Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
The same people who dont want to trade a 2nd for Wennberg are the ones who will be crying about how much Laviolette plays Goodrow and Brodzisnki.

The team desperately needs another top 6 player. Kakko isnt it. If they bring in Wennberg and another top 6 player it gives Laviolette the flexibility to separate Mika and Kreider. I feel like the hesitancy has been due to the fact that if they give Mika new wingers, Kreider is forced to play with Goodrow/Brodzinski, because taking Trocheck off his line is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-(Top 6 RW)

Im not line numbering but thats a solid top 9 with plenty of depth with Goodrow, Vesey, Rempe, Edstrom, Jonny B able to make solid 4th line in some form.
I like this

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yea that was the lower end, I could see him getting more, especially with the cap going up.

Again, there is a clear long-term need for a top 6 winger and we are in our championship window. The Rangers are going to have an entire bottom 6 of guys ELC and sub 1mil cap hits. The only guy who has top 6 upside who is close is Othmann, and teams will championship hopes arent relying on rookies to fill their biggest needs. Go get Guentzel, Buchnevich, Tuch. Someone like that. Especially if Verbeek is going to make them pay through the nostrils for Frankie effing Vatrano.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Can someone give me a reason why the Rangers shouldn't trade Kakko and a 1st for Jake Guenztel? Legitimate 1st line talent and multi-Cup winning playoff performer. No one can deal the assets we can.

And honestly, they should extend him if they acquire him. He is in the same age range as the rest of our core, and the Cap is going up. It's not going to preclude us from signing Igor, Laf and K'Andre.

Someone convince me its the wrong move.
Only if we can keep him, i have no interst in that deal if we can't. Sounds like the pens want roster players instead of picks though.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If an extended Guentzal(at a # that fits) was on the table Drury would be moving mountains to make that happen.

He’s an absolute game changer. Just not sure how realistic that is.

Pens will make it hurt but Dubas is not loyal to the Penguins lore. We can do it. Idk if Pit would even want Kakko but Othmann is on the table in that kind of move for sure. You pray Othmann ever comes close to what Guentzel can do.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
As I said before he got moved we should have gotten Monohan. Ofcourse there was talk of Gorton not wanting to deal with us but my guess is he'd be interested in guys he drafted over guys he didnt know as well, i just didn't buy it. Monohan was the best center of this deadline and a guy who could go to wing as well.
NO
outrageous win now overpay/too risky and ultimately = epic fail
glad someone else crazy overpaid

Kakko is less noticeable in games than Cuylle, Edstrom and Rempe. Othmann had 5 shots on goal in his NHL debut. Kakko does nothing. We have nothing but young wingers and Kakko's value will only go down from here on if this is the player he is (looking likely). Trade him this week for a top 6 upgrade and call up an energetic young guy in Berard who Im assuming can at least be Motte with a little more offense.
NO on trading KK
give him actual opportunity to succeed w/complementary linemates = chemistry
Him + Cuyl look fine, then they gotta waste time w/desperation moves on 1RW b'c Zib has forgotten how to work w/Kreider
Stop
make due w/Brodz as makeshift stopgap now and eventually get a REAL pivot who is a fit long term [like Zegras, e.g.,]

Cuylle outside of the goal last night has been pretty invisible since Kakko left that line, Brodz has fallen off a cliff too.
See above
You can't expect players to mesh and develop chemistry if you keep uprooting the line

2nd+ is a little high but maybe Drury thinks he can recoup a 2nd for Jones. A team like Arizona maybe? They have 10(!) 2nds over the next 3 years including 2 of ours lol

Drury has to be in on Buchnevich and Guenztel. I like that he asked about Tuch. Maye there's another guy out there we havent thought of. But for all the hand wringing on Mika & Kreider, they've been playing with 3rd & 4th liners for 3 seasons. Time to turn some assets into a difference maker.
1. Drury is not deranged enuf to think Jones alone gets a 2nd
Jones + 3rd to ugrade to a 2nd, reasonably possible, but not a 2nd outright

2. NO
we do not have to be in on super expensive pieces that fuel win now addiction and do not work in the long run

first try Oth/Ber at RW on zib line
then try Eds at pivot, slide Zib to RW
if both those are not sufficient, post season we can see what options there are

while we could USE mo better F help, we do not need same

D, esp RD is our thinnest = therefore weakest spot

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Again, there is a clear long-term need for a top 6 winger and we are in our championship window. The Rangers are going to have an entire bottom 6 of guys ELC and sub 1mil cap hits. The only guy who has top 6 upside who is close is Othmann, and teams will championship hopes arent relying on rookies to fill their biggest needs. Go get Guentzel, Buchnevich, Tuch. Someone like that. Especially if Verbeek is going to make them pay through the nostrils for Frankie effing Vatrano.

There really isn't though.

I'd argue that Cuylle, Kakko, Lafreniere, Berard, Othmann, Perrault are solid options for top-6 duty. Not every top-6 winger needs to be a ppg. And this assumes Kreider and Panarin fall of the map, which they won't.

The key will be to find players that make others around them better. For example, do we care if, in 3 years, the first line has Cuylle and Perrault on it even if we don't 'see' Cuylle as a top-line forward but they play well? I don't.

I'm much more concerned with finding a center or another good LD than finding a winger.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Can someone give me a reason why the Rangers shouldn't trade Kakko and a 1st for Jake Guenztel? Legitimate 1st line talent and multi-Cup winning playoff performer. No one can deal the assets we can.

And honestly, they should extend him if they acquire him. He is in the same age range as the rest of our core, and the Cap is going up. It's not going to preclude us from signing Igor, Laf and K'Andre.

Someone convince me its the wrong move.
b'c bern has been proven right, win now = epic fail, long term KK has sufficient upside to keep, just needs correct linemates [1 more w/Cuylle], and CAP REALITY, can't cripple upcoming seasons by losing cheaper youth for mo expensive vets

get off the win now addiction

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Trade Kakko for a center and our rw is Laf, Vesey, Rempe, Pitlick.

Why do people act like we have anything on the wings. Kakko has been such a disappointment that Lafreniere is now the top RW on the team. Cuylle is a 3rd line guy on a good team, with upside to be more in his prime (still 3-4 years away). Rempe and Edstrom will be good bottom 6 guys. Berard and Othmann have potential but our core of stars is 30. Gotta be aggressive, and willing to extend a player of that caliber. Why are the Knights, Oilers, and other contenders interested in him but we arent?

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’m hoping they get enough bodied to have Brodzinski as the 13 th F and the Giants in Hartford

Goodrow needs to hit the wing he won’t get dealt

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Trade Kakko for a center and our rw is Laf, Vesey, Rempe, Pitlick.

Othmann and Berard are learning to play RW and Perrault is also a RW.

Pens will make it hurt but Dubas is not loyal to the Penguins lore. We can do it. Idk if Pit would even want Kakko but Othmann is on the table in that kind of move for sure. You pray Othmann ever comes close to what Guentzel can do.

The issue is there is a salary cap. What's more valuable, Guentzel @ $8m or Othmann, assuming he can get to 40 points, @ $900k. It's not a direct comparison of the players only

Reactions: Unpredictable1

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
There really isn't though.

I'd argue that Cuylle, Kakko, Lafreniere, Berard, Othmann, Perrault are solid options for top-6 duty. Not every top-6 winger needs to be a ppg. And this assumes Kreider and Panarin fall of the map, which they won't.

The key will be to find players that make others around them better. For example, do we care if, in 3 years, the first line has Cuylle and Perrault on it even if we don't 'see' Cuylle as a top-line forward but they play well? I don't.

I'm much more concerned with finding a center or another good LD than finding a winger.

Kakko is very clearly not a good top 6 option. Cuylle is a 3rd line player at this stage. Berard has never played an NHL game and Othmann is still a year away by all accounts. Perrault most likely 2 or 3 years out. Odds are most of those guys are going to top out as middle 6 players, with Perrault being the guy with the most upside.

I know people dont want to hear this but waiting for prospects to develop has held this team back over the last couple years. We traded Buch so Kakko and Kravtsov could whine about ice time and produce nothing. And to say we dont have a need on the wing is wild. This is our 3rd straight season scouring the deadline market for a right wing lol.

Othmann and Berard are learning to play RW and Perrault is also a RW.

The issue is there is a salary cap. What's more valuable, Guentzel @ $8m or Othmann, assuming he can get to 40 points, @ $900k. It's not a direct comparison of the players only

Guentzel scoring 30 goals and 70 points would be far more valuable than hoping Othmann cracks 40 points with no PP time.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Kakko is very clearly not a good top 6 option. Cuylle is a 3rd line player at this stage. Berard has never played an NHL game and Othmann is still a year away by all accounts. Perrault most likely 2 or 3 years out. Odds are most of those guys are going to top out as middle 6 players, with Perrault being the guy with the most upside.

I know people dont want to hear this but waiting for prospects to develop has held this team back over the last couple years. We traded Buch so Kakko and Kravtsov could whine about ice time and produce nothing. And to say we dont have a need on the wing is wild. This is our 3rd straight season scouring the deadline market for a right wing lol.

Guentzel scoring 30 goals and 70 points would be far more valuable than hoping Othmann cracks 40 points with no PP time.
You really wanna pay a 30 year old, who's never proven he can produce away from Cindy, 7-8 years @$8.5M? Because not only are the Pens gonna extort us to get him, that's what it's been reported he's looking for in his next contract.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think you're misconstruing what I am saying. I agree adding Guentzel now would be helpful. What I disagree with is that when you sign a player like Guentzel, who is likely to get 6-7 years, you have to look down the road. Guentzel isn't Panarin. Panarin was 27 when he became a UFA and you even said you're concerned as Panarin and Kreider age. What do you think will happen with Guentzel in year 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7? You have to look at what is coming and the cost/benefit of the acquisition and the long term benefit/hindrance of their cap hit.

The Rangers aren't in dire need of another wing. They just aren't.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I am not to sure about this being the year. Modest upgrades with no 1st rders and none of our top 6 prospects. I wouldn't trade Rempe for Vatrano. If Mika is gonna be who he is this year the run is over before it starts. We have lots of options moving forward.
Igor- Does Quick signing mean that Igor could be trade bait at draft? Garand and Jonathan for next year?
79-4-23 are the core on Defense- Trouba and 55 are trade bait
20 also needs to be considered as trade bait
All these moves do not require player approvals and can quickly reset the team. Cap space and a plethora of UFA can change the makeup of our flawed team.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
You really wanna pay a 30 year old, who's never proven he can produce away from Cindy, 7-8 years @$8.5M? Because not only are the Pens gonna extort us to get him, that's what it's been reported he's looking for in his next contract.

Watching Guentzel all this years he never struck me as a guy be carried by Crosby. At a certain point the Rangers need to shit or get off the pot and make a difference making move. How many has-beens or never-was do we need to try in the top 6? We have a core of stars in their 30s. As much as I'd love to live in the fantasyland that all our prospects are going to work out, now is the time to make a move. Why is it that Vegas, Edmonton, Vancouver, etc are all in on Guentzel and we arent? We should be. Fortune favors the bold.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad