Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Assuming kakko at 3m
Lindgren at 3m
Gus isn’t gonna be league min. And you have to replace Goodrow.
Goodrow will be replaced by Edstrom. The rangers will have plenty of cap room just by buying out/trading Goodrow. None of Kakko/Schneider/Lindgren will cost that much, and I wouldn't be surprised if Lindgren or Kakko were moved either.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Assuming kakko at 3m
Lindgren at 3m
Gus isn’t gonna be league min. And you have to replace Goodrow.
Kakko at 3 mil is not much more than he is making right now and Lindgren is making 3 mil now. They can easily replace Goodrow for a lot cheaper. They will also have Pitlick, Bonino, Wheeler off the books as well. That's 2.4 mil. They have a lot of young and cheaper guys who will be fighting for spots to fill out the roster. Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, Othmann, are a few of them.

Reactions: egelband

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
Gus can walk. Not paying a guy 4mil AAV when he is 32 in 2 days. Jones has shown he can fill that role next year. Lindgren is also getting 4-5 on his next contract. It's the going rate for that type of player.

not giving Gus 4mil and giving it to Lindgren instead is a huge mistake. it's the Stralman/Girardi mistake all over again.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Kakko at 3 mil is not much more than he is making right now and Lindgren is making 3 mil now. They can easily replace Goodrow for a lot cheaper. They will also have Pitlick, Bonino, Wheeler off the books as well. That's 2.4 mil. They have a lot of young and cheaper guys who will be fighting for spots to fill out the roster. Edstrom, Rempe, Berard, Othmann, are a few of them.

I dont think Kakko deserves any type of major raise, if any increase.

He likely get a 1 year deal around the dollar amount he's making now.

turcotte8

Feb 15, 2008
NY
Gus can walk. Not paying a guy 4mil AAV when he is 32 in 2 days. Jones has shown he can fill that role next year. Lindgren is also getting 4-5 on his next contract. It's the going rate for that type of player.
This. I wouldn't give Gus more than 1 million a year.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Lebrun has no reason to do damage control for us.

More likely than not, Pittsburgh was probably putting shit out there to try to make Carolina pony up. That’s what it felt like to me the entire time anyway.
Agreed

I didn't consider that, great point!

Yeah, he could end up getting claimed and being an NHL backup regardless. But if he plays in the A, then it shows he'd rather play in Hartford. Seems like there's a great locker room over there. And of course, a better chance that his family gets to stay put another season so I guess the fam likes the area.
Plus, he's getting paid 3/4 million a year to play hockey for 8 months...

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I didn't consider that, great point!

Yeah, he could end up getting claimed and being an NHL backup regardless. But if he plays in the A, then it shows he'd rather play in Hartford. Seems like there's a great locker room over there. And of course, a better chance that his family gets to stay put another season so I guess the fam likes the area.
Plus, he's getting paid 3/4 million a year to play hockey for 8 months...

Getting rid of Trouba is far easier then Lindgren ( to the team)
Schneider would be a cheaper in house replacement…
You move Lindgren, you immediately have to sign/trade for a top 4 physical minute eating LD….
It’s very odd tbh…
Kakko has a bad season at age 24…. No one wants him gone

Lindgren has a bad season at age 25 and his prior body of work doesn’t matter and everyone wants to ship him out to replace him with what exactly??
What? Tons of people were trying to get rid of Kakko at the TDL... and he just turned 23 in Feb.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
not giving Gus 4mil and giving it to Lindgren instead is a huge mistake. it's the Stralman/Girardi mistake all over again.
I don't really agree. I don't think Gus should be making 4m. Zac Jones aint perfect, but he's shown he belongs at this point and provides many similar traits. I like the depth Gus brings us, but he's 3rd pair D for us. We need those 3rd pair D to be under 3m a year. Just like we need our bottom 6 to be under 3m a year as well -- See Barclay Goodrow. It's just the nature of roster construction nowadays.

Also, Stralman was far better in his own zone than Gus and made far fewer gaffs.

If we can bring back Gus on a short 2 year deal at under 3m, I'd consider it. But I'm not too excited about going over 2m for him.

And I was a huge Stralman fan and was really ticked when we let him walk.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
His QO is 2.4m, he will get at LEAST that, probably more.
I think the playoffs will mean A LOT for Kakko.

I think the Rangers will likely use their leverage one mroe time and get him to sign a 1 year deal. Or if we wants to sign a 4 year deal like Chytil at 3.5 I would strongly consider as that gives us a cheap good player during the current core's prime years. But again, a lot will depend on the playoffs. If the core struggles this year in the POs, then bigger questions will need to be asked first.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
mgmt may want troub, but cap will dictate.
If we are stupid, do not listen to bern, extend select youth longer term, cost of doing so will go up. We should have offered KAM larger 6-8 yr deal.

bold: dat wuz den an dis is now
As recently as last yr, maybe as high as 20OA-ish. maybe.
now a 2nd, maybe a 2nd +

This is why I say 2 3rds + Lindy + Jones for two 2nds
Jones is barely a 3rd returned, MAYBE
packaged together, you get 2 2nds

Jones = value as a stopgap placeholder but = higher if w/add garners a better pick
Accept growing pains, Robertson/Mackey now. Scanlin next yr
Fortescue as soon as he is ready, likely season after next at earliest

would love to pay for gus for 1 mo yr, even w/raise, BUT NO CAN DO, b'c eye test says after fab first half of season, he is running out of gas
good experiment this yr
repeating w/raise he expects/deserves + giving even mo mins as he is older = no
gotta think AHEAD of the curve
I disagree. I think Lindgren is highly regarded around the league. The Rangers highly regard him. He’s easily worth a mid to late 1st round pick, particularly to a team lacking his player profile.

Also, NYR can’t trade 2 3rds bc they don’t have 2 3rds.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I don't really agree. I don't think Gus should be making 4m. Zac Jones aint perfect, but he's shown he belongs at this point and provides many similar traits. I like the depth Gus brings us, but he's 3rd pair D for us. We need those 3rd pair D to be under 3m a year. Just like we need our bottom 6 to be under 3m a year as well -- See Barclay Goodrow. It's just the nature of roster construction nowadays.

Also, Stralman was far better in his own zone than Gus and made far fewer gaffs.

If we can bring back Gus on a short 2 year deal at under 3m, I'd consider it. But I'm not too excited about going over 2m for him.

And I was a huge Stralman fan and was really ticked when we let him walk.
100% 2.25x2 should be a reasonable area. There can also be something to say for gus to finally have a little stability after and extremely tumultuous career moving around to so many teams.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think the playoffs will mean A LOT for Kakko.

I think the Rangers will likely use their leverage one mroe time and get him to sign a 1 year deal. Or if we wants to sign a 4 year deal like Chytil at 3.5 I would strongly consider as that gives us a cheap good player during the current core's prime years. But again, a lot will depend on the playoffs. If the core struggles this year in the POs, then bigger questions will need to be asked first.
reasonable.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I figure it may be favorable to trying to unload Trouba outright and then replace him with another (potentially bloated) UFA D contract. Fowler for two years, you sort of know what you're getting there, and still fits your current window of contention.
I like the concept but I don’t like the player. I want someone with better defensive side game to play with Fox.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For the off-season:

Re-sign:
Kakko - 1 year @ $2.4m
Gustafsson - 3 years @ $3m per season
Wennberg - 4 years @ $3.5m per season
Schneider - 2 years $1.75m per season

Buyout Goodrow

Trades:
To ARI:
Lindgren
To NYR:
WSH 2nd '24 + NYR 2nd '25 + NYR 3rd '25

To NSH:
Trouba
To NYR:
Lauzon + Glass + TB 2nd '24 + NSH 3rd '24 + COL 3rd '25

Signings:
Brenden Dillon - 2 years $3.75m per season
Dylan Demelo - 4 years @ $4m per season

1710268566249.png

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
No, it’s two separate issues. Jones has shown that he could be a cheap 3LD next season. Do we want Gus on the top line with Fox? Not more (maybe even less) than having Lindgren there. And before suggesting Miller - I’d prefer him with Schneider on the 2nd line that can eat 48-50 minutes between them.

Reactions: Kendo

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
For the off-season:

Re-sign:
Kakko - 1 year @ $2.4m

Buyout Goodrow

Trades:
To ARI:
Lindgren
To NYR:

To NSH:
Trouba
To NYR:

Signings:

View attachment 834636
I agree in principle, just not execution.

Haven't seen enough of Wennberg to want to jump on a 4 year contract.
Lindgren does not return that much but not worth debating. In principle, trade for draft picks = works for me.
Trouba... also think we won't get so many draft picks AND those players. trade for assets, not expecting anything insane back = works for me. Not sure how Glass fits in the 4C role.

Love Dillon and Demelo but you are far undervaluing what they'll get as UFAs. I would expect +2M in total cap more than you have for those two.
If you have Lauzon, feels like Jones is redundant? You could have Jones in Gus' spot at get back that extra 2M I think you'd need. I feel like if Jones isn't in our plans anymore, it's time to trade him. Give him a chance and recoup that asset value.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
No, it’s two separate issues. Jones has shown that he could be a cheap 3LD next season. Do we want Gus on the top line with Fox? Not more (maybe even less) than having Lindgren there. And before suggesting Miller - I’d prefer him with Schneider on the 2nd line that can eat 48-50 minutes between them.

yes, I would love Gus with Fox, that would be an improved 1st pairing. you guys are massively underrating Gustafsson, he's been excellent this season, miles better than Lindgren. i would be happy with Miller/Gus/Jones on the left side next season.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I like the concept but I don’t like the player. I want someone with better defensive side game to play with Fox.
I think it works if Schneider takes Trouba's spot and Miller grows a spine and they take the hard 5v5 minutes.

It requires Miller to play bigger than a middle schooler which is tough. Kid is just in love with reach/pokechecks.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For the off-season:

Re-sign:
Kakko - 1 year @ $2.4m

Buyout Goodrow

Trades:
To ARI:
Lindgren
To NYR:

To NSH:
Trouba
To NYR:

Signings:

View attachment 834636
Jones?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
His QO is 2.4m, he will get at LEAST that, probably more.
Remember, if there’s no deal, he can ask for a two year arbitration award. That takes him straight to UFA.

For the off-season:

Re-sign:
Kakko - 1 year @ $2.4m

Buyout Goodrow

Trades:
To ARI:
Lindgren
To NYR:

To NSH:
Trouba
To NYR:

Signings:

View attachment 834636
You are taking a playoff team and making them a bubble team with that defense.

Gustafsson contract won’t happen here or anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad