Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathb4disco

Oct 19, 2010
Duluth GA
If Chytil comes back, the Rangers need to tell him he's being moved to the wing permanently and then go find another good young center. They can't depend on Chytil's health, and center is too critical of a position to keep getting caught with their pants down because he can't catch a break with avoiding injury.

I'd buy Zegras to play center whether Chytil is back or not.
Agree, but at what price? He's going to cost a bunch but to grab a C that is that talented.... especially with Zib not playing to his potential.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Wennberg was good in columbus, young but noticeable, but hasn't found that form again. He was there when Panarin was, maybe we're able to put him on the panarin line and fix our lines back to where they were before Chytil went down. I'm not saying anything negative about Trochek, i think he's been great, but if Wennberg can fit on that line and Trochek can get between Cuylle and Kakko we are cooking with fire again. Our biggest issue is that we only have one line to worry about. Get the 3rd cooking, add a winger for the Zib line and it looks better.

Reactions: egelband

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
Wennberg was good in columbus, young but noticeable, but hasn't found that form again. He was there when Panarin was, maybe we're able to put him on the panarin line and fix our lines back to where they were before Chytil went down. I'm not saying anything negative about Trochek, i think he's been great, but if Wennberg can fit on that line and Trochek can get between Cuylle and Kakko we are cooking with fire again.
splitting up panarin/tro/laf is a terrible idea.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
alright I think im finally out on Kakko - I dont think he figures it out here. He’s a headcase. Send him to a small market.
The kid threw a sweet reverse hit last night, and I’m like, ok, he’s into this one.

Then nothing for the rest of the game except for missing the net in a glorious opportunity to tie it late.

I was so wrong about Laf that I’m afraid to have an opinion here. Other than why not put that line with Cuylle back together?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The same people who dont want to trade a 2nd for Wennberg are the ones who will be crying about how much Laviolette plays Goodrow and Brodzisnki.

The team desperately needs another top 6 player. Kakko isnt it. If they bring in Wennberg and another top 6 player it gives Laviolette the flexibility to separate Mika and Kreider. I feel like the hesitancy has been due to the fact that if they give Mika new wingers, Kreider is forced to play with Goodrow/Brodzinski, because taking Trocheck off his line is robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Panarin-Trocheck-Laf
Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-(Top 6 RW)

Im not line numbering but thats a solid top 9 with plenty of depth with Goodrow, Vesey, Rempe, Edstrom, Jonny B able to make solid 4th line in some form.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
splitting up panarin/tro/laf is a terrible idea.
It is if Wennberg doesn't fit there, if he fits its a great idea. Imo its easier to get offense from Trochek on line 3 than Wennberg and the Panarin line can still function well with Laf and Panarin running the line. People forget that it was basically our 3rd line of Laf, Chytil and Kakko that propelled us to the ecf's. Our best hockey this year was with Trochek on our "3rd" line behind Chytil. Having that 3rd line capable of putting up points is massive.

Last edited:
Reactions: CLW

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The kid threw a sweet reverse hit last night, and I’m like, ok, he’s into this one.

Then nothing for the rest of the game except for missing the net in a glorious opportunity to tie it late.

I was so wrong about Laf that I’m afraid to have an opinion here. Other than why not put that line with Cuylle back together?

Kakko is less noticeable in games than Cuylle, Edstrom and Rempe. Othmann had 5 shots on goal in his NHL debut. Kakko does nothing. We have nothing but young wingers and Kakko's value will only go down from here on if this is the player he is (looking likely). Trade him this week for a top 6 upgrade and call up an energetic young guy in Berard who Im assuming can at least be Motte with a little more offense.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Kakko is less noticeable in games than Cuylle, Edstrom and Rempe. Othmann had 5 shots on goal in his NHL debut. Kakko does nothing. We have nothing but young wingers and Kakko's value will only go down from here on if this is the player he is (looking likely). Trade him this week for a top 6 upgrade and call up an energetic young guy in Berard who Im assuming can at least be Motte with a little more offense.
Cuylle outside of the goal last night has been pretty invisible since Kakko left that line, Brodz has fallen off a cliff too.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Go ahead and name a better option that won’t cost a 2nd

The markets pretty thin. Wennberg is Steady and better than what that currently have
If the price is too high, you don't pay it. If that means you don't upgrade that player, then you don't upgrade that player. The benefit has to be worth the cost, or why do it?
As I said before he got moved we should have gotten Monohan. Ofcourse there was talk of Gorton not wanting to deal with us but my guess is he'd be interested in guys he drafted over guys he didnt know as well, i just didn't buy it. Monohan was the best center of this deadline and a guy who could go to wing as well.
Did you want to pay a 1st round pick for Monahan? I certainly didn't.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So the rumors per Brooks are:

Wennberg for a 2nd and mid prospect

And Verbeek wants a 1st for Vatrano which Drury is balking at.

In case anyone missed them.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
We focus so much on our bottom 6 but Bread, CK, Zib, and Vince are all in their 30's. We really need top 6 players very soon. Laf is our only top 6 player not in his 30s. Please do not reply Kakko or Vesey. Neither of them have shown they are legit top 6 players at this time.

Reactions: McRanger92

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
I want to see Drury make another run at Tuch before Friday. We have the assets to get him. Buffalo is such a sad franchise they probably couldn’t trade him if they wanted to because of the optics. Kakko, Lindgren++? I’d do it. We need a straight line top 6 guy.
I think it would take a hell of a lot more - especially since Buffalo ownership has some misconceived idea that NYR is a rival.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Both of those are high

2nd+ is a little high but maybe Drury thinks he can recoup a 2nd for Jones. A team like Arizona maybe? They have 10(!) 2nds over the next 3 years including 2 of ours lol

We focus so much on our bottom 6 but Bread, CK, Zib, and Vince are all in their 30's. We really need top 6 players very soon. Laf is our only top 6 player not in his 30s. Please do not reply Kakko or Vesey. Neither of them have shown they are legit top 6 players at this time.

Drury has to be in on Buchnevich and Guenztel. I like that he asked about Tuch. Maye there's another guy out there we havent thought of. But for all the hand wringing on Mika & Kreider, they've been playing with 3rd & 4th liners for 3 seasons. Time to turn some assets into a difference maker.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
2nd+ is a little high but maybe Drury thinks he can recoup a 2nd for Jones. A team like Arizona maybe? They have 10(!) 2nds over the next 3 years including 2 of ours lol

Drury has to be in on Buchnevich and Guenztel. I like that he asked about Tuch. Maye there's another guy out there we havent thought of. But for all the hand wringing on Mika & Kreider, they've been playing with 3rd & 4th liners for 3 seasons. Time to turn some assets into a difference maker.
I have to think this season is a turning point for our over 30 guys. Bread and Vince have played their hearts out. CK is having one of his more productive seasons but he and Zibs take nights off. We don't have many assets to move but if we don't find top 6 players soon our window may close. This teams youth and farm is not as good as we hoped.

Reactions: McRanger92

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm of the belief that Robertson + mid-round pick is about as far as I'd take it for Wennberg.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Can someone give me a reason why the Rangers shouldn't trade Kakko and a 1st for Jake Guenztel? Legitimate 1st line talent and multi-Cup winning playoff performer. No one can deal the assets we can.

And honestly, they should extend him if they acquire him. He is in the same age range as the rest of our core, and the Cap is going up. It's not going to preclude us from signing Igor, Laf and K'Andre.

Someone convince me its the wrong move.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
Can someone give me a reason why the Rangers shouldn't trade Kakko and a 1st for Jake Guenztel? Legitimate 1st line talent and multi-Cup winning playoff performer. No one can deal the assets we can.

And honestly, they should extend him if they acquire him. He is in the same age range as the rest of our core, and the Cap is going up. It's not going to preclude us from signing Igor, Laf and K'Andre.

Guentzel will be 30yrs old when the season starts next year....

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

He’s a pure rental. Yuck.
Pittsburgh will bend us over and the above probably isn’t enough.
He’s a 6M cap hit so that’s your deadline move + a league minimum contract maybe.
Kakko is too young to give up on, cost controlled, and an effective player.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I would def trade Kakko and 1st for Tuch, since he's younger and has an edge, something lacking in our top 6, besides his contract being great for at least this yr and the next 2.

Reactions: bbny

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

We won't be able to afford him at all. He will get 7-8M from someone.

Reactions: bernmeister and tlk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad