Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I’d like to see Cuylle get PK time, especially since he has not gotten more than 10 seconds of PP time although he should be on the 2ed unite screening the goalie. Didnt he play on the PP in that spot in Hartford?
Cuylle was used on the PP in HFD. But i mean so is every NHL 4th liner. But I think Cuylle can be helpful for puck retreival on the PP.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I like the deadline a bunch. The one thing I don't like about the deadline is we didn't add any heavier players. Certainly no one who's going to drop the mitts or stick up for a teammate or make a big hit. One thing that Rempe/Edstrom brought to the table was they were very effective at creating zone time and they took away time and space. And Rempe would make at least one hit a game that kinda hurt someone. I think the deadline showed one other thing -- by not adding more grit Drury and the staff are going to rely on Rempe and possibly Edstrom at some point in the playoffs to bring that kind of heavy game that we lack outside of Cuylle.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Cuylle was used on the PP in HFD. But i mean so is every NHL 4th liner. But I think Cuylle can be helpful for puck retreival on the PP.
I think Right now I'd like to see

Cuylle - Roslovic - Kakko
Laf - Gus

I do think its getting close to time to take mika of pp1, and tell him he starts producing at 5v5 and he's back on it.

Putting Laf on pp1 and mika on pp2 wouldn't be a bad move. Show the kids that it is a meritocracy.

I like the deadline a bunch. The one thing I don't like about the deadline is we didn't add any heavier players. Certainly no one who's going to drop the mitts or stick up for a teammate or make a big hit. One thing that Rempe/Edstrom brought to the table was they were very effective at creating zone time and they took away time and space. And Rempe would make at least one hit a game that kinda hurt someone. I think the deadline showed one other thing -- by not adding more grit Drury and the staff are going to rely on Rempe and possibly Edstrom at some point in the playoffs to bring that kind of heavy game that we lack outside of Cuylle.
We werent a small team before.
Our kids are mostly playoff sized... Laf and Kakko are not nor have they ever been Jack Hughes.

I dont see any reason to add grit when we have it, and more importantly, grit/size without skating is cheap, but useless, grit with skating is expensive and we avoided that.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
the best thing about adding both Roslovic and Wennberg is their ability to multiple positions. I totally get the position they were brought in to play -- but shuffling lines just became a lot easier.

So many possibilities if something isn't working. I don't even want to start suggesting combos because there are too many to list. Which could be a very good thing.

The other thing....

If someone's having a bad game in the top 6--- you can...sit...them? Are you listening Lavi? you can sit someone if he's sucking at 5v5... someone with long hair and a beard and has a Z in his name...

I think Right now I'd like to see

Cuylle - Roslovic - Kakko
Laf - Gus

I do think its getting close to time to take mika of pp1, and tell him he starts producing at 5v5 and he's back on it.

Putting Laf on pp1 and mika on pp2 wouldn't be a bad move. Show the kids that it is a meritocracy.

We werent a small team before.
Our kids are mostly playoff sized... Laf and Kakko are not nor have they ever been Jack Hughes.

I dont see any reason to add grit when we have it, and more importantly, grit/size without skating is cheap, but useless, grit with skating is expensive and we avoided that.
We have size. we have SOME grit. in the playoffs, in a long series, you want a line or two that can tenderize the opposing D. it creates space for your other lines.

Nic Dowd or Duhaime or Hathaway (a-hole!) type is what I'm talking about. Could have been had maybe. But yeah, the cost to retain may have made them too pricey to acquire in addition.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
We all know he's been a putrid 5v5 player and a PP merchant this season. He's the second best PP performer on the team, so taking him off PP1 would be a step backwards.

"Let's stop using him for his strengths until his weaknesses magically disappear," seems counterintuitive to me.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
the best thing about adding both Roslovic and Wennberg is their ability to multiple positions. I totally get the position they were brought in to play -- but shuffling lines just became a lot easier.

So many possibilities if something isn't working. I don't even want to start suggesting combos because there are too many to list. Which could be a very good thing.

The other thing....

If someone's having a bad game in the top 6--- you can...sit...them? Are you listening Lavi? you can sit someone if he's sucking at 5v5... someone with long hair and a beard and has a Z in his name...

We have size. we have SOME grit. in the playoffs, in a long series, you want a line or two that can tenderize the opposing D. it creates space for your other lines.

Nic Dowd or Duhaime or Hathaway (a-hole!) type is what I'm talking about. Could have been had maybe. But yeah, the cost to retain may have made them too pricey to acquire in addition.
We have one of those guys potentially on every line.
Roslavic isn't shy from hitting
Laf is aggressive on contact in the playoffs, Laf is also that perfect mix of skill and A$$. Also we have trocheck on that line.
Cuylle and Kakko are both physical, Kakko is more winning puck battles than hitting but thats also demoralizing just in a different way.
and then rempe just needs to ride the line alot closer to not hurting people.

Kinda seems like we have it.

We all know he's been a putrid 5v5 player and a PP merchant this season. He's the second best PP performer on the team, so taking him off PP1 would be a step backwards.

"Let's stop using him for his strengths until his weaknesses magically disappear," seems counterintuitive to me.
It would. But at a certain point you can't just play a PP merchant. You can't take mika off line one, because he does need to be our 1c. So you have to get him to focus on that part of his game.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I think you’re overrating the Rangers prospects.

If what you’re saying is true, the Rangers would have been able to pull off a deal for Guenztel.

Perreault and Ohtmann I’ll grant you, but someone like Ponomarev would be the Rangers third best prospect and it’s not close. Carolina’s prospect pool was incredibly deep and one of the best in the league.
I don't think I am. Perreault and Othmann are better for sure and if anyone has watched Berard this year he has been the most dynamic player on a pretty decent Hartford team. Ok maybe Sykora isn't flashy and not on that level yet but the three other guys are better than what the pens got

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I would have been ok with trading for Guentzel, but trading two of Othmann and Kakko for a rental would have been unacceptable. If you were trading them it needed to be for someone with term. I could see Roslovic being a better fit for what we needed anyway so I’m glad that never happened.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Why do the Rangers pay a division tax but Carolina doesnt? So dumb.
Because Carolina operates on a shoe string budget.
they can’t cross the threshold despite having one of the better coaches in the nhl and being one of the best drafting teams.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
I don't think I am. Perreault and Othmann are better for sure and if anyone has watched Berard this year he has been the most dynamic player on a pretty decent Hartford team. Ok maybe Sykora isn't flashy and not on that level yet but the three other guys are better than what the pens got
Of course Carolina has more prospect depth. Drury is moving picks each deadline while Carolina accumulates.

Even with that being the case, how is Lucius so much better than someone like Laba when the latter has a higher ppg at the same age from the same round of the same draft?

The Rangers org isn’t barren, there’s just less volume for obvious reasons

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Part of me is relieved the Rangers didn't go all in. Keeping a stocked prospect pool is going to be key to staying relevant and building within instead of paying premiums for complementary players.

Drury is going to live or die by this group this year, and the more I think about it, it's a moment where he's putting pressure on the top guys to perform.

Last year he brought in a couple guys...fell short. This year, he knows the team has talent, but Mika, Kreider, Trouba, and a few others (Igor at times) are not playing up to their standards. Bit of a self-bet, I guess.

If we had 40-goal scorer Mika and a motivated Kreider, this team is very heavy.

I'm glad he didn't pay high prices for a rental, but you have to think this summer is going to bring big changes if the team doesn't go deep.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Of course Carolina has more prospect depth. Drury is moving picks each deadline while Carolina accumulates.

Even with that being the case, how is Lucius so much better than someone like Laba when the latter has a higher ppg at the same age from the same round of the same draft?

I mean we can be critical of Drury, but we cannot blame him if Dubas would rather have a dime and two nickels than a quarter

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013

The defensive depth is the thing that concerns me at the moment. Schneider and Fox are still young, and I guess the hope is Schneider is ready to step up to Top-4 by the time Trouba is out. There's not an immediate player in the organization at the moment who is going to fit that RD role. Mancini is it at the moment.

LD is a bit trickier. If we're committing to Miller, then there's not much to fill out the left side. I think Jones ultimately gets moved in the summer, and I don't know that committing long-term to Lindgren (as much as I love the guy) is in the Rangers' best interest.

After that, you have Robertson at 23 and...that's about it. Scanlin is already 24. Some of the AHL guys are productive at that level, but are we going to end up committing to Lindgren by default?

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Part of me is relieved the Rangers didn't go all in. Keeping a stocked prospect pool is going to be key to staying relevant and building within instead of paying premiums for complementary players.

Drury is going to live or die by this group this year, and the more I think about it, it's a moment where he's putting pressure on the top guys to perform.

Last year he brought in a couple guys...fell short. This year, he knows the team has talent, but Mika, Kreider, Trouba, and a few others (Igor at times) are not playing up to their standards. Bit of a self-bet, I guess.

I'm glad he didn't pay high prices for a rental, but you have to think this summer is going to bring big changes if the keep doesn't go deep.
Even if "the keep go deep" (as you put it), I think there will still be big changes coming. Their abysmal 5-on-5 scoring must be addressed.

Reactions: Go Rangers

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
For all of the praise Carolina gets about their constant pick accumulating through trading back and always drafting the prospect twitter scouts fall in love with, they haven't really had much success translating their non-first rounders to the NHL. I do think Ponomarev is a solid prospect and will likely be PIT's 3C long-term; probably ends up having a Lars Eller-like career. I can see Lucius being a decent middle-6 scoring W because he has great playmaking skills, but still has some other areas of his game that need a good bit of work. Koivunen is the wild card because he torches the Finnish competition, but we need to see if that translates as he turns pro in North America. Everyone freaked out when they took Noel Gunler and thought he was going to be a superstar, and he just hasn't done much. Their best prospects IMO are Blake and Morrow, and they may not even be able to keep Morrow because he might not sign there.

Reactions: AirGut

Dijock94

Apr 1, 2016
What are the chances we can sign this Collin Graf kid? Or is he destined for the Bruins

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022

I'm glad he didn't pay high prices for a rental, but you have to think this summer is going to bring big changes if the keep doesn't go deep.
If we dont get to the conference finals this year i think we’ll see the roster shaken up a bit around the draft.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Even if "the keep go deep" (as you put it), I think there will still be big changes coming. Their abysmal 5-on-5 scoring must be addressed.

That's typing on a phone for you.

Even with the cap going up, I just wonder how big the changes can be with Zibanejad, Kreider, Trocheck, and Panarin all having No Movement Clauses and Chytil as a question mark.

If we dont get to the conference finals this year i think we’ll see the roster shaken up a bit around the draft.

More likely than big changes, but the cap still may make things challenging.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

The other thing....

Agreed.
The playoffs is a battle of attrition.
Long series/hard play/injuries that player play with and that take them out of the line up are all huge factors…. Plus the amount of luck needed is another animal.
Versatility is key come the post season…
I really wanted zetterlund…. I think he would have been really good with Kreider/ zibby and he’s another guy you can move all throughout the line up.
For what we got and what we paid, I’m not upset… we needed more bodies any way ya slice it…
The key is still going to be shesty playing his A game and getting the zibby line going…. Then are going to need zibby to pick it up. If that line can’t provide scoring in the playoffs at 5v5 we’re cooked…..
Especially when teams key in on Bread/Tro/laf and their open ice etc is harder to come by

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
That's typing on a phone for you.

Even with the cap going up, I just wonder how big the changes can be with Zibanejad, Kreider, Trocheck, and Panarin all having No Movement Clauses and Chytil as a question mark.

More likely than big changes, but the cap still may make things challenging.
I think it likely that Drury will consider moving Trouba if necessary. While Kreider is a consideration, I think he'll retire as a Ranger because of where he stands in our record books.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad