Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Wright has 35 points in 48 games. Othmann has 38 points in 49 games.

Othmann was drafted a year before Wright. In fact, Wright was born exactly 1 year after Othmann.

Wright was drafted the same year as Sykora, who has 19 points in 49 games.

Yeah, I know that Wright was a 4th overall pick. That doesn't make him a bust.
My comments were based on a conversation with an Arizona Coyotes scout.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Rangers sign Spicy Pork 1 year extension

Pleasantly surprised about this. I said it when Quick re-signed that I guess if Louis acknowledges that he is a 3rd string goalie and doesn't see a backup spot in the NHL next season, then he's best off picking his AHL home with an organization that he trusts. Having a great locker room in Hartford, working with Benny, and knowing we're a solid playoff team this and next season, means he is one injury away from being a playoff backup. That's not nothing. I wanted him to stay, but thought he might shop himself around and either vie for a backup job on a shit team, or chase a low/no tax contract instead.

Great move. It shows that he's happy here.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I forgot to add $400,000 in performance bonuses. $300,000 for Wheeler. $100,000 for Quick. Those bonuses will roll over into the 24-25 cap unless the Rangers have some space left over. LTIR money can't be used for bonuses.

LeBrun is reporting the Rangers were not a serious suitor for Guentzel.

All of the reports were BS.
I’ve been following LeBrun for years and he adds almost nothing of value to the conversation.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It's hard to know if this BS damage control for Othmann and Kakko or if the leaks were all BS. Probably the truth lies somewhere in the middle

Lebrun has no reason to do damage control for us.

More likely than not, Pittsburgh was probably putting shit out there to try to make Carolina pony up. That’s what it felt like to me the entire time anyway.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
My comments were based on a conversation with an Arizona Coyotes scout.
That's a questionable comment by them then, no? Kid's been a top-6 staple all year as a 20 year old for a team leading their division. If you wanted to argue about it relative to his draft position, then that's different, but I'd say he's doing just fine given the situation. His exceptional status left him in a weird limbo where he's too good to go back to juniors and doesn't have the lineup spot available in SEA's top-6. Francis said this was their plan for him, and he's happy with how he's doing. He'll likely be an NHL regular full-time next year.

If they're dumb enough to move him, Drury should be all over it.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Pleasantly surprised about this. I said it when Quick re-signed that I guess if Louis acknowledges that he is a 3rd string goalie and doesn't see a backup spot in the NHL next season, then he's best off picking his AHL home with an organization that he trusts. Having a great locker room in Hartford, working with Benny, and knowing we're a solid playoff team this and next season, means he is one injury away from being a playoff backup. That's not nothing. I wanted him to stay, but thought he might shop himself around and either vie for a backup job on a shit team, or chase a low/no tax contract instead.

Great move. It shows that he's happy here.

Well, he guaranteed himself a one-way deal at 775k. He doesn't pay into NHL escrow if he's in the minors, so he actually makes more money if he's in the AHL rather than the NHL as dumb as that sounds. Plus he will have to clear waivers in training camp so there's always the possibility that he'll get an NHL shot with another team. Win-win for him and his family IMO.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Question: Who does Roslovic remind you all of? He kinda has that high skilled player who is never quite as effective as you'll think he'll be vibe. But I can't place who he reminds me of exactly. Less dynamic Zherdev? Less effective Nylander? Less explosive Dvorak? I dunno, but he remind me of a past Ranger and I can't put my finger on it.
I look at Nylander as the opposite, tbh. He was fairly skilled, but vastly more effective than anticipated based on vibes alone. His departure was weird af. There was blame thrown on him, his wife, his agent, Sather, Renney, Edmonton (I think?)...and that led into Drury plus Gomez that offseason.

This is an odd take, but Roslo reminded me of Avery in the odd game that he had pep in his step BUT kept the nonsense to a minimum. Even if he looked NOTHING like your average Avery game.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Well, he guaranteed himself a one-way deal at 775k. He doesn't pay into NHL escrow if he's in the minors, so he actually makes more money if he's in the AHL rather than the NHL as dumb as that sounds. Plus he will have to clear waivers in training camp so there's always the possibility that he'll get an NHL shot with another team. Win-win for him and his family IMO.
I didn't consider that, great point!

Yeah, he could end up getting claimed and being an NHL backup regardless. But if he plays in the A, then it shows he'd rather play in Hartford. Seems like there's a great locker room over there. And of course, a better chance that his family gets to stay put another season so I guess the fam likes the area.

Reactions: egelband

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Why would you sell a vet like Vesey who is a solid 3rd/4th liner, making 800k, and has 13 ES goals? Makes zero sense.
Makes 100% sense for a team tanking. The low AAV plus another season is a nice value add for a trade partner.

But of course, makes no sense for US. Vesey and Brodz both the provide cheap, effective depth that makes a Goodrow buyout or trade with $1m retention palatable.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Makes 100% sense for a team tanking. The low AAV plus another season is a nice value add for a trade partner.

But of course, makes no sense for US. Vesey and Brodz both the provide cheap, effective depth that makes a Goodrow buyout or trade with $1m retention palatable.
Yes. It makes no sense for the Rangers. I don't care if it would make sense for another team.

Reactions: Kendo

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

The Sharks owner didn't want the team to be bad before they can be good again.

Goodrow's leadership could be a good fit in San Jose.

Grier has a ton of cap space.
It makes sense for veteran leadership. Can prob put an A on him…
He was also very well liked when he was there…. Fans I think wouldn’t be too upset with a reunion.
Trouba is going to be an interesting one….
He’s the current captain….can Schneider fill his role going forward???
The RD situation is also very iffy….
They may use Kakko for a young cost controlled RD or Draft pick as trade bait???
If they are committed to trying Jones, I’d expect a cheaper UFA to be brought in….
Roy would be an ideal partner tbh…. He’s rock steady, but I don’t know what his next deal is going to look like…..
I like mancinni, big, can skate, move the puck but he is a ways off still…….
If moving Trouba is really on the menu, RD will still have to have some sort of add if he’s dealt……

If Lindgren gets 5-5.5mill for 4-5 years I’m pretty sure he’s staying.
He’s going to have a bit of leeway with the FO because this is his only bad season.
He’s still only 25-26, Fox”s bestie…. He’s a 100% part of that 2nd core…
I think he gets some leeway from the FO and a chance to rebound and get his game back going.
He might have some lingering injury we don’t know about on top of all his normal injuries that’s hurting his play as well, I have no idea…
The plan for a while is to have
Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
As their top four when guys were going to need raises….
Troubas contract was not structured the way it is by accident. There was definitely thought put in to the end of his deal.

They will not have a problem moving him and getting a pretty solid return once his NMC turns into the MNTC this offseason or next… he’s not 35-36 years old.
I think teams rather have him for 2 years as opposed to 1, so maximizing the return would probably mean dealing him this offseason. Next season I’m pretty confident saying
Gus-Gone
Goodrow-Gone
Trouba-50/50 gone
Kakko-50/50 gone

Zibby-here def for a while
Kreider-here def for a while

Ginger ale skull Fil will hopefully return, but of course the question is not if he’ll play well, but will the 1st nothing hit knock him out again causing the rangers to bleed more assets to go get yet another 3rd line center???

What would do to start the year next season.. ( keep Kakko on a 2 year show me deal) get him on the PK and give him and Cuylle time with zibby .

Panarin-Trocheck-Laffy
Cuylle-Zibby-Kakko
Kreider-Chytil-Berard/Othmann
Rempe-Edstrom-Vesey
Extras brod/ cheaper UFA vet

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-UFA/trade

Shesty
Quick

Kreider and chytil have played well together in the past. This gives rangers 3 lines that can score and attack the net.
Hopefully Kakko/Cuylle rub off on zibby the way laffy/tro rubbed off on Panarin

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Goodrow and Lindgren good chance. How are we getting rid of Trouba? The coaches love him. He's the captain.
Getting rid of Trouba is far easier then Lindgren ( to the team)
Schneider would be a cheaper in house replacement…
You move Lindgren, you immediately have to sign/trade for a top 4 physical minute eating LD….
It’s very odd tbh…
Kakko has a bad season at age 24…. No one wants him gone

Lindgren has a bad season at age 25 and his prior body of work doesn’t matter and everyone wants to ship him out to replace him with what exactly??

Reactions: bl02

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Getting rid of Trouba is far easier then Lindgren ( to the team)
Schneider would be a cheaper in house replacement…
You move Lindgren, you immediately have to sign/trade for a top 4 physical minute eating LD….
It’s very odd tbh…
Kakko has a bad season at age 24…. No one wants him gone

Lindgren has a bad season at age 25 and his prior body of work doesn’t matter and everyone wants to ship him out to replace him with what exactly??

Finding a LD to play with Fox won’t be THAT hard. Let’s assume for a minute that Gustafsson is re-signed, as he should be and he really should want to. He fits.

______-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Gustafsson-_______

You’re looking for a guy who can come in and play 15-17 ES minutes and some PK. PP is off the table with Fox and Gustafsson playing.

It would be beneficial if the two guys were 6’ or bigger, just because Fox and Gustafsson aren’t big guys.

Brendan Dillon would be a good choice. Short term deals. He’s a physical guy and defensively he’s pretty solid. He’d fit with the personality of the team with Trochek, Rempe, Cuylle, Edstrom, Schneider. I think it’s clear Drury is building that type of team.

Dylan Demelo is a really good option. Underlying stats are good. He plays both RD and LD regularly so he’s a guy who can slide over in case of an injury. He skates well and he can move the puck effectively.

These guys are probably looking at 2-3 year deals at $3-4m each or a bit less. That’s reasonable for what they bring.

The wild card here is Matt Roy. He’s a smooth skating, American d-man. I would imagine that due to his age he’s looking for a 4-5 year deal but he’d be a really nice fit on RD too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad