Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Edström was showing NHL quality in all his games. And - he will only get better. He will fight too. But he can play a Big Boy game skating as the harrowing Nordic winds like a giant Thor out there. 2 years remaining on a very good contract. This is how you develop a club. Detroit did it like this for decades. Ease in homegrown products. It's always about the trajectory growth curve of newcomers being above the demise curve of the "vets". That is the key. We got Otter, Berard and Sykora all up next.

We need some C and D newcomers too. Guess they will come from phasing out the veterans in trades since Drury has given most of our picks away...

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ

Jack tweeted this 5/2....wonder if CBJ GM didn't want to deal with NYR and got wacked and JD stepped in?

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014

After going star hunting at last year's NHL trade deadline, Chris Drury took a different approach this time around.

It wasn’t exactly by choice. The Rangers tried to go big and were deep into the sweepstakes for the No. 1 player on the market, dynamic winger Jake Guenztel, as previously reported by lohud.com, part of the USA TODAY Network. But they were ultimately outbid by the Metro Division-rival Carolina Hurricanes. It’s believed they also tried for old friend and Ducks’ leading scorer Frank Vatrano but weren’t willing to meet Anaheim general manager Pat Verbeek’s over-the-top asking price.

There was never much of an appetite for a reunion with another old friend, St. Louis winger Pavel Buchnevich, who the Blues ended up holding onto anyway. Nor was there a chance for a rare New York-New Jersey trade – there's still only been one in over 40 years – involving Tyler Toffoli, who the Devils instead shipped north of the border to Winnipeg.

On the Guentzel talks:

Perhaps more details will trickle out in the coming days and weeks, but as far as I can tell, the only way the Rangers were going to convince the Penguins to trade Guentzel to New York instead of Carolina was to include either top prospect Gabe Perreault or two out of three from the young forward group of Will Cuylle, Kaapo Kakko and Brennan Othmann.

Perreault was a hard no, according to multiple people with knowledge of the situation, and but there have been whispers that Drury at least entertained including one of Kakko or Othmann. I don’t have confirmation that either was formally offered, but it’s clear that the Blueshirts next tier of prospects – the likes of Brett Berard, Zac Jones and Adam Sýkora – weren’t valued by Pittsburgh as much as the package they got from the Hurricanes.

Many have pointed to the fact that the trio of young forwards the Pens landed – Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev and Cruz Lucius, plus veteran Michael Bunting and a pair of draft picks – weren’t among Carolina’s top-three prospects, according to various rankings. But it’s important to acknowledge that the Canes have a deeper system than the Rangers, with one scout expressing their belief that all three of those prospects would have ranked third in New York’s pipeline behind Perreault and Othmann.

In a way, all the draft picks Drury has traded away since he took over in 2021 – now 24 in total – cost him the ammunition he may have needed to complete a trade of this magnitude. That is a valid criticism.

But if we believe that the only way the Rangers could have outbid Carolina would have been by including both Kakko and Othmann in their offer, then Drury was right to walk away.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I was reading Staples article on the deadline yesterday and he called all of the prospects that Pittsburgh got for Guentzel “middling”

Which is shocking cause those guys would easily be some of the best prospects the Rangers had if they were ours lmao

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
I was reading Staples article on the deadline yesterday and he called all of the prospects that Pittsburgh got for Guentzel “middling”

Which is shocking cause those guys would easily be some of the best prospects the Rangers had if they were ours lmao
Staple is the worst beat out there. Has no idea about prospects, just keeps throwing players into horrible trades for nyr (laf last season, kk this season). Plus he has no insider info. The best thing he’s done for the beat was having a podcast w/Vally which isn’t around anymore.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think at this point, Berard is guaranteed a Loooooong look in training camp next season. But the org wants him playing big mins and dominating on a team that is comfortably in playoff position this year. If they go out early though, would not be at all surprised to see him get called up.
I think this is a really good point.

Reactions: Kendo

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
The Bread Line is staying together until training camp at the earliest. Fine.

Instead of trying another revolving door of RW on the BFF Line for the home stretch, I say we just keep Kakko there. We know what they are. Mika and Kaapo are both offensive enigmas with positive xG%. They may not score much, but they won't get scored on much either. Kreider's fine, and Mika will feed on the PP (npi).

That leaves us with a brand new 3rd line for Cuylle. Wennberg doesn't have the offensive pop that Chytil brought, but he is a better defensive F. Roslovic is an upgrade on Wheeler, straight up. We've been a top 5 team all season with a chunk of time playing Bonino in a just barely top 9 role. This has the makings of a real deal 3rd line that can be a pain to play against.

If a top 9 F gets injured, Berard should get a cup of coffee. Otter had his turn, now it's Beeb's. Even if it's an injured C, Roslo can slot to C, then BB slots in on the 3rd W.

I'm absolutely stoked that we got the three pieces we needed and held onto our 1sts and ALL of the kids. I really thought we would dangle Jones as a sweetener in lieu of a 3rd (with the possibility of claiming Bjornfot as a replacement), but he at least has value as a chip in the offseason or platooning again next season. Ruhwedel is likely going to eat his minutes the rest of the way and into the playoffs.

I was pretty firmly at a B+ deadline, but after sleeping on it, I'm closer to an A-. Some tidy work done here.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014

Not anymore. Othmann, Berard and even Sykora are better than any of those prospects they got. Not to mention Perreault who is still in college tho

Throw in Garand as well if you wanna bring in a goalie.
This organization under CD is finally taking notice that Hartford and the AHL (2nd best league in the world) is important for the future.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Not anymore. Othmann, Berard and even Sykora are better than any of those prospects they got. Not to mention Perreault who is still in college tho

Throw in Garand as well if you wanna bring in a goalie.
This organization under CD is finally taking notice that Hartford and the AHL (2nd best league in the world) is important for the future.
I think you’re overrating the Rangers prospects.

If what you’re saying is true, the Rangers would have been able to pull off a deal for Guenztel.

Perreault and Ohtmann I’ll grant you, but someone like Ponomarev would be the Rangers third best prospect and it’s not close. Carolina’s prospect pool was incredibly deep and one of the best in the league.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Looking forward, very happy we didnt trade any of Gabe, Berard or Othmann. I think Berard is better than Othmann tbh.

Next year it’s likely rempe, edstrom, othmann and berard make the team.

The opening night, pre-TDL lineup can legitimately be assembled without signing a single ufa from another club. However, due to organizational depth on the wings I think we are going to be trading a roster player around the draft

The following imo are nhl quality guys next season

Kreider-Mika-Berard
Panarin-Trocheck-Laff
Cuylle-Chytil (if alive) - Kakko
Edstrom-Rempe-Vesey

Goodrow, Brodz, Othmann

My guess is the following happens

1) goodrow gets traded at 50% retained. It’s better for us than the buyout long term cap hit wise (just not next season).

2) Kakko gets moved in a change of scenery type of hockey trade. Maybe something around Kakko, B-level prospect and 1st for Zegras?

That would leave us with the below

Kreider-Mika-Berard
Panarin-Zegras-Laff
Cuylle-Trocheck-Othmann/Brodz
Edstrom-Rempe-Vesey
Brodz/13F
Agree with a lot here…
There will be turnover on D as well.
Someone will overpay Gus like Calgary did…. He’s a goner imo
Trouba could possibly be as well.
To the dismay of some, I think Lindgren stays..
The biggest difference I can see at FWd is they likely want Edstrom as 4C if he can handle it going forward.
He’s big and responsible and skates well for his size

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I think you’re overrating the Rangers prospects.

If what you’re saying is true, the Rangers would have been able to pull off a deal for Guenztel.

Perreault and Ohtmann I’ll grant you, but someone like Ponomarev would be the Rangers third best prospect and it’s not close. Carolina’s prospect pool was incredibly deep and one of the best in the league.
I'd say it's close. Cuylle was a few picks later, but technically graduated. I'd disagree with you right there if Will counted.

Sykora is younger, progressing nicely for a similar pick. Berard was picked way later, but has exploded, so he's definitely "close."

Speaking of Sykora...his 23-24 season has disappeared from hockeydb??? WTF?

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Up in the Blue Seats Not Live [ False advertising by The Post. Just rehashed from the video posted 2 days ago.]

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The Bread Line is staying together until training camp at the earliest. Fine.

Instead of trying another revolving door of RW on the BFF Line for the home stretch, I say we just keep Kakko there. We know what they are. Mika and Kaapo are both offensive enigmas with positive xG%. They may not score much, but they won't get scored on much either. Kreider's fine, and Mika will feed on the PP (npi).

That leaves us with a brand new 3rd line for Cuylle. Wennberg doesn't have the offensive pop that Chytil brought, but he is a better defensive F. Roslovic is an upgrade on Wheeler, straight up. We've been a top 5 team all season with a chunk of time playing Bonino in a just barely top 9 role. This has the makings of a real deal 3rd line that can be a pain to play against.

If a top 9 F gets injured, Berard should get a cup of coffee. Otter had his turn, now it's Beeb's. Even if it's an injured C, Roslo can slot to C, then BB slots in on the 3rd W.

I'm absolutely stoked that we got the three pieces we needed and held onto our 1sts and ALL of the kids. I really thought we would dangle Jones as a sweetener in lieu of a 3rd (with the possibility of claiming Bjornfot as a replacement), but he at least has value as a chip in the offseason or platooning again next season. Ruhwedel is likely going to eat his minutes the rest of the way and into the playoffs.

I was pretty firmly at a B+ deadline, but after sleeping on it, I'm closer to an A-. Some tidy work done here.
Agree as to bread line, but then no.

Kakko ALREADY HAS chem w/Cuyle. Why do some insist on breaking that up and forcing things? Now is not the time for this level of experimenting.

Eds should still be here.
Wenn contributes little offensively or creatively. Use complementary pieces to = best chance to have chemistry/synergy.
4th checking line should now be
Ed - Wenn Rempe

I would only have changed that if we got a right D to do 3RD, and then having to find mins for Troub somewhere, would have him at 4RW [less skating resp] and thus Eds - Rem - Trou

Again, now is not the time to experiment, just sayin Eds should have been here earlier, instead of Bonino, and as a result we could then have considered experiment w/Kreider - Eds - Zib, to see if Zib game optimizes w/o pivot responsibilities and he does W. Now is not the time for that unless injuries force it, but closemindedness failure to try things before is biting us in the ass now

ok, so those 2 Ines worked out, that leaves
Kreid - Zib - Rosc*
* I would give Petan a game or 2 shot just to see IF IF IF lightning in a bottle there is any chemistry

and

cuylle - Brodz - KK
Rosc can also be tried here but I would rather work on improvinng something that is already visible there, the chem these 3 already show to date

Vesey plays 1 game replacing every player each line to keep everybody fresher for POs

I would have traded Vesey for J. Per, and flipped him/ish for RD Barron; Habs had interest and did acquire J per, btw.

I would not have spent a 2d on Wenn. He will hep now, but whether he is worth it long term is another ?.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Maybe Staple (who I am not a fan of anyway) is comparing what the Canes traded to what was asked of the Rangers.

I don’t think it really matters where the Canes guys would have ranked on the Rangers prospect list. What matters is the players the Penguins wanted from the Rangers are better than the players they got from the Hurricanes. Middling or not, the Penguins got prospect quantity from the Canes, not the quality they would have gotten from the Rangers.

Me personally I’d much rather have Othmann than any prospect that the Hurricanes dealt. I think that matters. I said it at the time, but this reminded me A LOT of the trade that the Thrashers sent Ilya Kovalchuk to the Devils; where the Thrashers were demanding guys like young Marc Staal, Dubinsky/Callahan, etc, and then sent him to NJ for a poo poo platter. Dubas did the same thing here. Rangers had a higher cost of doing business

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Could it be possible that posters on this board over rate our prospects? Nah can't be.
It’s widely accepted that Canes prospects pool is one of the best. But our top prospect is a bona fide blue chip, no doubt. Cuylle is a first year NHLer and he’s already a premium 3rd liner with clear potential for more bringing a set of attributes that every team wants. Kakko is Kakko who just having a down year and I’m not going to argue what his long term outlook. I’m sure there’s plenty of value there. Othmann is having an acceptable year from the development perspective that keeps him on track to where he’s projected to be. Berard is having an outstanding year in the AHL and so is Laba in college. I’m not sure how good Canes prospects that were included in the trade project (I just know all of them are having good years) but if these are indeed better than what the Rangers have then a. good on Pens for getting them and b. I’m glad that Drury didn’t pay the price while doing what he did for the (low) price he paid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad