Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Surely it's the skills coach. Chris Kreider scored 52 goals purely via the power of positive thinking and metamucil.

Probably the most bizarre quirk this board has.
Guy having a career year under Gallant’s first season.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Vesey deserves a look in the top 9. We were a better team when he played up, before we brought in Kane to enable and embody every bad thing about this team.
I’m of the opinion that line chemistry needs to be the number 1 factor in setting lineup. This team has looked disjointed a lot the past few seasons and it’s due in part to there being a lack of flexibility in the lineup due to chemistry. Panarin can only play with certain players, Kakko can’t play with Panarin because they both need the puck. Laffy, Kreids arent comfortable on their off wing. List goes on and on. Our lineup is so finicky. Very not interchangeable under previous 2 coaches. I’m hoping this changes. Otherwise some big moves (which are hard to make) will become a necessity. To circle back, yeah Vesey made Tro and Panarin combo look the best because he played a Fast-like role on that line.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I’m of the opinion that line chemistry needs to be the number 1 factor in setting lineup. This team has looked disjointed a lot the past few seasons and it’s due in part to there being a lack of flexibility in the lineup due to chemistry. Panarin can only play with certain players, Kakko can’t play with Panarin because they both need the puck. Laffy, Kreids arent comfortable on their off wing. List goes on and on. Our lineup is so finicky. Very not interchangeable under previous 2 coaches. I’m hoping this changes. Otherwise some big moves (which are hard to make) will become a necessity. To circle back, yeah Vesey made Tro and Panarin combo look the best because he played a Fast-like role on that line.

I actually think Kakko would be great with Panarin. Panarin-Strome-Kakko was one of the best lines we've had in the last decade, and Kakko was learning very quickly how to play away from the puck and put himself in positions to score. Then literally just as they really started clicking and Kakko started putting up numbers, Gallant broke them up and never put them together again.

I'm not anti-Gallant, but that decision was one of the most inexplicable things I've seen any coach do.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I actually think Kakko would be great with Panarin. Panarin-Strome-Kakko was one of the best lines we've had in the last decade, and Kakko was learning very quickly how to play away from the puck and put himself in positions to score. Then literally just as they really started clicking and Kakko started putting up numbers, Gallant broke them up and never put them together again.

I'm not anti-Gallant, but that decision was one of the most inexplicable things I've seen any coach do.

Kaako doesn't work with Panarin because Kaako is a player who also needs the puck and Panarin just flat out refuses to pass to the RWer on that line. The expectation was for that player to retrieve pucks and then get out of the way.

Panarin-Chytil-Vesey
Kreider-Trochek-Kaako

That's what it should be. Panarin has a shooter with him at center and a player who can retrieve pucks and cover for him defensively. Kaako plays on a line with a couple of guys who generally would prefer to be around the net but are okay having someone else pass pucks to them then be the passer.

That leaves:

Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Wheeler

Last edited:
Reactions: doming07

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kaako doesn't work with Panarin because Kaako is a player who also needs the puck and Panarin just flat out refuses to pass to the RWer on that line. The expectation was for that player to retrieve pucks and then get out of the way.

Panarin-Chytil-Vesey
Kreider-Trochek-Kaako

That's what it should be. Panarin has a shooter with him at center and a player who can retrieve pucks and cover for him defensively. Kaako plays on a line with a couple of guys who generally would prefer to be around the net but are okay having someone else pass pucks to them then be the passer.

That leaves:

I like those other two lines.

I hate absolutely every possible combination with Lafreniere in it. I wonder what the common denominator could be there.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Put Laf on the right hand side of Panarins line.

Wanted this for a while now. Panarin-Chytil-Laf

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf had one of the best rates of creating offense of any line that played together for this team last year.

They also gave up as much as they created.

For a team that struggles to do anything 5v5, maybe thats the way to go.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

No patience has been shown with Kakko on any of the lines hes been on - except for the kid line

Pretty much every combination he's been put into he's had a good stretch of games and the line performs well not only to the eye test but metrically as well. And maybe he had trouble finishing plays but the line wasnt giving up much defensively. Then it would get broken up.

So frustrating because there were a lot of lines, like the one you mention where he looked like he was ready to break out and he was prevented. The leash was always way too short with Kakko.

Defensively he was an absolute mess his rookie year and then did a complete 180 under Quinn in year 2. Both Quinn and Galant jerked him around and never afforded him a longer leash that he earned

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Panarin-Trocheck-Laf had one of the best rates of creating offense of any line that played together for this team last year.

Gallant breaking up any line that did anything interesting to go back to the same groan-inducing bullshit was a significant problem.

The cherry on top of the shit sundae was reuniting Panarin and Kane which, honestly, was never as good as people remember it being at 5v5.

In 2015-16, Panarin and Kane both shot an even 16%. Give them normal shooting and they are what they were in 2023.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Panarin-Chytil-Vesey
Kreider-Trochek-Kaako

That leaves:

don't know about it being #1, but it certainly, no ?, is up there. After all, poorer the chemistry the harder everything else needs to overcome for success to prevail.

Ef bread and his effin prima donna attitude.
He'll fuggin pass to the open man wherever that is and like it

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't have a problem with this hiring. A lot of fans talk about wanting above average skating. Well, that's something players should be focusing on prior to getting drafted. It boggles my mind how they get through elite levels without ever really thinking about leg day to increase their bottom mass, or work on explosiveness through strides. From what i've seen from, he's got a good personality to get through to younger players, and he doesn't shy away from focusing on skating techniques. He's a pretty good skater himself.

EDIT: Didn't realize 2 pages went by..

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Surely it's the skills coach. Chris Kreider scored 52 goals purely via the power of positive thinking and metamucil.

Probably the most bizarre quirk this board has.

Why did he stop taking Metamucil last year? Or at least not take as much?

It's funny, I was watching American Ninja Warrior last night and thought who on the Rangers could even finish the course let alone beat some lanky 16-year-old who could traverse it in a little over a minute. I thought Kreider would be the only one. And then I pictured Laf just flat-out struggling to get by the first obstacle of jumping side to side on the landing squares because of his bad foot work.

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gallant breaking up any line that did anything interesting to go back to the same groan-inducing bullshit was a significant problem.

The cherry on top of the shit sundae was reuniting Panarin and Kane which, honestly, was never as good as people remember it being at 5v5.

In 2015-16, Panarin and Kane both shot an even 16%. Give them normal shooting and they are what they were in 2023.

They shot 16% in 2015-16 because they were better and they set up each other in places where it was going to be hard NOT to score. The chemistry and everything was real (not some Strome-Panarin myth) but neither guy was what they were back then, especially Kane.

Was one of the reasons I didn't want Kane. I knew it was going to be a thing and would be given a chance to be a thing for way longer than it needed to be. I was surprised that it got broken up at all tbh.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014

Their biggest issue was Igor/Halak not being able to stop a beach ball at the beginning of the season. Gallant had no business changing the lines around so early into the season, but it was his default move for anything he thought was wrong with the team. They were dominating teams to start last season and then Gallant decided they weren’t good enough defensively and it fell off a cliff from there

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Why did he stop taking Metamucil last year? Or at least not take as much?

It's funny, I was watching American Ninja Warrior last night and thought who on the Rangers could even finish the course let alone beat some lanky 16-year-old who could traverse it in a little over a minute. I thought Kreider would be the only one. And then I pictured Laf just flat-out struggling to get by the first obstacle of jumping side to side on the landing squares because of his bad foot work.
You can say the same thing about most NHL rosters. If you're not training that, you're going to struggle. It's not just a NYR roster.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
You can say the same thing about most NHL rosters. If you're not training that, you're going to struggle. It's not just a NYR roster.

Would you agree that it would be great off-ice training to complement on-ice skills development?

It's sad when a turtle displays more curiosity about a gym than Laf:

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Would you agree that it would be great off-ice training to complement on-ice skills development?

It's sad when a turtle displays more curiosity about a gym than Laf:

If we're being honest, no, I don't think this would be great off-ice training. Can it improve balance and utilize core strength your body isn't use to using? Absolutely. But training like this in the offseason is not going to be easy on the body and chances are you're taking away from more important off-ice training for an NHL player, because you're not going to gain anything from doing this twice a week for an hour, except strains, ligament tears, and other injuries that will probably carry into the season.

You're asking somebody to train 3 + hours a day, several times a week for months. That time is better served doing other off-ice training/weights/skating for a player like Laf, and most players in general. (Now Laf not doing that is another story..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad