Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
San Jose’s youth movement, which started with William Eklund’s introduction as a full-time player this season, is already underway, but it’s going to take a lot of time and there will be a lot of pain to absorb. More losses. Many of them. Grier said owner Hasso Plattner continues to be supportive of this massive rebuild, though he admitted that he and Plattner thought that the 2023-24 season has gone worse than they imagined.

“I think next year is a plan, from my point of view and Hasso’s point of view, to kind of just take a step forward,” Grier said. “We’ve got to add some veterans and things to kind of supplement the young players.” Speaking about those youngsters who are part of their future, he added that they will “bring some excitement, hopefully some energy into the franchise and into the building.

“Hopefully, this summer’s a good summer. Hopefully get a little luck with the lottery. And, hopefully, next year we’re going to see where we can kind of take a step forward after having two years of kind of peeling it back a little bit.”

The Sharks owner didn't want the team to be bad before they can be good again.

Goodrow's leadership could be a good fit in San Jose.

Grier has a ton of cap space.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
I got one issue. Rangers should have sent down Brodzinski for the AHL playoffs so Edstrom fan stay on the roster. I guess Brodzinski is still gonna play 🤮
Not to pick on you, lots of people are saying edstrom should stay up…

Have you looked at his Corsi and Fenwick numbers? They are straight 💩💩💩

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022
Looks like a battle for the 12th F the rest of the year

Berard may get a look still ?
I really can’t believe he hasn’t gotten a look yet, he’s earned it. Must be tough to be lighting up the AHL and the team passes over you to call up Jake L and some buffoon because he’s the size of an NBA power forward

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I am watching Pittsburgh-Boston. Emily Kaplan said Dubas was surprised/frustrated he could not get top prospects/young players for Guentzel. Is Dubas a first time NHL GM? I know this is first time selling off a player but teams don't trade top prospects/young players for rentals. EF reported a few weeks ago on HNIC that Dubas didn't want draft picks for Guentzel.

Did the Rangers even offer what was reported? Dubas didn't even get a #1 pick in the deal with Carolina but somehow the Rangers were offering a #1 pick plus a top young roster(Kakko?)/top prospect(Othmann)for Guentzel but Dubas took the Carolina deal of three prospects/suspects and a conditional second which becomes a first if Carolina wins three playoff rounds.

I wouldn’t trade Othmann straight up for the deal Dufus got from Carolina. Pick #31 or #32 plus three players who will not any type of NHL careers.

Very weird.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I wonder if they trade down with one of the teams that have many second round picks if there isnt someone they love.
I would hope so. Gain back some of the draft capital they've traded away in recent years. You need the cheap ELCs down the road anyway; cap flexibility.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
Reactions: Dijock94

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Hopefully Roslovic impresses here. I'm expecting Drury to unload Goodrow's money this summer, 3.6 mil per. Roslovic should come in somewhere close to that number. He got 2 years at 4 mil per on his current deal. I don't think anyones committing much more than that. He's not perfect but he'd be an ideal piece to hold on to past this season. With Chytil's future in question it'd be huge to have a winger that can play center if needed

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
I was reading Staples article on the deadline yesterday and he called all of the prospects that Pittsburgh got for Guentzel “middling”

Which is shocking cause those guys would easily be some of the best prospects the Rangers had if they were ours lmao

Vince said one of the scouts he talked to rated the prospects Pitts got as better than Berard (but below Othmann)... who is rated highly here by people who watch Hartford. Dubas, who also got a 2nd, basically restocked the Pitts farm system with one single trade.

Last edited:

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I am watching Pittsburgh-Boston. Emily Kaplan said Dubas was surprised/frustrated he could not get top prospects/young players for Guentzel. Is Dubas a first time NHL GM? I know this is first time selling off a player but teams don't trade top prospects/young players for rentals. EF reported a few weeks ago on HNIC that Dubas didn't want draft picks for Guentzel.

Did the Rangers even offer what was reported? Dubas didn't even get a #1 pick in the deal with Carolina but somehow the Rangers were offering a #1 pick plus a top young roster(Kakko?)/top prospect(Othmann)for Guentzel but Dubas took the Carolina deal of three prospects/suspects and a conditional second which becomes a first if Carolina wins three playoff rounds.

I wouldn’t trade Othmann straight up for the deal Dufus got from Carolina. Pick #31 or #32 plus three players who will not any type of NHL careers.

Very weird.
I don't think it's really a question of what the Rangers offered == seems like every TDL we are asking ourselves why we didn't beat certain deals. The question is: what did the other GM ask for? As someone pointed out (in this or another thread), it wouldn't be surprising to find that the other team settled for the next best and/or lesser offer when they realized they couldn't fleece us.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Not to pick on you, lots of people are saying edstrom should stay up…

Have you looked at his Corsi and Fenwick numbers? They are straight 💩💩💩
He's had under 10 games in the NHL. Sample size.
Plus he was mostly playing 4th line w rempe and goodrow... Edstrom looked like he could develop into a 3rd line center. Not today, but sooner than later.

Vince said one of the scouts he talked to rated the prospects Pitts got as better than Berard (but below Othmann)... who is rated highly here by people who watch Hartford. Dubas, who also got a 2nd, basically restocked the Pitts farm system with one single trade.
Dubas got quantity but not real quality. Pitt has no perreault or othmann.
And more importantly, I think crosby in the off season is the real "restock".

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Dubas got quantity but not real quality. Pitt has no perreault or othmann.
And more importantly, I think crosby in the off season is the real "restock".

Sure, but three Berard+ level players + a 2nd is nothing to scoff at if your farm is running on empty. Obviously quality trumps quantity but nobody offered an Othmann or Perreault +.

Also a lesson here is not to expect teams to play a TDL premium if you are a seller, nice if it happens but stupid to bank on it.

Reactions: Kendo

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Interesting, hertl deal may have affected NYR plans

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Reactions: kovazub94

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think there real fear that Wright may be a bust. Not lighting up the AHL.
Wright has 35 points in 48 games. Othmann has 38 points in 49 games.

Othmann was drafted a year before Wright. In fact, Wright was born exactly 1 year after Othmann.

Wright was drafted the same year as Sykora, who has 19 points in 49 games.

Yeah, I know that Wright was a 4th overall pick. That doesn't make him a bust.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019

The Sharks owner didn't want the team to be bad before they can be good again.

Goodrow's leadership could be a good fit in San Jose.

Grier has a ton of cap space.
maybe but you said the owner doesn’t want them to be bad, so Goodrow doesnt really help in that department

I think there real fear that Wright may be a bust. Not lighting up the AHL.
What? He’s 20 years old and playing much better this year. 35 pts in 48 games.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I really can’t believe he hasn’t gotten a look yet, he’s earned it. Must be tough to be lighting up the AHL and the team passes over you to call up Jake L and some buffoon because he’s the size of an NBA power forward
Jake has been called up 3 or 4 times to get 1 game and 9 minutes. Brett's better off doing what he's doing. I want him to make the team out of camp next season, though.

I don't think Drury offered a 1st or Kakko, and he reportedly wouldn't budge on NOT adding Gabe or Othmann.

Yeah, I wouldn't trade Otter for any of those prospects, but that doesn't mean that none of the three will ever have an NHL career. That's crazy talk. That would be like if some random fan of another team said that Berard, Sykora, and Garand are trash and will never make the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad