Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Or conversely, and far more likely, we vastly overestimate the competence and intelligence of the average message boarder relative to these coaches.

Coaches have their reasons, whether you understand or agree with them. That doesn't make them right, but it helps to try to put yourself in their shoes once in a while and understand that you might not have all the information.

Sometimes the reasons don't correlate with winning. It's some nonsense like "you'll lose your lockerroom". Also coaches come from a time period when big meant good, particularly a coach like Lavi. Are you telling me they don't have biases?

Reactions: mas0764

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Sometimes the reasons don't correlate with winning. It's some nonsense like "you'll lose your lockerroom". Also coaches come from a time period when big meant good, particularly a coach like Lavi. Are you telling me they don't have biases?
I don't think there's a coach on the planet who doesn't have a guy on the bench that he looks to as a security blanket. But that doesn't mean they don't know a shit ton more than even the most avid fan. If for no other reason than they have intel that we don't have.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I dont think taking the locker room into account is nonsense at all. Especially not when you're the GM or coach.

Reactions: TominNC

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Trouba isnt getting benched. Sorry to break this news to everyone but we should be hoping he plays better rather than wanting to change reality. He is going to get some rope to finish the season. The better complaint is why is he playing with Miller? Both guys have been butter soft all year outside of a few moments that have been few and far between. Miller has looked better without Trouba because Fox and Schneider are better than Trouba. Miller is the same player regardless of the pair he's on.
Idk, I find the discussion way more enjoyable to just reiterate the actual problems even if the team is unlikely to address them rather than just ignore them and invent shit to mald about like how Brodzinski is hockey satan.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This is why I hate coaches like Snowblind hates goalies.

ChatGPT would do a better job.
Lav deserves appropriate credit only, no mo no less.
What we have seen is what we are getting.
It can't be said definitively, but I wanted us to promote Knob
mindful of how far he has pulled Oil back from the brink, and also how well he did yr or 2 prior in short stint, that is worthy basis for a discussion

im ok with giving Cuylle a rest, he's a rookie that has never played this deep into an NHL season and there's hopefully still another 2 and a half months left.
A rest is not a prob and agree a good idea.
A sit down otherwise is likely not

Jesus, get Brodz off the team, he's so f***ing bad and I don't understand how he is playing on the 3rd line.
excessive and therefore erroneous

Revisionist history. People claimed he was a top pair Dman. False. Had no offensive game whatsoever. If his last name was Rogers, he's just another guy.
excessive and therefore erroneous x2

Pre injury, Staal was the best shutdown D in the league
Not the best skater, but good. Not the best this or that, but good. Again, only to def not off.
I remember him doing a Jan Erixon from the backline and negating Crosby, etc

To intentionally forget there was true basis of that on eye test, that is revis. history

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Idk, I find the discussion way more enjoyable to just reiterate the actual problems even if the team is unlikely to address them rather than just ignore them and invent shit to mald about like how Brodzinski is hockey satan.

I thought Trouba was Hockey Satan?

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
67A63211-52F7-42D6-AA09-43233B04FB42.jpeg

tuning into HFBoards for the daily installment of a person trying to normalize Jacob trouba being on my tv screen

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Most of these guys have devoted their entire lives to the sport. Live, breath, eat, sleep it. How can you possibly think you know more about the game or how it's played than they do? Jeremy Roenick might be clinically Pejorative Slured and I'd still trust his hockey knowledge over yours, or anyone's here, any day of the week.

It's a game, not rocket science.

And what I said is, the difference between us and them is a rolodex. Yes, their experience and connections give them an edge.

Throw you into the ring and give you a couple years working with a team and you'd be just as qualified as most of them if not moreso.

FWIW I’m not saying you can teach a player to skate. But roster management decisions? You can do that for sure.

Last edited:

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the records will show I have been right about every coach so far.

I faced harsh pushback each time early on, but as time went on everyone came around to my view.

Nowadays how many people think Quinn or Gallant were good coaches for this team or that it was a mistake to fire them? Zero.

I'm not ready to put Laviolette in that category (yet), but he worries me a lot with his refusal to ackowledge glaring issues that have been apparent since game 1 of the season. And i'm worried it will sink us in the playoffs.

effen

Feb 3, 2018

And what I said is, the difference between us and them is a rolodex. Yes, their experience and connections give them an edge.

Throw you into the ring and give you a couple years working with a team and you'd be just as qualified as most of them if not moreso.

FWIW I’m not saying you can teach a player to skate. But roster management decisions? You can do that for sure.
This is really reductive. You could teach someone functional rocket science if you had a couple years to do it, too.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Trouba isnt getting benched. Sorry to break this news to everyone but we should be hoping he plays better rather than wanting to change reality. He is going to get some rope to finish the season. The better complaint is why is he playing with Miller? Both guys have been butter soft all year outside of a few moments that have been few and far between. Miller has looked better without Trouba because Fox and Schneider are better than Trouba. Miller is the same player regardless of the pair he's on.

As for Cuylle/Brodz/Rempe, nothing moves me less than which one of those guys is in the lineup on a given day, with 7 games to go in the season. Cuylle has hit a wall, Rempe is raw as anything and Brodz is at least a good version of McKegg or Rooney. They'll all play at some point in the playoffs. Im happy to see Rempe getting back in because the Rangers were stale as week old bread yesterday.

I completely agree with the first part. Lavy doesn’t have the balls and has a hard on for Trouba it won’t happen. You can hope in one hand and shit in the other and see what happens first? Trouba has been dog shit for over a season now. But this is a next year problem and thankfully he has 7 games to figure it out. It’s to bad lavy doesn’t see that Trouba should be on the 3rd pair.

As for this part, I disagree. Cuylle hit a wall when he was placed on th 4th line. Rempe should be getting this game time so that he can play solid minutes in the playoffs. His physicality will be needed and he allows his teammates to stand taller. This is the perfect 7 game stretch to get him more minutes and trust in the coaches

Reactions: egelband

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I faced harsh pushback each time early on, but as time went on everyone came around to my view.

Nowadays how many people think Quinn or Gallant were good coaches for this team or that it was a mistake to fire them? Zero.

I'm not ready to put Laviolette in that category (yet), but he worries me a lot with his refusal to ackowledge glaring issues that have been apparent since game 1 of the season. And i'm worried it will sink us in the playoffs.
Not saying you're necessarily wrong, but I feel like you don't/wouldn't like any coach then lol. Every coach is gonna have stuff that annoys us as fans.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
One popular opinion. One unpopular opinion.

Trouba is legit bad. I know it won't happen, but I think we could compete for the cup without him in the lineup (or playing very sheltered 3rd pair minutes).

Rempe is the most overrated player on earth and makes little to no difference in most games. Is he exciting yes. Is he also largely irrelevant. Yes.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
This is really reductive. You could teach someone functional rocket science if you had a couple years to do it, too.

And hockey is even easier. Why would I believe, then, that Peter Laviollette has some ingrained ability over all of us?

He does something in which MOST of the decision making could be mastered in a few years of experience. He's not necessarily smarter either.

The "he's the coach," line of reasoning is just a cop-out from debating the merits.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019

I think there's a lot more that goes into than you think.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
And hockey is even easier. Why would I believe, then, that Peter Laviollette has some ingrained ability over all of us?

He does something in which MOST of the decision making could be mastered in a few years of experience. He's not necessarily smarter either.

The "he's the coach," line of reasoning is just a cop-out from debating the merits.
I'm surprised you don't do your own cavity fillings and colonoscopies.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

This trend happens with every single coach. Not really sure what you're trying to get at.

Reactions: TominNC

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
How about NOT PULLING YOUR GOALIE... after watching your team show zero engagement in the offensive zone all night long?! Their top guys lost the puck right off the face off.... puck in the empty net.

how many times must this happen?

BTW, this is the same cast of characters getting another chance by Drury... if they can't deliver... i'm hoping for some off season moves of some of the repeat offenders here...

effen

Feb 3, 2018

This is every manager ever. But they still exist, a good one is great, and a bad one is an apocolypse.

Making lineups is like 1% of the job.

How about NOT PULLING YOUR GOALIE... after watching your team show zero engagement in the offensive zone all night long?! Their top guys lost the puck right off the face off.... puck in the empty net.

how many times must this happen?

BTW, this is the same cast of characters getting another chance by Drury... if they can't deliver... i'm hoping for some off season moves of some of the repeat offenders here...
I love it from a leadership POV. A loss is a loss is a loss.. it shows that HE doesn't give up on THEM because those 5-2 losses look worse for him than for his guys.

The general idea is good even if the timing could use work sometimes.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
One thing I would do as coach (and I'm a moron so this would probably not work) but instead of pulling the goalie, if we're losing with like 8 minutes left, I would load the ice with all forwards (maybe fox in our case because he's basically better at offense than anyone).

But something like

Panarin-Vinny-Laf

Zib-Fox

And just tell guys to f*** it and go HAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad