Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
One popular opinion. One unpopular opinion.

Trouba is legit bad. I know it won't happen, but I think we could compete for the cup without him in the lineup (or playing very sheltered 3rd pair minutes).

Rempe is the most overrated player on earth and makes little to no difference in most games. Is he exciting yes. Is he also largely irrelevant. Yes.
The Garden is a strange place. When they are into the game, the crowd is a factor. Rempe, overrated or not, gets the crowd rocking. That is why you need to dress him. The games comes and goes on momentum swings and he is like an instant momentum swing.

Lav deserves appropriate credit only, no mo no less.
What we have seen is what we are getting.
It can't be said definitively, but I wanted us to promote Knob
mindful of how far he has pulled Oil back from the brink, and also how well he did yr or 2 prior in short stint, that is worthy basis for a discussion

A rest is not a prob and agree a good idea.
A sit down otherwise is likely not

excessive and therefore erroneous

excessive and therefore erroneous x2

Pre injury, Staal was the best shutdown D in the league
Not the best skater, but good. Not the best this or that, but good. Again, only to def not off.
I remember him doing a Jan Erixon from the backline and negating Crosby, etc

To intentionally forget there was true basis of that on eye test, that is revis. history
He had a long reach and they would have figured him out either way. Best shut down D in the league my ass.

ReddestRum

Sad even when winning
Dec 19, 2013
@SML2

Saw your post about KAM and I'll agree to disagree when you say that KAM's the problem. I stole this from reddit.

NYR had the primetime opportunity to roll out Miller/Fox and Jones/Ruhwedel in the last 2 weeks (both well above 50% xGF%) with all 3 of 55, 8 and 56 injured and NYR managed to not put Miller/Fox together

Miller/Fox in the last 3 years at 5v5: shot attempts 213-109 (66%), shots 120-57 (68%), scoring chances 118-61 (66%), high-dangers 39-23 (63%), 65% xGF%

idk how much more simple it can get for them. even the most basic shot/scoring chance differentials are so beyond better than every other pair they've put together. the most extremely obvious choice for a defense pair and NYR actively refuses to do so, for no reason.

NYR in the last 3 years has had only 1 D pair (min 200 TOI) that has controlled 5v5 xGs: Miller/Fox, at 66%. every other NYR pair has been underwater in this.

Miller has his issues for sure, but Trouba is holding Miller back. Much like Lindgren is holding Fox back.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Cuylle could be banged up a bit for all we know, I find it hard to believe Lav is in love with Brodzinski's game so much he's going to sit a kid who's played well, plyas physical, and has been in the lineup since game 1 of the season.
Cuylle could be Def be dealing with a lingering injury.
Fatigue is also a factor. A lot of games played, hit the rookie wall, wants to keep him fresh ish for playoffs.
Could be a combo.
I just don’t see him abandoning Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko in the playoffs.
I don’t like Cuylle on 4th but somthing is def up.

Trouba and Lindgren will both get heavy doses of minutes after being out a while. He’ll try to get their game speed/conditioning up to speed with rest of the team going into the playoffs.
They also haven’t played/practiced a lot with Wennberg/Roslovic since the TDL…
Trouba-Gus/ Trouba-jones should absolutely be 3rd pair, but it def won’t.

Zibby is the biggest worry and continues to be. His play this year reminds me too much of Panarins last season. He’ll get his pts via PP etc but it’s like his game doesn’t have life in it, like he’s going thru the motions.
Hes over passing, trying to be too cute on certain plays, 5v5 he’s left a lot to be desired.
It’s so frustrating because we’ve all seen the type of game he can play when he’s on. It’s not like he hasn’t been that player for 5-6 years.
He’s just having a bad/prob his worst season since we got him even though all stats might not reflect it.
I hate when guys like him play uninspired hockey.
Knowing he can play like a beast especially when he’s on one of his heaters…
This guy getting going is crucial to this team not having to play long grueling playoff series and advancing in general.
I’m at a loss on how to turn him around right now.
I think Lavi is too.
I’d give Cuylle/Kakko a few game with him in the middle to try n shake him awake…

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
the records will show I have been right about every coach so far.

I faced harsh pushback each time early on, but as time went on everyone came around to my view.

Nowadays how many people think Quinn or Gallant were good coaches for this team or that it was a mistake to fire them? Zero.

I'm not ready to put Laviolette in that category (yet), but he worries me a lot with his refusal to ackowledge glaring issues that have been apparent since game 1 of the season. And i'm worried it will sink us in the playoffs.
Coaches last a few seasons. All you have to do is shit on them from the get go, and eventually you'll be "right the whole time!"

Quinn was a good idea at the time. Gave a guy his first shot in the league since we were in a transitional period anyway. He was supposed to be "College coach that should be good with the youth." He was not. LOL He had some good stretches, but it was obviously time to move on.

Gallant came into absolute chaos in Florida and Vegas, and his system of lacking a system altogether actually worked for a short amount of time. And it worked here! It's just "a good time, not a long time" type of thing.

I was skeptical of Ruff being an assistant, because he was a similarly systemless coach. And then he goes to Jersey and has a nice little run where he out-non-coaches a fellow non-coach in Gallant! Now, they're both gone. Predictably, too.

Lavi's a good coach, with an actual system, at the right time, and quote "I FKN love being here with you guys." He's making some questionable decisions near the tail end of a season where we're first in the league despite plenty of adversity, so I'm still giving him two kicks at the can with this squad. If we flop in the first or second round this year, then I'll still give him a whole 'nother season to try and do better.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Coaches last a few seasons. All you have to do is shit on them from the get go, and eventually you'll be "right the whole time!"

Quinn was a good idea at the time. Gave a guy his first shot in the league since we were in a transitional period anyway. He was supposed to be "College coach that should be good with the youth." He was not. LOL He had some good stretches, but it was obviously time to move on.

Gallant came into absolute chaos in Florida and Vegas, and his system of lacking a system altogether actually worked for a short amount of time. And it worked here! It's just "a good time, not a long time" type of thing.

I was skeptical of Ruff being an assistant, because he was a similarly systemless coach. And then he goes to Jersey and has a nice little run where he out-non-coaches a fellow non-coach in Gallant! Now, they're both gone. Predictably, too.

Lavi's a good coach, with an actual system, at the right time, and quote "I FKN love being here with you guys." He's making some questionable decisions near the tail end of a season where we're first in the league despite plenty of adversity, so I'm still giving him two kicks at the can with this squad. If we flop in the first or second round this year, then I'll still give him a whole 'nother season to try and do better.
He definitely blows the last 2 out of the water when it comes to systems and X’s and O’s

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If the team pouts enough where their play is hurt because their captain is benched because he sucks then they weren't mentally tough to win it all to begin with.

50-21-4 team isn't benching their captain after he played a bad game after against the best player of this century. Trouba sucks but my whole point here is be realistic.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Cuylle could be Def be dealing with a lingering injury.
Fatigue is also a factor. A lot of games played, hit the rookie wall, wants to keep him fresh ish for playoffs.
Could be a combo.
I just don’t see him abandoning Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko in the playoffs.
I don’t like Cuylle on 4th but somthing is def up.

Trouba and Lindgren will both get heavy doses of minutes after being out a while. He’ll try to get their game speed/conditioning up to speed with rest of the team going into the playoffs.
They also haven’t played/practiced a lot with Wennberg/Roslovic since the TDL…
Trouba-Gus/ Trouba-jones should absolutely be 3rd pair, but it def won’t.

Zibby is the biggest worry and continues to be. His play this year reminds me too much of Panarins last season. He’ll get his pts via PP etc but it’s like his game doesn’t have life in it, like he’s going thru the motions.
Hes over passing, trying to be too cute on certain plays, 5v5 he’s left a lot to be desired.
It’s so frustrating because we’ve all seen the type of game he can play when he’s on. It’s not like he hasn’t been that player for 5-6 years.
He’s just having a bad/prob his worst season since we got him even though all stats might not reflect it.
I hate when guys like him play uninspired hockey.
Knowing he can play like a beast especially when he’s on one of his heaters…
This guy getting going is crucial to this team not having to play long grueling playoff series and advancing in general.
I’m at a loss on how to turn him around right now.
I think Lavi is too.
I’d give Cuylle/Kakko a few game with him in the middle to try n shake him awake…

One of the few posts of substance over the past few days.

Reactions: bhamill

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
@SML2

Saw your post about KAM and I'll agree to disagree when you say that KAM's the problem. I stole this from reddit.

NYR had the primetime opportunity to roll out Miller/Fox and Jones/Ruhwedel in the last 2 weeks (both well above 50% xGF%) with all 3 of 55, 8 and 56 injured and NYR managed to not put Miller/Fox together

Miller/Fox in the last 3 years at 5v5: shot attempts 213-109 (66%), shots 120-57 (68%), scoring chances 118-61 (66%), high-dangers 39-23 (63%), 65% xGF%

idk how much more simple it can get for them. even the most basic shot/scoring chance differentials are so beyond better than every other pair they've put together. the most extremely obvious choice for a defense pair and NYR actively refuses to do so, for no reason.

NYR in the last 3 years has had only 1 D pair (min 200 TOI) that has controlled 5v5 xGs: Miller/Fox, at 66%. every other NYR pair has been underwater in this.

Miller has his issues for sure, but Trouba is holding Miller back. Much like Lindgren is holding Fox back.
I get exasperated when I see “Lindgren is holding Fox back” narrative. Fox is PPG defenseman. Are you expecting him to put up McDavid numbers? Obviously there’re different metrics than publicly available that Laviolette is using when evaluating pairs. It also begs a question of what do you do with your 2nd and 3rd pairs when you put Miller / Fox together? Sum of all parts of the whole D Corp matters more than just one pair, obviously. And finally you should expect Miller and Fox together when the team is down and needs a goal or two.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I get exasperated when I see “Lindgren is holding Fox back” narrative. Fox is PPG defenseman. Are you expecting him to put up McDavid numbers? Obviously there’re different metrics than publicly available that Laviolette is using when evaluating pairs. It also begs a question of what do you do with your 2nd and 3rd pairs when you put Miller / Fox together? Sum of all parts of the whole D Corp matters more than just one pair, obviously. And finally you should expect Miller and Fox together when the team is down and needs a goal or two.
Of course, if you had Miller/Fox together from the beginning, you may not be down a goal or two.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

well yeah, if you generate more scoring chances and give up fewer with a different partner for Fox, it stands to reason that his numbers would be better over a longer period of time.

The metrics aren't why Lindgren remains attached to him. Thats a Lavi thing. Lavi does alot of stupid things.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
well yeah, if you generate more scoring chances and give up fewer with a different partner for Fox, it stands to reason that his numbers would be better over a longer period of time.

The metrics aren't why Lindgren remains attached to him. Thats a Lavi thing. Lavi does alot of stupid things.
I think the point is that there’s still a finite level of improvement that you can have.

Also the numbers may look great for Fox and miller, but then you get Lindgren/Trouba and those numbers probably shift down even more than Fox and miller go up, so the team gets a net negative for the move.
It isn’t about improving one pairs numbers, it’s about improving the teams overall numbers.
If Fox keeps Lindgren from being trashed on every shift, and miller keeps trouba’s head afloat, We do a lot better than one great pair and one absolutely terrible pair.

Reactions: kovazub94

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think the point is that there’s still a finite level of improvement that you can have.

Also the numbers may look great for Fox and miller, but then you get Lindgren/Trouba and those numbers probably shift down even more than Fox and miller go up, so the team gets a net negative for the move.
It isn’t about improving one pairs numbers, it’s about improving the teams overall numbers.
If Fox keeps Lindgren from being trashed on every shift, and miller keeps trouba’s head afloat, We do a lot better than one great pair and one absolutely terrible pair.
The people advocating for Miller-Fox aren't advocating for Miller-Fox and Lindgren-Trouba long-term.

They're advocating for Miller-Fox, getting a better LHD to play in top 4, and putting Trouba in a box and mailing the box to Zimbabwe.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Brodzinski instead of Cuylle 🤦‍♂️
Trying Trouba at top 4 again 🤦‍♂️
Making Jones sit out 🤦‍♂️

It’s so wild how, I can agree with just about everything and be in awe of the coach for 75 games. And then in the final week of the season he develops senility or somehow strays from common sense.

Trouba is pretty closely following Marc Staal career honestly they are very similar players and one thing about Marc Staal is he adapted his game to be much safer and defensive minded. Trouba has yet to acknowledge his regression and thinks his issues are “easily fixable”. No they’re not dude you’re cooked now play shutdown 3rd pair role. Staal reinvented himself amidst decline. Trouba is stuck on denial.
It's craziness. They're out in 1 round if he pulls this crap in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad