Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Zibanejad on PP, last year vs. this year

Goals/60Assists/60IPP (Points/GF)Shots/60Shooting %ixG/60iHDCF/60Rebounds Created/60
2022-234.173.9682.98%20.4420.412.85.212.29
2023-242.53.6451.92%16.1415.492.092.731.59

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zibanejad on PP, last year vs. this year

Goals/60Assists/60IPP (Points/GF)Shots/60Shooting %ixG/60iHDCF/60Rebounds Created/60
2022-234.173.9682.98%20.4420.412.85.212.29
2023-242.53.6451.92%16.1415.492.092.731.59
And if he wasn't doing this and had 90 points while being the same 5v5 player, everyone would ignore it like they always did.

That's why when people talk about waking up Zibanejad I'm like "at 5v5? This is Zibanejad."

Don't get me wrong, if he decides to put up a 90 point pace in the playoffs buoyed by powerplay success, that would be just fine.

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Last year: 20 pp goals and 39 pp points
This year: 11 pp goals and 27 pp points

Zib's PP contribution has always been about his shot. He hasn't been very accurate with his shot this year. If he's not scoring with it, he's not adding anything that someone else couldn't do.
Disagree (to a degree lol). The strength of the PP1 is on the shoulders of Panarin, Fox and Zibanejad moving around / interchanging place and creating lanes for each other. It’s funny that his differences from last season is almost exactly in goals section (with games to go too). This is the discount part I’m referring too - he contributes a lot more than just scoring goals from the left circle.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
really? but he's so fast and good
So is Wennberg.

I find both to be spectacular at nothing and also terrible at nothing.

I also find the whole "is this X on a Cup contender" at every position to be a pointless discussion.

Chicago's entire dynasty happened without a 2C or really a 3C. I mean Jesus Christ, Toews and 4th liners every year. They also had a 1RW who didn't play in two zones; we found that out.

It worked for them because every team is different and every league environment they're playing in is different.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
So is Wennberg.

I find both to be spectacular at nothing and also terrible at nothing.

I also find the whole "is this X on a Cup contender" at every position to be a pointless discussion.

Chicago's entire dynasty happened without a 2C or really a 3C. I mean Jesus Christ, Toews and 4th liners every year. They also had a 1RW who didn't play in two zones; we found that out.

It worked for them because every team is different and every league environment they're playing in is different.
i get what you're saying, but to essentially hand wave away all discussion of potential results isn't as interesting to me.

I think Chytil has certain elements to his game that Wennberg doesn't: a high quality shot and willingness to shoot namely.

They're both effective on board battles but where Chytil is more physically powerful, Wennberg to me makes use of elite defensive stick work a la 93.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Kakko Wennberg pair develop chemistry in the O zone. Kakko definitely caught Wennberg off guard with that net mouth pass last game - i like wennbergs o zone positioning and think he has the IQ to find space: Whether they will consistently create scoring opportunities from possession is going to be key in the postseason.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
To add to that point, Chicago worked because they were like the Golden State Warriors. They were doing the new thing before the league changed.

Offense matters more than defense (sorry, it does) and the Hawks were playing in 2013 like everyone plays now.

Also, Jonathan Toews doesn't get enough credit. The first half of his career is underrated.

The Penguins solidified the revolution with the brilliant concept of "hey instead of having a bunch of grinders because we already have Crosby and Malkin, let's get a bunch more speed and skill because we have Crosby and Malkin."

Back to back Cups later, that franchise probably still didn't win as much as it should have.

You know your speed and skill revolution is strong when it survives the 2019 Blues being horseshit at everything.

That's why I'm not concerned with mimicking. I'd rather innovate something if possible.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
To add to that point, Chicago worked because they were like the Golden State Warriors. They were doing the new thing before the league changed.

Offense matters more than defense (sorry, it does) and the Hawks were playing in 2013 like everyone plays now.

Also, Jonathan Toews doesn't get enough credit. The first half of his career is underrated.

The Penguins solidified the revolution with the brilliant concept of "hey instead of having a bunch of grinders because we already have Crosby and Malkin, let's get a bunch more speed and skill because we have Crosby and Malkin."

Back to back Cups later, that franchise probably still didn't win as much as it should have.

You know your speed and skill revolution is strong when it survives the 2019 Blues being horseshit at everything.

That's why I'm not concerned with mimicking. I'd rather innovate something if possible.
Rangers

Innovate

Pick one

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

well, as rob luker points out, the NYR path to success is indeed a zag from the puck possession zig. Tread water at even strength, win with goaltending and special teams.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
well, as rob luker points out, the NYR path to success is indeed a zag from the puck possession zig. Tread water at even strength, win with goaltending and special teams.
Somebody actually winning the Cup that way would certainly be innovative :laugh:

Not impossible, though.

The 2018 Caps couldn't tie their skates at even strength.

The 2017 Pens were pretty good in the regular season but they got rocked in two of their playoff series. Holtby and Rinne both lifted them up with nuclear meltdowns in goal.

Funny thing about the 2018 Caps is that they were amazing the year before. Probably even better in 2010. The absolute worst contending team they had in Ovechkin's career is the team that won the Cup.

Nothing matters. Just entertain yourself and hope the team gets hot.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We're trying to do a reverse Vegas.

Vegas bucked the trend by successfully ignoring quantity to control quality.

Not too many of the ton of shots they gave up bounced in. Ability? Yes. Luck? Probably also yes.

We're actually not bad at all in shot differential. The shots we give up are disproportionately high-danger rush chances.

If you believe Valiquette, a factor is that we focus on cutting off the royal road so much that we'll just let you skate right to the net if you do it straight.

The other factor is that Trouba tried to hit you and missed about 30 feet back.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
If we could lock up Laffy for 5-6 years at 6ish, that'd be great

Might be a little light on years on money but you’re headed in the right direction.
This is your new Cup Window starting mid-June if that's the case.

Might be reading the tea leaves a little ahead, but I don't see why Art is not still fringe elite-fringe all star level after this contract is up. I also don't see why he would want to go anywhere else and would maybe even take a friendly deal at that point.

I keep saying this, but I have no idea what that dude Lazarus was saying that our Cup window is so direly over after this year. What?

Reactions: McRanger92

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Might be reading the tea leaves a little ahead, but I don't see why Art is not still fringe elite-fringe all star level after this contract is up. I also don't see why he would want to go anywhere else and would maybe even take a friendly deal at that point.

I keep saying this, but I have no idea what that dude Lazarus was saying that our Cup window is so direly over after this year. What?
The Shesty contract is gonna be the stumbling block.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Way off base IMO but you’re entitled to an opinion. Just like your preference of facing TBL in the first round over whoever’s the turtle race winner.
Yeah, good luck with the turtle that has three top 50 players of all-time.

So f***ing weird to be afraid of Tampa and not bat an eye at Pittsburgh.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Lafreniere is three years away from UFA but custom with top players is to extend them with one year to run. Lafreniere has earned a long and lucrative extension. It won’t get any cheaper if he has another excellent year.

Igor is a little different. He would be one year away from UFA. Again, the custom is get him signed or trade him. Unless he shits the bed in the playoffs, he won’t be traded. The Rangers don’t have a replacement anywhere in sight.

The Cup window will stay wide open as long as Fox, Igor, Miller, Schneider and some of the veteran forwards are around. The forward group will evolve while the back end is set up for years to come.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, good luck with the turtle that has three top 50 players of all-time.

So f***ing weird to be afraid of Tampa and not bat an eye at Pittsburgh.
Everyone is afraid because everyone senses a first round KO

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
3rd line playing heavy possession and 4th line creating havoc and turning pucks over is what cup teams bottom 6ers do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad