Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
No idea what's going on in Detroit right now.

They just dealt Gibson for a 2nd+Kiiskanen, which was a headscratcher, then used that 2nd to dump Walman, who by all accounts is a pretty decent D.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt that there was no market for Walman.

They had a deceptive amount of cap space, because Raymond and Sieder both need extensions, and they have lots of roster spots to fill.

My guess is that Raymond will cost 8M to extend long term, Sieder could cost 8M-10M. Sanderson and Power both extended early (Power only got 7 years). If Sanderson waited, he'd go for more than he signed for. Especially with the cap rising, I could see 9M+ for Sieder.

Considering they would still need to fill around 8 roster spots, and they also may want to make improvements to the team, that wouldn't leave a lot of cap space to work with above the 900k or so it costs to fill those spots.

Certainly, this makes the Ullmark/Korpisalo trade look really good.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I will give them the benefit of the doubt that there was no market for Walman.

They had a deceptive amount of cap space, because Raymond and Sieder both need extensions, and they have lots of roster spots to fill.

My guess is that Raymond will cost 8M to extend long term, Sieder could cost 8M-10M. Sanderson and Power both extended early (Power only got 7 years). If Sanderson waited, he'd go for more than he signed for. Especially with the cap rising, I could see 9M+ for Sieder.

Considering they would still need to fill around 8 roster spots, and they also may want to make improvements to the team, that wouldn't leave a lot of cap space to work with above the 900k or so it costs to fill those spots.

Certainly, this makes the Ullmark/Korpisalo trade look really good.

But why not just buyout Husso/Holl/Chariot if cap space was needed so badly?

You waste assets to dump bad players like Zaitsev, not guys who earn their money.

Very questionable moves from Yzerman today. Great for us though.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
That Walman trade makes zero sense.

Even if Yzerman wanted to clear cap space, Walman definitely has positive value, why give up a 2nd to dump him?

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010

Even if Yzerman wanted to clear cap space, Walman definitely has positive value, why give up a 2nd to dump him?
He clearly doesn’t have positive value or Yzerman wouldn’t have done it. Sometimes there’s a disconnect between how GMs see players and fans do. For all we know there could be off-ice stuff that drove his value down.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison

It's a pretty good deal for the player. It shows you how this league is, that you can underperform your way into making more money.

By my count, he loses a bit over 7M of his remaining salary since his contract was front-loaded. With 3 years left on the contract, he doesn't have to sign for much to end up making a bit more.

I guess you can make the argument that staying in Buffalo might have been better because he isn't getting a NMC and could end up bouncing around between different teams over the next few years.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
No idea what's going on in Detroit right now.

They just dealt Gibson for a 2nd+Kiiskanen, which was a headscratcher, then used that 2nd to dump Walman, who by all accounts is a pretty decent D.

Walman was very good in 2022-23, he struggled this season but was deployed way over his head, which seems to be the problem... No idea why they spent to dump him, only had 2 years at a reasonable 3.4 AAV

And the prospect swap... they'd have to be quite high on Gibson to spend a 2nd and a recent 3rd

Weird stuff

A bit reminiscent of when we traded Connor Brown, middle of summer, low market when teams didn't have dire needs. Even worse because we traded Brown on July 13th, Detroit traded Walman just before free agency. No a great look

Sure Walman dropped a lot this season but it's also contextual

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Another headscratching decision from a divisional rival. Have to love it.

Skinner was not good this season but the Sabres have 23.5M in cap space already with only bottom of the lineup players to re-sign + Luukkonen.

Now they'll have 30M in cap space with little to spend it on. Will probably end up sitting on some cap space like Nashville did last season after buying out Duchene, and when they will most need cap space after their young players on ELCs need new contracts they'll have 2.5M in dead cap for 3 years.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
The best theory I have heard about the Detroit trade is that Detroit smuggled a 2nd to San Jose for the Rangers, and the Rangers will compensate Detroit in a trade they are working on.

Any trade between the Rangers and Sharks would likely be scrutinized because of the Goodrow waiver claim.

• Haha
Reactions: bicboi64

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yzerman is out here wilding. Walman should've at least gotten them a later round pick, but even if they want to make cap space, buy out Hollo instead of paying to move Walman who is better than Holl. The Wings almost made the playoffs, but they still aren't a team that can afford to piss away 2nds lol. Walman will be a good placeholder on SJS for one of their prospects to have to beat out at a fair cost.

If Buffalo buys out Skinner, they will make the playoffs because of the Skinner curse. Skinner doesn't do much aside from score goals around the hashmarks. He sucks in his own end, isn't a good playmaker, not an elusive skater or puck possession guy, but he has a good shot. Can totally see him signing for a team like EDM where McJesus will get him to 40g or something.

That Vancouver trade is kinda annoying. If we didn't have more immediate needs at RD for which we need full cap flexibility, I'd have wanted Ottawa to make that trade. Mikheyev has speed that we could use in our middle 6 and PK, even if he has Erik Condra level hands. Getting a 2nd would've been nice and even Lafferty could've been useful for us on our bottom 6.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Pierre LeBrun was on TSN Overdrive today and he said he was talking to an NHL GM and the GM said he estimates that 30% of players are not interested in playing for a Canadian team in the NHL. LeBrun said he thinks that number is a little high but who knows. But it is probably somewhere around 25 to 30%. So they went on to say that Canadian teams are fighting an uphill battle.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Pierre LeBrun was on TSN Overdrive today and he said he was talking to an NHL GM and the GM said he estimates that 30% of players are not interested in playing for a Canadian team in the NHL. LeBrun said he thinks that number is a little high but who knows. But it is probably somewhere around 25 to 30%. So they went on to say that Canadian teams are fighting an uphill battle.

And the proliferation of NTC/NMCs is just reinforcing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad