Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Yes. By a lot.

The criticism of Panarin in the playoffs is warranted and does hurt the team a lot, but his regular season was super underrated. He was still one of top 5 most creative players in the league 5v5.

If you replace him with two Trocheck's, this team is bad. Straight up bad. They wouldn't even be in the race.

If you take Panarin off this team and don't replace him with a better LW, they finish bottom 5 in scoring and 32nd at even strength.
You say this as though it is undisputed fact. You have no idea how two players with different skill sets might affect the performance of the lineup as a whole.

Panarin is a fine regular season player but he doesn’t even earn his contract if you ignore the horrific playoff performances. He’s the third highest paid player in the league FFS, and clearly in decline.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You say this as though it is undisputed fact. You have no idea how two players with different skill sets might affect the performance of the lineup as a whole.

Panarin is a fine regular season player but he doesn’t even earn his contract if you ignore the horrific playoff performances. He’s the third highest paid player in the league FFS, and clearly in decline.
It is an undisputed fact that he's still one of the most effective wingers in the league.

It wouldn't be moving a cooked Gaborik to round out our depth. That team had Rick Nash and insane depth after the trade. It would be removing the only player opposing defenses have to give a single f*** about.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's a trend. Not a good one, but a trend.

But as for Panarin, two things can be true...

1) He's the 2nd most important player on the team (behind Fox) and hasn't been able to find himself in the postseason here.

2) He's played his best hockey of his career here with the Rangers, albeit under lower pressure conditions.

So how do you, as a coach, fix this?
Don't you start with me too.

I'm telling you the sun is coming up in the morning by telling you Panarin is a world class player.

How would I fix it if I had the power to try? Improve the team's performance.

Again, we're pretending one player is the problem when the whole team can't play hockey against playoff competition.

Saying "we limp past the Devils with our 37% xGF if Panarin scores a couple of points" (and perhaps that's true) is easier than facing the fact that we played like that, and did last year too.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I can't tell if this is Panarin or a Russian convict that had been enlisted to Wagner, paroled after combat and now decided to hit the ice as a free man. Such a weird look lol.
ezgif-1-ad05918b97.jpg

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I like the two Trocheck's idea. Let's look at that top 9.

Shithead-Zibanejad-Trocheck
Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler
Trocheck-Chytil-Kakko

Riveting stuff. I need a cigarette.
Orrrrrrr, we could use actual players who have signed recently for half of Panarin’s cap hit:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Lafreniere-Trocheck-Buchnevich
Tuch/McCann/Kadri/Gourde/-Chytil-Wheeler

At the time, and surely in hindsight, I would have much rather traded Panarin and kept and signed Buchnevich. Return would have been better and we’d still have the player on the upswing in a position of need.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
At this point, if we aren't trying to build a team that can be successful in the playoffs, then we're doing it wrong. Panarin could win the Hart this year, but if he's still curling off on the rush and gently shoveling pucks to the centre of the ice in the playoffs, then that's a completely empty 11.6M at the most important time of the year.

At that cost, his numbers shouldn't be completely predicated on how the team plays, he should be a huge force in moving the needle all on his own.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I have no issues with Panarin himself, the team would barely make the playoffs without him and would be worse without him, no doubt. My issue is the 11.6 million cap hit. If he was making around say what Mika is making wouldn’t be so critical of his playoff performance since he was far from the only one who didn’t show up.

But his cap hit sticks out like a sore thumb and that is where the concern is. Love the player and what he brings just hate the contract.

We have to stop going after these big free agents and overpaying them. But as long as Dolan is still owner the culture won’t change.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The talent is alright it’s just that our skilled guys are all relatively one dimensional in the way they play the game.

Kreider needs to recapture his vertical threat side of his game, Panarin needs to relearn to attack occasionally from the boards in, and Zibanejad needs to shoot directly off the carry with greater frequency. Fox needs to use more of the ice surface than he’s currently comfortable with

Our skill guys have become very predictable in their approach- and it makes us very easy to play against.
Lot of truth in that reply .

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
View attachment 733673

One additional view (from the top, no less). He looks like he changed his name to Boris, smokes a pack a day and is already retired and training the future generation of Russian hockey.

Not sure about anyone else but….I’m so confused…

How can he have that hairline while having the head of hair he had this past season…?

You can go that seemingly bald that fast

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Not sure about anyone else but….I’m so confused…

How can he have that hairline while having the head of hair he had this past season…?

You can go that seemingly bald that fast
IMG_5704.png

He had a pretty high forehead and you can’t really tell how much the temples may have been receding already because the bangs covered it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad