Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Vince article saying Edstrom has the best chance to remain in the lineup over Rempe and Brodzinski. I think that is the right call. The size and NHL readiness of his defensive game is a plus. Brodz is a perfect 13th forward. Rempe I think goes to Hartford to play a lot and gets the recall closer to the playoffs or if the Rangers need size for a specific opponent.

Also Rangers have serious interest in Guentzel. Interesting at least.
I kinda want the Rangers to take a big swing so I can’t say I would be upset with Guentzel. I just would be a bit concerned with how he would fit in the lineup. He and Sid generate so much offense down low and off the cycle. If you are putting him with Kreider and Zibanejad, we all know that story.

Unless Ottawa is retaining on chychrun we’re gonna have problems next season
Not really, buyout Goodrow and they would have more than enough cap room. Also one of Lindgren or Trouba goes to restructure this defense which they need to do.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I kinda want the Rangers to take a big swing so I can’t say I would be upset with Guentzel. I just would be a bit concerned with how he would fit in the lineup. He and Sid generate so much offense down low and off the cycle. If you are putting him with Kreider and Zibanejad, we all know that story.

Not really, buyout Goodrow and they would have more than enough cap room. Also one of Lindgren or Trouba goes to restructure this defense which they need to do.

Im in the big swing camp too, but Drury can only really take what the defense gives him here, so to speak. The big swing might come in the summer when we know where this roster stands.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If the Rangers come out of the deadline with Wennberg, Zucker and a Rutta type D-man, ill be satisfied. Guentzel as a straight rental is going to cost Othmann and a 1st. Im very open to trading a package for Buchnevich bit we'll see what that looks like. Could be a bidding war among the teams that miss out on Guentzel.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-Zucker
Vesey-Goodrow-Edstrom
Brodzinski/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
Gus-Schneider
Rutta

Igor
Quick

Lines are just what I would do but that is a formidable lineup.
That Iineup is pretty good!
swap Kakko And Zucker maybe?
Rutta could be low key good depth trade. Only problem is the almost 3 million cap hit for next year.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That Iineup is pretty good!
swap Kakko And Zucker maybe?
Rutta could be low key good depth trade. Only problem is the almost 3 million cap hit for next year.

Id rather pay Rutta 3mil next year than Lindy tbh, but that is an obstacle. Im also fine with a guy like Edmundson despite the visceral hatred some on the board have for him lol

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I prefer the big swing to be at defense.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I have no issues moving otter or our first this year for the right return. with the way the draft drops off our first should be well after that drop off and we can afford to move it this year. otter and our 1st (plus whatever) should buy a significant player with some term or control. that isnt guentzel, but what other creative options are out there? Buch would be great (although comparing the trades would be awful), but can you also get the blues to retain 50% and add hayes at 50%? that is the kind of bigger deal I would consider. You have players in their primes or in the backend of their primes over the next 2-3 years, your target window is now based on the team you built. getting hayes and buch retained for multiple runs in that window and it allows you to still add to fortify the other parts of the roster. KZB line goes back together, willy hayes kakko is 3rd line, all other forwards slide down into better roles and depth

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Again, no disagree, but why spend assets to acquire, whether large or small, if he is borderline useless due to insufficient skating?
playoffs are a different game than reg season, especially the deeper you go. the skating thing becomes less of a factor. also, guys like him are in valuable in the room during a run. there are parts to players that matter beyond stats and simply what you see on the ice. d men in 7/8 roles are emergency guys and there for locker room presence

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
chychrun going to be making hot chocolate for the guys between periods between getting therapy on whatever thing he hurt getting out of the shower that morning?
I am not this critical of Chych, but fact is it is a stupid get, b'c this guy is gonna cost cap we don't have and even if could scrape up cap to pay him, there is a chance he goes elsewhere, so effectively, = useless rental overpay

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
chychrun going to be making hot chocolate for the guys between periods between getting therapy on whatever thing he hurt getting out of the shower that morning?
That’s not an issue with zucker?

Chychrun said he’s working on it and seems to be doing fine this season

Bottom line.

We’re not winning with current iteration of our top4. It’s by far the weakest link imo. Not addressing it and paying for rentals is foolish.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
playoffs are a different game than reg season, especially the deeper you go. the skating thing becomes less of a factor. also, guys like him are in valuable in the room during a run. there are parts to players that matter beyond stats and simply what you see on the ice. d men in 7/8 roles are emergency guys and there for locker room presence
all fair pts
general agree
but respectful disagree as to must still be minimum sufficient level skating

not aware of current Edmunds. skating ability, but supposedly we chilled to idea of considering him previously b'c it was bad then and is not likely to be better now

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
That’s not an issue with zucker?

Chychrun said he’s working on it and seems to be doing fine this season

Bottom line.

We’re not winning with current iteration of our top4. It’s by far the weakest link imo. Not addressing it and paying for rentals is foolish.
Hasn't Chychrun had a lousy season in Ottawa? I have read a few things about him being bad this year. I haven't watched him much so I don't know how his overall game has been this year.

Reactions: bl02

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Roslovic and Kakko (and to a lesser extent Wennberg) fighting for the same fistful of long-term dollars during this stretch run.

Also what more does Berard have to do? Drury may want Berard & Edstrom down there for Calder playoffs though. Its a full house at the NHL level right now

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I think at this point, Berard is guaranteed a Loooooong look in training camp next season. But the org wants him playing big mins and dominating on a team that is comfortably in playoff position this year. If they go out early though, would not be at all surprised to see him get called up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad