Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Drury might actually be decent at trade deadlines getting players that the team needs to fill out properly; unless, he is completely hamstrung by Dolan screaming about some star power crap.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Drury might actually be decent at trade deadlines getting players that the team needs to fill out properly; unless, he is completely hamstrung by Dolan screaming about some star power crap.

For sure. Even last year, Tarasenko, Mikkola and Motte(x2) were all good fits for what we needed. The mishandling of the Kane acquisition was on Dolan, Drury, Gallant and the players. Dolan and Drury for facilitating it, and the coach and players for thinking their Messiah had arrived.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
For the off-season:

Re-sign:
Kakko - 1 year @ $2.4m
Gustafsson - 3 years @ $3m per season
Wennberg - 4 years @ $3.5m per season
Schneider - 2 years $1.75m per season

Buyout Goodrow

Trades:
To ARI:
Lindgren
To NYR:
WSH 2nd '24 + NYR 2nd '25 + NYR 3rd '25

To NSH:
Trouba
To NYR:
Lauzon + Glass + TB 2nd '24 + NSH 3rd '24 + COL 3rd '25

Signings:
Brenden Dillon - 2 years $3.75m per season
Dylan Demelo - 4 years @ $4m per season

View attachment 834636
not a fan of Dillon with Fox. I would like a true top pairing and a strong top4. I can't see them signing Dillon or DeMelo for the same price Lindgren would command.

KAM Schneider Fox are 3 of the top4. We need to get Fox a long term partner that could provide some offense.

depending on how things play out, I can see things staying the same.... Maybe Jones Trouba as a '3rd pair'. Status quo.

We'll see how things go in the Playoffs.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
not a fan of Dillon with Fox. I would like a true top pairing and a strong top4. I can't see them signing Dillon or DeMelo for the same price Lindgren would command.

KAM Schneider Fox are 3 of the top4. We need to get Fox a long term partner that could provide some offense.

depending on how things play out, I can see things staying the same.... Maybe Jones Trouba as a '3rd pair'. Status quo.

We'll see how things go in the Playoffs.

I don't love Dillon on the top-pairing but I also don't love Lindgren there. I agree the team needs to find a long term solution to that spot but there really isn't one available this offseason with a reasonable acquisition cost. Dillon would be a stop gap for me

Reactions: Alluckks

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I don't love Dillon on the top-pairing but I also don't love Lindgren there. I agree the team needs to find a long term solution to that spot but there really isn't one available this offseason with a reasonable acquisition cost. Dillon would be a stop gap for me
mobility is the name of the game. Dillon will be a Nemeth 2.0 imo

Chychrun still makes the most sense to me. He'd cost assets, maybe a 1st. People are rightfully worried about his injury history... but the potential/upside is phenomenal. He's stayed healthy this season. He was healthy over the covid seasons. He said he worked on it and it looks good so far this season.

Chychrun Fox
KAM Schneider

now... what you do with the 3rd pair is the big question. Jones, Gus, Lindgren, Trouba +UFA? I'm more inclined to keep Lindgren over Trouba, cap and mobility being the main reasons.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Chychrun still makes the most sense to me. He'd cost assets, maybe a 1st. People are rightfully worried about his injury history... but the potential/upside is phenomenal. He's stayed healthy this season. He was healthy over the covid seasons. He said he worked on it and it looks good so far this season.

Chychrun Fox
KAM Schneider

now... what you do with the 3rd pair is the big question. Jones, Gus, Lindgren, Trouba +UFA? I'm more inclined to keep Lindgren over Trouba, cap and mobility being the main reasons.

I REALLY don't want to give up major assets for Chychrun who very well could hit UFA at years end. Now when he hits UFA? I'm game.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In that case, why not just keep Lindgren on a 4-year deal with a limited NTC? He can be moved when we find a long-term option.

Logistically, trading Lindgren and replacing him with a UFA isn't as easy as it may seem.

Reactions: Kendo

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Dillon would have been a decent pick up before his last contract. Not so much now.

Demelo is good though if you're looking for 4-6 help. Might be too expensive but he's pretty solid across the board.

Still think that the clear moves are to boot Lindgren, slide Trouba down (unless you can boot him too) and move Schneider up to Trouba's spot.

At minimum, you're looking for a Fox partner and half a bottom pair. Jones is going to get burn in this league but I doubt it's here.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
imo Wenn is a stopgap only
he does not have enuf offensive skill to do top 6, and 3rd line is also pushing it

imo = higher end 4th line
3 yrs at 3 per zero protection

8 yrs, graduated increases
Wennberg was playing 2C minutes(19 a game) with Seattle. He's a fine add at 3C and hopefully they can resign him especially with Chytil's uncertain future.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
the out of left field move would be Theodore, if Vegas is forced to make a move because of their cap

Jacob Middleton or Mario Ferraro are likely to be available as well.

In that case, why not just keep Lindgren on a 4-year deal with a limited NTC? He can be moved when we find a long-term option.

Logistically, trading Lindgren and replacing him with a UFA isn't as easy as it may seem.

My thought process is:

Trade Lindgren for assets
Sign a UFA that can fill the same slot for the same money but not need as long of a deal

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Wennberg was playing 2C minutes(19 a game) with Seattle. He's a fine add at 3C and hopefully they can resign him especially with Chytil's uncertain future.

Wennberg is a priority for me. Incredibly smart player and passer. He allows the big wings on that line to battle down low while he covers the opponents escape as the high forward. He can be the 3C next year and if Chytil returns at any point, one of them can easily shift to the wing. Wennberg has been around a long time (most likely playing above his capabilities) but I was nt truly familiar with his game. I stand by the Michael Nylander comp from the other day.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
your representations are accurate
Howev, I don't get the vibe that he can handle the part of the puzzle as to contributing sufficiently on offense

for that reason, prefer he be a part of superior/elite 4t line and just get a better C to pivot betw Cuylle + KK

the out of left field move would be Theodore, if Vegas is forced to make a move because of their cap
this could be interesting
depending on cost

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
My thought process is:

Trade Lindgren for assets
Sign a UFA that can fill the same slot for the same money but not need as long of a deal
I get that, but I don't think it's that simple.

Trading Lindgren prior to signing Dillon is risky, because Dillon may not sign with us. Trading Lindgren after signing Dillon will likely reduce Lindgren's value, because other teams will know we need to move him. It also limits our time/opportunity to move him. Other teams may have already solved their defensive issues through trade or free agency by the time Dillon signs.

You also have to consider that Lindgren is a pending RFA with 1 RFA year left. Buchnevich was in that same exact situation and look at what we got for him.

Maybe if we were to trade for Dillon's UFA rights, sign him, and trade Lindgren all by the draft, it would mitigate those concerns, but I don't see it happening.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
X-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-X

That’s the template for the defense. I think it’s unlikely Trouba and Lindgren are both moved, so I think Lindgren would be the preferred choice to stay, move out Trouba and either re-sign Gustafsson or sign a guy like DeMelo. That gives the Rangers more cap space and flexibility and I don’t think it hurts us at all.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
If Wennberg is resigned I’m either moving Chytil to RW or moving him for a LD. Maybe his upside and uncertainty is equal to Chychruns.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island

Chychrun Fox
KAM Schneider

I love Chychrun. I do worry about the injury history but he is on the cusp on being an impact player. I’m not sure how to accommodate him though given the current top 6 and Jones waiting in the wings. Check back with me after the playoffs.
I thought the Tarasenko trade was a master stroke. Good value, fair price. I would have much rather had him use the remaining money to add some sandpaper rather than Kane. That was the killer.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I love Chychrun. I do worry about the injury history but he is on the cusp on being an impact player. I’m not sure how to accommodate him though given the current top 6 and Jones waiting in the wings. Check back with me after the playoffs.
It would have to mean one of Lindgren or Trouba are moved. Like you said, it will become more evident after the Playoffs.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I get that, but I don't think it's that simple.

Trading Lindgren prior to signing Dillon is risky, because Dillon may not sign with us. Trading Lindgren after signing Dillon will likely reduce Lindgren's value, because other teams will know we need to move him. It also limits our time/opportunity to move him. Other teams may have already solved their defensive issues through trade or free agency by the time Dillon signs.

You also have to consider that Lindgren is a pending RFA with 1 RFA year left. Buchnevich was in that same exact situation and look at what we got for him.

Maybe if we were to trade for Dillon's UFA rights, sign him, and trade Lindgren all by the draft, it would mitigate those concerns, but I don't see it happening.

I have tp assume that based on the UFA pool, there will be quite a few teams looking for defensive help who can't allure UFA's that would be open to a trade for Lindgren. Arizona being one of them. So even if they signed Dillon, or Demelo or someone like that, the worst case scenario would be to tell teams he's available but they don't need to trade him. Worst case is Jones is the #7 to start the season.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I thought the Tarasenko trade was a master stroke. Good value, fair price. I would have much rather had him use the remaining money to add some sandpaper rather than Kane. That was the killer.

Do we beat the Devils if we had a player like Hathaway playing with Trocheck and Kreider instead of Kane? Ive asked myself that. That guy is a force in tight checking games. Ancient history now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This would be an A+ move.
Been advocating for this since the Hanifin trade. If Hanifin is extended something is going to have to give over there. If you can get Theodore for like what they were offering for Guentzel-ish, that’s the move you make because it moves everyone down a pair

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I can see Goodrow and Lindgren going to San Jose for Sturm and Ferraro.

I can also see Kakko going for picks/other young player.

Wennberg is good, but I think Ros might be the one they keep, if they keep someone.

Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Ros/Othmann
Cuylle-Chytil?-Berard
Vesey-Sturm-Edstrom/Rempe/Brod

Ferraro-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Trouba
Scanlin

Damn man. I like that team. Might be the meanest team in the league. Black and Blueshirts? Nope. The Big Bad Blushirts. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad