Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalLimbo

May 27, 2019
Exactly this. In some sense, and while I know it's an unpopular subject, Kakko plays a similar style where his point totals don't show it, but he effects the game positively.

From past iterations, guys like Fast, Stralman, Hagelin were other examples
I agree. And we should save some money because the points aren’t there. That would be best value case scenario for NYR. But, am I minorly concerned with KK’s mindset. It may not happen at all. But if we offer a fair contract based on production, I can see him saying: screw it, I’ll go to UFA in a couple of years - someone will overpay for me and will give more opportunity (even if not completely earned).

And if CD does think that may happen, he does need to think trades and about maximizing any return, and sooner rather than later. I guess we will know in the next year or so.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

This is the kind of analysis that pisses me off because checking line Larry is intentionally ignoring a bunch of shit.

Under those TOI parameters, they're 18th out of 20 in xG%.

xGA, they're 13th/20

xGF? They're 20th out of 20. Very bottom of the barrel.

They're actually our performing their expected goal output as a pair (2.15 per 60 vs 2.05 expected per 60) and HEAVILY outperforming their expected against (1.25 per 60 vs 2.55 expected per 60.)

I know this is going to be met with a bunch of "DURRRR END LINE RESULTS DURR" but the point is that if their actual performance doesn't improve, their end line results are going to start to spike up towards what the expected results are. All this does is tell me that they should thank their goalies for showing up behind them.

I don't know that I'd consider having a pair with Fox on it as the worst pair of all pairs at generating offense with over 700 minutes 5v5 is a good thing either.

It's been 3 games, but they HAVE been better since Trouba went out. I don't know what the correlation is but it's been a thing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
This is the kind of analysis that pisses me off because checking line Larry is intentionally ignoring a bunch of shit.

xGA, they're 13th/20

They're actually our performing their expected goal output as a pair (2.15 per 60 vs 2.05 expected per 60) and HEAVILY outperforming their expected against (1.25 per 60 vs 2.55 expected per 60.)

I know this is going to be met with a bunch of "DURRRR END LINE RESULTS DURR" but the point is that if their actual performance doesn't improve, their end line results are going to start to spike up towards what the expected results are. All this does is tell me that they should thank their goalies for showing up behind them.

I don't know that I'd consider having a pair with Fox on it as the worst pair of all pairs at generating offense with over 700 minutes 5v5 is a good thing either.

It's been 3 games, but they HAVE been better since Trouba went out. I don't know what the correlation is but it's been a thing.

Thanks for laying this out, this matches the eye-test much better

Reactions: Flan the incredible

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
Unfortunately, he’s about to stop being cheap.
He's definitely getting a raise. I think if they can sign him to a 6 year deal for $30 mil that would be good for both parties. That is term and security, with a substantial raise, and will take him to an age where he can sign another big contract.

If at worst he's a middle 6 forward, that is a huge shutdown presence, who can chip in offensively, and is on one of the best third lines in the league, for $5 mil that sounds fair with a Cap that goes up slowly but surely. It also is a good gamble for a guy that could continue to project into a nearly (or even) PPG player.

That's my hope for Kakko.

xGA, they're 13th/20

Helluva post. I love Lindy for all the same reasons everyone else does, but ignoring his decline this year in front of us would be negligent on Drury's part.

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
Lolwut

I could understand, respect, and agree with a SSS argument, but to take the position that possessing the puck - which is what corsi is supposed to measure - is somehow not relevant is weird.

These are the stats that kickstarted the analytics revolution in hockey, and the teams that are good at them usually win a lot. The Rangers have generally been an outlier in this regard due to going on 2 decades of sparkling goaltending, but LAK, CHI, and TBL certainly all proved the concept of the value of those stats.

Fwiw, before tonight, Rempe had a 50% corsi and a small + corsirel, but was much worse in fenwick.
I understand their origin, not that it has any bearing on its usage today…they’re primitive and have been replaced with better models such as expected goals.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I REALLY don't want to give up major assets for Chychrun who very well could hit UFA at years end. Now when he hits UFA? I'm game.
I don’t really want him at all tbh….
He’d be a PP2 QB… he’s had his stretch’s where he’s impressed no doubt, but he’s oft injured…..
I don’t want a chytil on D with a 5 mill cap hit…. I don’t want to give up the assets it will cost to acquire him…..
I don’t like that he’s never played on a winner…..
I think he’d be a bad partner for fox as well. If they got him, he’d likely be paired with Schneider imo….
And I don’t trust a kAm-fox pairing either tbh

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don’t really want him at all tbh….
He’d be a PP2 QB… he’s had his stretch’s where he’s impressed no doubt, but he’s oft injured…..
I don’t want a chytil on D with a 5 mill cap hit…. I don’t want to give up the assets it will cost to acquire him…..
I don’t like that he’s never played on a winner…..
I think he’d be a bad partner for fox as well. If they got him, he’d likely be paired with Schneider imo….
And I don’t trust a kAm-fox pairing either tbh

He's not even a PP QB. He's a guy who plays in the right circles taking one timers. That's why in his career he has 25 PPG to 32 PPA which is an extraordinarily high ratio for a defenseman. By extraordinarily high I mean it is literally the highest PPG : PPP ratio of any active dman in the league since he debuted (min 10 ppgs)

80shockeywasbuns

Feb 12, 2022

xGA, they're 13th/20

1710442207473.gif

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If Miller/Schneider keep playing like this for the next 7-10 games I just hope the coach realizes it and puts Trouba on the third pair with Gus. Not sure how much that's gonna help but at least you have Miller/Schneider as a pretty good mobile big 2nd pairing. 90 percent it won't happen tho.
He’s the captain. It won’t happen.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014

xGA, they're 13th/20

Could it be that its not Trouba and new additions at the trade deadline? Not sure how Trouba would factor into defense pairings when he isn't on the ice with them as opposed to the new forwards who are.

Great analysis though. Thank you

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
He's definitely getting a raise. I think if they can sign him to a 6 year deal for $30 mil that would be good for both parties. That is term and security, with a substantial raise, and will take him to an age where he can sign another big contract.

If at worst he's a middle 6 forward, that is a huge shutdown presence, who can chip in offensively, and is on one of the best third lines in the league, for $5 mil that sounds fair with a Cap that goes up slowly but surely. It also is a good gamble for a guy that could continue to project into a nearly (or even) PPG player.

That's my hope for Kakko.

Helluva post. I love Lindy for all the same reasons everyone else does, but ignoring his decline this year in front of us would be negligent on Drury's part.
Best case…Best Case if he has a great playoffs is the Chytil contract. Not getting 6 years from Drury unless he’s making a buck two eighty.

Reactions: redwhiteandblue

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
That is yr opinion, to which y9ou are entitled, not a statement of fact.

Let’s try Jonathon Quick on the wing too. He can play there when he’s not in the net.

Zibanejad is the number one center on this team, a position which he’s paid to play and has played his entire adult life. Switching him to right wing is a complete fantasy and that IS a statement of fact.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
He’s the captain. It won’t happen.
What does it have to do with anything? There’s been captains playing bottom-6 forwards even 4th line, as well as 3rd pair D. If Laviolette asks it to make the whole team better as a captain Trouba should be embracing this role.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad