Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
This is not the Rangers way.....

How many "youths" are on Edmonton and Florida, exactly?

Here, let me help you both:

Florida has ONE guy under 25 playing meaningful minutes in Lundell.

Everyone, that's EVERYONE else is 25 and over. And only one guy is 25.

Edmonton? Glad you asked.

One guy @ 22, two at 24 and the rest of the skaters are 27 and older

Playing guys, er, "youths" like Rempe isn't a magic bullet to win a cup. It's a magic bullet not to. The only way you're playing players like that is if they are exceptional - ie... Bouchard, Lafreniere, Lundell, etc...

The "Not the Rangers Way" Rangers, btw, played NINE players 25 and under.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
How many "youths" are on Edmonton and Florida, exactly?

Here, let me help you both:

Florida has ONE guy under 25 playing meaningful minutes in Lundell.

Everyone, that's EVERYONE else is 25 and over. And only one guy is 25.

Edmonton? Glad you asked.

One guy @ 22, two at 24 and the rest of the skaters are 27 and older

Playing guys, er, "youths" like Rempe isn't a magic bullet to win a cup. It's a magic bullet not to. The only way you're playing players like that is if they are exceptional - ie... Bouchard, Lafreniere, Lundell, etc...

The "Not the Rangers Way" Rangers, btw, played NINE players 25 and under.

Talk to Bern lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m a fan of it. Just don’t see it happening with Trouba still here.
Why
A 3rd pair defensman who has played less than 200 NHL games since entering the league in 2019? Even Kakko has 300 NHL games already and is 2 years younger.
Change of scenery dman with upside who is good at what rangers are bad at. There isn’t a perfect Kakko deal that exists. I think Liljegren could be better than third pair too. Toronto is weird I don’t trust their system or how they allocate their minutes to D

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lindgren and Kakko also both need new contracts this/next year anyway and Ehlers is a massively better player than either of them.

I don't think WPG would do that though.

I don't even think Ehlers is even close to how good he can be either, I'd love to get him . Last time we had guys with wheels like his would be Hagelin or grabber, and his skill level is much much higher

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kakko had 40 points at 22 years old, had a bad season because he sustained a bad injury.

Colton about to be 28 just hit a career high of 40 points this season.

Yea, i’m keeping the younger guy who is still developing.

Colton was also a 4th liner with Tampa when he broke in… he worked his way up to 3C with Colorado…
As far as shooting the puck and physical/in your face style of play, he certainly fills the role…..

As far as trading Kakko for him, it’s a different issue that can be discussed.

I would trade chytil for him though in a ny minute.
The reason I want Colton here is he is more dependable they chytil…
Both guys seem to do well in the playoffs.
The stuff chytil lacks, Colton is good at. He may not be as pure talented as chytil but def more dependable.
Rangers are close in terms of getting to the cup… they are in the top 5-6 teams in the league that can get there…..
I’m sick of trying to hope/pray ginger ale skull fil will be healthy after a nothing meaningless hit….
Putting chytil in a role that is important and counting on him to be healthy is a fools errand at this stage in his career…

Having him play great for a stretch is nice, then when he goes down, it’s a blow for the entire roster….
Our center position is non existent after Zibby and Tro, and Zibby can run cold at a moments notice. We need another C in the top 9 that isn’t allergic to body contact.
Counting on chytil ( injury case) and edstrom( rookie) as the only 2 other guys on the team is malpractice.
Having a shoot first center is important with the wingers we have.
Kakko is going to have his hands full with guys like Berard/othmann even perhaps chmelar at camp. The ladder already has the size/skating for the bigs.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
So? Let’s forget the draft position. It’s in the past. Let’s look at the player we have pro and con. He’s 23. He’s got some skills. Now if he’s part of a package to bring in a star, sure trade him. But to just move him for another guy? And older guy? No that’s just typical fan impatience. Kakko, Miller, Schneider still have room to improve. And they’re young enough to do it.
Has Kakko trended up in the last year? I wouldn’t trade him just for the heck of it, but if there’s a move that makes sense then do it. Kakko isn’t bringing back a star, but if you can make the team better than go for it. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that he stands to improve all that much.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
lol you wouldnt do Trouba for Fowler ?
Which part of No don’t you understand.

I live in the west and see the Ducks regularly.

No.

I ask knowing you’d know better than me, but I’d think Lindgren would be a player Verbeek would love.
I suspect you are right. Have no idea how he would fit into a deal though.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Then no deal needs to be made.
Doesn’t need to, but should be entertained. I see a guy who lacks the skill to play in a top 6 who doesn’t bring much to a bottom 6. Expecting the skill to come, or expecting his style of play to fit in a bottom 6 feels unrealistic. Don’t give him away, but if you can make the team better…

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
What's it take to get Ehlers, we need an injection of speed and scoring, I'm all aboard that. Would the 1st plus a prospect maybe Sykora do it? We desperately need speed on the wings, Kreider is slowing, Panarin was never a speedster, Laf is fine, other than that she's pretty slow.
Euro, fast, skilled, 5v5 animal. Probably not on Drurys radar

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Don't pretend to be dense just so you don't have to admit I was right.

Look, this is not rocket science, but since you insist on having me connect the dots for you...

1. play youth early in the season
2. accept growing pains during the season
3. notice maturity/development of youth during the season
4. youth is ready for POs

it's not hard to understand
lose the hate

But you wanted Rempe to get more time in the playoffs despite having.. your words.. "growing pains"

There is no room for growing pains in the playoffs.

Lav was correct to limit his time because of this. Was incorrect to dress him in the first place.

Reactions: Atax

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Has Kakko trended up in the last year? I wouldn’t trade him just for the heck of it, but if there’s a move that makes sense then do it. Kakko isn’t bringing back a star, but if you can make the team better than go for it. I’ve seen nothing to indicate that he stands to improve all that much.
He was injured for a good stretch last year so that kind of derailed his trending. I think we’d be giving up on him too soon.

Fans are so impatient. Except when they complain about guys we gave up on too early.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Drury can’t wait too long to pull the plug on this core or the value in a trade won’t be there. I think he has to do it this summer. Might be an unpopular thing to do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad