Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I’ve been vetted a few times in the past. Hope those same people remember me. I’m hearing that pacioretty is looking to move to the rangers. He is basically just waiting for a move to hopefully materialize.
I fully believe it but why are we excited for this? slow and soft former goal scorer with two Achilles tears that is slower now at age 35 and has 3 goals in 25 games. Again, why are we excited about this? I understand why he would want to come here, but why would nyr want this?

Moving any non 4th-line roster player to try to find somebody to fit with Kreider and Zibanejad, scares me.

I think that duo will be at least passable in the playoffs, playing low event hockey against top lines, but we will not have a chance against any playoff team if we're rolling out Cuylle and Brodzinski on the third line without Kakko.

Even moving Lindgren mid-season, without adding another NHL D, would be crippling the second that there's an injury and we have to play Mackey or Robertson in a playoff series.
100%, most playoff based teams that want to make a run do NOT trade off their roster at the deadline except for fringe players. It risks too much disruption to the room (this is a real thing whether people want to accept it or not) and it defeats the idea of adding to the team to establish more depth for a run and push players down the lineup to deepen it.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Brodzinski can do what this guy does. There's literally no upgrade there. Except for the obligatory "he played with one of our current players a bunch of years ago".
Sorry but you’re wrong. Wennberg is light years better than Brodzinski. If you cant understand that, nobody can help you.

Reactions: nyrage

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Vince article saying Edstrom has the best chance to remain in the lineup over Rempe and Brodzinski. I think that is the right call. The size and NHL readiness of his defensive game is a plus. Brodz is a perfect 13th forward. Rempe I think goes to Hartford to play a lot and gets the recall closer to the playoffs or if the Rangers need size for a specific opponent.

Also Rangers have serious interest in Guentzel. Interesting at least.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
Moving any non 4th-line roster player to try to find somebody to fit with Kreider and Zibanejad, scares me.

I think that duo will be at least passable in the playoffs, playing low event hockey against top lines, but we will not have a chance against any playoff team if we're rolling out Cuylle and Brodzinski on the third line without Kakko.

Even moving Lindgren mid-season, without adding another NHL D, would be crippling the second that there's an injury and we have to play Mackey or Robertson in a playoff series.
Amen!!! If they haven't found anyone the Bromancers can play with by now, the TDL is certainly not the time and place to throw away assets needlessly hoping for a match. As has been stated before, it's up to them to "get themselves going".

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
How have we not tried breaking them up by now? Would have given more options for the TDL to find pieces that fit the new lines. Seems like a lost opportunity. We had a minute where they had Fox on PP2. We couldn't actually try out a Kreiderless Mika for a few games?

Reactions: fm and surlysailor

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
How have we not tried breaking them up by now? Would have given more options for the TDL to find pieces that fit the new lines. Seems like a lost opportunity. We had a minute where they had Fox on PP2. We couldn't actually try out a Kreiderless Mika for a few games?

Simple answer is Laviolette didnt have a better option without breaking up the Panarin line. It's clear to me he knows that's where the team's bread is buttered, and Kreider & Mika are getting admittedly a lot of rope to figure it out. Helps that Kreider has 31 goals and the team is in first place all season.

I think once we add a couple forwards were going to see some new line combinations. The Rangers always knew they needed to add a center and a wing, playing kreider with Brodzinski wouldnt have made it any less obvious lol.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Realistic targets for NYR right now, if they do something bigger i will be surprised but the market for short term is questionable at best. would they go nuts and try to get involved for lindholm if the canucks flip him? I think they easily get outbid for guentzel

C:
wennberg
granlund
schmaltz (would need 50% retained for years but it saves the yotes a lot of real money)
kevin hayes (50%) wild idea, i know but he would be a big upgrade on the 3rd line and for cheap
henrique (cost)
tyler johnson
roslovic
kuraly
dowd
glendenning

W:
duclair
zucker
bjugstad
liam o'brien
sundqvist
vatrano (cost)
max jones (depth only)
anthony beauvillier
blackwell (depth only)
kunin
brandon duhaime
aube-kubel (depth only)
okposo
girgensons
jake evans
motte
watson (depth)

D:
rutta? (can play both sides)
goligoski (depth only can play both sides)
jake bean
edmenson (can play both sides)
erik johnson
haydn fleury

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Imo Vatrano will land here for a 2nd, not sure about that price but i think thats where he lands. I'm kinda nervous about this deadline, imo we need to keep all roster players and Perrault and Othmann, and maybe even Berard since he appears closer to being an nhl ready option incase of injuries.
if there is any relenting, and mindful Dolan wants to hold on to the 2024 1st,
I could MAYBE see some small concession by ANA on Vats.
Rs 2025 1st, NYR 2024 4th, Gust, Good reduced 1.6x to 2.0\
for
Vats [no retention], Helleson, the later of its 2 2024 2nds

something like that

Sorry but you’re wrong. Wennberg is light years better than Brodzinski. If you cant understand that, nobody can help you.
disagree

Vince article saying Edstrom has the best chance to remain in the lineup over Rempe and Brodzinski. I think that is the right call. The size and NHL readiness of his defensive game is a plus. Brodz is a perfect 13th forward. Rempe I think goes to Hartford to play a lot and gets the recall closer to the playoffs or if the Rangers need size for a specific opponent.

Also Rangers have serious interest in Guentzel. Interesting at least.
Eds should remain but esp Remp + then Brodz should as well
Good should sit

Realistic targets for NYR right now, if they do something bigger i will be surprised but the market for short term is questionable at best. would they go nuts and try to get involved for lindholm if the canucks flip him? I think they easily get outbid for guentzel

C:
wennberg
granlund
schmaltz (would need 50% retained for years but it saves the yotes a lot of real money)
kevin hayes (50%) wild idea, i know but he would be a big upgrade on the 3rd line and for cheap
henrique (cost)
tyler johnson
roslovic
kuraly
dowd
glendenning

W:
duclair
zucker
bjugstad
liam o'brien
sundqvist
vatrano (cost)
max jones (depth only)
anthony beauvillier
blackwell (depth only)
kunin
brandon duhaime
aube-kubel (depth only)
okposo
girgensons
jake evans
motte
watson (depth)

D:
rutta? (can play both sides)
goligoski (depth only can play both sides)
jake bean
edmenson (can play both sides)
erik johnson
haydn fleury
But can Edmundson skate?
What good is a pylon?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If the Rangers come out of the deadline with Wennberg, Zucker and a Rutta type D-man, ill be satisfied. Guentzel as a straight rental is going to cost Othmann and a 1st. Im very open to trading a package for Buchnevich bit we'll see what that looks like. Could be a bidding war among the teams that miss out on Guentzel.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-Zucker
Vesey-Goodrow-Edstrom
Brodzinski/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
Gus-Schneider
Rutta

Igor
Quick

Lines are just what I would do but that is a formidable lineup.

Reactions: surlysailor

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
If the Rangers come out of the deadline with Wennberg, Zucker and a Rutta type D-man, ill be satisfied. Guentzel as a straight rental is going to cost Othmann and a 1st. Im very open to trading a package for Buchnevich bit we'll see what that looks like. Could be a bidding war among the teams that miss out on Guentzel.

Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-Zucker
Vesey-Goodrow-Edstrom
Brodzinski/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
Gus-Schneider
Rutta

Igor
Quick

Didnt Kreider and Zucker play on those team USA teams with Larkin? I know Larkin is not available but Zucker with Kreider would be fun to watch

Reactions: NYR Viper

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Hayes might quietly be my most favored deadline add. I just don't know that St Louis would be looking to move him, they're still in the playoff picture but they did sell last year
he would absolutely fill a role here and if he can get back to his possesion game low in zone could be a good compliment to a guy like kakko. i just wonder if he off ice life is something the org wants back in the room

Reactions: B17 Apricots

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Didnt Kreider and Zucker play on those team USA teams with Larkin? I know Larkin is not available but Zucker with Kreider would be fun to watch

Wennberg Zucker Kreider all play with speed. Zibanejad Cuylle Kakko may never score but no on will on that line, including the opposition. If Mika wants to not shoot, let him be the shutdown guy. He is capable.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
7th d that can slot for an injury and eat 7mins in a playoff game. teams win with these guys in depth roles to eat mins when needed or when there are injuries. they aren't sexy but they have a purpose for depth
I want to be w/you on this b'c what you say is true and he does check off the other boxes.
But my pt remains, last PO we got burned on speed.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
if you can run this i think you are okay for a solid run

kreider mika zucker
bread vinny laf
will hayes/wennberg (hayes would be a lot cheaper) kakko
eddy goodrow vesey
brod duclair

lindgren fox
miller (please find your game) trouba
gusto schn
rutta edmunson

you have options up front for injuries or if players struggle with the playoffs since there are 2 rookies in the top 12, you have d depth, and this is all possible without nuking the org.

i still maintain if there is a way to get hanafin the org should strongly consider it if there is a chance to resign him

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
I suspect management didn't want either of them moved to the 4th line. It would have been idiotic to break up the Tro line and the third line had begun establishing itself as a viable checking/possession line. The only problem line was the 4th.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I suspect management didn't want either of them moved to the 4th line. It would have been idiotic to break up the Tro line and the third line had begun establishing itself as a viable checking/possession line. The only problem line was the 4th.
Mika took a shift w the 3rd last game, and it was the best shift I’d seen of him in months

Reactions: NYR Viper

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Cuylle-Mika-Kakko
Kreider-Wennberg-Zucker
Vesey-Goodrow-Edstrom
Brodzinski/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Trouba
Gus-Schneider
Rutta

Igor
Quick

now add Chychrun and we're cooking with gas

2 forwards and a LHD. doable

Reactions: McRanger92

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Unless Ottawa is retaining on chychrun we’re gonna have problems next season
In my mind, I'm moving Trouba and/or Lindgren next offseason. They could still retain a bit to alleviate some cap pressure.

KAM Fox
Chych Schneids

would be our top4.

• Haha
Reactions: bleedblue94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad