Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If we look at some UFA d-men who the Rangers SHOULD have interest in, assuming Lindgren and Trouba are traded and what AFP has for their contract projections:

Matt Roy
4 years @ ~$5.6m

Sean Walker
4 years @ $4.9m

Brenden Dillon
2 years $ $3.9m

Dylan Demelo
4 years @ $5.1m

Erik Gustafsson
3 years @ $5m

Brett Pesce
6 years @ $6.7m

Justin Schultz
2 years @ ~$3.8m

OEL
3 years @ $3.7m

They project Lindgren to get 5 years @ $4.75m per season

If we look at the overall Net and assume Trouba and Lindgren are traded, with Lindgren set to make $4.75m, that's $12.75m out and available for 3 spots.

_______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
_______-________

Jones could take one of those spots. If you look at someone like Matt Roy, he played 23 NHL games at 23 (same age as Jones) and then his first full NHL season was at 24. Jones will be 24 next year. If Gustafsson is really looking for $5m per season, then Jones is the guy on that 3rd pairing to start the year.

_______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-_________

If it were my call, I'm looking at Dillon, short term, to play with Fox, backup plan would be OEL.

In terms of the RD, if I could make it work, I'm looking at Pesce, Demelo or Roy. Ideally keeping the contracts in the $5's for Pesce or high $4's for Demelo or Roy.

I'd also prioritize a good, veteran, #7 d-man.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If we look at some UFA d-men who the Rangers SHOULD have interest in, assuming Lindgren and Trouba are traded and what AFP has for their contract projections:

Matt Roy
4 years @ ~$5.6m

Sean Walker
4 years @ $4.9m

Brenden Dillon
2 years $ $3.9m

Dylan Demelo
4 years @ $5.1m

Erik Gustafsson
3 years @ $5m

Brett Pesce
6 years @ $6.7m

Justin Schultz
2 years @ ~$3.8m

OEL
3 years @ $3.7m

They project Lindgren to get 5 years @ $4.75m per season

If we look at the overall Net and assume Trouba and Lindgren are traded, with Lindgren set to make $4.75m, that's $12.75m out and available for 3 spots.

_______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
_______-________

Jones could take one of those spots. If you look at someone like Matt Roy, he played 23 NHL games at 23 (same age as Jones) and then his first full NHL season was at 24. Jones will be 24 next year. If Gustafsson is really looking for $5m per season, then Jones is the guy on that 3rd pairing to start the year.

_______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-_________

If it were my call, I'm looking at Dillon, short term, to play with Fox, backup plan would be OEL.

In terms of the RD, if I could make it work, I'm looking at Pesce, Demelo or Roy. Ideally keeping the contracts in the $5's for Pesce or high $4's for Demelo or Roy.

I'd also prioritize a good, veteran, #7 d-man.
Some of these projections are batshit crazy

effen

Feb 3, 2018
This is the type of posts that damage your reputation and no amount “I told you so” on Rempe will fix it (because Vesey is not taking any youngster spot on the roster and his contribution especially relative to his cap cost makes it worth more to a SC contender than any 2nd or whatever round pick you’re dreaming of returning).
the worst part is 'selling high' on Vesey is to use him to upgrade a 4th to a 2nd (???) so 5 years from now that guy can have a 30% chance of playing an NHL game (?!?!??!?!)

Reactions: Kendo

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Some of these projections are batshit crazy

I agree with you. As I was typing them out, I was like, no way in hell...

the worst part is 'selling high' on Vesey is to use him to upgrade a 4th to a 2nd (???) so 5 years from now that guy can have a 30% chance of playing an NHL game (?!?!??!?!)

What needs to happen is the Rangers need to have Edstrom playing center in Hartford from here on out and see if he can handle that transition. If yes, then:

Rempe-Edstrom-Vesey

That's the teams 4th line

Reactions: Dijock94

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The more I think about it, the more frustrating it is that they couldn’t make a move for Hanifin. He would have fit both well short term and long term. Allowed them to move Lindgren and/or Trouba while stabilizing the D and his extension would not be crazy due to lack of PP points.

I’m sure there is a good chance he just didn’t want to come here.
The fact that there were no rumors connecting us to him tells me we were not on the "yes" list or definitely on the "no" list.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think if they flame out this year that two of Kreider, Zib, Trouba, and Lindgren are gone. Maybe three.

Before someone says Zib has a full NMC, he does, but nobody wants to be somewhere they're not wanted.

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
I think if they flame out this year that two of Kreider, Zib, Trouba, and Lindgren are gone. Maybe three.

Before someone says Zib has a full NMC, he does, but nobody wants to be somewhere they're not wanted.
The relationship between the team/player/fans would have to go quite a bit more toxic before it would get that way. It's nowhere near the level of disdain for Art last year. He has responded in an outstanding fashion, he's silenced his haters for now and I feel like he's more ready for playoff hockey than I've seen him here.

I don't see it. Would take more time for it to get that negative. Even then, I think those situations are few and far between.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I understand where you’re coming from in your assessment but it’s not going to work like that. @BBKers is much closer because Kakko wouldn’t allow to be locked to such a low number over such a long term. He’d sign to 3- or 4- year contract and figure to get his game to the higher level during that time to really cash in afterwards. And at worse he’d get a higher contract via rising cap and being a UFA in his prime.
last sentence. I fully acknowledge the unlikelihood of that scenario. It's really a best case which puts it on the fringe of a distribution curve.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I agree with you. As I was typing them out, I was like, no way in hell...

What needs to happen is the Rangers need to have Edstrom playing center in Hartford from here on out and see if he can handle that transition. If yes, then:

Rempe-Edstrom-Vesey

That's the teams 4th line
I agree we should see about Eds as a pivot whether 4th line or higher
but I do not agree it should be at Hartf.
No reason that can't be done now, here.
NO REASON

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

That is a preference, he still holds da cards.

Kreid stays
Troub + Lind have to go.

Small chance if there is a shakeup move like Shesty, and bread decides not to wait for the last min cause he is not getting anything remotely 11+ from us, if an offer at all, then zib might say, Toronto, I can live with toronto

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

Kreider is going nowhere -- At this stage, I think he'll finish his career as a Ranger. Zib has no reason not to be here (unfortunately) and I think the only thing to get him to waive at this juncture is Kreider being traded.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
its so funny how it's become unanimous that trading for kane last year was a bad decision. this place was so pumped when it happened last year. it's like the iraq war of rangers trades.
I think we were pumped because Drury didn't drastically overpay, less because we got Kane. Although, I could be misremembering.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Dolan wants a splash at The Sphere. The Rangers need a top line RW and a LHD. The Rangers D group is barren outside of Jones and Robertson. Their futures in the organization aren’t secure. I would be open to trading the Rangers first round pick in a deal which lands a RW or a D.
I would definitely be opening to moving a package of Othmann and Robertson for either a top 16 pick or a controlled contract player that fills a need.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I think we were pumped because Drury didn't drastically overpay, less because we got Kane. Although, I could be misremembering.
At the risk of re-opening the Kane debate from last year; I was against trading for Kane, regardless of the cost. Was hurt all season; had a hot streak right before the trade.. Everyone knew he'd need hip surgery in the summer. Wasn't the type of forward they needed at the time.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It continues to amuse me that Kreider just casually gets thrown onto the list of overpriced flameouts.

He's in the midst of the best all-around offensive season of his career.
he's gets dragged down because of Zibs

I'd love to see them split up but it's just not happening

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
he's gets dragged down because of Zibs

I'd love to see them split up but it's just not happening
And who exactly are we playing kreider with?
Because Wennberg isn't gonna be a massive upgrade offensively over the zib we're getting...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I mostly agree with you. I was just saying that I would take back Skjei if it was a sweetheart deal. Not that it was a realistic contract for him.

I've said the whole time that $4.5m x 4 or 5 is most likely for Lindy, and even did the Simpsons meme of "Don't make me tap the sign" saying that he's the age of Girardi's $3.5 x 3 contract, not the crazy 30-35 age contract. It's a pet peeve when people say "Girardi mistake all over again." The 4-5 years difference in age is like the entirety of one's prime.

He's still an RFA, and I don't see a universe where an arbitrator awards him $5m. Given his lack of offense, it's an unreasonable ask, imo.

Again, I mostly agree, just the $5+ talk that I don't. The $4.75 number someone else posted is pretty likely, but I would rather keep that closer to or under $4.5.

I hear ya. Not singling you out….
There’s just massive whining about Lindgren going on this site, there’s absolutely no good alternatives to replacing him….
I also think overhauling 50% of our D in the offseason isn’t realistic either.
Gus walks
Trouba may be Dealt
The hysterics want Lindgren gone and replace him with what exactly?

Reactions: Kendo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad