Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Yet another horrible dman gets a decent deal with Chiarot 3-10.5 but somehow with retention we can’t get rid of Staal smith or Shattenkirk

Chariot played top 4 for WPG next to BUF. They were a decent pair, but my thought is that MTL thinks they can get the same output by pairing him next to Weber.

Still a poor set-up but that might be the underlying logic.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Minnesota doesn't have enough forward bodies capable of playing NHL minutes. You still have a few free agents out there that they can sign.

But they've got cap space, and only have Kunin who is a forward prospect that can step in (Kaprizov's staying in Russia).

The Rangers can't have all of those defensemen in the system. They'll need to incent a team to take a contract.

You can sign Buch & Trouba with that space off the books.

You'd still need to move another piece to make ADA fit.

Just Kreider along isn't going to do it.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Minnesota doesn't have enough forward bodies capable of playing NHL minutes. You still have a few free agents out there that they can sign.

But they've got cap space, and only have Kunin who is a forward prospect that can step in (Kaprizov's staying in Russia).

The Rangers can't have all of those defensemen in the system. They'll need to incent a team to take a contract.

I understand the rationale, but I don't think Namestnikov is at the point where he has negative value.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
I could see a Names to Minnesota trade with one of the defense prospects and the Rangers get picks in return.

Names + Ragnarrson/Sjalin

for

2020 7th round pick.
Names isn't great and a bit overpaid but he does have value. I cant see them adding just to move him. You just need a team with some cap space.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

I do think the Rangers next move HAS to be dumping Namestnikov, but there is no evidence anyone wants him. If you have to attach a prospect or pick to do it, I am not against it. The crazy thing is neither Sjalin or Ragnarsson are near the Rangers top level of D prospects. I wouldn’t say they are expendable, but if they needed to be included to dump cap, I wouldn’t let that stand in the way either

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
I hope we can get a Vesey like return for Names, but I wouldn’t surprised if we had to make a trade like that.

A 4M cap hit for a guy like that is steep, even for one year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The Rangers problem contracts are:

Shattenkirk
Staal
Namestnikov

In that order.

Smith at 4.35 is actually not an issue.

Those three above MUST get moved so that we can sign all of our guys.

Buyouts are not options as the 2nd year cap hit just make fitting everyone in next year as big a problem as it is today. More so since now guys will have been signed to contracts.

Buyouts absolutely are options. Yes, the 2nd year of Shatty's buyout goes up by 4.6 mil, but we've got 3.325 mil in dead cap coming off the books (Girardi's cap hit drops by 2.5 mil and Beleskey will be gone). All of our RFAs this year should get at least 2 year deals, I would think, so none should need to be re-signed next summer. That leaves Kreider, Names, Strome, Fast and Georgiev as players who may need to be re-signed next summer. Some of those players will be traded either this summer or next. If either Names or Strome are re-signed, either might end up signing for less than they are getting now, depending on how they do this year. If worst comes to worst, then one of those players is allowed to walk. It would be tight, but doable.

Other players are much better buyout options at this point. Staal's 2nd year cap hit is only 800k higher than it is this year. Given his NMC, our only options to get rid of him are buyout or wait out the contract. Strome could be bought out too. He's only 25, so the cap hits would be less. If we bought out Staal and Strome, we'd save 5.467 mil this year. Next year, our dead cap would only increase by 900k total for those 2 players, while dropping by 3.325 for Girardi/Beleskey. The net savings would be 2.425 mil next year.

Yes, it would be far better to trade Kreider and Shatty will no money retained or cap coming back, but that is looking increasingly more difficult to accomplish. From what we've heard, there was no interest in Shatty even with 50% retained. That could change, but I'm not holding my breath. And which team is giving up a 1st+ for Kreider's full cap hit when there are still guys like Dzingel, Johansson and Ferland available as free agents?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I understand the rationale, but I don't think Namestnikov is at the point where he has negative value.
Look at what the Rangers got for Vesey. That’s probably around what they can expect for Namestnikov. He should be movable since his contract is expiring, but there is minimal value there. Rangers also don’t have a ton of leverage because teams know they have to move him sooner than later

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Look at what the Rangers got for Vesey. That’s probably around what they can expect for Namestnikov. He should be movable since his contract is expiring, but there is minimal value there. Rangers also don’t have a ton of leverage because teams know they have to move him sooner than later
I agree. I think Namestnikov gets a 3rd rounder, maybe a low 2nd from a contender if we retain on him.

A 7th rounder is what we can expect for Brendan Smith if the Rangers can find a taker.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Strome almost outscored Anisimov last season getting less TOI. He’s younger, and an RFA after this season. He’s also cheaper. Why in the HOLY HELL would we trade Strome straight up for Anisimov, let alone add a 2nd?? I liked Artem, but you guys have really got to let these players go. Unlike your trading cards, they age and degrade. Anisimov could only be a 3C for us at this point, and we have a number of those. He’s not playing with Panarin.
I suggested the 2nd *for* Strome. Rather than AA.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree. I think Namestnikov gets a 3rd rounder, maybe a low 2nd from a contender if we retain on him.

A 7th rounder is what we can expect for Brendan Smith if the Rangers can find a taker.
I think all the dead wood defenders are negative value, but they will all be movable as expiring contracts next offseason. This actually works out okay for Rangers in the long term, as they don’t need to rush Miller, Nils, Robertson, etc. buys them at least another year of development.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Strome is a good stop gap. There are two things the Rangers need to do in between now and 2020 trade deadline. First they need to cut cap. Then They need to figure out if their 2C is on the roster. Strome can hold this down temporarily while Chytil/Lias/Howden/Kravtsov see if they can handle that role. If not, the Rangers certainly have trade assets to go get one.

Reactions: Cag29

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Lots of teams under heavy cap pressure as their RFAs sign. Trade market will be difficult is the general word around the league. The $81,5 M cap ceiling caught many GMs off guard. Math is fun. But not now

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yet another horrible dman gets a decent deal with Chiarot 3-10.5 but somehow with retention we can’t get rid of Staal smith or Shattenkirk
The ridiculous mindset of NHL executives in a nutshell. Unless the Rangers are asking for a good return for them I don't understand how it's so hard to move either

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Is the Rangers offer sheeting Marner beyond the realm of possibility?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Yeah the 3 S's are huge issues.

And I'd rank them as such

Staal
Staal again
Staal a third time
Shattenkirk
No Shatty actually goes here after Staal part 4
Smith
I'm in the minority but Shattenkirk isn't even an issue IMO. If Fox needs to play in the NHL move either he or ADA to the left and tell Staal to take a seat.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lots of teams under heavy cap pressure as their RFAs sign. Trade market will be difficult is the general word around the league. The $81,5 M cap ceiling caught many GMs off guard. Math is fun. But not now

This is what worries me and why I think it’ll be impossible to move namestnikov at 4 mil. Way to expense for a garbage player and he is garbage don’t @ me.

I still think he may be a buyout candidate

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
A name that hasn’t been brought up at all is Jesper Fast. UFA at years end. Makes $1.85m this season. Perhaps Gorton and co think Nieves and McKegg could replace what he brings for half the cost. If so, I would think there would be a market from contending teams for his services. It’s a smaller move, but could open up about a million dollars assuming the player replacing him makes ~$850k

I think Fast has value, but ideally I would like to see a physical 4th line RW on the cheap that can come in PK. Both Nieves and McKegg were tweeners last year. I don't see Boo as a NHL option. McKegg played well in the playoffs. He might be a gem, but the last 5 years suggest he's a tweener as wel.

But with that said- trading Names & Fast solves the Rangers cap issues.

Reactions: Cag29

darko

Feb 16, 2009
This is what worries me and why I think it’ll be impossible to move namestnikov at 4 mil. Way to expense for a garbage player and he is garbage don’t @ me.

I still think he may be a buyout candidate

Just retain half. Names at 2 mil is a bargain. Trading him at the deadline makes a lot of sense. Buying him out makes zero sense because part of his cap hit would be on the books the following season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad