Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Trouba (8M x 2)
for
Fowler (6.5M x 2)

Fowler - Fox
KAM - Schneider

Mintyukov - Gudas
Zellweger - Trouba
A lot will depend on his MNTC and who’s on it.
Not to say he wouldn’t change his mind and go to a place for a year or 2 if he sees an up and coming team on a hot streak that wants him….
These guys want to play. He’s going to want a top 4 role somewhere…
He and his wife have a home in FLA…. He’s from MIch….
I’d wager anywhere in Canada is a no go for him for sure…
The rest is up in the air tbh..

NYR prob wants picks/prospects in order to clear his cap and use it elsewhere, that would be my opinion.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A lot will depend on his MNTC and who’s on it.
Not to say he wouldn’t change his mind and go to a place for a year or 2 if he sees an up and coming team on a hot streak that wants him….
These guys want to play. He’s going to want a top 4 role somewhere…
He and his wife have a home in FLA…. He’s from MIch….
I’d wager anywhere in Canada is a no go for him for sure…
The rest is up in the air tbh..

NYR prob wants picks/prospects in order to clear his cap and use it elsewhere, that would be my opinion.

Valid point, the Ducks are terrible this year and are likely on many NTC lists for that reason.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
And who exactly are we playing kreider with?
Because Wennberg isn't gonna be a massive upgrade offensively over the zib we're getting...
Wennberg could work with Panarin and Laffy. Trocheck with Kreider.

need to have a strong top9 producing if we want to be serious with contention.

Reactions: CLW and NYR Viper

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Kreider isn’t going anywhere right now.

You are not going to find 30+ goals anywhere else for $6.5 MM.
Yeah based on lot of factors he’d be least likely to go (but more than Schneider - my point was to remove from your list) but as you said summer moves will depend on how they all and individually fare in playoffs.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If we look at some UFA d-men who the Rangers SHOULD have interest in, assuming Lindgren and Trouba are traded and what AFP has for their contract projections:

Matt Roy
4 years @ ~$5.6m

Sean Walker
4 years @ $4.9m

Brenden Dillon
2 years $ $3.9m

Dylan Demelo
4 years @ $5.1m

Erik Gustafsson
3 years @ $5m

Brett Pesce
6 years @ $6.7m

Justin Schultz
2 years @ ~$3.8m

OEL
3 years @ $3.7m

If it were my call, I'm looking at Dillon, short term, to play with Fox, backup plan would be OEL.

In terms of the RD, if I could make it work, I'm looking at Pesce, Demelo or Roy. Ideally keeping the contracts in the $5's for Pesce or high $4's for Demelo or Roy.

I'd also prioritize a good, veteran, #7 d-man.
My fear with dumping both Lindgren and Trouba in the summer would be that our defense becomes soft. Their replacements better bring some of that -- not snarl but they need to be hard to play against. On this list, I also like Dillon as a Lindgren replacement and Demelo as a Trouba replacement. 11m in cap vs 9m with those projections. Seems like an unlikely scenario though.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
My fear with dumping both Lindgren and Trouba in the summer would be that our defense becomes soft. Their replacements better bring some of that -- not snarl but they need to be hard to play against. On this list, I also like Dillon as a Lindgren replacement and Demelo as a Trouba replacement. 11m in cap vs 9m with those projections. Seems like an unlikely scenario though.

I find a lot of these options highly unrealistic. If they're going to sign someone for about the same money as Lindgren they probably will just sign Lindgren. If they're going to go for someone cheaper in that spot that's a different story.

Reactions: egelband

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
You are not misquoting me, thank you.
But context.
We need to go younger than either Skjei or Lindy or similar vet placeholder.
It is on me and I apologize if that was not clearer, but not ''word salad'.

Jones is another Fox, a super lite copy. For obv reasons we are married to the original. We need size and speed and stickhandling. We should recover assets to help w/what was squandered.

We should have dealt Lindgren + Jones + pair of 3rds for a pair of 2nds.

Should have accepted growing pains on robertson, etc and should still do now.

Lindgren is not frail, but he is HUGELY suffering from wear and tear.

Say he holds up most of the way and gets crushed to IR.
Our reserves are thinner b'c we did not develop.

this mostly comes down to if one has immediate vs long term view
I agree that we should aim to get a younger top 4 D than Skjei at 30. Just saying that if a bona fide top 4 D wants to come here for a shorter deal at a nice AAV, then that would allow us to develop that youth. I'm a little wary of the full 5 years for Lindgren, but 3 or 4 would be perfectly fine, imo. He's freshly 26, but a lot of HARD miles on that engine. So I get both sides of that argument.

Trading Lindgren while not having a replacement would be a mistake. That leaves a lot of hard minutes to be played. While it would be nice to find someone 25 or younger for that spot, those guys aren't often available, and when they are, super expensive. Both in acquisition cost, and usually coinciding with their first big pay day.

I'm all about platooning Jones and Robertson as 3LD next season and working through the growing pains. But the way you phrase it seems to be going back to that "penciling in a rookie in a top 4 role before they ever play a game."

If we trade Jones as you're so eager to do, I'm fine with doing that same platoon with Scanlin and Robertson. The names can be tweaked, but the premise is the same. Develop youth in a more limited role so that they prove themselves ready before they are promoted further up in the lineup.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I agree that we should aim to get a younger top 4 D than Skjei at 30. Just saying that if a bona fide top 4 D wants to come here for a shorter deal at a nice AAV, then that would allow us to develop that youth. I'm a little wary of the full 5 years for Lindgren, but 3 or 4 would be perfectly fine, imo. He's freshly 26, but a lot of HARD miles on that engine. So I get both sides of that argument.

Trading Lindgren while not having a replacement would be a mistake. That leaves a lot of hard minutes to be played. While it would be nice to find someone 25 or younger for that spot, those guys aren't often available, and when they are, super expensive. Both in acquisition cost, and usually coinciding with their first big pay day.

I'm all about platooning Jones and Robertson as 3LD next season and working through the growing pains. But the way you phrase it seems to be going back to that "penciling in a rookie in a top 4 role before they ever play a game."

If we trade Jones as you're so eager to do, I'm fine with doing that same platoon with Scanlin and Robertson. The names can be tweaked, but the premise is the same. Develop youth in a more limited role so that they prove themselves ready before they are promoted further up in the lineup.
This is something I’m wondering as well… it’s my opinion Robertson should be playing 3rd pair NHL minutes, getting nhl experience and make nhl mistakes etc…
Maybe not for us, or not even a contender but he needs to be up playing somewhere imo.
He’s never going to be a 1 PP guy or elite shutdown defender… but he’s got nhl speed/size/ puck skills etc
You can tell he’s got the goods, just there is inconsistency on a game to game basis it feels.
I think playing on someone’s 3rd pair with a solid vet, keeping his game simple is crucial for him very soon…
If I were him, I’d prob quietly ask to be traded.
He hasn’t looked as good this year opposed to last season in the games I watched… I feel he may be getting stagnant/complacent with no light at the end of the tunnel here if he believes that.

Scanlin is another big boy and interesting as well. I agree with def getting them some time in the nhl in the upcoming season

Last edited:
Reactions: Kendo

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wennberg could work with Panarin and Laffy. Trocheck with Kreider.

need to have a strong top9 producing if we want to be serious with contention.

If given a blank slate to start the season, this is the route I’d go. Then Cuylle-Zibanejad-Kakko

I don’t disagree about the physical element, that’s why I like the idea of someone like Dillon. He’s a bigger guy who plays a physical style and shouldn’t require a long term commitment.

In all fairness, if the team gets a full year from Edstrom and Rempe up front and an elevated role from Cuylle that should compensate. Berard and/or Othmann as well.

There’s no sugarcoating it that losing Trouba would make the defense less physical. But for the net benefit of the team, it makes sense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

I suspect we are closer to the same pg even if not 111% so.

There is no Jones hate, just find Fox does most of the puck moving, granted still need that for another 35-ish mins a nite besides AF, but another puck mover is a luxury if he does not make signif contrib to actual defense.

Lindy has gotta go. Not too long ago, he garnered a late 1st. He is falling apart. Get something now -> than his limited + decreasing current production.

I don'thave a prob w/Scanlin getting mins
Robertson should have already had a cup o coffee LAST YR and been here NOW

Happy to see we are in agreement about going younger if possible, and working to make that happen.

I want righty RDs Helleson from ANA, Barron from MON, and the floor is open on younger lefties to add

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
This is something I’m wondering as well… it’s my opinion Robertson should be playing 3rd pair NHL minutes, getting nhl experience and make nhl mistakes etc…
Maybe not for us, or not even a contender but he needs to be up playing somewhere imo.
He’s never going to be a 1 PP guy or elite shutdown defender… but he’s got nhl speed/size/ puck skills etc
You can tell he’s got the goods, just there is inconsistency on a game to game basis it feels.
I think playing on someone’s 3rd pair with a solid vet, keeping his game simple is crucial for him very soon…
If I were him, I’d prob quietly ask to be traded.
He hasn’t looked as good this year opposed to last season in the games I watched… I feel he may be getting stagnant/complacent with no light at the end of the tunnel here if he believes that.

Scanlin is another big boy and interesting as well. I agree with def getting them some time in the nhl in the upcoming season
Robertson taking that next step would absolutely transform the complexion of our D core. A few seasons ago, Robby and Schneids had the same forecast, basically L-R dopplegangers. Standout seasons in the W, and solid yet simple AHL rookie seasons. I'm not out here saying it's "likely" comes up next season and delivers a Schneider-like season, but oh boy, anywhere remotely close to that would be a HUGE boon for our present and future.

Jones has been a good soldier, and next season he should be rewarded with 40+ games as opposed to the 20+ this season. And it's only getting that high this season because of injuries. There's definitely a 3LD / PP2 role in the NHL for him. It would be nice if it was with us. Robertson should take a look at how Jones has conducted himself. THAT should be his light at the end of the tunnel.

If Lavi has no faith in Jones, Rob, or Scans next season, then Fortescue becomes one of the most important prospects in our system. Those kids age out and don't stick, we've got like nothing left. Unfortunately, that's why I'm okay with the underwhelming "status quo" move, keeping everyone except Gus, and platooning "two Jonses."

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I said it a while ago when the Hanifin rumors started going around... I want to see how these playoffs go for Gustafsson. He could be an asset in the top 4. He's not a small guy either, he can handle the physicality. They're just not willing to reduce Lindgren's usage. His durability is effecting his game every year, it's a pattern now.

Give Lindgren the edge in physicality. Defensively? You could argue for either one I think. Transition, mobility, offense, it's not even remotely close. The real question with Gus is whether he can handle a bigger role against better players... he played really well in that short stint where he got more usage. Enough so that I think it warrants a bigger opportunity

Reactions: CLW

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I suspect we are closer to the same pg even if not 111% so.
For sure. We're just discussing the devils in the details.

I don't think you've ever been rude to anyone on here, but you've dealt with more than your share of rudeness. I might be playful and jokey at times, but I'll always engage in good faith (well, usually, I'm pot nerfect).

There is no Jones hate, just find Fox does most of the puck moving, granted still need that for another 35-ish mins a nite besides AF, but another puck mover is a luxury if he does not make signif contrib to actual defense.
Puck carrying and distribution are both sort of a weakness for us. That's why Gus fits in so well, despite some warts. So yeah, agreed that we need to address the "other 35 minutes a night," but I would argue it's more of a need than it is a luxury.

I think Jones' ceiling (whether he reaches it or not, and whether here or elsewhere) includes a more consistent, reliable, responsible D side than Gus, and brings something similar that our core lacks.

Lindy has gotta go. Not too long ago, he garnered a late 1st. He is falling apart. Get something now -> than his limited + decreasing current production.
Lindy is obviously one of the players that needs to get their stuff together. Maybe Mika March has officially started? Trouba HAS TO come back with some fresh legs. Thankfully, Igor snapped out of it after the ASG.

My whole point on Lindy is that if he's starting to actually be cooked while at the end of his RFA eligibility, it's so much worse than the Girardi situation. If he just stays his normal, even if frustrating, "20-point pace guy that never actually breaks that mark due to injuries here and there, but still rocks a huge plus next to Fox," then that will allow the room to bring along some youth lower in the lineup. If that youth clicks, then Lindy can be a 3LD for a bit and they slot up.

That's why I balk at the Girardi comparisons (not you specifically, just in general). It's either "way different," or "much worse." We can plan for him to walk at 30/31 instead of signing him to a 5-year overpay at that age. Totally different. But if someone wanted to make the argument that his body won't even hold up that long, there's a chance that actually happens. It's a better argument than "Girardi all over again."

So instead of "Lindgren has to go," we can talk about "Lindgren needs to be replaced." That has to come along with a viable top 4 option. Not a kid. Hanifin was an option. I liked the idea of it. But if we don't have that solution, we have to explore what keeping him could/would look like.

I don'thave a prob w/Scanlin getting mins
Robertson should have already had a cup o coffee LAST YR and been here NOW

Happy to see we are in agreement about going younger if possible, and working to make that happen.

I want righty RDs Helleson from ANA, Barron from MON, and the floor is open on younger lefties to add
I dunno about last season, but Robertson totally should have gotten his cup of coffee by now. Next season should be VERY interesting for our 3LD options.

I'm with you on "youth" as a concept, so the question is timing. With Miller plus Lindgren (or his replacement), we can really put Jones, Robertson, Scanlin through the crucible to see who gains coach's trust. We can't really add a young lefty until after the next phase of development. If any of those 3 stick, we don't need one as much. If 2 stick, we don't need one at all.

Unless we have a taker for Trouba in the off-season, it's too soon to talk about a young RD. If there was a 3-way deal that sent Trouba somewhere and brought us back Barron+, I'd be all about it. Schneider has proven enough to me to be a barely top 4 guy already, with so much more ceiling possible.

I have a feeling that Trouba is going to stick around for better or worse, but we at least have a complete right side that's not old whatsoever. Instead of targeting 21/22 RD, I'd be looking at 19/20 RD that we should be looking to add in two years. Random name: Noah Warren. Someone that we can put on a timeline to replace Schneider replacing Trouba at the end of his contract. If we're lucky, it's Mancini. Longshot, though.

Reactions: bernmeister

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I said it a while ago when the Hanifin rumors started going around... I want to see how these playoffs go for Gustafsson. He could be an asset in the top 4. He's not a small guy either, he can handle the physicality. They're just not willing to reduce Lindgren's usage. His durability is effecting his game every year, it's a pattern now.

Give Lindgren the edge in physicality. Defensively? You could argue for either one I think. Transition, mobility, offense, it's not even remotely close. The real question with Gus is whether he can handle a bigger role against better players... he played really well in that short stint where he got more usage. Enough so that I think it warrants a bigger opportunity

I think that in an ideal world, Gustafsson is a teams #5. He can slide up as needed which is valuable and he moves the puck well but I’m not sure he’s a top-4 guy every night. I’m still comfortable with a 3 year deal around $2.5-3m per season for him.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I don’t think the team wants to trade Trouba. So I assume he’s staying.

Lindgren’s rights shopped for a mid to late 1st. Then parlay that 1st (or our 1st) for a younger puck moving D.

Put Jones on the 3rd pair with Trouba. Let Gustafsson walk.

I think that in an ideal world, Gustafsson is a teams #5. He can slide up as needed which is valuable and he moves the puck well but I’m not sure he’s a top-4 guy every night. I’m still comfortable with a 3 year deal around $2.5-3m per season for him.
He will get $4-5M AAV on the open market.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I don’t think the team wants to trade Trouba. So I assume he’s staying.

Lindgren’s rights shopped for a mid to late 1st. Then parlay that 1st (or our 1st) for a younger puck moving D.

Put Jones on the 3rd pair with Trouba. Let Gustafsson walk.

He will get $4-5M AAV on the open market.
I agree, that's more likely. Detroit gave Gostisbehere ~4 Mil for this season. Pretty close comparable. People might forget that Laviolette had Gus the season prior on that crappy Washington team. He was playing him 20 minutes a night. Gus was fantastic, one of the few bright spots on that team. So it's not like this would be untested waters, he has succeeded in a top 4 role.

The sort of player people want to target is slim pickings. Good teams that have them don't want to trade them, most of the crappy teams don't have the player people are looking for. We could find a stopgap that's an upgrade over Lindgren. Long term, draft a good defender or trade for a D prospect, maybe a good UFA becomes available.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I actually don't hate this.

There are other factors, but I don't hate it.

I figure it may be favorable to trying to unload Trouba outright and then replace him with another (potentially bloated) UFA D contract. Fowler for two years, you sort of know what you're getting there, and still fits your current window of contention.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
For sure. We're just discussing the devils in the details.

I don't think you've ever been rude to anyone on here, but you've dealt with more than your share of rudeness. I might be playful and jokey at times, but I'll always engage in good faith (well, usually, I'm pot nerfect).

Puck carrying and distribution are both sort of a weakness for us. That's why Gus fits in so well, despite some warts. So yeah, agreed that we need to address the "other 35 minutes a night," but I would argue it's more of a need than it is a luxury.

I think Jones' ceiling (whether he reaches it or not, and whether here or elsewhere) includes a more consistent, reliable, responsible D side than Gus, and brings something similar that our core lacks.

Lindy is obviously one of the players that needs to get their stuff together. Maybe Mika March has officially started? Trouba HAS TO come back with some fresh legs. Thankfully, Igor snapped out of it after the ASG.

My whole point on Lindy is that if he's starting to actually be cooked while at the end of his RFA eligibility, it's so much worse than the Girardi situation. If he just stays his normal, even if frustrating, "20-point pace guy that never actually breaks that mark due to injuries here and there, but still rocks a huge plus next to Fox," then that will allow the room to bring along some youth lower in the lineup. If that youth clicks, then Lindy can be a 3LD for a bit and they slot up.

That's why I balk at the Girardi comparisons (not you specifically, just in general). It's either "way different," or "much worse." We can plan for him to walk at 30/31 instead of signing him to a 5-year overpay at that age. Totally different. But if someone wanted to make the argument that his body won't even hold up that long, there's a chance that actually happens. It's a better argument than "Girardi all over again."

So instead of "Lindgren has to go," we can talk about "Lindgren needs to be replaced." That has to come along with a viable top 4 option. Not a kid. Hanifin was an option. I liked the idea of it. But if we don't have that solution, we have to explore what keeping him could/would look like.

I dunno about last season, but Robertson totally should have gotten his cup of coffee by now. Next season should be VERY interesting for our 3LD options.

I'm with you on "youth" as a concept, so the question is timing. With Miller plus Lindgren (or his replacement), we can really put Jones, Robertson, Scanlin through the crucible to see who gains coach's trust. We can't really add a young lefty until after the next phase of development. If any of those 3 stick, we don't need one as much. If 2 stick, we don't need one at all.

Unless we have a taker for Trouba in the off-season, it's too soon to talk about a young RD. If there was a 3-way deal that sent Trouba somewhere and brought us back Barron+, I'd be all about it. Schneider has proven enough to me to be a barely top 4 guy already, with so much more ceiling possible.

I have a feeling that Trouba is going to stick around for better or worse, but we at least have a complete right side that's not old whatsoever. Instead of targeting 21/22 RD, I'd be looking at 19/20 RD that we should be looking to add in two years. Random name: Noah Warren. Someone that we can put on a timeline to replace Schneider replacing Trouba at the end of his contract. If we're lucky, it's Mancini. Longshot, though.
thank you for the effort of a comprehensive response
it deserves same
pls excuse coupla days, not that much time til w'e

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ive seen Wennberg play 2 games and I'm ready to extend him. He's the play driver that 3rd line needed and he's got the versatility to move up and down and right to left in the lineup. Doesn't hurt that he called coming here a dream come true.

Roslovic has been a good fit but still need to see more, he has certainly given Mika and Kreider some space on that line though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad