Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I really like the physical play Trouba brings. He lights up the Devils. OTOH, Schneider is ready for a bigger role.

So Roslovic was the Rangers 10th choice? Pacioretty didn't want to leave Washington. SJ couldn't retain on Barabanov. Drury couldn't get Vatrano. There were probably other players.

Hopefully, Drury can dump Goodrow's contract on his buddy Mike Grier this summer. Frees up $3,641,667. The Rangers would have $16,282,643 with Chytil playing next season. $87,675,000 salary cap. 16 players signed. If Fil can't play anymore, add $4,4375,000. Schneider is a group II with no arbitration rights. Lindgren is a group II with arbitration rights and one year away from group III. Kakko is a group II with arbitration rights and two years away from group III.

The Rangers don't really to move Trouba or Kreider for cap reasons. Drury needs to budget for Igor's and Lafreniere's contract extensions in 2025 when the cap will be $92M. Drury could get those deals done this summer. Igor definitely. Why wait? Time will tell.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I really like the physical play Trouba brings. He lights up the Devils. OTOH, Schneider is ready for a bigger role.

So Roslovic was the Rangers 10th choice? Pacioretty didn't want to leave Washington. SJ couldn't retain on Barabanov. Drury couldn't get Vatrano. There were probably other players.

Hopefully, Drury can dump Goodrow's contract on his buddy Mike Grier this summer. Frees up $3,641,667. The Rangers would have $16,282,643 with Chytil playing next season. $87,675,000 salary cap. 16 players signed. If Fil can't play anymore, add $4,4375,000. Schneider is a group II with no arbitration rights. Lindgren is a group II with arbitration rights and one year away from group III. Kakko is a group II with arbitration rights and two years away from group III.

The Rangers don't really to move Trouba or Kreider for cap reasons. Drury needs to budget for Igor's and Lafreniere's contract extensions in 2025 when the cap will be $92M. Drury could get those deals done this summer. Igor definitely. Why wait? Time will tell.
We all know the team has flaws and that success in the playoffs will come down to how the “best players” perform, but Laviolette has to put Trouba on the third pair, especially against faster teams. Miller-Schneider is way more mobile and athletic of a pair. Put Trouba on the third pair with Gus and let Gus jump in the play so Trouba is forced to stay back. Maybe this time off will keep Trouba refreshed and a little faster for the playoffs.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ

I don't know who like 7 or 8 of thr other options were ahead of Roslovic but I'm glad they didn't pay out the one for any of them. I really didn't like the 2nd round pick for Wennberg but it is what it is. However, the trade for Roslovic looks good. Minimal risk on the trade and has the potential to do what Vatrano would have done. The question is what will it cost to resign him this summer?

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I’m not seeing the need to rush Kakko out of town. It will be interesting to see him consistently with a NHL center now with Wennberg. If they do well, I’d hope they can find a way to keep Wennberg.

Lindgren and Trouba should be explored though. Although I’m growing concerned that the market on d-men may dry up quickly. Hanifin and Forsling already gone. Develop, Schultz, Cole, Dillon, Gostisbehere, Gustafson, Dumba, Roy. Perhaps SJ trades Ferraro. I wouldn’t say any of those guys are high end, Roy is probably the only true top-4 guy there. I like Demelo and Dillon as bottom-pairing guys though.
I’m not seeing the need to rush Kakko out of town. It will be interesting to see him consistently with a NHL center now with Wennberg. If they do well, I’d hope they can find a way to keep Wennberg.

Lindgren and Trouba should be explored though. Although I’m growing concerned that the market on d-men may dry up quickly. Hanifin and Forsling already gone. Develop, Schultz, Cole, Dillon, Gostisbehere, Gustafson, Dumba, Roy. Perhaps SJ trades Ferraro. I wouldn’t say any of those guys are high end, Roy is probably the only true top-4 guy there. I like Demelo and Dillon as bottom-pairing guys though.
There isn’t a need to move Kakko, yet. And there is still a lot of evidence that Rangers are better with him than without him. Yes the Rangers have a lot of wing depth, Yes the Rangers may not want to give him a raise, but there’s really no reason to move him until Othmann and Perrault are fixtures and/or Lafreniere gets a raise. If you can move him in a hockey deal for a center or Dman, maybe you think about that but again I don’t think there is an easy value match there.

The Lindgren issue is the most important because there is simply no justification to give him another contract. One thing that I keep thinking about with him is you might want to try to move him to Columbus because of the JD connection; I think they might prefer his RFA control and you can try to move him out for a year of Provorov, and see if t where that goes. Not a ton of moves really make sense though, but if they are moving Lindgren out they probably are going to need a D coming back because the solutions to that problem are not internal. Provorov isn’t perfect (neither is Lindgren though) but he’s got an expiring contract that probably isn’t going to be too useful on a rebuilding Columbus team that has the rest of that Defense more or less locked in. Pettersson in Pittsburgh kind of fits that criteria too. Maybe you can give Minny a pick for like Middleton and/or Merrill if you can’t (or don’t want to) re-sign Gustafsson. I guess there is still Chychrun but I just haven’t seen a lot there and his contract status isn’t going to be as appealing without the extra term

Trouba they just need to put him on the bottom pair and limit his exposure because no one is trading for that. He’s in buyout territory. Unless you want to do something really wacky.

Rangers kept their first, and while I am still skeptical they have that by the time of the draft, if they do that’ll probably be a good time to add a Dman, but the organization depth is so bad there they are going to need more in the offseason. I need be interested in trying to get Shea Theodore out of Vegas too; because they aren’t going to be able to pay him (not that we’d be able to either) but maybe he frees up if they keep Hanifin and we can try him out for a year. But yeah I’m terms of the 2025 FA class that might be available as expiring contracts; that’s pretty much where you’d have to look

Last edited:

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Teams need depth for the playoffs. Waiving Brodz would be a a big mistake as he would get claimed. Edstrom can always be called back up with Rempe going down or if another forward gets hurt. Then once the playoffs start Rangers can have whoever they want up.

Reactions: NYR Viper and Kendo

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

The Sharks owner didn't want the team to be bad before they can be good again.

Goodrow's leadership could be a good fit in San Jose.

Grier has a ton of cap space.
Yup and not just for SJS. Teams that have been in rebuild but can’t breakthrough would be looking at Goodrow at least based on his reputation. Ottawa, Buffalo maybe even Montreal. With cap rising and Rangers retaining $1m should be worth something to replenish draft capital.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

The Sharks owner didn't want the team to be bad before they can be good again.

Goodrow's leadership could be a good fit in San Jose.

Grier has a ton of cap space.

The Rangers will trade Trouba and Goody this summer if they flame out. They will get good value on both with the cap rising. Teams looking to add physicality & leadership to a good not great team will pay for Trouba. Goodrow will be interesting to a rebuilder, even if we haven’t retain a million or so. Fox is the obvious next Captain and Trocheck will get the other A. Would free up a ton of space with a ton of assets for the Rangers to be opportunistic. I know everyone here hates Trouba and Goody but I don’t think the NHL sees it that way.

Reactions: mas0764

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Jake has been called up 3 or 4 times to get 1 game and 9 minutes. Brett's better off doing what he's doing. I want him to make the team out of camp next season, though.

I don't think Drury offered a 1st or Kakko, and he reportedly wouldn't budge on NOT adding Gabe or Othmann.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade Otter for any of those prospects, but that doesn't mean that none of the three will ever have an NHL career. That's crazy talk. That would be like if some random fan of another team said that Berard, Sykora, and Garand are trash and will never make the league.
Let’s put unconfirmed speculation that Dolan refused Drury to trade a first. I think Drury probably also offered some (same?) condition on the first but stood firmly on not adding to the offer anyone currently on the roster or our other top two prospects.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Unless there’s a character and work habits issue Rangers fans should be the last group calling bust on a young prospect.

Kakko for Wright and a pick this summer? Wright played with Othmann. Would be a strong move for Hartford and our C depth

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Rangers sign Spicy Pork 1 year extension

I disagree about waiving Brodz
Eds should be playing
Good should be sitting
should have sold high on Vesey for return that helps us get RD Barron

Vesey does not have much trade value. He is too important to the 4th line as he is the only one scoring on that line can be on any line in case of injuries. I’d resign him to 2 year extension next season.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Pens are screwed. They are one if not the oldest team in the league. Why they re-signed Rakell instead of extending Guentzal is beyond me. Rust I get to an extent.

Trading for Karlsson was a massive mistake. They should have used those assets to build up their farm. Or at the very least look for players coming off their ELC.

They don't have many great expiring deals next season outside of Crosby and Pettersson. Lesser players that are expiring are Eller and Smith

Best thing that can happen is if Crosby asked to be moved to kick start their rebuild. Even in his age 37 season with 1 year left on his contract he'll get a very good return. Can re-sign with the Pens the following summer.

Once Crosby and Malkin are done that team is going to be worse then the Hawks were last season.

I hope the Pens win the lottery and that pick goes to the Sharks.

With smart moves Pens could have still be relevant. Instead for the last few years they’ve been making all the wrong moves and it’s been catching up to them even in those years they were able to just make playoffs. Crosby is the one who has to decide that it’s time to move on for him and the rest of their core. There will be big demand for him, Malkin, Letang, etc to fast forward it.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Roslovic is such a better choice for this team than a Pacioretty or aging name that is a slower skater anyway. That became evident very quickly. When I heard Patches was on his way I was ok with it, but after it faded I really wanted another forward to deepen the lines. When they got Roslovic at the last moment, I probably got more excited than I should have been, but it was really because it sets the lines/depth correctly.

They really need that extra speed dimension, especially on Mikas line. There were several instances where the shift was sustained because Rosy was scooting around like a water bug and disrupting the outs from the St Louis D. Hes also a good rush player which compliments the other two so its a good fit. It also puts Vesey in a 4th line role where his skill stands out and they'll need to roll lines to keep the big guys fresh. It gives Lavy a lot of flexibility.

The 3rd line i really liked. I think they are going to be exactly what we think theyll be. Cuylle and Kakko doing their thing and Wennberg intelligently supporting them. It leads to sustained time in the offense zone, but the three of them are defensively aware and work to get it back. If they can add some consistent secondary scoring than it will be a very effective line you can rely on and create the matchups you want. Could be counted on, but also a sneaky offensive line that if they get hot could be a real difference maker in the playoffs.

Last edited:

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Edstrom was a force last night in the Bridgeport game.
Better he receives all those 5x5, PP and PK minutes there than be spotted up here.
Edstrom is waiver exempt.
Edstrom has a higher salary hit. With Trouba out not a problem. Once Jacob returns to the lineup, a problem.
Come playoff time Edstrom will be back.
Seems like a good hockey move.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Kakko for Wright and a pick this summer? Wright played with Othmann. Would be a strong move for Hartford and our C depth
no. do not trade a young player who has proven he belongs in a regular top 9 role for a guy who may not make the NHL. Kakko goes for a bigger fish or he stays. Personally, i wouldn't trade him for Zegras because as much as I am intrigued by Zegras' skill, i think he's a regular season point producer who plays an incomplete game. Aka No D. I think Kakko is far more primed to be a steady two-way forward who you can rely on who is likely a 25-25 guy in the regular season and a strong playoff contributor. He is going to the net and starting to get those simple, greasy goals and with those quick mitts, that is his game.

What I want to see from Kakko going forward is an expanded role where he gets PK time. I also think this team has lacked the forward depth to have 2 PP units for most of the time Kakko and Laffy have been Rangers. If we had 2 working units, Kakko and Laffy would get more PP time. It's a huge long shot, but if Lavi can give PP2 some more TOI in the last 19 games, it could be a real weapon to have 2 units who can score in the playoffs. Especially if PP1 stalls out.

I thin we greatly undervalue what Kakko brings because the only high skill centers we put him with are not below the goal line players. Put Kakko with a Kopitar, Jeff Carter or a Dustin Brown in their prime and he'd be an absolute monster and you'd rue the day we moved him. Instead, he's been stuck with Strome and Zibanejad. Chytil was the best fit and there was real chemistry there but alas poor Chytil.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Question: Who does Roslovic remind you all of? He kinda has that high skilled player who is never quite as effective as you'll think he'll be vibe. But I can't place who he reminds me of exactly. Less dynamic Zherdev? Less effective Nylander? Less explosive Dvorak? I dunno, but he remind me of a past Ranger and I can't put my finger on it.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Barabanov would've been a great pick up on paper. I know his numbers dont jump off the page this year but he was injured earlier in the season so I don't know if that's still impacting him or not, plus that team is awful. Pretty much a 50 point player last year, 47 in 68 games. Underlying numbers that season compared to our players would've put him as one of our best 5v5 players, which is exactly what we need.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I forgot to add $400,000 in performance bonuses. $300,000 for Wheeler. $100,000 for Quick. Those bonuses will roll over into the 24-25 cap unless the Rangers have some space left over. LTIR money can't be used for bonuses.

Then there were reports of the New York Rangers charging hard Thursday while the Panthers were lurking, though I don’t think they were ever that deep into it, other than making sure they stayed in touch with Pittsburgh in case the market cratered and they could pounce at a reduced rate.

LeBrun is reporting the Rangers were not a serious suitor for Guentzel.

All of the reports were BS.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I forgot to add $400,000 in performance bonuses. $300,000 for Wheeler. $100,000 for Quick. Those bonuses will roll over into the 24-25 cap unless the Rangers have some space left over. LTIR money can't be used for bonuses.

Not shocking they don’t have 3 prospects to throw for a ufa

Louie with Garand again in the AHL is good depth

• Love
Reactions: NYR Viper and Kendo

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

So Vince was BSing?! Shocking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad