Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nobody has stuck with kreider and zib.

Maybe the answer is ti split them.

Also fwiw i think kakko has looked good with Chytil mostly. Kakko also has had injury problems.

I still think he can have a breakout year this year. He was trending that way the year before.
No one has stuck there (although their fancy stats with Kakko there are surprisingly good. There’s got to be a reason they are stuck together though, right? Need to make the puzzle pieces fit somehow

Counting on Chytil probably a mistake. I’m not saying Kakko doesn’t have untapped upside, I just don’t see what the plan is.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Was just assuming Rangers will always spending to the cap
It's not that easy to spend 100% to the cap. LTIR teams try to get as close as possible before placing the player on LTIR, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone get exactly to the cap. I think the Leafs got within 1 dollar a couple years ago. The gap could easily be 200k or more.

It may not end up being a huge difference, but it does represent a limitation on what we can spend. And then when you factor in that LTIR space can't be used to pay bonuses, that LTIR space can't be banked, and that the player on LTIR eats into our offseason 10% overage, it's less than ideal.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Ok, so what if he scored 40 one time? You see tons of players who scored a bunch in one season at a young age, never to do it again. There's nothing that says that he must score every year at least as much as he scored at the age of 21.
Sure there's no rule. However the list of NHLers that peaked in their 21yo season is pretty damn short, especially without some wildly freakish shooting percentage or something. Kakko had a bad year with a bad injury. Every other season he improved over the one before it. The smart money is on him continuing to improve for at least a couple of more seasons.

Reactions: bernmeister

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I would tend to agree that moving both Trouba and Lindgren in one offseason isn’t happening

My guess is that Trouba sticks around for one more year and Lindgren is the guy to move. Lindgren is easier to move and they’ll get something positive in return for him

At that point you have the RD set and now it’s figuring out which two players are going to be the best complement for them.

Reactions: MrAlmost

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Use CapFriendly while you can to run the numbers. You mentioned Lindgren and Trouba out, though, and seem to be assuming nothing coming back in either of those deals. That could be true with Lindgren, but I highly doubt it's possible with Trouba.

The deal I've suggested and seen posted elsewhere is Trouba for Holl, who makes 3.4 mil for 2 more years. He could be bought out in year 2, saving a big more.

At least some of the players you are signing are likely to get more than AFP projects.

I don't hate the Holl one, and that probably means no Dillon, likely.

My thought would be Lauzon + Glass + Picks from Nashville with a buyout of Glass immediately which only caries ~$0.4m dead cap hit for 2 years and then after the first year, likely trading Lauzon as he would only have 1 year left. I'm hoping that whatever they need to take back for Trouba is gone after 1 year, somehow.

It fits pretty easily for next year. And I assumed a signing of Stenlund as 4C and Vesey and Lauzon as extras
1718990830854.png

My concern is the following years

CapFriendly shows $92m in cap space next year which seems very low. Either way, with 9 forwards and 5D signed and that's it, they project $23m in cap space with Lafreniere, Shesty, Miller, Cuylle, Jones as RFA's and no backup goalie.

Seems too tight unless they could move Lauzon as I suggested earlier (to save ~$1m) and the cap really goes up to ~$94-96m (giving another $2-4m to play with)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

My thought would be Lauzon + Glass + Picks from Nashville with a buyout of Glass immediately which only caries ~$0.4m dead cap hit for 2 years and then after the first year, likely trading Lauzon as he would only have 1 year left. I'm hoping that whatever they need to take back for Trouba is gone after 1 year, somehow.

It fits pretty easily for next year. And I assumed a signing of Stenlund as 4C and Vesey and Lauzon as extras
View attachment 885211

CapFriendly shows $92m in cap space next year which seems very low. Either way, with 9 forwards and 5D signed and that's it, they project $23m in cap space with Lafreniere, Shesty, Miller, Cuylle, Jones as RFA's and no backup goalie.

Seems too tight unless they could move Lauzon as I suggested earlier (to save ~$1m) and the cap really goes up to ~$94-96m (giving another $2-4m to play with)
92 mil is the current projection. This year ended up being a little bit higher than the projection though, so it's possible the following year will be higher as well. I doubt it will be 94-96, but maybe 93 is possible.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
92 mil is the current projection. This year ended up being a little bit higher than the projection though, so it's possible the following year will be higher as well. I doubt it will be 94-96, but maybe 93 is possible.

Even with the SC Final going long and Edmonton reportedly pulling in well? I was really hoping...

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It sucks that it would be admitting that the team doesn't know how to rebuild with youth though.

Respectfully, who gives a crap? It’s time to win. They can’t go into next season with Igor and Lafreniere on the last year of their deals and a bunch of question marks like Lindgren Chytil and Kakko taking up lineup spots and cap space. I’d love to include Trouba there but they need a dance partner for that. There’s also at least a light at the end of the tunnel with that contract.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
No one has stuck there (although their fancy stats with Kakko there are surprisingly good. There’s got to be a reason they are stuck together though, right? Need to make the puzzle pieces fit somehow

Counting on Chytil probably a mistake. I’m not saying Kakko doesn’t have untapped upside, I just don’t see what the plan is.
Would love to know the reason. Its becoming less clear now as their 5v5 numbers are not as good and it seems no RW is capable of sticking with them.

Its been a hole for what 5 years now? Maybe they are the problem. I never understood why a coach wouldnt try splitting then, even for like 5 games. You can always put them back together.

Kreider-chytil-kakko seems like it would be a good line.

Cuylle-zib- whoever zib forgets exists would be the other.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site

I feel like 1 year deals are going to be our friend this summer.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I'm ok if they keep or trade KK. But let's be honest about what we're seeing - this isn't going be a star 2OA.

23 may not be Social Security, but it's right around the corner from a player's peak. While different players may peak at different times, the NHL average is about 24 years old, which would be at the start of the next calendar year. We all root for KK to succeed, but at this point, if he breaks out, we going to call him a surprising late bloomer.
So? Let’s forget the draft position. It’s in the past. Let’s look at the player we have pro and con. He’s 23. He’s got some skills. Now if he’s part of a package to bring in a star, sure trade him. But to just move him for another guy? And older guy? No that’s just typical fan impatience. Kakko, Miller, Schneider still have room to improve. And they’re young enough to do it.

Reactions: mas0764

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY

If we dont win the Cup next year i wouls mot be surprised to see Drury make drastic moves with Kreider, trouba and maybe even Panarin.

Thats what inwould so bc it is obvious that core wont get it done then and they are all on their last year of contracts.

You could even retain on all three for Max return.

Then have a mini retool while laf takes the lead and the assets develop.

And no we still wont trade Zib bc nobody wants that contract.

Reactions: NYR Viper

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would love to know the reason. Its becoming less clear now as their 5v5 numbers are not as good and it seems no RW is capable of sticking with them.

Its been a hole for what 5 years now? Maybe they are the problem. I never understood why a coach wouldnt try splitting then, even for like 5 games. You can always put them back together.

Kreider-chytil-kakko seems like it would be a good line.

Cuylle-zib- whoever zib forgets exists would be the other.
I really don’t think the answer to helping Mika is putting him with worse offensive players

Reactions: Barnaby

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Haha true, but who could slot with him?

They are a real problem 5v5 that has no easy solution.
I don’t think they are going to change a ton with the forwards. If you can get a guy like Kane to take a deal like Duchene took that’s one way to do it, but I think they need to be prioritizing the defense first and then they can figure that spot out

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don’t think they are going to change a ton with the forwards. If you can get a guy like Kane to take a deal like Duchene took that’s one way to do it, but I think they need to be prioritizing the defense first and then they can figure that spot out
Agree on figuring out d first.

Need people who can transition with puck.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
I would tend to agree that moving both Trouba and Lindgren in one offseason isn’t happening

My guess is that Trouba sticks around for one more year and Lindgren is the guy to move. Lindgren is easier to move and they’ll get something positive in return for him

At that point you have the RD set and now it’s figuring out which two players are going to be the best complement for them.
Trouba would be easy to move too(not any harder than Lindy). Rangers could retain on him. Only 2 years left on his deal. If teams arent interested in him @$4M for 2 years, that says something in an of itself. I wouldnt hate a buyout if no trade is on the table.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Respectfully, who gives a crap? It’s time to win. They can’t go into next season with Igor and Lafreniere on the last year of their deals and a bunch of question marks like Lindgren Chytil and Kakko taking up lineup spots and cap space. I’d love to include Trouba there but they need a dance partner for that. There’s also at least a light at the end of the tunnel with that contract.
Respectfully, most of us do
AND IT IS TIME to realize bern is right, stop w/win now feel good moves that waste assets and don't work
AND INSTEAD
extend the freakin window

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Trouba would be easy to move too(not any harder than Lindy). Rangers could retain on him. Only 2 years left on his deal. If teams arent interested in him @$4M for 2 years, that says something in an of itself. I wouldnt hate a buyout if no trade is on the table.
Well ones the captain and the other isn’t which you left out.

Could they move Trouba, yeah, I just don’t think it’s likely.

The issue here is also that (theoretically) Lindgren is a bigger issue than Trouba. You can bury Trouba. and Lavi has, on the third pairing and just deal with his mistakes in a way lesser role

Lindgren on the other hand is actively glued to Fox and making him worse like Girardi did to McDonagh. And seemingly they will not split them up.

So I’d rather take the decision out of Lavi’s hands on Lindgren and just move him

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
bold: if true, this is where they have to bend, buckle, and break and admit bern has been right, they have been wrong, and they need to develop youth by playing, even if it means growing pains.
End result is better, and ultimately cannot be denied.

comment:
your tagline MHFGA may be challenged in that HF in varying degrees has usually been great!

How would that make you right? They are young players in the organization and will get their chance to play on a regular basis at some point.

The playoffs were not the time for those 'growing pains'

Maybe you are admitting that now?

Last edited:

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Well ones the captain and the other isn’t which you left out.

Could they move Trouba, yeah, I just don’t think it’s likely.

The issue here is also that (theoretically) Lindgren is a bigger issue than Trouba. You can bury Trouba. and Lavi has, on the third pairing and just deal with his mistakes in a way lesser role

Lindgren on the other hand is actively glued to Fox and making him worse like Girardi did to McDonagh. And seemingly they will not split them up.

So I’d rather take the decision out of Lavi’s hands on Lindgren and just move him
I feel like the same risk you're worried about with Lindy is present with Trouba because he IS the captain(overplaying him). I also like the idea of nixing the captain right now. I dont think he's bringing enough on the ice where it matters. Time for a change there.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
I feel like the same risk you're worried about with Lindy is present with Trouba because he IS the captain(overplaying him). I also like the idea of nixing the captain right now. I dont think he's bringing enough on the ice where it matters. Time for a change there.
And who becomes captain? This group has no one willing to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad