Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Or an “elite” player apparently.
I’ll take a first liner who doesn’t disappear in the playoffs.
If you say you just want a better player, fine.

The idea that we would dump Panarin and use his salary to overhaul the roster shows a misunderstanding of where player value is at right now.

Filip Chytil has broken 30 points once, a career high of 45, and just signed for an AAV of $4.4m. Once upon a time, we got rid of Carl Hagelin and Anton Stralman for commanding salaries in that range.

The era of 11.6 getting you a bunch of good players is over.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

The idea that we would dump Panarin and use his salary to overhaul the roster shows a misunderstanding of where player value is at right now.

Filip Chytil has broken 30 points once, a career high of 45, and just signed for an AAV of $4.4m. Once upon a time, we got rid of Carl Hagelin and Anton Stralman for commanding salaries in that range.

Fair enough.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
What about Ritchie and Kassian as PTOs? Maybe Believeau too. One or Two of these guys as some muscle in the twilight zone between Hartford and NYC If the kids are not ready.

• Haha
Reactions: EdJovanovski

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

You’re just making shit up now.

If we had that cap space available a month ago we could have signed Bertuzzi, Duchene and Hathaway. This is a list I just came up with without even thinking about it, so I’m sure some more optimal combination is out there.

Reactions: RGY and Ned Braden

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You’re just making shit up now.

If we had that cap space available a month ago we could have signed Bertuzzi, Duchene and Hathaway. This is a list I just came up with without even thinking about it, so I’m sure some more optimal combination is out there.
We're a worse team with those three instead of Panarin.

Reactions: EEL

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
If you really wanted Duchene, we could have had Duchene if we didn't have Goodrow on the books.

Not having Trouba is Duchene and Bertuzzi.

Not having a f***ing salary cap is all five of them!

Salaries skyrocketed and the cap ceiling never reflected it. It sucks for everyone. It doesn't just suck for us because we have Panarin.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Low key a few guys who I would still have interest in:

Nick Ritchie
Adam Erne
Max Comtois
Austin Watson
Tyler Motte (lol he did it to himself again)
Nick Holden
Joel Kiviranta

Specifcially, I would see if someone like Erne would take the Vesey route

Reactions: surlysailor

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We're a worse team with those three instead of Panarin.
Ok. I disagree but that’s a separate argument. You said that you can’t overhaul a roster with $11.5M.

This off-season showed that you absolutely can. Star salaries have skyrocketed and everyone else has to bite the bullet. The cap and NHL economics have very much caused roster construction philosophy to be brought to the forefront. We signed Blake Wheeler to a minimum deal FFS.

I think it’s very questionable that having the highest paid player in the league on your roster is even a good thing. I think it’s beyond question that having the third highest paid player, who performs more like the twentieth best player, is a bad thing.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ok. I disagree but that’s a separate argument. You said that you can’t overhaul a roster with $11.5M.

This off-season showed that you absolutely can. Star salaries have skyrocketed and everyone else has to bite the bullet. The cap and NHL economics have very much caused roster construction philosophy to be brought to the forefront. We signed Blake Wheeler to a minimum deal FFS.

I think it’s very questionable that having the highest paid player in the league on your roster is even a good thing. I think it’s beyond question that having the third highest paid player, who performs more like the twentieth best player, is a bad thing.
It is certainly beyond question whether having a top 20 player is a bad thing. We agree there.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
We are a good enough team as constructed to win a cup, we just need to put the players where it benefits the team instead of individual players.

3. Panarin, Chytil, Wheeler a mix of everything here, Chytil has the wheels and can be first on forecheck or the hard back check and the vets provide the smarts and some help for a kid learning to play.
So when do we think the training wheels should come off for FC? I mean is it 7 or 8 years. Geez the guy has been in the league for 5+ years and he is still learning.? For a first round pick he should already understand the game. Time to put up or shut up with this guy.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not to disrupt the list of names on recommend but my strong preference if NYR were looking for another forward would be someone who could actually skate at an above average level.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Goodness. The offseason, namely the dog days of late July through August, does weird things psychologically. I understand there's a level of reset that needs to happen before a new season. But he sucks. I'd be thinking of a way to jettison him every single day. He does get off the hook so easily. I don't care if he shaved his head trying to be Walter Panarin. Maybe it's blind hope, like the passes to the middle that he makes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

Does this organization ever learn? What is a guy who played all of 37 career games in the NAHL going to be able to teach professional athletes?

He's only somewhat less qualified than Jed Ortmeyer and Tanner Glass. Hmura, Ciaccio, Ortmeyer, Glass. How about surrounding our players, especially our young players, with guys with actual track records of success? I'm not asking for Wayne Gretzky here, but how about a MODICUM of success? "Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym...or hockey."

Eh, whatever. At least we have Housley and Peca. Those are the real prizes. But our poor, poor prospects.

Last edited:

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
You dont need to be an ex-NHL player with success to be deemed a good skills coach.

There are a plenty of ex-semi pro and pro players turned coaches who excel at understanding how to teach. Thats a skill unto itself. Also, some of the best power skating coaches are ex-figure skaters and/or women who never played hockey.

If Muse hand-picked Hmura then he's probably really good at what he does. Judging by his website he's got a successful development process, is well respected and HAS had success at what he does. You dont need NHL stats to back that up. He's also younger than Ciaccio and may identify easier with the younger players, Laf, etc.

No doubt we needed a change in this position and we got one. At least the Rangers are identifying this as an area they need to improve upon. Lets see how this guy does.

With that said - get Lafreniere to this dude ASAP

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad