Roster Building Thread: Part VII (2023-24)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
kreids-and-mika-from-the-charity-game-yesterday-v0-ee5c0l32nagb1.jpg

Panarins going Messier bald…Kreider looks 40

matt-damon.gif

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Zegras of Bedford, NY who does not have an extension in place sitting between Goodrow, Kreider and Zibanejad???

Let the rumors fly baby. Lafreniere and Zegras as starting points; we only have to add 500% more.
would you add 24?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I like the two Trocheck's idea. Let's look at that top 9.

Shithead-Zibanejad-Trocheck
Kreider-Trocheck-Wheeler
Trocheck-Chytil-Kakko

Riveting stuff. I need a cigarette.
I only see Lafreniere (shithead) on 1 line, are you intentionally trying to suppress his point totals? He needs to play on every line and both PP units if we want him to reach 50 points.

I can't tell if this is Panarin or a Russian convict that had been enlisted to Wagner, paroled after combat and now decided to hit the ice as a free man. Such a weird look lol.
View attachment 733635
The norwood reaper f***ed him up damn

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We are a good enough team as constructed to win a cup, we just need to put the players where it benefits the team instead of individual players.
1. Imo we need to stop with the Zib as a shut down center stuff firstly, let Trochek take that on, him Kreider and a maybe Vesey.
2. With Zib freed up a bit, put the kids with him, Laf and Kakko, let him drag them along and help them as they grow.
3. Panarin, Chytil, Wheeler a mix of everything here, Chytil has the wheels and can be first on forecheck or the hard back check and the vets provide the smarts and some help for a kid learning to play.
4. Grind line, Bonino(or whoever is best at camp), Goodrow, Cullye, two vets to help the kid along.
5. The Pk...less Kreider Zib and add Kakko and Trochek, Goodrow Chytil as two pairs, Vesey can be used too. Kreider and Zib can go late in a game or period if we need a goal.
6. The D... I'd love to find a way to get Lindgren with Scheider as a Staal/Girardi early years type of shut down pair, just have them play that style, more physical and in your face though, not sure given our make up that's possible. Does Gustafson and Trouba work? I dunno.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Blake Wheeler is a tailor made winger for Kreider and Zibanejad stylistically. Better start getting ready for it.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
Orrrrrrr, we could use actual players who have signed recently for half of Panarin’s cap hit:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kakko
Lafreniere-Trocheck-Buchnevich
Tuch/McCann/Kadri/Gourde/-Chytil-Wheeler

At the time, and surely in hindsight, I would have much rather traded Panarin and kept and signed Buchnevich. Return would have been better and we’d still have the player on the upswing in a position of need.

Not only is that a playoff team without Panarin, it’s a better lineup for playoff hockey.

The “not a playoff team without Panarin” claim is disingenuous because the only way that’s even maybe true is if you swap him out for an ELC replacement player. It’s not a real discussion when re-spending his cap on other really good players.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Not only is that a playoff team without Panarin, it’s a better lineup for playoff hockey.

The “not a playoff team without Panarin” claim is disingenuous because the only way that’s even maybe true is if you swap him out for an ELC replacement player. It’s not a real discussion when re-spending his cap on other really good players.
That’s how I feel. Many disagree. Who knows who is right.

I am pretty confident, though, that if we said for the sake of argument that if Buchnevich was on the Sabres, Buffalo would definitely not trade him plus Tuch for Panarin.

Reactions: Ned Braden and bbny

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Coming from him, I smell bullshit.

I don't believe he can play with a chip on his shoulder. He will politely remove it and gently place it on a shelf never to be used again.

Same with Mika and Panarin.

Chip on their shoulder.....ha.
The chip will fall off his shoulder as he jumps out of the shallow end of a pool

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Oilers hire Jeff Jackson as CEO of Hockey Operations. Jackson was once Connor McDavid's agent (and a former NY Rangers player briefly in the 1980s). Oilers want to sign him long term (Duh!). Team sucking/not making deep playoff runs likely influences his decision more than hiring his ex-agent. He's not winning a Cup there in near future; not with that roster. Goaltending and defence issues. Capped out, or not far from it without deleting big salary.

Brody Van Jeff.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
$2,278,417 in projected cap space.
Only 1 RFA left to sign.
I guess Laf wants more. Interesting to see what gives here
That number reflects a 23 man roster. Send down Mackey and Belzile and we have $3,828,417.

So there is some wiggle room for Laf. He and his agent are no doubt waiting to see what other players get in the hopes that they can use those numbers in their negotiation.

There are 13 non-arb RFAs still to be signed:

1691362909674.png

Of particular interest to Laf are Pinto and Frost. All 3 players have roughly the same points per game average for their careers. Laf has played more games and has more total points than the other two. Pinto put up 35 points in 82 games last year, and Frost put up 46 in 81. They are both very comparable to Laf. What they get will no doubt influence what Laf gets, or vice versa, depending on who signs first. That's why none of these players are signed yet. There's no rush on either side to get it done.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
You also have to take into account that scoring has gone absolutely nuclear, a fact that is still somewhat lost in the discourse imo. Laf and Kakko's "solid production for all 5v5" would barely be 20 points adjusted for back then.

I think the Rangers can have a good roster if a lot goes right, and like you said, nobody is tremendous. My thing is that people talk about this roster like it blows you away on paper. It really doesn't.

The other thing is that the only elite forwards are Panarin who everyone thinks sucks, and Kreider in his "elite complement player" sort of way, and he's also heavily criticized. It makes the whole thing feel like double talk to me.
So is our only star forward according to you.

Exactly my point about "the roster is amazing but we hate every player on it" double talk.
2014-15 goals per game were 5.5. 2022-23 it was 6.4. That’s a factor of 0.86 going back. Laf’s 39 points become 33. Suspect power play numbers drove this more than even strength, but let’s assume it was equal for 5v5 and PP. 35 5v5 points becomes 30.1. Nowhere near 20.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I don't think we are past that. If Panarin tears his knee in camp, we don't make the playoffs.
I disagree. Especially if we can LTIR him and bring in 11.6 million of other talent.
But regardless of that, I’d rather miss the playoffs and draft talent at the top of the first than make the playoffs and have our “best” player tank us.
call me insane, but to me, if an elite player is not elite in the playoffs… HE IS NOT AN ELITE PLAYER.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I disagree. Especially if we can LTIR him and bring in 11.6 million of other talent.
But regardless of that, I’d rather miss the playoffs and draft talent at the top of the first than make the playoffs and have our “best” player tank us.
call me insane, but to me, if an elite player is not elite in the playoffs… HE IS NOT AN ELITE PLAYER.
11.6 gets you a couple of third liners in 2023.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad