Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I don't really agree. I don't think Gus should be making 4m. Zac Jones aint perfect, but he's shown he belongs at this point and provides many similar traits. I like the depth Gus brings us, but he's 3rd pair D for us. We need those 3rd pair D to be under 3m a year. Just like we need our bottom 6 to be under 3m a year as well -- See Barclay Goodrow. It's just the nature of roster construction nowadays.

Also, Stralman was far better in his own zone than Gus and made far fewer gaffs.

If we can bring back Gus on a short 2 year deal at under 3m, I'd consider it. But I'm not too excited about going over 2m for him.

And I was a huge Stralman fan and was really ticked when we let him walk.
This….
I know lots love Gus. He’s having a real solid season….
But don’t forget, he benefits greatly from playing in Lavs system prior…
For the rest of the D it’s all their 1st year running it…
Gus had a great year or 2 with hawks, then Calgary gave him a big deal and regretted it…
He’s a 3rd pair system guy, that can fill up in a pinch and not look out of place.
Having him in top 4 with heavy minutes against other teams best won’t go well.

It’s also not good cap management to spend 4-5 mill on any 3rd pairing player. You pay the horses…
The guys who play top minutes and largely all situations.

Odds are they’ll sign a vet for 2.5-3mill per and run him with a young player/prospect that’s making his way up.
That’s how a majority of the league does it.

I would love him to stay on a manageable deal because he’s been excellent all year for us….
I think he’ll be exposed in a prolonged top 4 role though

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
yes, I would love Gus with Fox, that would be an improved 1st pairing. you guys are massively underrating Gustafsson, he's been excellent this season, miles better than Lindgren. i would be happy with Miller/Gus/Jones on the left side next season.
That LD would get mauled physically.
Not to mention playoff hockey..
They’d be searching for a large body by the all-star break

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
i mean this is just wrong. Miller is 6'5 and Gus is not small or soft.
No it’s not. Being tall or big doesn’t make you tough.
A huge reason I’d be concerned about a miller-Fox pairing is I can see someone roughing fox up after the play and miller skating the other way pretending not to see.
We’ve already seen jones have his problems with bigger more physical teams….
And there’s proof that Gus gets exposed when playing top 4 minutes over his head. While not small, no one is going to mistake him for a tough guy.

Lindgren has more toughness in his toes then all 3 combined I’d wager

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
No it’s not. Being tall or big doesn’t make you tough.
A huge reason I’d be concerned about a miller-Fox pairing is I can see someone roughing fox up after the play and miller skating the other way pretending not to see.
We’ve already seen jones have his problems with bigger more physical teams….
And there’s proof that Gus gets exposed when playing top 4 minutes over his head. While not small, no one is going to mistake him for a tough guy

so why didn't they get a big man this season then? Lindgren gets his ass handed to him weekly.

Reactions: tiggles

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
so why didn't they get a big man this season then? Lindgren gets his ass handed to him weekly.
With what $$$
Because you have
Lindy-fox
Miller-Trouba
Gus-Schneider

A pretty balanced group.
While Lindgren is smaller in size, he plays a tough game.
Has he had a great year? No.
I have no clue if some injuries are affecting him more than normal, but he’s a warrior.
Not in same bracket as the other 3.

Say they move Lindy… what’s the alternative with limited cap???
There’s a reason NYR got Gus to sign so cheaply in the offseason…..
I’m not writing Lindgren off at 26 after having his 1st truly poor year.
His body of work is better then Gus in everything besides height and offense

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
yes, I would love Gus with Fox, that would be an improved 1st pairing. you guys are massively underrating Gustafsson, he's been excellent this season, miles better than Lindgren. i would be happy with Miller/Gus/Jones on the left side next season.
Whoever “you guys” are my position has remained that Fox absolutely doesn’t need help as a 1st pair D offensively. He’s been a PPG player even with about 10-15 games where he was far less than 100% coming back. What he needs is freedom or peace of mind that he will be covered on the defensive side if he makes a risky play. This is where Gus is actually deficient and it would be limiting Miller’s talents. Lindgren took a step back this season and this started last season when Lindgren hurt his shoulder. IMO he was perfectly fine before then. The idea to move on from him is that his cap cost could rise significantly AND his eventual decline already started.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Remember, if there’s no deal, he can ask for a two year arbitration award. That takes him straight to UFA.

You are taking a playoff team and making them a bubble team with that defense.

Gustafsson contract won’t happen here or anywhere else.
True, and they can extend him July 1st after the first year. My point is he’s not taking a 2million AAV contract but he shouldn’t break the bank.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Once Kakko files for arbitration, it’s the team that gets to decide for 1 year or 2 years. The player doesn’t get to file for arbitration, and also say if he wants 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: bhamill

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Wasn’t that in his d+1 whereas Schneider did it in his d-1.
Yeah. They are 6 months apart, so Robertson was drafted at a median age, while Schneider was basically the oldest possible in his draft class. They effectively entered the W at the same time, and if Schneids was born 3 weeks earlier, they would have been drafted the same year too.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The team has ample money for Wennberg if they so choose. He also isn't going to be getting ~$4-5m per season. Likely $3.5-$3.75m over 3-4 years
imo Wenn is a stopgap only
he does not have enuf offensive skill to do top 6, and 3rd line is also pushing it

imo = higher end 4th line
3 yrs at 3 per zero protection

Lock Rempe up for 7 yrs a 1 mill per.

Half is going back to the league in fines anyway.
8 yrs, graduated increases

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Remember, if there’s no deal, he can ask for a two year arbitration award. That takes him straight to UFA.

You are taking a playoff team and making them a bubble team with that defense.

Gustafsson contract won’t happen here or anywhere else.

I’ll just disagree on the defense getting markedly worse without Lindgren and Trouba and with Demelo and Dillon

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Gustafsson already put Fast and Jarvis on their asses tonight, took a run at Svechnikov. Gus is 6 foot, 200 pounds... I have no idea why he's getting billed as undersized and soft.

Reactions: UnSandvich and CLW

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
General comment about Lindgren. The thing with him is he has had a down year, yes, but his track record spanning multiple seasons is steady. You don't throw that away especially with how much he means and what he brings to the team in general. Not yet anyway. It needs to be a much larger stretch of reduced quality of play. More than one season, and certainly more than half a season. He has been excellent the last few games here and I expect that kind of play and focus out of him the rest of the season.

On the other hand, what we are witnessing from this team with Trouba removed from the lineup is interesting to say the least.

Reactions: deathb4disco

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
General comment about Lindgren. The thing with him is he has had a down year, yes, but his track record spanning multiple seasons is steady. You don't throw that away especially with how much he means and what he brings to the team in general. Not yet anyway. It needs to be a much larger stretch of reduced quality of play. More than one season, and certainly more than half a season. He has been excellent the last few games here and I expect that kind of play and focus out of him the rest of the season.

On the other hand, what we are witnessing from this team with Trouba removed from the lineup is interesting to say the least.
Plus, a lot of Lindgren’s struggles was cause Fox wasn’t right. Mel would be the first to admit it.

The anti-Lindy crowd are a weird bunch.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Yes a few. I’ll be honest and say I don’t watch 40 games of there’s a year. I’m looking at aggregate data and some watching of their games. Pretty much what 95% of this board does!
You can’t rely on analytics. Dillon and DiMelo are both 4-5 types. Both are having good years this year but neither is a strong first passer. And both are older than Trouba.

Best way to get a line on a player is watch 4-5 games in a row and if possible watch games against tough matchups.

Living in Arizona, I have a big advantage because most Ranger games are over by 7 and then I can watch a west coast game.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Lindgren is going to cost them a playoff series this year.

yes you do. You can’t give him a raise. It’s economics at the point. Even if he didn’t have all the damage on him, that’s a really lousy bet to take.

Plus, a lot of Lindgren’s struggles was cause Fox wasn’t right. Mel would be the first to admit it.

The anti-Lindy crowd are a weird bunch.
The anti-Lindy crowd understands that the salary cap exists. The pro Lindy crowd doesn’t want him to go because they’d miss having a guy who bleeds every game

Anyone healthier available? I want them to go all in for a 1 LD this summer.
I’d be looking at Provorov. Think you need to keep an eye on Shea Theodore too with Vegas cap situation

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Lindgren is going to cost them a playoff series this year.

yes you do. You can’t give him a raise. It’s economics at the point. Even if he didn’t have all the damage on him, that’s a really lousy bet to take.

The anti-Lindy crowd understands that the salary cap exists. The pro Lindy crowd doesn’t want him to go because they’d miss having a guy who bleeds every game

I’d be looking at Provorov.
Nobody is saying give him an 8 year deal. And for his role on the team he's gonna be relatively cheap. Because points schmoints. Lock him up and you are getting the Fox/Lindy synergy for free.

Josh Manson contract seems about right.

Reactions: egelband

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Nobody is saying give him an 8 year deal. And for his role on the team he's gonna be relatively cheap. Because points schmoints. Lock him up and you are getting the Fox/Lindy synergy for free.

Josh Manson contract seems about right.
I’m not giving him the Josh Manson deal. That is way too much term for a guy that has taken that much damage and is declining. We have too many other cap problems to lock into a deal like that. Four more years with a no trade, for a guy that has taken that kind of damage? Absolutely not.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I’m not giving him the Josh Manson deal. That is way too much term for a guy that has taken that much damage and is declining. We have too many other cap problems to lock into a deal like that. Four more years with a no trade, for a guy that has taken that kind of damage? Absolutely not.
Four years is basically almost over once in starts.

• Haha
Reactions: jerseyjinx94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad