Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I'm anti trading KK, but if it was Wright plus something, I'd consider it.

Me too (anti trading Kakko). But that’s the type of deal I’d start to investigate.

No not barely. He is a Top 6 forward.

He has 54 points in 62 games in a season where he has struggled. He plays in all situations. I find it amazing how critical some of you are. The guy is making $8.5 per year. It is all fair value.

Fair value is fine, but we need elite 1C and he’s not it.

• Love
Reactions: Kendo and majordomo

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

He has 54 points in 62 games in a season where he has struggled. He plays in all situations. I find it amazing how critical some of you are. The guy is making $8.5 per year. It is all fair value.
And if he had even half the production he should at 5v5 he’d be pushing Panarin for leading the team.

Reactions: majordomo

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That's a questionable comment by them then, no? Kid's been a top-6 staple all year as a 20 year old for a team leading their division. If you wanted to argue about it relative to his draft position, then that's different, but I'd say he's doing just fine given the situation. His exceptional status left him in a weird limbo where he's too good to go back to juniors and doesn't have the lineup spot available in SEA's top-6. Francis said this was their plan for him, and he's happy with how he's doing. He'll likely be an NHL regular full-time next year.

If they're dumb enough to move him, Drury should be all over it.
Hell, I don’t know. I watched Wright play in the AHL playoffs last year and I was very unimpressed. Lias Andersson was top 6 in the AHL (still is) but that ultimately means nothing. I’m sure the comment was very much in relation to his draft position.

Reactions: egelband

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

I stick by my belief. That contract is BAD!!!

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Question: Who does Roslovic remind you all of? He kinda has that high skilled player who is never quite as effective as you'll think he'll be vibe. But I can't place who he reminds me of exactly. Less dynamic Zherdev? Less effective Nylander? Less explosive Dvorak? I dunno, but he remind me of a past Ranger and I can't put my finger on it.

I was thinking Zherdev last night. He was a kid in Columbus during Z’s career. Maybe he inspired him

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I stick by my belief. That contract is BAD!!!

It probably will be bad. It's not bad right now.

But unless Trocheck ages like fine wine, his will be bad eventually too. NYR aren't likely to have either on the payroll (Or if they are, we won't be a cup competing team) in 5 years or so.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Based on what we know of his recovery so far and the nature of his set backs, I would definitely plan on him not being back. IF, by some good fortune he does return, that will be an added bonus. But even under that scenario, I would be overly cautious.
The problem is the cap. If we use LTIR to start the season, and then Chytil comes back mid-season, we're going to have to find a way to shed cap to activate him. If we know he won't play next season, we can use that cap space, but we're going to be making those decisions in July. We may not have a good idea of Chytil's future by then.

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

1.4 p/60 at 5v5 in the 2nd year of an 8.5 million dollar cap hit contract. Nobody is being overly critical. That’s straight up awful and especially worrying in the context of his historically trash play driving impacts. Im pretty confident the power play is better with Lafreniere on it than him too, so really they’re not getting any value whatsoever.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Finding a LD to play with Fox won’t be THAT hard. Let’s assume for a minute that Gustafsson is re-signed, as he should be and he really should want to. He fits.

______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Gustafsson-_______

You’re looking for a guy who can come in and play 15-17 ES minutes and some PK. PP is off the table with Fox and Gustafsson playing.

It would be beneficial if the two guys were 6’ or bigger, just because Fox and Gustafsson aren’t big guys.

Brendan Dillon would be a good choice. Short term deals. He’s a physical guy and defensively he’s pretty solid. He’d fit with the personality of the team with Trochek, Rempe, Cuylle, Edstrom, Schneider. I think it’s clear Drury is building that type of team.

Dylan Demelo is a really good option. Underlying stats are good. He plays both RD and LD regularly so he’s a guy who can slide over in case of an injury. He skates well and he can move the puck effectively.

These guys are probably looking at 2-3 year deals at $3-4m each or a bit less. That’s reasonable for what they bring.

The wild card here is Matt Roy. He’s a smooth skating, American d-man. I would imagine that due to his age he’s looking for a 4-5 year deal but he’d be a really nice fit on RD too.
If you’re going to sign Brendan Dillon to play with Fox, just keep Lindgren

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The playoffs will determine the future of several players…

Trouba
Lindgren
Schneider
Kakko
Goodrow

The longer the Rangers play the better chance for all of these guys to stay
Kakko is gonna get another 2 year deal, somewhat around where he is now. Maybe a move for Zegras?? otherwise I see no point in moving him.

Schneider is the future top4 RHD. Don't know why you've listed him

Trouba, Lindgren and Goodrow.... That's 3 of our worst players... Making $15M. The amount they drain the teams success can never be understated

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
The problem is the cap. If we use LTIR to start the season, and then Chytil comes back mid-season, we're going to have to find a way to shed cap to activate him. If we know he won't play next season, we can use that cap space, but we're going to be making those decisions in July. We may not have a good idea of Chytil's future by then.
IMO even if he does come back he is one hit away from retirement. Its a scary situation.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

54 in 62 is horrendous considering his usage and the players he plays with. He’s been garbage and is getting worse the longer the season goes.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko is gonna get another 2 year deal, somewhat around where he is now. Maybe a move for Zegras?? otherwise I see no point in moving him.

Trouba, Lindgren and Goodrow.... That's 3 of our worst players... Making $15M. The amount they drain the teams success can never be understated

Zegras is not a 3C, based on style he's a top 2 C... which begs the question what's the point in trading for him with Zib and Trocheck on longterm deals? Maybe drop Tro to 3C but then Panarin - Zegras - Laf is going to bleed goals against...

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Finding a LD to play with Fox won’t be THAT hard. Let’s assume for a minute that Gustafsson is re-signed, as he should be and he really should want to. He fits.

______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Gustafsson-_______

You’re looking for a guy who can come in and play 15-17 ES minutes and some PK. PP is off the table with Fox and Gustafsson playing.

It would be beneficial if the two guys were 6’ or bigger, just because Fox and Gustafsson aren’t big guys.

Brendan Dillon would be a good choice. Short term deals. He’s a physical guy and defensively he’s pretty solid. He’d fit with the personality of the team with Trochek, Rempe, Cuylle, Edstrom, Schneider. I think it’s clear Drury is building that type of team.

Dylan Demelo is a really good option. Underlying stats are good. He plays both RD and LD regularly so he’s a guy who can slide over in case of an injury. He skates well and he can move the puck effectively.

These guys are probably looking at 2-3 year deals at $3-4m each or a bit less. That’s reasonable for what they bring.

The wild card here is Matt Roy. He’s a smooth skating, American d-man. I would imagine that due to his age he’s looking for a 4-5 year deal but he’d be a really nice fit on RD too.
Forsling is off the board, Hanifin seems unlikely now. If we're going with FAs my dark horse pick would actually be our old pal Brady Skjei. Carolina is fickle, they have no problem letting players walk. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hands him a retirement contract but if he'd take something short term I wouldn't hate swapping out Lindgren for Skjei. I just don't trust Lindgren's durability. Recoup some picks. Whether that means Skjei would be with Fox or bumping up K'Andre, doesn't matter to me. He's solid all around, really added some goal scoring. Gonna finish with over 10 this year and almost 20 last year. Pairing a point-man that can really shoot it with Fox sounds intriguing

Reactions: Kendo

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

I disagree with the sentiment that Trouba is such a weight on this team. This hasn’t been his best season but he is the Captain. He is a proven top four defenseman. You run the risk that comes with moving your Captain. If Trouba has a bad playoff run and the team implodes, he is fair game. I’m not 100% sold on Schneider moving into the top four. I like the player. I want to see more of him under matchup pressure.

A two year contract takes Kakko to UFA. Not happening. He either gets a year, a longer deal (e.g. Chytil) or he is moved this summer. He will have to earn the longer deal. Right now, I’m not signing up for anything more than a year. I think the best move for him personally is a change of scenery. Again, show me how he does in the playoffs.

There are a lot of variables in play. Let’s see what happens in May and how things look then.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
It probably will be bad. It's not bad right now.

But unless Trocheck ages like fine wine, his will be bad eventually too. NYR aren't likely to have either on the payroll (Or if they are, we won't be a cup competing team) in 5 years or so.
Mika should get better and then inevitably worse. Tro should hang for a bit at a bargain and then get worse. Fil is the big question mark. If Chytil is fine in 3 years, then it's a non-issue. We just need a C better than BMB for the future, or for BMB to be a little better than expected.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Question: Who does Roslovic remind you all of? He kinda has that high skilled player who is never quite as effective as you'll think he'll be vibe. But I can't place who he reminds me of exactly. Less dynamic Zherdev? Less effective Nylander? Less explosive Dvorak? I dunno, but he remind me of a past Ranger and I can't put my finger on it.
Todd Harvey? I thought of Dvorak a little too.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Hell, I don’t know. I watched Wright play in the AHL playoffs last year and I was very unimpressed. Lias Andersson was top 6 in the AHL (still is) but that ultimately means nothing. I’m sure the comment was very much in relation to his draft position.
we want t to keep/add to KK
fine to investigate what Wright costs as a reclamation project, but not at cost of KK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad