Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Does Kerfoot make any sense? One more year at 3.5 million. Last year I wanted no part of Bjugstad but the thought of an Edstrom-Bjugstad-Rempe 4th line would make me crack up.

I mentioned Kerfoot earlier as well and trust me - I've also thought of that 4th line 3 headed monster LOL

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This has to be one of the worst TDL crops in recent memory.

The Athletic big board:

1. Guentzel
2. Markstrom (and prob not moving)
3. Hanifin (sounds like a Florida team)
4. Sean Walker (legit never heard of him until the TDL)
5. Henrique (LOL)
6. Vatrano (LOL)
7. Wennberg (LOL)
8. Dumba (is he moving?)
9. Tarasenko
10. Toffoli (likely not moving?)

So 3 actual difference makers. 1 likely not moving,

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Maybe i havent watched enough of Robertson lately but why is everyone tryin to trade him? Imo he's the long term answer to our bottom pair and maybe even bottom 4. He has the tools to be a good nhl dman. If he's gone next year then who we got? I'm assuming Jones is gone.

Reactions: bernmeister

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They’re in on guentzel because they’re not in his division, won’t need to overpay and are further into their windows.

Not sure what "further into their window" means, but what exactly are we waiting for if we arent currently there? And Dubas is not going to make the Rangers pay a division tax. He is going to take the best deal out there, because the Pens have 0 in terms of futures.. He was hired because he doesnt care as much about Crosby, Malkin and Letang's feelings as Jim Rutherford did. Nor should he.

Drury has the assets and flexibility to get any player he wants.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Maybe i havent watched enough of Robertson lately but why is everyone tryin to trade him? Imo he's the long term answer to our bottom pair and maybe even bottom 4. He has the tools to be a good nhl dman. If he's gone next year then who we got? I'm assuming Jones is gone.

Probably because he’s not waiver exempt next year

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

He still roams a bit. His skating is a plus and his size is a plus but I don't see a long-term NHL future there. He gets caught out of position too much

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Cause he’s not good. Having tools means nothing if you can’t do anything with them

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
The Chytil injury really screwed things up for rangers this season. As stated, we need a serviceable 3C ( Have to assume that Chytil is one hit away from having his career ended ) and a RW, just bring back Kevin Hayes ( who already has 50% retention on his deal in STL ) and Buch.

I dont think they will cost us an arm and a leg and both still have a year left on their contracts after this year.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: tiggles and tlk

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The facts say they are a true contender currently. Why are they waiting "a couple years" to deal with spots in the lineup that are issues now? Is Drury going to fire himself in the meantime because thats whats going to happen if they arent addressed promptly.
I didn't say (or meant to imply) that they should wait, but the honest truth is I'm not sure the glaring holes can be filled by Fri

I know the point totals say they're contenders. I don't see it that way.

The honest truth is hard to swallow but the regression of some vital players will be impossible to overcome.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
you definitely haven't

he's very mediocre even at the AHL level

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I didn't say (or meant to imply) that they should wait, but the honest truth is I'm not sure the glaring holes can be filled by Fri

I know the point totals say they're contenders. I don't see it that way.

The honest truth is hard to swallow but the regression of some vital players will be impossible to overcome.

Maybe to you but the honest truth to me is that if Florida is the best team in the east, Im not scared of them, or any other team in our conference. Especially when we are filling the Panthers building with our fans. Get guys who are good enough to play 3C and top 6 wing instead of the crap we've been putting there all season and I have a feeling the underlying numbers everyone is obsessed with will improve.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
If Buch comes here, who is he replacing on the PP? In St.Louis, he's playing all the important offensive minutes/roles. He won't be doing that here, that's for sure! Of course that will lead to decreased production/expectations and we gave up a huge chunk of our future for a player playing in a limited role here...

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If Buch comes here, who is he replacing on the PP? In St.Louis, he's playing all the important offensive minutes/roles. He won't be doing that here, that's for sure! Of course that will lead to decreased production/expectations and we gave up a huge chunk of our future for a player playing in a limited role here...

Could always have him replace Igor on the PP and turn them all into 6 on 4s.

• Haha
Reactions: effen and Graves94

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Who cares about padding his point totals on the PP? We need an even strength scorer in the top 6 and he is one.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I doubt Buch comes badk but he would allow us to roll 2 units

PP1: Kreider, Panarin, Trocheck, Zibanejad, Fox
PP2: Lafreniere, Wennberg*, Buchnevich*, Cuylle/Vesey, Gustafson

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Who cares about padding his point totals on the PP? We need an even strength scorer in the top 6 and he is one.
Yeah...we don't want a grumpy Buch. The PP is like a toy for kids, you take that away and they start to cry, eventually the crying will spill over to the other kids and pretty soon they all start to cry...

Reactions: majordomo and CLW

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think with Robertson it's just been slow progress. I think he's gotten to the point where you might say he's a good AHL defenseman or better than the average. If he keeps progressing he will probably get an NHL chance but I don't see him as a legit threat at this point to any of our 6 regulars so there's no point in trying to force-feed him into the league. We're into winning as many games as possible.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I doubt Buch comes badk but he would allow us to roll 2 units

PP1: Kreider, Panarin, Trocheck, Zibanejad, Fox
PP2: Lafreniere, Wennberg*, Buchnevich*, Cuylle/Vesey, Gustafson

The Rangers tried this with some success after they got Tarasenko last year, but abandoned it when Kane showed up on his peg leg

Reactions: Mikachu93

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
His raw point totals would be not really relevant. That goes for anyone they acquire. The question to be asked is are they good 5v5 producers and Buch for example would fall into that category. Plus he would be on the PK, PP2 and the top line. He's not coming back but your argument is not the appropriate one.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
The Rangers tried this with some success after they got Tarasenko last year, but abandoned it when Kane showed up on his peg leg
I'm hoping they consider splitting the units up again once reinforcements arrive. PP1 has ran ice cold and its clear teams have studied how to defend it. Have to keep teams guessing a bit.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
His raw point totals would be not really relevant. That goes for anyone they acquire. The question to be asked is are they good 5v5 producers and Buch for example would fall into that category. Plus he would be on the PK, PP2 and the top line. He's not coming back but your argument is not the appropriate one.
The top line is the Trochek line, and he would not be on the top PP (maybe get 20-30 seconds of mop up PP time on the 2nd unit). Your point about him producing with the wonder twins on 5V5 is valid though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad