Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Just retain half. Names at 2 mil is a bargain. Trading him at the deadline makes a lot of sense. Buying him out makes zero sense because part of his cap hit would be on the books the following season.

Retaining or trading him at the deadline Is not as easy as it sounds when we need to clear money to be compliant. Just give him to some team for whatever even a 7th round pick in a week or two after all the FA are gone and we know who has cap space available.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Retaining or trading him at the deadline Is not as easy as it sounds when we need to clear money to be compliant. Just give him to some team for whatever even a 7th round pick in a week or two after all the FA are gone and we know who has cap space available.

Wait why do we need to clear money?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Names isn't great and a bit overpaid but he does have value. I cant see them adding just to move him. You just need a team with some cap space.

And cap space is at a premium, it's also dollars. While I agree that Names doesn't have negative value, the circumstances would indicate otherwise.

Especially when dollars aren't coming back.

I do think the Rangers next move HAS to be dumping Namestnikov, but there is no evidence anyone wants him. If you have to attach a prospect or pick to do it, I am not against it. The crazy thing is neither Sjalin or Ragnarsson are near the Rangers top level of D prospects. I wouldn’t say they are expendable, but if they needed to be included to dump cap, I wouldn’t let that stand in the way either

Yeah I dont have a problem with giving up a LHD prospect with the deal. There's too many of them to even have the playing time they need to develop in the AHL in the next couple of years so it doesn't hurt to capitalize on that to help the Varsity club.

Just good asset management.

I agree. I think Namestnikov gets a 3rd rounder, maybe a low 2nd from a contender if we retain on him.

A 7th rounder is what we can expect for Brendan Smith if the Rangers can find a taker.

I would love a mid rounder. But its a matter of signing Buch and ADA versus that mid round pick for Names or a pure cap dump.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Lots of teams under heavy cap pressure as their RFAs sign. Trade market will be difficult is the general word around the league. The $81,5 M cap ceiling caught many GMs off guard. Math is fun. But not now

Add to that there are still bodies available as UFA. There's gridlock until some of these high profile RFAs get signed.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I think Fast is going to have value as a cap dump. Great contract for the role he plays and should easily garner a 3rd round equivalent.

RH shooting PK option, and reliable 5v5.

There's a deal to be made with Philly for him. I would love Wade Allison, but they won't bite on that.

They've got the cap space and need bottom six players. AV loves Fast as well.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think Fast is going to have value as a cap dump. Great contract for the role he plays and should easily garner a 3rd round equivalent.

There's a deal to be made with Philly for him. I would love Wade Allison, but they won't bite on that.

Fast is still very cheap. His salary isnt the issue.

You try and move Namestnikov first for a 3rd round pick and 4th round pick.

Then see if you can move Smith to a cap floor team with the 4th rounder attached.

That would allow enough money to resign your RFAs and have a little breathing room.

Then maybe look into buying out Shattenkirk

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Adding forwards who can only play physical is a thing of the past. If Zucc can stand up for himself, any sized player can. If a player needs a bodyguard, he is not worth having in today's NHL
One does not need all skill players on the 4th line. If the one thing that you do well (providing you can skate and are not a liability on the ice) is take the body very well, you can have a spot on the 4th line. Ideally your third line has players that combine grit, sandpaper and skill.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Then see if you can move Smith to a cap floor team with the 4th rounder attached.

That would allow enough money to resign your RFAs and have a little breathing room.

Would probably take more than a 4th to move Smith unfortunately. Maybe a 2nd or 2 3rds? I wonder how attractive attaching Lindgren would make it

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019

I dont know how Namestikov and AV feel about each other but that looks like a place he could go without having to take money back.
If Ottawa wasn't so cheap that would be a fit. On the Ranger side I'd settle for a 4th rd pick if I had to. It'll be at the start of the round. Ottawa could probably flip him for a 2nd at the TDL by retaining 50%.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Yeah, no reason to move Fast. He's very cheap. Shattenkirk, Smith, Staal(although it seems that they are immovable contracts right now), or one of Strome, Names, Kreider is a lot more likely to go. Trading Fast doesn't clear enough space anyway, only to get Lemieux re-signed.

This is considering the fact of what Trouba will cost.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I do think the Rangers next move HAS to be dumping Namestnikov, but there is no evidence anyone wants him. If you have to attach a prospect or pick to do it, I am not against it. The crazy thing is neither Sjalin or Ragnarsson are near the Rangers top level of D prospects. I wouldn’t say they are expendable, but if they needed to be included to dump cap, I wouldn’t let that stand in the way either

There is no evidence anyone wants him because I doubt we’re trying to trade him. He doesn’t have negative value and he’s a solid part of this top 9. The Rangers will try to get the right Kreider deal or moved one of the S’s before Names. Moving him is not a priority in my opinion. Yet.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not much of a cap guy so I don't know what the implications are there. Gustafsson intrigues me. Plus he's left-handed so that's Staal out and Fox in. I probably do it.
Cannot do AA for Strome. Let's see what he is first. Let's also find out what our own young LDs can do before we tade for more.

There is also no indiction anywhere that Stall would be out.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is no evidence anyone wants him because I doubt we’re trying to trade him. He doesn’t have negative value and he’s a solid part of this top 9. The Rangers will try to get the right Kreider deal or moved one of the S’s before Names. Moving him is not a priority in my opinion. Yet.
I don't agree with any of this

Reactions: jas and Leetch3

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
About as possible as the earth actually being flat.

upload_2019-7-4_12-26-12.jpeg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Because we’re like 6-8M over the cap?

Don’t worry, Gorton has been taught by the master himself, he can bridge all kids. Then eventually sign a few of them to long term deals that takes them long passed their prime. Will work wonderful (this time)... Not. ;)

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Buying out Shattenkirk solves the cap constraints imo. Buy him out and send Smith down- that's $6M in space.

I don't see Fast as an issue, and he's a value add. But at this stage of the game- he would bring actual value back out of all of the trade options.

The buy-out for Shattenkirk hurts next year- but it's absorbable. Net addition to dead space next year with a Shattenkirk buyout would be ~$2.5M with Girardi's hit coming down. The optics of a $5M dead hit does sting, and it will prevent another UFA signing. So there are some things to consider.

IMO there's no value for Kevin until he proves to add some value on the ice. Coming into camp out of shape- then getting beat left and right... that's not going to get any team interested.

Did the Rangers mishandle his injury during his first year? Yeah. But I view the Shattenkirk as a last resort buy-out.

I'm not saying I'm against it, but other options need to be explored first.

I dont know how Namestikov and AV feel about each other but that looks like a place he could go without having to take money back.
If Ottawa wasn't so cheap that would be a fit. On the Ranger side I'd settle for a 4th rd pick if I had to. It'll be at the start of the round. Ottawa could probably flip him for a 2nd at the TDL by retaining 50%.

Not sure, I mean he was pretty bad under AV. 19 games 1 goal and 1 assist. He was bad for a month under Quinn before really adjusting and playing well the rest of the way. It's a the $4M number that hurts.

If you are taking contract back- then I can see it working out for Names. But the Rangers aren't in the position to do that, and I don't see too many buriable one way deals from teams with cap space to make off-setting the actual costs work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad