Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I want to see Drury make another run at Tuch before Friday. We have the assets to get him. Buffalo is such a sad franchise they probably couldn’t trade him if they wanted to because of the optics. Kakko, Lindgren++? I’d do it. We need a straight line top 6 guy.
I don't think there's anything the Rangers have Buffalo would want. They need vet pieces.

Depending on your opinion of him, you can probably snag Peyton Krebs from them. Old Rangers braintrust was very high on him.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Too bad that Panarin line has been the only one to click this year, it's made Laviolette hesitant to break it up and now it seems like he feels its too late to make any major line changes. He fiddled with the combinations early in the year but somethings gotta give 5v5. That AP line's success is almost counteractive. They've been good enough that they've become a crutch and he isn't willing to risk breaking them up to find better combos. Now we're in a spot where we have 1 competent line. The third looked like it was coming together but was altered to try jumpstarting the first. We're in a good position here, Lavi should be using this time to experiment with other line combinations again. Try Laf with the bromance, break up the bromace, anything... this team cannot have only 1 line that works in the playoffs.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I don't think there's anything the Rangers have Buffalo would want. They need vet pieces.

Depending on your opinion of him, you can probably snag Peyton Krebs from them. Old Rangers braintrust was very high on him.
The question is how’s his skating. If so I wouldn’t mind that kinda swing.

Too bad that Panarin line has been the only one to click this year, it's made Laviolette hesitant to break it up and now it seems like he feels its too late to make any major line changes. He fiddled with the combinations early in the year but somethings gotta give 5v5. That AP line's success is almost counteractive. They've been good enough that they've become a crutch and he isn't willing to risk breaking them up to find better combos. Now we're in a spot where we have 1 competent line. The third looked like it was coming together but was altered to try jumpstarting the first. We're in a good position here, Lavi should be using this time to experiment with other line combinations again. Try Laf with the bromance, break up the bromace, anything... this team cannot have only 1 line that works in the playoffs.
He’s tried it in shifts, and I know it’s slow but his tone is the bromance doesn’t have much more left.

Also tonight Mika was out w cuylle and vesey for a Shift and immediately actually drove play for a bit.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Does Kerfoot make any sense? One more year at 3.5 million. Last year I wanted no part of Bjugstad but the thought of an Edstrom-Bjugstad-Rempe 4th line would make me crack up.

Last edited:

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
Does Kerfoot make any sense? One more year at 3.5 million. Last year I wanted no part of Bjugstad but the thought of an Edstrom-Bjugstad-Rempe 4th line would make me crack up.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
He lost the main piece that was going to give him that flexibility. Not having Chytil hurts so many ways. Trocheck was slotted to be the 3rd checking center with Cuylle and Wheeler.

They've played with a lot of crutches for players. Adding a couple middle 6 players will let him experiment and see what works.

Laviolette does a lot of in game things like two centers for defensive zone draws, adding someone he will use will make guys fresher.

The players they add will have a purpose outside of playing 8 minutes and getting mostly OZ face-off. The big guys definitely bring an energy that will be effective soon enough, but Laviolette doesn't trust them yet.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
The Post has learned that the Blueshirts are engaging in negotiations with Seattle over rental center Alex Wennberg, identified two weeks ago in this space as a target. Wennberg, 29, is a two-way, responsible center who can also play up on the wing if that is preferred or required. The Blueshirts are believed to be offering a second-rounder plus a mid-level prospect for the Swede.

We are told that Anaheim GM Pat Verbeek is demanding a heavy price for Vatrano, who has one additional year left on his contract and we are also told that Drury is balking at sacrificing a first-rounder to bring No. 77 back to New York two years after his role in the run to the conference finals.

And no, Kakko most certainly is not in play for a deal anything like this.

Reactions: Cmox

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Even a 2nd.....a late 2nd would be too much for me.

Well that’s the cost for these guys it’s not shocking.

My question is more after getting a C let’s say for a 2nd what is left for a RW? Ideally they keep their 1sts.

That’s why I think Jones is in play
They can find a depth D to replace him for a late pick and even grab a vet AHL call up option

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
EF said the asking price for Vatrano is high. The Rangers don't want to trade a 1st for him. The Rangers would look dumb trading a 1st for Vatrano after trading a 4th for him and then not keeping him at $3.65M AAV. Elliotte said Verbeek set his asking price for Henrique last year with one season remaining on the contract. Verbeek is using the strategy with Vatrano. Nobody has met the Henrique asking price yet.

Drury needs to find the next Vatrano.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
god a second PLUS for wennberg is hard to stomach. he's not good.

Go ahead and name a better option that won’t cost a 2nd

The markets pretty thin. Wennberg is Steady and better than what that currently have

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think if the Rangers do trade for Wennberg it ends up being a 2026 #3 (it's the next third round pick the team has) and Robertson.

The reason for Robertson is due to the pick being 3 drafts from now.

I just can't see Wennberg fetching a 2nd.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Martin Necas is apparently available in a trade. Brooks wrote Necas was being discussed in trades. Carolina made a big offer to Vancouver for Pettersson. Necas was probably in that offer. $3M cap hit. He will be a group II with arbitration rights this summer. Carolina likes their Finns. Kakko? Carolina is apparently after Guentzel. I would give Carolina the 1st round pick for Necas. Carolina will probably stand pat as they always do at the deadline.

Joel Farabee is having a good season after having ADR surgery. He wanted out of Philadelphia last season. There were rumors he didn't like playing for Torts. Farabee takes some dumb penalties and Torts is ready to lose his mind. Torts shakes his head and bites his lip. Is Farabee available? $5M cap hit. Signed for 4 more seasons.

I think if the Rangers do trade for Wennberg it ends up being a 2026 #3 (it's the next third round pick the team has) and Robertson.

The reason for Robertson is due to the pick being 3 drafts from now.

I just can't see Wennberg fetching a 2nd.
Why not? The Bruins and Avs are apparently interested in Wennberg. Both teams don't have second round picks this year. The Rangers do.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Martin Necas is apparently available in a trade. Brooks wrote Necas was being discussed in trades. Carolina made a big offer to Vancouver for Pettersson. Necas was probably in that offer. $3M cap hit. He will be a group II with arbitration rights this summer. Carolina likes their Finns. Kakko? Carolina is apparently after Guentzel. I would give Carolina the 1st round pick for Necas. Carolina will probably stand pat as they always do at the deadline.

Joel Farabee is having a good season after having ADR surgery. He wanted out of Philadelphia last season. There were rumors he didn't like playing for Torts. Farabee takes some dumb penalties and Torts is ready to lose his mind. Torts shakes his head and bites his lip. Is Farabee available? $5M cap hit. Signed for 4 more seasons.

Why not? The Bruins and Avs are apparently interested in Wennberg. Both teams don't have second round picks this year. The Rangers do.
Sounds like you'd be negotiating against yourself at that point then. Robertson and 3rd is better then anything those two teams can offer at thus point.

Boston and Colorado's 3rds are 2025, so it's not like they can offer a current year third round pick.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Bruins and Avs don’t have any 2nds left over the next few yrs so a Rangers 2 Seals the deal unless they have better prospects to offer Seattle

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Brooks seems okay with spending a 2nd + for Wennberg who has 9 goals and 25 points in 60 games to assume a 3rd line role but seems to think a 1st for Vatrano who has 29 goals and 48 points in 61 games might be a bit much for a top 6 role. I find the logic here a little odd.

This is the time of year when Brooks needs to put out stories speculating this, that and the next thing and where most fans want to see trades of some sort or the other. But if we're going to make deals they should make sense.

And of course Rempe and Edstrom are the most likely to come out of the lineup if the Rangers bring a forward or two in.

Reactions: bernmeister

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
As I said before he got moved we should have gotten Monohan. Ofcourse there was talk of Gorton not wanting to deal with us but my guess is he'd be interested in guys he drafted over guys he didnt know as well, i just didn't buy it. Monohan was the best center of this deadline and a guy who could go to wing as well.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Anyone have a scouting report on wennberg

Former 1st rounder so he has talent but more of a two way play making C.

Ideally he stabilizes a 3rd line and the Pk bumping others like Goodrow down

It’s not like I’m thrilled but I don’t see better options on the rental market

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad