Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I get the feeling that EDM is going to play Broberg & Bouchard as a pair. AHL to start and then move them up.

They'll be rushing prospects again, but if that pair holds up, that would be tremendous for EDM.
Yah, I had the same thought re: rushing prospects. Broberg is one of the more unpolished players in the draft IMO, he needs to simmer. 2 years in Sweden, 1 year in the AHL is probably what a normal organization would shoot for for him.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Don’t worry, Gorton has been taught by the master himself, he can bridge all kids. Then eventually sign a few of them to long term deals that takes them long passed their prime. Will work wonderful (this time)... Not. ;)

this is assuming bridge deals for ADA, lemieux and buch....we have $8-9 mil in space...trouba will get 7.5-8 mil. which leaves virtually nothing for the other 3. if with bridge deals its gonna cost about $15-16 mil to sign those 4 guys. so we are short 6-8 mil

Reactions: QJL

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I could see the following scenario play out. Still doesn't give the Rangers a 4th line option that's proven or reliable, and same with PK upfront.
  • Names goes as a cap dump with a LHD prospect. -$4M
  • Fast goes to AV for a 3rd & 2020 7th + another conditional 2020 7th.
  • Shattenkirk & Smith are mentoring kids in HFD or "Re-Habbing"
  • Rangers hold onto Kreider till the deadline- cash in on a 1st and a prospect, or straight up 2020
Kreider-Zibs-Kakko. Size-Speed-Skill. Power Forward options 5v5 nightmare, all play the PP. Zibs PKs.

Bread-Howden-Kravstov. Bread lead the best rush offense in the NHL last year. You give him two north south forwards with size that can create space and tee off timers. Howden acts as the back-checking defensive prences. Kravstov is a gifted passer, as is Bread. They can both crank it. A set up like this has worked for Bread in Chicago & CLB. It also maximizes two kids offensively. Howden is also good on face-offs, and allows Quinny to run plays off of faceoffs. Bread & Kravstov play the PP. Howden PKs.

Chytil-Strome-Buch. Buch and Chytil have chemistry. I think a 3rd wave of size, speed and offensive skill is going to create offensive mismatches. Strome acts as a playmaker and defensive presence for the two. I think this line could be a defensive liability, so it will be up to the coaches to keep preaching hard backchecks. That said, I think this unit can attack off the rush and cycle well enough to generate a bunch of shots. Have Buch and Chytil drive hard to the net, and you'll get 2nd and 3rd chance offense. Chytil & Buch are on the PP. Strome PKs.

Lemmie-Lias-O'Regan. Probably the riskiest line. What version of Lias are we getting? I think playing with Lemmie helps Lias out. I saw a more passionate and engaged Lias next to Lemmie. Lias played with a chip on his shoulder, and was effective on the forecheck as a pestering option. I also think that Lias might be beyond the AHL level at this stage in terms of ability, but hasn't found a role in the NHL. Lias needs to embrace a two-way checking role where he gets in guys faces. Really hope he has a great off-season of training and comes in stronger with an extra step. I want to see Lems embrace being a pest, but come into camp maybe 10-15 pounds lighter to skate faster and longer. I think O'Regan will surprise. He's going to play the role of coach's boy. This is a heart and soul guy who gives it his all, and has killed penalties before. He had a great first year pro as an all situations center. I'm hoping he can be a poor man's Luke Glendending. Lias and Father O'Regan are on the PK.

McKegger. Keeps the taps full.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yah, I had the same thought re: rushing prospects. Broberg is one of the more unpolished players in the draft IMO, he needs to simmer. 2 years in Sweden, 1 year in the AHL is probably what a normal organization would shoot for for him.

Not EDM. Key words being a normal organization. Broberg has a lot of tools to make you think he's going to be a very effective NHLer. If he hones in on his defensive game- he's got Ryan McDonagh potential. But you're right- he's far from that at 18.

Reactions: McCartney

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
this is assuming bridge deals for ADA, lemieux and buch....we have $8-9 mil in space...trouba will get 7.5-8 mil. which leaves virtually nothing for the other 3. if with bridge deals its gonna cost about $15-16 mil to sign those 4 guys. so we are short 6-8 mil

We have to trade CK and Names/Strome at full pop or consider buying someone out. Not worried. I’m sure Gorton has a number of scenarios in mind.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
We have to trade CK and Names/Strome at full pop or consider buying someone out. Not worried. I’m sure Gorton has a number of scenarios in mind.

Trading Names & buying out Smith also works. Smith buyout saves $3.3M & costs the ~same as Girardi's 2019 buyout next year +$1.1M in dead space.

If you trade Names to EDM for Manning, you effectively clear another $3M by burying Manning.

A pure dump of Names is what's needed.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Staal/Shatty/Smith/Names/Strome/Kreider

2-3 have to go depending on who and retained $. We need about 7 mil to be safe.

Smith doesn’t have a market ans is prob better as a buy out vs a 50% retention (970k vs 2.175 mm). That’s approx 3.3 saved.

Staal isn’t going anywhere unfortunately

so what it comes down to is either trading Kreider which gets us clear or Shatty at 50% and Names or Strome at about 25% retained. I prefer the latter:

Pan Ziba Kakko
Kreider Chytil Krav
Lias Howton Buch
Lemmy Names/Strome Fast

Skjei Trouba
Hajek ADA
Staal/Rykov Fox

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Leaning more and more towards moving Names and buying out Shattenkirk. That would get them to where they need to be.

Although I think they can convince a team to take on Smith with something attached.

Shatty's BO for next year is basically the full value of his contract.

Like aside from the fact that he sucks more than everyone else on D, buying out Staal makes the most sense if we're buying out anyone at all.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I posted a long Non-Buyout option earlier.

But if the question is to have the best team going into the year, along with the best trade deadline capital- while not crippling your cap next year.

It's a Names trade & a Smith Buyout.

You can even have $1M in space coming back in a Names trade to make it work.

Reactions: dapowl

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I know we have plenty of LHD but why do you insist on adding them to Names? Names is movable without a sweetener.

I don't get it either.

There was trade interest in him at the beginning of last year when he was struggling. Why there wouldn't be any in him with out a sweetener with only a year left on his deal is a head scratcher.

Reactions: jas

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Leaning more and more towards moving Names and buying out Shattenkirk. That would get them to where they need to be.

Although I think they can convince a team to take on Smith with something attached.

Buying out Shattenkirk is just not an option. It would help us this year, but would cripple the peak of this team which should start next year. A buyout would results in a $6.083m cap hit next year. $1.433m in each of the following two years. We just can’t have that.

I’d move Shattenkirk at 50% and a 2nd round pick for a bag of pucks before considering a buyout.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Trading Names & buying out Smith also works. Smith buyout saves $3.3M & costs the ~same as Girardi's 2019 buyout next year +$1.1M in dead space.

If you trade Names to EDM for Manning, you effectively clear another $3M by burying Manning.

A pure dump of Names is what's needed.

Send a player to the AHL doesn't bury all of their salary. It only covers part of it, which is adjusted every year. I think it currently only covers around $1MM on the contract.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’d more more inclined to trade Kreider, Namestnikov and Fast for minimal cap coming back and just replace them I internally rather than buy anyone out this season. Just not a smart long term decision. I’d even move Strome if needed. I really don’t see this season as one where they contend so extending the pain of these contracts in order to gain a little cap flexibility this season seems like a bad decision.

Reactions: Barnaby and Leetch3

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Send a player to the AHL doesn't bury all of their salary. It only covers part of it, which is adjusted every year. I think it currently only covers around $1MM on the contract.

yeah sending a guy down only clears $1.075 mil which becomes virtually nothing if you need to replace that guy with another player

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
they are the section labeled "FORWARDS" :naughty:

I only get this lol;

upload_2019-7-4_20-11-47.png

Nvm now the entire article is there.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
yeah sending a guy down only clears $1.075 mil which becomes virtually nothing if you need to replace that guy with another player

In Smith's case, he wouldn't need to be replaced.

Which is why buying him out is a dumb idea. There is money to be saved there just by waiving him.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Cannot do AA for Strome. Let's see what he is first. Let's also find out what our own young LDs can do before we tade for more.

There is also no indiction anywhere that Stall would be out.
Probably a nothing player like he's always been. He was scoring on 1/4 shots with the Rangers.

You're about Staal though. They would just sit Gustafsson or Hajek to keep giving Staal huge minutes like they always have. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad