Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Of course it does. Play your most important, undersized defenseman, 30 minutes a night in the playoffs. What could possibly go wrong, coach?

I didn't say nothing could go wrong, but playing a guy who is bleeding goals left and right isn't a good option either (it's a worse option).

The GM has to fix this mess by getting Trouba off the roster ASAP.

If only they had realized it back when it was obvious to a lowly message board poster 2 years ago, this problem would be solved already and we'd have a better chance in the playoffs this year. But no, his hits and toughness and leadership are definitely helping us win the Cup despite the 2 goals a game he's giving up.

Last edited:

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
I didn't say nothing could go wrong, but playing a guy who is bleeding goals left and right isn't a good option either.

The GM has to fix this mess by getting Trouba off the roster ASAP.
Both you guys are right. The solution isn't to increase Fox's minutes to 30 so he's above Trouba. The solution is to leave Fox's minutes alone and give Schneider a lot of Trouba's minutes. Technically, we are wasting Schneider's talents

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I haven’t seen much of his game on Vegas, but this year on Calgary I really wasn’t impressed. It looked like his game regressed somewhat and I’m not sure if that’s injury, or just playing for Calgary.
His play in Calgary this year was worth about 5m - 6m.

He was easily a $7m guy in Calgary. We need to be cognizant of the fact that the cap is increasing. $7m now, in 3 years, will look more like $5m

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
The Rangers should be giving Trouba's minutes to Adam Clendening obviously
It's even more pronounced when we are holding a guy back that deserves more ice time in Schneider. Both him and Miller are not being put in the best positions to succeed. We could have 2 all stars on our hands and we will never know it until Trouba doesn't play half the ES minutes.

Reactions: McRanger92

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Swapping Jones in for Trouba straight up is a win for this team. Regular season, playoffs, March Madness, whatever format they are playing in.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Swapping Jones in for Trouba straight up is a win for this team. Regular season, playoffs, March Madness, whatever format they are playing in.

Ok coach

It's even more pronounced when we are holding a guy back that deserves more ice time in Schneider. Both him and Miller are not being put in the best positions to succeed. We could have 2 all stars on our hands and we will never know it until Trouba doesn't play half the ES minutes.

I wouldn’t say Schneider is being held back but I think the organization is very aware that he is capable of more and will make decisions based on that fact in the summer

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
All jokes aside, we both know this isn't going to happen. Lavi, Cooper, Bowman, Keenan, Herb Brooks aren't taking Trouba out of the lineup at this point in the season. You hate him, we get it. But this is like the 3rd coach that's used him the exact same way now. The team is 50-21- and whatever and in first place in the entire league. If you want Jones in the guy that would have to come out is Gus.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
He was easily a $7m guy in Calgary. We need to be cognizant of the fact that the cap is increasing. $7m now, in 3 years, will look more like $5m
And in the next 2 years we need to extend Kakko, Schneider, Laf, miller, Shesty.
Now we may shed Trouba, we’re unlikely to shed ck and Mika. Cap going up is great but we need to lock in long term deals for hopefully all of them, so that we can have cap space as other deals expire and the cap goes up after that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
And in the next 2 years we need to extend Kakko, Schneider, Laf, miller, Shesty.
Now we may shed Trouba, we’re unlikely to shed ck and Mika. Cap going up is great but we need to lock in long term deals for hopefully all of them, so that we can have cap space as other deals expire and the cap goes up after that.

The team paying Fox and Hanifin as top-4 d-men long term won't be an issue. Choices will always need to be made but even at $7m, that's not really a concern

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It makes no sense.

Recent playoffs show big strong forwards being hard to contain on the forecheck wins.

We have two, Cuylle and Rempe. Kakko too.

So leading into the playoffs our coach demotes one to the 4th line after being on the 3rd line all season, then scratches him. Our other big forward who was emerging as one of the not-to-F-with-me forwards in the league gets scratched because he was too tough... and the coach throws our AAAA near 30 small forward onto the 3rd line and our play has dipped to concerning levels.

Now that's not the only reason, but it's a big part when the depth is messed with and then the team gets caved in by opposing forecheck.

Rangers had a good thing going with Cuylle-Wennberg-Kakko, and Rempe-Goodrow-Vesey

Brodzinski, no offense to him, doesn't do anything better than any of those other players.
111% this, except I split Brod/Good mins AFTER giving Eds time

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I forget he existed!

He was a somewhat serviceable bottom pair D, I thought. Didn't score enough in the NHL for teams to be comfortable with his lack of size but I never hated him.

He's had a nice career in the AHL and Europe.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I forget he existed!

He was a somewhat serviceable bottom pair D, I thought. Didn't score enough in the NHL for teams to be comfortable with his lack of size but I never hated him.

He's had a nice career in the AHL and Europe.

He was on Hartford last year! That was a blast from the past

• Wow
Reactions: Machinehead

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
It is not an automatic NO for me. But if Drury decides to improve on Lindgren with someone like Hanifin then I'd right away expect him to move out Trouba for someone who can be an effective 2nd pair D for $5ish AAV - even if this $5 will wind-up on a 3rd pair (with Jones) to let Miller - Schneider be a thing.
Count me in on not wanting hanifin…..
This is his big $$ retirement deal…
If he wants Vegas/tampa taxes are obviously a huge factor for him, so NYR would have to offer more to balance it out…..
He’s too much like Brady Skjei for my liking.
I think he’s better than Skjei but not ideal imo.
I know people want miller-fox, but I also don’t think that’s an ideal pairing either tbh.
The best bang for buck UFA imo is Roy.
Hes positionally sound and steady as the day is long.
He’s be an ideal partner, especially for a young up and coming kid, which jones/schneider/and miller are.
Problem is he’s going to cost 6-6.5 a year with term….
I don’t think NYR moves Trouba to turn around and hand that contract to Roy…..
The best/most logical outcome is to get some type of offseason trade for a cost controlled good D with term.
My guess is, most will hate what we have to give up to get said player.

I’m not a giant chychrun fan, though I think him/Schneider make a good 3-4 2nd pair…..
But then your back to miller-Fox

I’m 99% sure Lindgren is staying.
Trouba is the move, and it should happen this offseason….

Do they try to bargain bin hunt like with Gus? Or will a major trade occur.
I’ve seen Theodore’s name brought up, no clue why Vegas would move him before other contracts though

Ideally Lindgren is signed to a good deal and Trouba is dealt.
NYR can start next year with

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-trade/UFA
Or

trade/UFA-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Lindgren-Jones

Obviously depending on which route they go and the caliber of player they target.

Whether people like it or not, this organization/coaching staff want miller-Schneider to be a pair long term in the near future.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If I didn’t hate how 11/7 works in practice is advocate for it in theory. Especially with how weak our 12th forward is

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad