Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
The people advocating for Miller-Fox aren't advocating for Miller-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba long-term.

They're advocating for Miller-Fox, getting a better LHD to play in top 4, and putting Trouba in a box and mailing the box to Zimbabwe.
that sounds great and I’d sign up for that, if someone can show me easily acquired top 4 defenseman who won’t strip us of depth elsewhere and aren’t gonna wreck the cap.
Ufa defenseman aren’t great choices because we’re paying full value on contracts when we need cheap + good.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
that sounds great and I’d sign up for that, if someone can show me easily acquired top 4 defenseman who won’t strip us of depth elsewhere and aren’t gonna wreck the cap.
Ufa defenseman aren’t great choices because we’re paying full value on contracts when we need cheap + good.

There are options out there. Something that's lost too is that if they improve the 3rd pairing and depth, they could very easily roll with a 1st pairing and a 2a and 2b. Schneider, Jones, Gustafsson, _______(Demelo, Schultz, Dillon, Roy, Walker likely). Hanifiin and Pesce haven't signed yet, so there are options there.

I'd take a MIller-Fox pairing followed by (4) good defenders who can move the puck. I'm less concerned with finding a 'top-4' guy although, of course if Hanifin could be had, he's ideal but someone like Roy or Demelo would be good fits too. Re-sign Ruwehdl as well.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
There are options out there. Something that's lost too is that if they improve the 3rd pairing and depth, they could very easily roll with a 1st pairing and a 2a and 2b. Schneider, Jones, Gustafsson, _______(Demelo, Schultz, Dillon, Roy, Walker likely). Hanifiin and Pesce haven't signed yet, so there are options there.

I'd take a MIller-Fox pairing followed by (4) good defenders who can move the puck. I'm less concerned with finding a 'top-4' guy although, of course if Hanifin could be had, he's ideal but someone like Roy or Demelo would be good fits too. Re-sign Ruwehdl as well.
Hanafin to me is the opposite of ideal. He’s gonna get 7x7.

They could play miller-fox for half the game and it would undoubtedly improve the overall numbers.
Yes because it’s always good long term to play a player for 30 minutes per game.

Reactions: kovazub94

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
...The metrics aren't why Lindgren remains attached to him. Thats a Lavi thing. Lavi does alot of stupid things.
Or maybe you're just not privy to thought process of (or private data available to) the winningest American & SC winning coach who led three different teams to SCF?

• Love
Reactions: egelband

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Absolutely zero idea how Brodzinski is so untouchable.

The d is frustrating but at least I understand.

NYR are not going to ice their best roster in the POs due to reputation. Something every NHL head coach will do. But so frustrating.
It makes no sense.

Recent playoffs show big strong forwards being hard to contain on the forecheck wins.

We have two, Cuylle and Rempe. Kakko too.

So leading into the playoffs our coach demotes one to the 4th line after being on the 3rd line all season, then scratches him. Our other big forward who was emerging as one of the not-to-F-with-me forwards in the league gets scratched because he was too tough... and the coach throws our AAAA near 30 small forward onto the 3rd line and our play has dipped to concerning levels.

Now that's not the only reason, but it's a big part when the depth is messed with and then the team gets caved in by opposing forecheck.

Rangers had a good thing going with Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko, and Rempe-Goodrow-Vesey

Brodzinski, no offense to him, doesn't do anything better than any of those other players.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
The people advocating for Miller-Fox aren't advocating for Miller-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba long-term.

They're advocating for Miller-Fox, getting a better LHD to play in top 4, and putting Trouba in a box and mailing the box to Zimbabwe.
1712153501226.gif

Zimbabwe:

• Haha
Reactions: Machinehead

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

No they are not. They're advocating for the switch immediately this season.

If we're talking long-term it begs even more to keep Miller and Fox split on different pairs while finding better partners to maximize their performance over 45-50 minutes on both sides of the ice. But then other factors like cap cost also become important in constructing the whole D group.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Or maybe you're just not privy to thought process of (or private data available to) the winningest American & SC winning coach who led three different teams to SCF?

Ah the appeal to authority.

Everyone has biases, even good coaches. Even the best coaches do dumb things.

I think Jon Cooper is an excellent coach. He too does stupid things on occasion.

Lavi does more dumb things than the best coaches.

Reactions: CLW and LOFIN

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Hanafin to me is the opposite of ideal. He’s gonna get 7x7.
It is not an automatic NO for me. But if Drury decides to improve on Lindgren with someone like Hanifin then I'd right away expect him to move out Trouba for someone who can be an effective 2nd pair D for $5ish AAV - even if this $5 will wind-up on a 3rd pair (with Jones) to let Miller - Schneider be a thing.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Why would 7x$7m be a bad deal for Hanifin?
I haven’t seen much of his game on Vegas, but this year on Calgary I really wasn’t impressed. It looked like his game regressed somewhat and I’m not sure if that’s injury, or just playing for Calgary.
His play in Calgary this year was worth about 5m - 6m.

Reactions: bobbop

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Ah the appeal to authority.

Everyone has biases, even good coaches. Even the best coaches do dumb things.

I think Jon Cooper is an excellent coach. He too does stupid things on occasion.

Lavi does more dumb things than the best coaches.
Again winningest American coach in the history of the NHL, 3 separate teams to SC with one winner. I think he earned a benefit of a doubt while leading the Rangers to the best record in hockey this season, at least from me.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Again winningest American coach in the history of the NHL, 3 separate teams to SC with one winner. I think he earned a benefit of a doubt while leading the Rangers to the best record in hockey this season, at least from me.
If you win, you don't have to explain anything. But until that happens, I think it's fair to point out mistakes and decisions fans disagree with. Otherwise, this would be a pretty boring forum, right?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I get exasperated when I see “Lindgren is holding Fox back” narrative. Fox is PPG defenseman. Are you expecting him to put up McDavid numbers? Obviously there’re different metrics than publicly available that Laviolette is using when evaluating pairs. It also begs a question of what do you do with your 2nd and 3rd pairs when you put Miller / Fox together? Sum of all parts of the whole D Corp matters more than just one pair, obviously. And finally you should expect Miller and Fox together when the team is down and needs a goal or two.

Do you really think Laviolette is using sophisticated metrics? He's a coach not a statistician.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If you win, you don't have to explain anything. But until that happens, I think it's fair to point out mistakes and decisions fans disagree with. Otherwise, this would be a pretty boring forum, right?
Of course, but that's exactly it. We don't know if the Rangers win SC because in the league of over 30 teams it's very hard so career accomplishments do matter. Being part of the "true contenders" group of 6-8 teams is an accomplishment too btw.

Also I don't agree with generic "mistakes" label as I explained why and also how many posters frame these discussions referring to player / coaches with use of terms "idiot" or "suck of shit" etc. After many years most posters who go there would probably make to my ignore list - so I find a lot of one-sided discussions lol.

Reactions: egelband

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

There is no data in existence that justifies continuing to give Trouba such big minutes, especially anywhere close to the amount that Fox gets.

I'm sure he does have a private thought process. It's wrong.

Doesn't mean he's not a good coach, but this is where the "us peons who aren't hockey lifers can't understand the coach," goes off the rails.

No, we get it. And we get this particular subject better than him if he thinks this is a good idea. Coaches aren't right about everything.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
Miller/Fox is just a stupid use of resources. We have seen Miller at his best playing with Schneider. Just put Miller with a young steady guy to allow him to do what he does best. You put him with Fox and he defers to the Norris trophy winner, the same way he defers to the captain. Unleash Miller. He belongs with Schneider.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It makes no sense.

Recent playoffs show big strong forwards being hard to contain on the forecheck wins.

We have two, Cuylle and Rempe. Kakko too.

So leading into the playoffs our coach demotes one to the 4th line after being on the 3rd line all season, then scratches him. Our other big forward who was emerging as one of the not-to-F-with-me forwards in the league gets scratched because he was too tough... and the coach throws our AAAA near 30 small forward onto the 3rd line and our play has dipped to concerning levels.

Now that's not the only reason, but it's a big part when the depth is messed with and then the team gets caved in by opposing forecheck.

Rangers had a good thing going with Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko, and Rempe-Goodrow-Vesey

Brodzinski, no offense to him, doesn't do anything better than any of those other players.

Trouba is a good defenseman because he's tough, Culley is a bad forward despite being tough. Make it make sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad