Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Marc Staal was a great player before the back nine of his career, Trouba is far worse and was never good
Revisionist history. People claimed he was a top pair Dman. False. Had no offensive game whatsoever. If his last name was Rogers, he's just another guy.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Retread coach favors his vets, news at 11. He's gonna let his vets "play through it" and work things out before the playoffs, not sure why this is a source of angst. If Trouba is ass they're dead in the water. If he can be average, they have a chance. Simple stuff.

Cuylle has very obviously hit a wall and could probably use some time off. Giving him a game or two to watch is fine.

Not benching Goodrow is obviously asinine but this is who Laviolette has been his entire career.

None of the above matters one iota if Mika doesn't step it up in a large way.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Revisionist history. People claimed he was a top pair Dman. False. Had no offensive game whatsoever. If his last name was Rogers, he's just another guy.

I agree with this. Staal was an ascending player when he suffered the eye injury but we maybe got a month or two of him being even top pair caliber before that. He never did anything offensively. He was a good Ranger because he was a warrior but he never lived up to the potential.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Goodrow is still very good on the pk. He is fine for 4th line. I have no problems with him playing other than his salary.

I have. No problem with trouba playing bc he is the captain and u really cant just bench him. I have major problems with him pairing with miller as miller and Schneider looked very good for the most part.

I dont get why trouba cant just be on the third pairing with jones/gus.

I have no freaking clue why brodzinski is untouchable on the third line. That truly makes no sense. Cuylle on that line looked solid and all three of them became possessionmonsters. Brodz is the definition of 13th forward. Wont hurt you, wont help you but can step in in a pinch. But in no way should he be a regular.

I agree with this. Staal was an ascending player when he suffered the eye injury but we maybe got a month or two of him being even top pair caliber before that. He never did anything offensively. He was a good Ranger because he was a warrior but he never lived up to the potential.
If i remember correctly, his offensive game was just really starting to develop the year he got injured. But he was absolutely a top 2 pairing defender still, because he was very good defensively. Him vs Ovi was fun to watch.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Honestly, stereotyping like above is really only making YOU look dumb. You're better than this.

I'll stand by it. Perhaps you are reading into it what's not there.

I'm not saying hockey players are dumb per se. But I am saying they aren't smarter than most of the professions we have, generally.

If anything I'm stereotyping upwards.

They aren't better than us because they played. They are just athletes, not super humans.

What they have on most of us is a Rolodex.

Ok, I admit, it was a cheap shot on Jeremy Roenick.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
They do, but that's still not nearly as much as coaches have. Can you at least acknowledge the possibility that Lavi might be making his decision based on information that you aren't privy to? Or that it's probably just because Goodrow and Vesey kill penalties, and that is a valid enough reason?

I acknowledge occasionally it could be the case, but I do not concede that it is always the case, in fact I maintain the opposite. At least a good amount of the time it is due to comfortability.

Enough of the time that they should not be insulated from bad decisions with "Well they are the coach, they know more."

No, if the information their decisions are based on isn't apparent, criticism is fair game. That doesn't mean they can't make that decision if they have some hidden knowledge - they are the coach. At the end of the day results matter more than the basis of their decisions.

But if they keep everything a secret and it fails, they can't hide behind "Well I knew something you didn't." Unless its explained.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Staal was a solid player when he was in his prime, and the context of his first few years, felt like a big deal. This was a franchise that was a desert for defensemen post-Leetch, especially when it came to production. Outside of one really, really good Rozsival year, there wasn't much and expectations were immediately heaped on Staal to be a legit #1. Same for Redden, even though he was second fiddle to Chara and never really was what we expected.

Once McDonagh arrived, he blew away everyone post-Leetch, including Staal, and really recontextualized how Rangers fans in my generation viewed defensemen. Then Fox blew away McDonagh and changed the standards again.

Staal, again, was good, but with the hindsight of McDonagh being a legit #1 and Fox being a future Hall of Famer, I'm not convinced Staal was any better than what Lindgren was at his peak.

Panarin has been a similar force at forward. What he's doing feels normal for Artemi Panarin but it sticks out like a sore thumb in Rangers history and makes everyone post-Jagr feel like a joke. Kreider is rightfully prasied for his place in Rangers history having surpassed 300 goals. If Panarin signs another extension with the Rangers, he's going to score 300 goals for the club in like two-thirds of the time it took Kreider. He's going to enter the top 10 all-time in assists by a Ranger before the year is over.

Reactions: NYR Viper

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
I have. No problem with trouba playing bc he is the captain and u really cant just bench him. I have major problems with him pairing with miller as miller and Schneider looked very good for the most part.

I dont get why trouba cant just be on the third pairing with jones/gus.
They can easily bench trouba for poor play. All laviolette has to do is decide to bench trouba, then put somebody else in the lineup. At the minimum, demote him like you suggested. Flyers scratched Couturier who is their captain and a much better player than Trouba. The locker room wouldn’t spontaneously combust if this guy who is a clear cut liability had to sit

Reactions: tiggles

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Marc Staal was a great player before the back nine of his career, Trouba is far worse and was never good

Great?

He was more than a #4 for a month and a half before his eye Injury.

He was always overrated as balls. Good defender? Yeah in some ways but his general impact was really just okay. Post eye injury he was horrible and got worse as his feet went.

Reactions: ArPanet

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He hasn’t been good because he’s playing with Goodrow and Vesey who has been struggling. Cuylle should be on the 3rd. Don’t think he should sit for Rempe. But Lavi loves Brodz, Goodrow and Vesey to a fault. He was doing the same thing with Bonino until Drury stepped in imo

Jones coming out after playing well. Especially with how bad Trouba has looked. I get it, they need to try to get Trouba “game ready” in theory. Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Can’t wait to see stone feet get matched up against Hughes
general agree on the Fs
Cuylle should be on the 3rd w/KK
Rempe should not sit

Good, Brodz, Vesey + even Wenn/Rosc should sit first, on alternating basis
also Eds should be here playing

KAM hate is misplaced
flawed game, yes, but too much effort to cover partner
should have accepted growing pains on Robertson and hopefully had further depth options

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He sits not too far from me. I love that he can absolutely afford any seat and he sits in the 200's. A man of the people.

That's where the fans are anyway. Down below it's companies and suits. Unless, you go to a smaller market team then the fans are down below also.

Reactions: Machinehead

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
When the 13th forward has blown up a very effective 3rd line and the 7th defenseman is playing 22 minutes a night, it’s worth discussing
Not when the 7th defensemen is on the 2nd pair & the 13th forward is on the 3rd line
People are complaining about a top 9 player in brodz and a top 4 dman in Trouba. That’s not out 13F and 7D.

Trouba isnt getting benched. Sorry to break this news to everyone but we should be hoping he plays better rather than wanting to change reality. He is going to get some rope to finish the season. The better complaint is why is he playing with Miller? Both guys have been butter soft all year outside of a few moments that have been few and far between. Miller has looked better without Trouba because Fox and Schneider are better than Trouba. Miller is the same player regardless of the pair he's on.

As for Cuylle/Brodz/Rempe, nothing moves me less than which one of those guys is in the lineup on a given day, with 7 games to go in the season. Cuylle has hit a wall, Rempe is raw as anything and Brodz is at least a good version of McKegg or Rooney. They'll all play at some point in the playoffs. Im happy to see Rempe getting back in because the Rangers were stale as week old bread yesterday.

Reactions: TominNC

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'll stand by it. Perhaps you are reading into it what's not there.

I'm not saying hockey players are dumb per se. But I am saying they aren't smarter than most of the professions we have, generally.

If anything I'm stereotyping upwards.

They aren't better than us because they played. They are just athletes, not super humans.

What they have on most of us is a Rolodex.

Ok, I admit, it was a cheap shot on Jeremy Roenick.
Most of these guys have devoted their entire lives to the sport. Live, breath, eat, sleep it. How can you possibly think you know more about the game or how it's played than they do? Jeremy Roenick might be clinically Pejorative Slured and I'd still trust his hockey knowledge over yours, or anyone's here, any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad