Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I think people are unfamiliar with most 3C’s in the NHL. Wennberg has his flaws but he fits the need. Good skater, good defensively, good transporter of the puck, good at retrieving pucks. If he scored more consistently he’s a top-6 center who costs $5m+. As he is, he’s likely $3.5m which is a fit for what the team needs for the next 3-4 years
He’s unspectacular 3C for playoff contender. He’s not an advantage (like Chytil would’ve been IMO) but he’s not a detriment either.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think we need to mentally reframe kreider-zib-x from the 1st line where they're comically lacking impact wise to a matchup line where they win 60-40 at even strength.

What are good two-way players who are excellent on special teams worth? About what they make, honestly.

In a weird way the Rangers have your classic 1st and 3rd lines in them and Panarin/Tro/Laf and a lot of flexibility to make the 2nd group anything they want. Right now its another 3rd-type line but they can change that going forward. It's interesting.
Yep. That’s why I call the Kreider-Zibanejad line the World’s Best Third Line.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
it would be so stupid to trade kakko for veleno.

kakko has the ability to make passes around the net that almost no one else on the team has. i believe he's capable of playing a beautiful flowing effective form of grindy forecheck possession hockey.

however the grindy type players on NYR do not have the skill or iq to make themselves available naturally so Kakko's process slows down, he has to hold it and wait.

I see a player who desperately wants to play with more anticipation in the O zone, more flow. it can look dawdly when possession is lost without a shot but it can be very effective.

His physical flaw is skating but his games flaw is that he doesn't adapt well. He plays his game regardless of situation. I still see a player who could score 75 points in the right situation.
Goodrow. Not Kakko.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Yzermann isn’t going to fire a coach he hand selected from Tampa.
I forgot where I heard about Yzerman looking at Berube. I can remember which podcast it was because they blend into one after discussing the same content. Many teams will be in the Berube market this summer. Ottawa. Dave Poulin played with Berube in Philly. Maybe the Devils. Columbus. Buffalo needs a new coach. Maybe LA.

Reactions: egelband

Black Tank

Dec 12, 2006
a NYer in England
I forgot where I heard about Yzerman looking at Berube. I can remember which podcast it was because they blend into one after discussing the same content. Many teams will be in the Berube market this summer. Ottawa. Dave Poulin played with Berube in Philly. Maybe the Devils. Columbus. Buffalo needs a new coach. Maybe LA.
The devils are the ones who need Berube's tough coaching style where he pushes and makes demands on his players the most. However, I doubt the hugheses allow it - they'll want another push over like ruff.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers need to find a top 6 RW(they need to stop with the revolving door), 3rd line center(if Chytil can't play),4th line center and another D for next season.

The cap increases from $83.5M to $87.675M this summer to $92M in 2025.

$12M in cap space. Subtract Goodrow's $3.6M in a trade probably taking back a cheaper player. Chytil's $4.4375M goes on LTIR. $20M

The Rangers don't have any major contracts this summer.

Lindgren and Kakko are group II with arbitration rights.

Lindgren is 26. He is not 30. 3 or 4 year contract. Preferably 3 years. $4M-$4.5M? It doesn't mean the Rangers can't trade Lindgren during the contract. If Lindgren is signed at a good number and the term is right, he will still have trade value. He is eligible for a restriction clause starting in the 2nd season of the contract. The Rangers gave Skjei a 6 year contract in 2018 and traded him less than two years later for a 1st round pick(Schneider). Carolina made the trade because Skjei had term remaining on his contract. 4 years.

Kakko wants to play more. He wants a bigger role and you can't blame the guy. Hopefully, Kakko continues his strong play and the Rangers win. Kakko increases his trade value. Othmann's $863,333 replaces Kakko.

Schneider is a group II with no arb rights. Drury gave Lindgren a 3 year/$9M second contract. Would Schneider take that? 2 years/$5M.

The summer of 2025 sees Shesterkin, Lafreniere and Miller up for contracts.

$4M bump for Shesterkin. He is better than Sorokin. $8.25M. Bob got $10M in Florida with no state income taxes in 2019. If the Rangers win the Cup this season, add another million. Drury should extend Igor this summer. Why wait?

Lafreniere. $2.325 to what? $8M. $8.5M. Stutzle $$$. $8.35M.

Miller. Under $4M to what? He will receive a decent bump.

The summer of 2025 is when Trouba's $8M is jettisoned out of NY. The Rangers will need that money and the $4M plus cap bump to pay these three players. Trouba's buyout is $4M in 25-26 and $2M in 26-27 assuming the Rangers can't move him. Drury should be able to move the player with a 12 team no trade list and $92M cap.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
He could always perform above and beyond his contract ......

Real leaders don't lead 75 % of the time .
Wtf does this even mean? People sleep 1/3 of their lives so leaders are leading less than 2/3 the time by definition.

Just stop it with all the stupid kreider takes, shit on someone else already. You are making our fandom look like Pejorative Slurs.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl

He has performed above and beyond his contract by any measure.

37 so far
---

125 Goals as wing over the last three seasons. Name anyone making less money scoring more goals over that time frame and then we can back to the contract conversation.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

You don't think averaging better than 40 goals per year at a 6.5 mil cap hit is performing above and beyond his contract?

If that's not enough, him being a primary penalty killer on one of the best PKs in the league adds to his value, as does his leadership on and off the ice.

It seems strange to me that you would call out Kreider when Zib is very clearly the problem on that line. Zib makes 2 mil more per year and is producing less. Zib is at 1.45 points per 60. Wheeler, in his 54 games, was at 1.64 p/60. Kreider is at 1.79 p/60.

For reference, Kreider was at 1.69 last year and 1.78 the year before, so he's right where he is expected to be. Zib, on the other hand, was at 2.19 last year and 2.11 the year before. That is a massive drop off in his 5 on 5 play. His p/60 numbers this year are the second worst of his career.

It seems like you are expecting Kreider to be something he is not and has never been. He's not the guy who should be driving that line.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You don't think averaging better than 40 goals per year at a 6.5 mil cap hit is performing above and beyond his contract?

If that's not enough, him being a primary penalty killer on one of the best PKs in the league adds to his value, as does his leadership on and off the ice.

It seems strange to me that you would call out Kreider when Zib is very clearly the problem on that line. Zib makes 2 mil more per year and is producing less. Zib is at 1.45 points per 60. Wheeler, in his 54 games, was at 1.64 p/60. Kreider is at 1.79 p/60.

For reference, Kreider was at 1.69 last year and 1.78 the year before, so he's right where he is expected to be. Zib, on the other hand, was at 2.19 last year and 2.11 the year before. That is a massive drop off in his 5 on 5 play. His p/60 numbers this year are the second worst of his career.

It seems like you are expecting Kreider to be something he is not and has never been. He's not the guy who should be driving that line.

Yea and what’s the difference leading to those numbers for Zibanejad? Is it the lowest 5v5 shooting percentage and lowest secondary assist rate of his career as a full time player? It is! Surprising. Probably about the most obvious candidate in the entire league next year for a “bounce back” when all the bounce back entails is not running bad in the very variable categories. You can say it’s because hes shooting less this year or taking less high danger shots. Not true. He’s been between 11 and 12 attempts/60 5 of the last 6 years. High danger attempts are basically identical to 18-19 20-21 and 21-22 season. These things just got talked about more this year since the puck isn’t going in.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He has performed above and beyond his contract by any measure.

37 so far
---

125 Goals as wing over the last three seasons. Name anyone making less money scoring more goals over that time frame and then we can back to the contract conversation.
No argument from me on that.....but there is no cut off level either ....imagine what he could do if he got more involved at 5 on 5 which because of his physical attributes would involve very little effort from him

No fan should be happy with 75 % effort at 5 on 5 . Other teams though are smart...they do hardly anything to rile him up out there at 5 on 5 because they figure the lesser of two evils is to let a sleeping giant be . They are tickled pink he does not get overly aggressive in his corner work most times . Many times he takes a shot from far out when a D is closing in on him rather than taking the puck in along the boards into a corner and moving it along with his feet and possibly getting a whistle or making a play . He hardly EVER forces the opposition to take a penalty on him......which is very telling of his play .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
You guys can be happy with a 75 % effort Kreider and his stats....but as a 50 + year Ranger fan I choose not to be when I know he can bring much more . I like to see the effort on the ice and that can be contagious especially around an impressionable bunch of young guys .

Reactions: Go Rangers

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The Rangers need to find a top 6 RW(they need to stop with the revolving door), 3rd line center(if Chytil can't play),4th line center and another D for next season.

The cap increases from $83.5M to $87.675M this summer to $92M in 2025.

$12M in cap space. Subtract Goodrow's $3.6M in a trade probably taking back a cheaper player. Chytil's $4.4375M goes on LTIR. $20M

The Rangers don't have any major contracts this summer.

Lindgren and Kakko are group II with arbitration rights.

Lindgren is 26. He is not 30. 3 or 4 year contract. Preferably 3 years. $4M-$4.5M? It doesn't mean the Rangers can't trade Lindgren during the contract. If Lindgren is signed at a good number and the term is right, he will still have trade value. He is eligible for a restriction clause starting in the 2nd season of the contract. The Rangers gave Skjei a 6 year contract in 2018 and traded him less than two years later for a 1st round pick(Schneider). Carolina made the trade because Skjei had term remaining on his contract. 4 years.

Kakko wants to play more. He wants a bigger role and you can't blame the guy. Hopefully, Kakko continues his strong play and the Rangers win. Kakko increases his trade value. Othmann's $863,333 replaces Kakko.

Schneider is a group II with no arb rights. Drury gave Lindgren a 3 year/$9M second contract. Would Schneider take that? 2 years/$5M.

The summer of 2025 sees Shesterkin, Lafreniere and Miller up for contracts.

$4M bump for Shesterkin. He is better than Sorokin. $8.25M. Bob got $10M in Florida with no state income taxes in 2019. If the Rangers win the Cup this season, add another million. Drury should extend Igor this summer. Why wait?

Lafreniere. $2.325 to what? $8M. $8.5M. Stutzle $$$. $8.35M.

Miller. Under $4M to what? He will receive a decent bump.

The summer of 2025 is when Trouba's $8M is jettisoned out of NY. The Rangers will need that money and the $4M plus cap bump to pay these three players. Trouba's buyout is $4M in 25-26 and $2M in 26-27 assuming the Rangers can't move him. Drury should be able to move the player with a 12 team no trade list and $92M cap.

Panarin s 11.6mil comes off in summer 26, and the cap will hopefully keeps rising, maybe 99mil by then. If we keep populating our bottom six through the draft with ELC’s and reasonable second and third contracts, we should be rolling with an “open window” for quite some time. And be able to sign a couple of big UFAs… I actually hope Pan “forces” us to re sign him, this playoff should show us a LOT.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Free agency should be interesting this summer, lots of players that are a little bit older that probably won't get huge deals. Could line up well for us. Trouba and Lindgren should be on the table to give us some flexibility.

Dallas is an interesting team. They have a ridiculous forward group. Pavelski and Duchene are both UFAs this summer. Harley is an RFA, those are their significant FAs. They have a ton of cap space so they can easily re-sign all of them. I'm curious to see what they do though, go look at their top 9 it's crazy. Every single one of their top 9 forwards are essentially top 6 players. Robertson, Hintz, Pavelski, Duchene, Seguin, Benn, Marchment, Johnston... Stankoven already looks electric. They have 8 forwards with +50 points. Mavrik Bourque is a blue chip, where does he fit? Dellandrea has been the oddman out. Even more ridiculous, you could argue at least 6 of those guys can play the center role as well. Anyway, if I was a betting man I'd bet they only keep one of the UFAs (probably Pavelski) and find more minutes for Stankoven and Bourque. Dallas' kryptonite is their right side on D. They have nothing. Abundance of LHDs. If Drury looks to move Trouba there's an obvious candidate here. Plenty of assets. If they let Duchene or Pavelski walk those are 2 players that would fit here like a glove, whether it be at 3C or RW. More than likely they aren't getting huge money or term.

Domi, Wennberg and Henrique are all cheap candidates that could fit at 3C. Maybe you could throw Roslovic in there.

Tons of cheap options at RW. Duclair, Sprong, Barabanov, Mantha, Roslovic. Guys like DeBrusk and Bertuzzi were a little underwhelming this year, might limit how much they get this summer. I'd group Marchessault and Teräväinen with the last 2 in guys who probably won't get a ton of $ or term but won't really be available to us without a Trouba trade.

Reactions: noncents

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
You guys can be happy with a 75 % effort Kreider and his stats....but as a 50 + year Ranger fan I choose not to be when I know he can bring much more . I like to see the effort on the ice and that can be contagious especially around an impressionable bunch of young guys .
Do you have a machine that measures effort? Let me know what the other players give while you are at it. They guy plays big minutes at ES, PP, PK, and a lot of the problems at ES that his line has are more a product of Zibs play than any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad