Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don’t think the team wants to trade Trouba. So I assume he’s staying.

Lindgren’s rights shopped for a mid to late 1st. Then parlay that 1st (or our 1st) for a younger puck moving D.

Put Jones on the 3rd pair with Trouba. Let Gustafsson walk.

He will get $4-5M AAV on the open market.
mgmt may want troub, but cap will dictate.
If we are stupid, do not listen to bern, extend select youth longer term, cost of doing so will go up. We should have offered KAM larger 6-8 yr deal.

bold: dat wuz den an dis is now
As recently as last yr, maybe as high as 20OA-ish. maybe.
now a 2nd, maybe a 2nd +

This is why I say 2 3rds + Lindy + Jones for two 2nds
Jones is barely a 3rd returned, MAYBE
packaged together, you get 2 2nds

Jones = value as a stopgap placeholder but = higher if w/add garners a better pick
Accept growing pains, Robertson/Mackey now. Scanlin next yr
Fortescue as soon as he is ready, likely season after next at earliest

would love to pay for gus for 1 mo yr, even w/raise, BUT NO CAN DO, b'c eye test says after fab first half of season, he is running out of gas
good experiment this yr
repeating w/raise he expects/deserves + giving even mo mins as he is older = no
gotta think AHEAD of the curve

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Robertson taking that next step would absolutely transform the complexion of our D core. A few seasons ago, Robby and Schneids had the same forecast, basically L-R dopplegangers. Standout seasons in the W, and solid yet simple AHL rookie seasons. I'm not out here saying it's "likely" comes up next season and delivers a Schneider-like season, but oh boy, anywhere remotely close to that would be a HUGE boon for our present and future.

Jones has been a good soldier, and next season he should be rewarded with 40+ games as opposed to the 20+ this season. And it's only getting that high this season because of injuries. There's definitely a 3LD / PP2 role in the NHL for him. It would be nice if it was with us. Robertson should take a look at how Jones has conducted himself. THAT should be his light at the end of the tunnel.

If Lavi has no faith in Jones, Rob, or Scans next season, then Fortescue becomes one of the most important prospects in our system. Those kids age out and don't stick, we've got like nothing left. Unfortunately, that's why I'm okay with the underwhelming "status quo" move, keeping everyone except Gus, and platooning "two Jonses."
In what world were these guys ever on the same trajectory?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I agree, that's more likely. Detroit gave Gostisbehere ~4 Mil for this season. Pretty close comparable. People might forget that Laviolette had Gus the season prior on that crappy Washington team. He was playing him 20 minutes a night. Gus was fantastic, one of the few bright spots on that team. So it's not like this would be untested waters, he has succeeded in a top 4 role.

The sort of player people want to target is slim pickings. Good teams that have them don't want to trade them, most of the crappy teams don't have the player people are looking for. We could find a stopgap that's an upgrade over Lindgren. Long term, draft a good defender or trade for a D prospect, maybe a good UFA becomes available.

I think the plan has to be exactly this. Find a good veteran LD who will sign short term, 2-3 years, and then draft and develop. It also keeps your options open in case someone shakes free.

Ive seen Wennberg play 2 games and I'm ready to extend him. He's the play driver that 3rd line needed and he's got the versatility to move up and down and right to left in the lineup. Doesn't hurt that he called coming here a dream come true.

Roslovic has been a good fit but still need to see more, he has certainly given Mika and Kreider some space on that line though

When he was acquired I brought up extending him. He really is a very good option for this team. He's at a good age, he plays within himself, he shouldn't cost a ton of money towards the cap and his skating and 2-way play are ideal for the role they will need from him. The Rangers have the cap space to re-sign him. If I'm Drury, this is a pretty high priority for me.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think the plan has to be exactly this. Find a good veteran LD who will sign short term, 2-3 years, and then draft and develop. It also keeps your options open in case someone shakes free.

When he was acquired I brought up extending him. He really is a very good option for this team. He's at a good age, he plays within himself, he shouldn't cost a ton of money towards the cap and his skating and 2-way play are ideal for the role they will need from him. The Rangers have the cap space to re-sign him. If I'm Drury, this is a pretty high priority for me.

Repeat what Vegas did when they added & extended Barbashev last year. Middle of the lineup player that makes the rest of the roster fall into place.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Chytil is good to go next season (hopefully) can shift him to the wing and whoever is better at faceoffs between him and Wennberg can take thr draws.

Cuylle - Wennberg - Chytil

Or maybe Chytil can slot in the RW spot next to Zib and Kreider?

For the first scenario, odd man out would be Kakko, especially if Berard or Othmann pushes to make the lineup. Not sure if Berard can play the RW.

Kreider - Zib - Chytil
Panarin - Trocheck - Laff
Cuylle - Wennberg - Berard/Kakko
Berard - Edstrom - Rempe

Reactions: NYR Viper

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Chytil is good to go next season (hopefully) can shift him to the wing and whoever is better at faceoffs between him and Wennberg can take thr draws.

For the first scenario, odd man out would be Kakko, especially if Berard or Othmann pushes to make the lineup. Not sure if Berard can play the RW.

Kreider - Zib - Chytil
Berard - Edstrom - Rempe

That is also my thought. Push Chytil to wing on that top line or push Lafreniere up and Chytil to that 2nd line. It gives them options, assuming he is healthy

Reactions: UAGoalieGuy

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Kreider - Zib - Chytil
Berard - Edstrom - Rempe

Sever lack of Vesey here. 13 5v5 goals for 800K. Not beating that value.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Brodz is back tonight !

I bet they give Berard a look next game
they have called up tons of different F all year so why not ?

If not it’s gonna be Petan or Belzile to sit around
We are only allowed 4 call ups the rest of the regular season. I don't know why they do that, but that's the rule. So we probably won't see any call ups unless they are absolutely necessary.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I'd love to re-sign Wennberg. Dude is just rock solid in all facets of the game. Even if Chytil comes back, we need someone like this for the foreseeable future. Not sure what the center market looks like for this off-season because if he excels here, he will get a nice contract for next season.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I'd love to re-sign Wennberg. Dude is just rock solid in all facets of the game. Even if Chytil comes back, we need someone like this for the foreseeable future. Not sure what the center market looks like for this off-season because if he excels here, he will get a nice contract for next season.
We may not have the cap to bring back this entire team. Adding ufa’s is gonna be even tougher.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Really like Wennberg but like Copp if he has a good run I don't see how we can afford him in terms of years and Money unless he's taking Chytil's spot/money.

We are only allowed 4 call ups the rest of the regular season. I don't know why they do that, but that's the rule. So we probably won't see any call ups unless they are absolutely necessary.
Thanks for the info that sucks. Would have liked to see Edstrom for tonight or Thursday. Even Berard albeit he probably should keep developing in Hartford until end of year.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
They will have cap space to bring back anybody they want to. Cap is going up by around 4 mil and Goodrow will certainly be gone. That's 7.6 mil right there.
Assuming kakko at 3m
Lindgren at 3m
Gus isn’t gonna be league min. And you have to replace Goodrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad