Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Forsling is off the board, Hanifin seems unlikely now. If we're going with FAs my dark horse pick would actually be our old pal Brady Skjei. Carolina is fickle, they have no problem letting players walk. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hands him a retirement contract but if he'd take something short term I wouldn't hate swapping out Lindgren for Skjei. I just don't trust Lindgren's durability. Recoup some picks. Whether that means Skjei would be with Fox or bumping up K'Andre, doesn't matter to me. He's solid all around, really added some goal scoring. Gonna finish with over 10 this year and almost 20 last year. Pairing a point-man that can really shoot it with Fox sounds intriguing
If Lindy doesn't want a budget $4m x 2 deal, and Skjei does, it's a no-brainer. We can trade Lindy for "something" and sign Skjei. If Lindy wants $4m x 3 or 4, then that might be a better deal than if Skjei took the same, given age.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Planning that Chytil will be part of the team next year is dumb at this point. Sorry you can't go into the off season with that plan. The way his year ended the odds favor him not playing at all.
I agree. But you’re kind of in a holding pattern because he’s signed…
Unless you know he’s a def no go, they have to be cap compliment

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I expect we’re gonna see Rempe fight MacDermid tomorrow? Should probably go early as that’s much preferable to MacDermid trying to cheap shot him all game or something

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
So third pairing has been carrying this time this year?

Not necessarily carrying, but outperforming the results produced when Lindgren or Trouba are on the ice. Also, those numbers include times when Miller or Fox are playing w/ a non-Trouba/Lindgren partner too

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Forsling is off the board, Hanifin seems unlikely now. If we're going with FAs my dark horse pick would actually be our old pal Brady Skjei. Carolina is fickle, they have no problem letting players walk. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hands him a retirement contract but if he'd take something short term I wouldn't hate swapping out Lindgren for Skjei. I just don't trust Lindgren's durability. Recoup some picks. Whether that means Skjei would be with Fox or bumping up K'Andre, doesn't matter to me. He's solid all around, really added some goal scoring. Gonna finish with over 10 this year and almost 20 last year. Pairing a point-man that can really shoot it with Fox sounds intriguing
This crop of UFA defenseman sucks. Drury is going to have to get creative to both unload Trouba and Lindgren and improve the corps overall.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If Lindy doesn't want a budget $4m x 2 deal, and Skjei does, it's a no-brainer. We can trade Lindy for "something" and sign Skjei. If Lindy wants $4m x 3 or 4, then that might be a better deal than if Skjei took the same, given age.
false choice to limit to only these 2
yeah sure Skjei over Lindy at this pt
but better option is to develop youth [Scanlin etc]

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
false choice to limit to only these 2
yeah sure Skjei over Lindy at this pt
but better option is to develop youth [Scanlin etc]
Positing a hypothetical is not a "false choice."

The "best option" is to develop someone on the 3rd pair that can replace a senior player in a few seasons. Take Schneider, for example.

We can't put Jones, Robertson, or Scanlin in a top 4 role and expect results. I would have loved to keep Emberson, but he's performing as expected (pretty poorly) when thrust in over his head. He'd be our 4th best RD, even if we rightfully whine about Trouba regularly.

We can afford to platoon Jones and Robertson next year, as long as we have a bona fide LD just above or below Miller. Lindgren, Skjei, and if we were lucky Hanifin, would all tick that box. Scanlin does not.

If we were a bottom feeder, or tank artist, I would agree with you. Same as your take on trading Vesey.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Afraid we got us a Mike Sauer Deja vu situation.
Kakko’s fate is a bit ironic
If he excels and Rangers go far this spring they will keep him to a 4,5 x 4 M contract (or something like that).
If not…bye bye. Poison pill scenario - but it is what it is.
The situation on D is more complicated and the postseason play is likely the determining x factor
I think personally - pending a miracle - that Goodrow will be bought out

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If he excels and Rangers go far this spring they will keep him to a 4,5 x 4 M contract (or something like that).
The situation on D is more complicated and the postseason play is likely the determining x factor
posted in the around the league thread, the best case is that we go far and KK has a decent but not breakthrough POs so we get him signed for number much better than 4.5 and for longer than 4 years if possible but I can't imagine he'd be down to eat UFA years for a small AAV

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I think $4m would be the minimum. That's his salary this year and I don't think he'd be looking for less, plus some GM would likely pay that or above. I also wouldn't be surprised if an arbitrator awarded him around $4.5m if he goes that route.

His QO is $3.6m so i imagine that we'll be offering that, but it'll then be interesting to see whether we are looking to trade his rights; i feel the org likes his play a lot more than this board does :(
You are also buying his prime most of UFA years

It’s just not realistic. He’s making that pretty much now…
And I doubt he takes a 3 year deal either…..
You’re buying some of his prime UFA years …..
Because he’s had a bad year, and because he lives NY/situation etc. plus his play history, age, etc all that into consideration it’s likely he signs 5.5 for 4-5 seasons…
That’s similar to what shesty got, similar to what we signed Skjei to….
Lindgren is a top 4 D on one of the top teams in the league. It’s just the cost of doing business…
If the cap keeps increasing, it won’t be an issue. If need be he should be able to play on any of the 3 pairings and be dropped down if needed….
He’s 25-26 not 30 plus…. That is also a very moveable deal 2-3 years down the line if need be…
Hanifin will sign for 7 or 7+.
There’s no way in hell Lindgren s agent is taking less then 5 for him tbh. Just not realistic…
Too many people don’t factor in the business side of the league etc

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Ryan Lindgren's contract projection from AFPAnalytics is $4.7M-$4.8M AAV. 5 year contract.

They update the numbers every few months.

This draft is loaded with quality D. They say the draft drops off after pick #20.

The Habs traded Alexander Romanov to the Islanders for #13 in the 2022 draft. Romanov was a group II that summer. ELC expired.

Drury needs a young D in the organization.

The Rangers fill the Lindgren hole by making a trade from a team looking to move money. Shorter term deal than 4-5 years for Lindgren. He is one year away from group III. Those guys look to cash in unless they are Gavrikov and they want the short term deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: doming07

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Lindgren is a Minnesota kid. Send him home to the Wild.

What is that team? Are they rebuilding? Would they be more open to trading a vet or a prospect for a solid top four defenseman?

Riley Heidt for Lindgren at the draft? Are the Wild looking to make a splash at the Sphere as well?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

What is that team? Are they rebuilding? Would they be more open to trading a vet or a prospect for a solid top four defenseman?

Riley Heidt for Lindgren at the draft? Are the Wild looking to make a splash at the Sphere as well?
Dolan wants a splash at The Sphere. The Rangers need a top line RW and a LHD. The Rangers D group is barren outside of Jones and Robertson. Their futures in the organization aren’t secure. I would be open to trading the Rangers first round pick in a deal which lands a RW or a D.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I expect we’re gonna see Rempe fight MacDermid tomorrow? Should probably go early as that’s much preferable to MacDermid trying to cheap shot him all game or something
If I'm Rempe, I'd refuse to fight him. That's what they want. Why give it to them? It will just frustrate them more.

posted in the around the league thread, the best case is that we go far and KK has a decent but not breakthrough POs so we get him signed for number much better than 4.5 and for longer than 4 years if possible but I can't imagine he'd be down to eat UFA years for a small AAV
I don't foresee any scenario where Kakko gets 4.5 mil per year on his next contract. He's most likely going to be playing 3rd line minutes with little PP time. Even if he manages to exceed the level he played at last year, his time is running short on the season.

I think the most likely scenario, even if he plays well down the stretch and into the playoffs, is that he gets a 1 year deal. A 3 year deal is possible as well, but anything else isn't happening. In either case, I don't think we're looking at more than 3.5 mil. 3 mil for 1 year or 10 mil for 3 years. That's my prediction. I don't think his play will really sway those number one way or the other.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I would be looking squarely at SJ and Arizona for Lindgren. Both teams will want to improve next year and will want to get a younger veteran who can be around for a bit. Lindgren has the makings of a guy who wears an 'A' for a long time. Both teams have picks.

What about:

Goodrow + Lindgren for Sturm + Picks

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
It’s just not realistic. He’s making that pretty much now…
And I doubt he takes a 3 year deal either…..
You’re buying some of his prime UFA years …..
Because he’s had a bad year, and because he lives NY/situation etc. plus his play history, age, etc all that into consideration it’s likely he signs 5.5 for 4-5 seasons…
That’s similar to what shesty got, similar to what we signed Skjei to….
Lindgren is a top 4 D on one of the top teams in the league. It’s just the cost of doing business…
If the cap keeps increasing, it won’t be an issue. If need be he should be able to play on any of the 3 pairings and be dropped down if needed….
He’s 25-26 not 30 plus…. That is also a very moveable deal 2-3 years down the line if need be…
Hanifin will sign for 7 or 7+.
There’s no way in hell Lindgren s agent is taking less then 5 for him tbh. Just not realistic…
Too many people don’t factor in the business side of the league etc
I mostly agree with you. I was just saying that I would take back Skjei if it was a sweetheart deal. Not that it was a realistic contract for him.

I've said the whole time that $4.5m x 4 or 5 is most likely for Lindy, and even did the Simpsons meme of "Don't make me tap the sign" saying that he's the age of Girardi's $3.5 x 3 contract, not the crazy 30-35 age contract. It's a pet peeve when people say "Girardi mistake all over again." The 4-5 years difference in age is like the entirety of one's prime.

He's still an RFA, and I don't see a universe where an arbitrator awards him $5m. Given his lack of offense, it's an unreasonable ask, imo.

Again, I mostly agree, just the $5+ talk that I don't. The $4.75 number someone else posted is pretty likely, but I would rather keep that closer to or under $4.5.

Reactions: jay from jersey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Positing a hypothetical is not a "false choice."

The "best option" is to develop someone on the 3rd pair that can replace a senior player in a few seasons. Take Schneider, for example.

We can't put Jones, Robertson, or Scanlin in a top 4 role and expect results. I would have loved to keep Emberson, but he's performing as expected (pretty poorly) when thrust in over his head. He'd be our 4th best RD, even if we rightfully whine about Trouba regularly.

We can afford to platoon Jones and Robertson next year, as long as we have a bona fide LD just above or below Miller. Lindgren, Skjei, and if we were lucky Hanifin, would all tick that box. Scanlin does not.

If we were a bottom feeder, or tank artist, I would agree with you. Same as your take on trading Vesey.
bold: disagree as to both the characterization and the conclusion.
while hypothetical to the extent it is something potentially to be done as opposed to being actually done, it is still an option that is held back only b'c decision making, which = an actual, not a potential, choice.

No one said put Scanlin in top 4 now.
Scanlin should compete for bottom pair
He does have to show he can handle it, but no excuse not to give full cup o coffee vs weaker opposition to start.

We need to stop not having good youth-> developing same

Jones is not an answer.
Hanging on to Lindgren now is not long term max productive.

Vesey we should sell high on, Oth + Berard up now

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
KK prob checks his short v. longer term picture.
His $ # is obv important, but so is how he is set up to succeed.

If he has a working line which suggests he will also succeed, he will be partly at least inclined to stay, and consider not a crazy home discount, but a reasonable #.

Key is who is added to him + Cuylle.
Zegras?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Based on what we know of his recovery so far and the nature of his set backs, I would definitely plan on him not being back. IF, by some good fortune he does return, that will be an added bonus. But even under that scenario, I would be overly cautious.
That’s not GAGLine point. It’s about cap management. For simplicity Drury can’t spend to the cap limit excluding Chytil because if Chytil returns - what is he going to do? Tough spot to be in for sure

Last edited:

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
bold: disagree as to both the characterization and the conclusion.
while hypothetical to the extent it is something potentially to be done as opposed to being actually done, it is still an option that is held back only b'c decision making, which = an actual, not a potential, choice.

No one said put Scanlin in top 4 now.
Scanlin should compete for bottom pair
He does have to show he can handle it, but no excuse not to give full cup o coffee vs weaker opposition to start.

We need to stop not having good youth-> developing same

Jones is not an answer.
Hanging on to Lindgren now is not long term max productive.

Vesey we should sell high on, Oth + Berard up now
Bold: word salad.

You said "Skjei over Lindy, but the better option is youth (Scanlin)." We're talking about a top 4 spot here.

We need to stop not having good youth? Laf, KK, Fil (dog willing), Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Miller, Schneider, and Hartford bursting at the seams...are we even watching the same team??? Not to mention Shesty, Fox, and even Lindgren himself just aging out of that range and being on the young side of "vets."

"Develop youth!"
"How about giving Jones a real shot at 3rd pair next year?"
"No, not like that."
LOLOL

Vesey is waaay better suited for the 4th line than Ott or Beebs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad