Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
You guys can be happy with a 75 % effort Kreider and his stats....but as a 50 + year Ranger fan I choose not to be when I know he can bring much more . I like to see the effort on the ice and that can be contagious especially around an impressionable bunch of young guys .
You'd rather a plug who scrapes like he's fighting for a roster spot, puts up 10-15 goals (because he is fighting for a roster spot) than a guy who's clearly saving himself for the playoffs at this point but is close to 40 goals, and is one of the best net front guys in the league (which is insanely punishing).
You must love goodrow, he never takes a shift off, he blocks shots like each one is a bonus check.

• Haha
Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yea and what’s the difference leading to those numbers for Zibanejad? Is it the lowest 5v5 shooting percentage and lowest secondary assist rate of his career as a full time player? It is! Surprising. Probably about the most obvious candidate in the entire league next year for a “bounce back” when all the bounce back entails is not running bad in the very variable categories. You can say it’s because hes shooting less this year or taking less high danger shots. Not true. He’s been between 11 and 12 attempts/60 5 of the last 6 years. High danger attempts are basically identical to 18-19 20-21 and 21-22 season. These things just got talked about more this year since the puck isn’t going in.
This. Undoubtedly Zibanejad is having a down year especially in contrast to both Panarin and Trocheck having career years. However I just don’t see a HUGE drop off in his play other than ES stats. His contributions on special teams where the Rangers are top-5 on both sides is being discounted for no good reason other than driving an negative agenda. To your “bounce back” point - he’d be a good not only for next season, but hopefully even sooner for the playoff run, god willing.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Free agency should be interesting this summer, lots of players that are a little bit older that probably won't get huge deals. Could line up well for us. Trouba and Lindgren should be on the table to give us some flexibility.

Dallas is an interesting team. They have a ridiculous forward group. Pavelski and Duchene are both UFAs this summer. Harley is an RFA, those are their significant FAs. They have a ton of cap space so they can easily re-sign all of them. I'm curious to see what they do though, go look at their top 9 it's crazy. Every single one of their top 9 forwards are essentially top 6 players. Robertson, Hintz, Pavelski, Duchene, Seguin, Benn, Marchment, Johnston... Stankoven already looks electric. They have 8 forwards with +50 points. Mavrik Bourque is a blue chip, where does he fit? Dellandrea has been the oddman out. Even more ridiculous, you could argue at least 6 of those guys can play the center role as well. Anyway, if I was a betting man I'd bet they only keep one of the UFAs (probably Pavelski) and find more minutes for Stankoven and Bourque. Dallas' kryptonite is their right side on D. They have nothing. Abundance of LHDs. If Drury looks to move Trouba there's an obvious candidate here. Plenty of assets. If they let Duchene or Pavelski walk those are 2 players that would fit here like a glove, whether it be at 3C or RW. More than likely they aren't getting huge money or term.

Domi, Wennberg and Henrique are all cheap candidates that could fit at 3C. Maybe you could throw Roslovic in there.

Tons of cheap options at RW. Duclair, Sprong, Barabanov, Mantha, Roslovic. Guys like DeBrusk and Bertuzzi were a little underwhelming this year, might limit how much they get this summer. I'd group Marchessault and Teräväinen with the last 2 in guys who probably won't get a ton of $ or term but won't really be available to us without a Trouba trade.
Drury CAN’T assume that Chytil will be on LTIR the whole 24-25 season when building the roster this offseason under the cap. But he needs to prepare for this eventuality. I really like what Wennberg has brought to this team. I still understand the reason and value for why Goodrow was signed to that contract but I’d try to replace Goodrow’s contract with Wennberg who’s much better fit to be 3C and the Rangers now have it from other internal sources intangible qualities that Goodrow bring.

Resign Kakko to slightly under the same contract Chytil got if they can - that would be more than he “deserve” but it potentially can bring a lot of value and if not - should be pretty moveable for a former 2OA.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
No argument from me on that.....but there is no cut off level either ....imagine what he could do if he got more involved at 5 on 5 which because of his physical attributes would involve very little effort from him

No fan should be happy with 75 % effort at 5 on 5 . Other teams though are smart...they do hardly anything to rile him up out there at 5 on 5 because they figure the lesser of two evils is to let a sleeping giant be . They are tickled pink he does not get overly aggressive in his corner work most times . Many times he takes a shot from far out when a D is closing in on him rather than taking the puck in along the boards into a corner and moving it along with his feet and possibly getting a whistle or making a play . He hardly EVER forces the opposition to take a penalty on him......which is very telling of his play .
Categorically and disqualifyingly false. Gtfo with that nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: leetch99

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Anyone remember Pete Sampras? In the tennis era before the Big 3 on the men’s side, he was kind of a big deal. Won the most wimbledons and most majors of all time when he was done.

During his era, people constantly claimed he didn’t try hard enough, the game was so easy for him if he just tried as hard as say, mcenroe he would be the GOAT!

The most grand slam titles of all time, and the guy “didnt try hard enough,” as if he didn’t get to where he is due to a relentless work ethic, insane hours of devotion. As if the game at times looking easy to him wasn’t a result of countless hours of preparation, to be able to be in the right place, ready to hit the right shot.

When he retired, he probably was (briefly, before Fed’s ascendance) the GOAT.

People claiming Kreider doesn’t try sound exactly as stupid as the Sampras critics in the ‘90s. There is nobody who follows a career path like Kreider without “trying” every single day harder than 99% of the population ever tries at anything, ever.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
This. Undoubtedly Zibanejad is having a down year especially in contrast to both Panarin and Trocheck having career years. However I just don’t see a HUGE drop off in his play other than ES stats. His contributions on special teams where the Rangers are top-5 on both sides is being discounted for no good reason other than driving a negative agenda. To your “bounce back” point - he’d be a good not only for next season, but hopefully even sooner for the playoff run, god willing.
Except when you play 75% of your ice time at even strength, having that be where you see a lack of production is very very noticeable.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Except when you play 75% of your ice time at even strength, having that be where you see a lack of production is very very noticeable.

His lack of production is bad luck. Unless you think his true skill level is 2 secondary assists per season? And that suddenly his shot is so bad that he is suddenly half as likely to score on any given shot as he was last year and less likely than Barclay Goodrow has throughout his career?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
With a one year, if he has a big year, him and Laff get the same deal. If he wants to take less than our offer to keep it to one year, so be it. We accept it and trade him at the deadline. He doesn't hold the cards.
Kakko has done nothing to warrant the same deal as Laf will get.

His lack of production is bad luck. Unless you think his true skill level is 2 secondary assists per season? And that suddenly his shot is so bad that he is suddenly half as likely to score on any given shot as he was last year and less likely than Barclay Goodrow has throughout his career?
Yeah people need to calm down a bit about Mika.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
there’s a couple things I’ve noticed in his play in general.
He’s bumped off the puck far easier than in previous years.
He’s struggling to stick handle at speed, and also catch passes cleanly in motion.

Both of those things translate to struggles at 5v5. Do I think he’s had some bad luck? Absolutely. Do I think some good luck will fix those issues? Not.A.Chance.In.Hell.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He’s struggling to stick handle at speed, and also catch passes cleanly in motion.

Both of those things translate to struggles at 5v5. Do I think he’s had some bad luck? Absolutely. Do I think some good luck will fix those issues? Not.A.Chance.In.Hell.

All of that may be true but the point stands than with normal shooting luck and such you're still looking at a guy who is around 2 pts/60. The fact that he is at 1.45 is largely due to bad fortune and also somewhat due to factors you mentioned. It by no means is predicative of what should be expected going forward.

Reactions: egelband

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Rangers need to find a top 6 RW(they need to stop with the revolving door), 3rd line center(if Chytil can't play),4th line center and another D for next season.

The cap increases from $83.5M to $87.675M this summer to $92M in 2025.

$12M in cap space. Subtract Goodrow's $3.6M in a trade probably taking back a cheaper player. Chytil's $4.4375M goes on LTIR. $20M

The Rangers don't have any major contracts this summer.

Lindgren and Kakko are group II with arbitration rights.

Lindgren is 26. He is not 30. 3 or 4 year contract. Preferably 3 years. $4M-$4.5M? It doesn't mean the Rangers can't trade Lindgren during the contract. If Lindgren is signed at a good number and the term is right, he will still have trade value. He is eligible for a restriction clause starting in the 2nd season of the contract. The Rangers gave Skjei a 6 year contract in 2018 and traded him less than two years later for a 1st round pick(Schneider). Carolina made the trade because Skjei had term remaining on his contract. 4 years.

Kakko wants to play more. He wants a bigger role and you can't blame the guy. Hopefully, Kakko continues his strong play and the Rangers win. Kakko increases his trade value. Othmann's $863,333 replaces Kakko.

Schneider is a group II with no arb rights. Drury gave Lindgren a 3 year/$9M second contract. Would Schneider take that? 2 years/$5M.

The summer of 2025 sees Shesterkin, Lafreniere and Miller up for contracts.

$4M bump for Shesterkin. He is better than Sorokin. $8.25M. Bob got $10M in Florida with no state income taxes in 2019. If the Rangers win the Cup this season, add another million. Drury should extend Igor this summer. Why wait?

Lafreniere. $2.325 to what? $8M. $8.5M. Stutzle $$$. $8.35M.

Miller. Under $4M to what? He will receive a decent bump.

The summer of 2025 is when Trouba's $8M is jettisoned out of NY. The Rangers will need that money and the $4M plus cap bump to pay these three players. Trouba's buyout is $4M in 25-26 and $2M in 26-27 assuming the Rangers can't move him. Drury should be able to move the player with a 12 team no trade list and $92M cap.

The summer of 2025 will be the challenge. It may temper some of what Drury does this summer.

I expect Lafreniere and Sherstykin will both sign extensions this summer.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
No argument from me on that.....but there is no cut off level either ....imagine what he could do if he got more involved at 5 on 5 which because of his physical attributes would involve very little effort from him

No fan should be happy with 75 % effort at 5 on 5 . Other teams though are smart...they do hardly anything to rile him up out there at 5 on 5 because they figure the lesser of two evils is to let a sleeping giant be . They are tickled pink he does not get overly aggressive in his corner work most times . Many times he takes a shot from far out when a D is closing in on him rather than taking the puck in along the boards into a corner and moving it along with his feet and possibly getting a whistle or making a play . He hardly EVER forces the opposition to take a penalty on him......which is very telling of his play .

I guess my Effort Meter 2000® needs to be recalibrated.

I mean, you have to realize that players play to their strengths and Kreider's IS NOT board battles or puck possession. Trying to jam a circle into a square is more indicative of the player you want him to be and not the reality of what he is.

Federer looked effortless on a tennis court. That doesn't mean there was no effort.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

If what you noticed were an issue - you’d see a change in high-danger chances generation, no?

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Kakko has done nothing to warrant the same deal as Laf will get.
I literally typed "if he has a big season." If he signs a1-yr deal at a small raise, then what he does next season sets the course for his career.

Last off-season, people were saying Laf was more expendable because his D wasn't as solid as KK's, and Kaapo's offensive production was a hair ahead. It's not impossible that they have very similar seasons next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This. Undoubtedly Zibanejad is having a down year especially in contrast to both Panarin and Trocheck having career years. However I just don’t see a HUGE drop off in his play other than ES stats. His contributions on special teams where the Rangers are top-5 on both sides is being discounted for no good reason other than driving an negative agenda. To your “bounce back” point - he’d be a good not only for next season, but hopefully even sooner for the playoff run, god willing.
Last year: 20 pp goals and 39 pp points
This year: 11 pp goals and 27 pp points

Zib's PP contribution has always been about his shot. He hasn't been very accurate with his shot this year. If he's not scoring with it, he's not adding anything that someone else couldn't do.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
Last year: 20 pp goals and 39 pp points
This year: 11 pp goals and 27 pp points

Zib's PP contribution has always been about his shot. He hasn't been very accurate with his shot this year. If he's not scoring with it, he's not adding anything that someone else couldn't do.
when it comes to PP time and space, the threat of the shot is itself hugely important.

If we could lock up Laffy for 5-6 years at 6ish, that'd be great
6x6 would be absolutely primo.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would also say that the league is defending his shot better.

Earlier in the year, and last year, people got mad that the PP just tried to force the Zibanejad one timers. Now that they try multiple plays people get mad that Zibanejad's PP stats aren't as good as in past years. You can't win. Meanwhile, this year the team has its best PP% in at least the last 5 years and certainly much longer.

That being said, it was never true that they just tried to force feed one timers to him anymore than other PP with similar structure. I've posted those stats several times. Just a random false complaint.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad