Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

The EF segment was recorded yesterday. Same names as usual for the Rangers.

EF discussed the Necas situation coming to a head in Carolina. it seems Necas was in the Pettersson trade.

Sam Reinhart. Florida traded a 1st and Devon Levi to Buffalo for Reinhart. Florida got him before he blew up in Florida.

Necas would be very good for the Rangers.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

EF discussed the Necas situation coming to a head in Carolina. it seems Necas was in the Pettersson trade.

Sam Reinhart. Florida traded a 1st and Devon Levi to Buffalo for Reinhart. Florida got him before he blew up in Florida.

Why is Carolina trading him here when we are in a playoff race with them. People telling me Guentzel and Buch arent realistic but Necas is? Thats a team that will make us pay a tax.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Maybe i havent watched enough of Robertson lately but why is everyone tryin to trade him? Imo he's the long term answer to our bottom pair and maybe even bottom 4. He has the tools to be a good nhl dman. If he's gone next year then who we got? I'm assuming Jones is gone.
Even if you aren't in love with his game you have to consider that Gustafsson could walk.

He's signed for 825K and may want to test free agency after a couple of strong seasons.

That leaves Jones who's signed another year at 812K - is he in the Rangers plans to take his spot if Gus walks? You need another LHD to follow up and Roberston would be the next man up...

But hold up a minute - Mackey just reupped for 2 years @ 775K... and they like him.

That may be a hint that they are dangling Roberston. But its really about how the org feels about his game. Hes long and can skate. They like those types of Dmen

Last edited:

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
If Buch comes here, who is he replacing on the PP? In St.Louis, he's playing all the important offensive minutes/roles. He won't be doing that here, that's for sure! Of course that will lead to decreased production/expectations and we gave up a huge chunk of our future for a player playing in a limited role

With this logic, why bother going after any top 6 forward than. We arent acquiring any RW thats gonna uproot a PP1 forward, but yet we still need a solid top 6 RW......

Reactions: cheech70

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
EF said the asking price for Vatrano is high. The Rangers don't want to trade a 1st for him. The Rangers would look dumb trading a 1st for Vatrano after trading a 4th for him and then not keeping him at $3.65M AAV. Elliotte said Verbeek set his asking price for Henrique last year with one season remaining on the contract. Verbeek is using the strategy with Vatrano. Nobody has met the Henrique asking price yet.

Drury needs to find the next Vatrano.
Will be a great job by Verbeek when Henrique is left on the roster and walks in the summer after no team wants to touch the ask.

Could understand the ask on Vatrano with the year hes had and his extra term.

Reactions: haveandare

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Even if you aren't in love with his game you have to consider that Gustafsson could walk.

He's signed for 825K and may want to test free agency after a couple of strong seasons.

That leaves Jones who's signed another year at 812K - is he in the Rangers plans to take his spot if Gus walks? You need another LHD to follow up and Roberston would be the next man up...

But hold up a minute - Mackey just reupped for 2 years @ 775K...

That may be a hint that they are dangling Roberston. But its really about how the org feels about his game. Hes long and can skate. They like those types of Dmen

Jones (because he has value and is legitimately blocked) and Robertson are clearly trade chips with how Drury has dealt with the organization depth on D. Harpur, Scanlin & Mackey have all been signed to extensions in the past calendar year. Speaks volumes imo.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
god a second PLUS for wennberg is hard to stomach. he's not good.
A second is too much. Hope it settles on a 3rd. But this kinda illuminates what the center market is right now. Dry

Anyone have a scouting report on wennberg

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I think with Robertson it's just been slow progress. I think he's gotten to the point where you might say he's a good AHL defenseman or better than the average. If he keeps progressing he will probably get an NHL chance but I don't see him as a legit threat at this point to any of our 6 regulars so there's no point in trying to force-feed him into the league. We're into winning as many games as possible.
For sure, i guess my issue is that his value is likely at an all time low so why not just keep him around in hopes he turns the corner. He was unreal in the CHL

Reactions: Kendo

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Maybe i havent watched enough of Robertson lately but why is everyone tryin to trade him? Imo he's the long term answer to our bottom pair and maybe even bottom 4. He has the tools to be a good nhl dman. If he's gone next year then who we got? I'm assuming Jones is gone.

He sucks. Dude is slow footed and gets burned every time I go to watch the Pack. He'll be burned nightly in the NHL.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

But hold up a minute - Mackey just reupped for 2 years @ 775K... and they like him.

They also re-upped Scanlin for 2 years

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why is Carolina trading him here when we are in a playoff race with them. People telling me Guentzel and Buch arent realistic but Necas is? Thats a team that will make us pay a tax.
Necas just turned 25 last month and is a pending RFA. Guentzel turns 30 in October and Buch turns 29 in April. Both are pending UFAs.

You might be right that Carolina won't trade him to us, but as far as why we'd target Necas over the other two, it isn't that hard to understand.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For sure, i guess my issue is that his value is likely at an all time low so why not just keep him around in hopes he turns the corner. He was unreal in the CHL

Why is it at an all-time low? He's 22, has 20 points in 49 games and has showed progression this year as compared to last year. He's 6'4. I think there would be teams who are in need of a bottom-pairing guy next year who may look at him and think 'we can work on some things but the tools are there'.

Wait his skating was supposed to be a plus? Like every scouting report has his skating as a plus.

Yeah, his skating is a plus. I'm not sure what he was seeing.

Reactions: surlysailor

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Why is it at an all-time low? He's 22, has 20 points in 49 games and has showed progression this year as compared to last year. He's 6'4. I think there would be teams who are in need of a bottom-pairing guy next year who may look at him and think 'we can work on some things but the tools are there'.

Yeah, his skating is a plus. I'm not sure what he was seeing.
I guess this is why I'm saying to keep him, he's likely not moving the needle enough to bring in a top 6 winger or a center. We could easily substitute another player in another area of less need.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Panarin Zibs Laffy
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Wennberg Vesey

I don’t know at this point. We’re a mess at 5v5

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Necas just turned 25 last month and is a pending RFA. Guentzel turns 30 in October and Buch turns 29 in April. Both are pending UFAs.

You might be right that Carolina won't trade him to us, but as far as why we'd target Necas over the other two, it isn't that hard to understand.

Buch is not a pending UFA

Panarin Zibs Laffy
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Wennberg Vesey

Bad move to breakup our one line that works to accommodate the Wonder Twins. It's the primary reason Laviolette hasnt done so yet imo.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Panarin Zibs Laffy
Kreider Trocheck Kakko
Cuylle Wennberg Vesey

Wennberg won’t be the only move.

I would bang down Dubas’ door until he says he isn’t moving Crosby or moving him to NYR. Or Crosby says the same.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wouldn't want to trade young sparkplug Kaapo Kakko for a washed up PPG winger.

This is what Im saying. Who cares about Guentzel's age? Borderline elite winger for a guy who gets a ticker tape parade for a 5 game point streak. Its a no brainer.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Bad move to breakup our one line that works to accommodate the Wonder Twins. It's the primary reason Laviolette hasnt done so yet imo.
It has to be tried at this point. We have nothing else. Give it a few games to see if we can have more than 1 line playing well

We need to get Kreider and Mika engaged. There's no way around it. I do not think any RW changes that line. So break them up and hope others click.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
It has to be tried at this point. We have nothing else. Give it a few games to see if we can have more than 1 line playing well

We need to get Kreider and Mika engaged. There's no way around it. I do not think any RW changes that line. So break them up and hope others click.

They already are engaged, in a giant bromance with not a care in the hockey world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad