Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
The Rangers problem contracts are:

Shattenkirk
Staal
Namestnikov

In that order.

Smith at 4.35 is actually not an issue.

Those three above MUST get moved so that we can sign all of our guys.

Buyouts are not options as the 2nd year cap hit just make fitting everyone in next year as big a problem as it is today. More so since now guys will have been signed to contracts.

I'm willing to take pennies on the dollar for Shattenkirk. Gimme a 5th/6th/7th rounder for him and hes yours.

Same with Namestnikov

Going to have to bite the bullet on these guys to make room

A Kreider trade is going to have to return picks or bury-able prospects

Reactions: mschmidt64

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
My take on a Kreider deal is that Gorton is getting experienced on the market, he is not ‘auctioning’ off Kreider to the highest bidder but has set the price to a 1st and a solid prospect. Like the Hayes trade. Of course the value of the pick and prospect vary, but they are two corresponding containers so to speak, and the value of both must not be too low (ie an expected late 1st and only a so-so prospect).

Obviously Gorton has been in contact with potential suitors, and nobody has met the price, neither now nor at the draft. There might still be a little dust left to settle from the UFA flurry, but unless final negotiations are going on as we speak or in the coming days, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gorton can accomplish very little from now until the deadline. Unfortunately. There is of course some windows that opens during the season with teams finding needs, but they won’t be many.

It is just how the land lies. A bunch of teams are trying to offload contracts. Almost everyone have contracts they want to dump. We are in that situation too after the Panarin trade and it will take years before Gorton can partake in discussions involving him taking on any term. That is an instant conversation killer vis-a-vis like 75-90% of the GMs.

I dearly hope I am wrong, but I don’t think Namestnikov has much value around the league. He is darn skilled but he plays with his head under his arm, can’t at all value situations in-front of him on the fly. Our pro-scouts who scouted him must be the same guys who worked on Etem and co., they don’t see these things, obviously. GMs aren’t doing each other any favors. It’s like the Girardi buy-out. Instantly after getting bought out there is interest in him, before there are none. You wanna bet that Shatty will get more as a bought out player than at 50% retention?

Brooks has reported that Gorton won’t retain 50% AND take back bad money. But I hope something can be done there however. That we can find someone with term that makes more sense than Shatty who is like the worst imaginable fit for us. Too bad Gorts didn’t realize that while Shatty still had while and it’s just sad that nobody around the team did either and could push him in the right direction. Just SAD.

Actually, @Edge disclosed on Steve and Greg’s Under Review podcast that Namestnikov had surprisingly quite a bit of interest around the league.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A team like Edmonton would be a good spot for Namestnikov. They need a 3C that contrasts their top-2 in McDavid and RNH and Names would be a good option for them. And he can slide to wing if needed should they decide to move Draisatl to center for a small amount of time. He has a proven track record of being a good support player to highly skilled liberates and does the little things to make a line successful.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Actually, @Edge disclosed on Steve and Greg’s Under Review podcast that Namestnikov had surprisingly quite a bit of interest around the league.

Correct. Several teams are interested in Namestnikov, and part of that is because of his performance in Tampa. GMs see that he plays really well with high-end players and can chip in with goals while adding some defense to that line.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Correct. Several teams are interested in Namestnikov, and part of that is because of his performance in Tampa. GMs see that he plays really well with high-end players and can chip in with goals while adding some defense to that line.

So, you've heard this from other sources, too? I want you to also receive credit.

And, any idea what Gorton is looking for? A 2nd? A former failed prospect, such as an Alex Nylander-type?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The Rangers problem contracts are:

Shattenkirk
Staal
Namestnikov

In that order.

Those three above MUST get moved so that we can sign all of our guys.

Buyouts are not options as the 2nd year cap hit just make fitting everyone in next year as big a problem as it is today. More so since now guys will have been signed to contracts.

I'm willing to take pennies on the dollar for Shattenkirk. Gimme a 5th/6th/7th rounder for him and hes yours.

Same with Namestnikov

Going to have to bite the bullet on these guys to make room

A Kreider trade is going to have to return picks or bury-able prospects

I’m thinking they try and deal Smith or Shatty to a team that will send them a 1 yr left buyout like Edmonton and Manning / Gagner

Namestnikov should be an easy move for a pick but if they move Kreider he stays IMO

I’m calling Smith and Namestnikov to Edmonton for a pick and crap contracts to bury and/or buyout

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I’m thinkinh they try and deal Smith or Shatty to a team that will send them a 1 yr left buyout like Edmonton and Gagner

Namestnikov should be an easy move for a pick but if they move Kreider he stays IMO

Unless they move Strome out, I don't see it. I expect both Kakko and Kravtsov to make the opening night roster. The rest of your top 9 is Zib, Panarin, Buch, Chytil, Howden, Lemmy and Strome. Plus you have Lias and Fast. Two forwards likely need to go. Namestnikov is the easier deal to make.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
A name that hasn’t been brought up at all is Jesper Fast. UFA at years end. Makes $1.85m this season. Perhaps Gorton and co think Nieves and McKegg could replace what he brings for half the cost. If so, I would think there would be a market from contending teams for his services. It’s a smaller move, but could open up about a million dollars assuming the player replacing him makes ~$850k

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Unless they move Strome out, I don't see it. I expect both Kakko and Kravtsov to make the opening night roster. The rest of your top 9 is Zib, Panarin, Buch, Chytil, Howden, Lemmy and Strome. Plus you have Lias and Fast. Two forwards likely need to go. Namestnikov is the easier deal to make.

I see what you are saying but that’s 11 bodies .... kinda think w McKegg and Nieves they are thin in depth

I guess In my head if they clear 8 million then they are ok and that’s Names and Smith .

The F Names and Kreider are easier to move than any of those Dmen for sure

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I’m thinking they try and deal Smith or Shatty to a team that will send them a 1 yr left buyout like Edmonton and Manning / Gagner

I’m calling Smith and Namestnikov to Edmonton for a pick and crap contracts to bury and/or buyout

I think Smith and Namestnikov to Edmonton makes sense, but I think they need a bit more offense than what Namestnikov is capable of

Reactions: Vitto79

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Namesnikov obviously benefited from playing with Stamkos and Kucherov. But at the same time, I've seen bad players ruin a line, he didn't do that and there is value in that.

Bingo!

And that's why it would not be crazy for Edmonton to target Namestnikov. He has experience with life in Canada as well, both as a kid and as a teenager later on, so that might make the transition even easier.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We are slowly creeping up to the anniversary of the Zibanejad trade. Perfect timing ;)

It's one of those "Where were you when this happened?" things as a Rangers fan because it was the start of the Gorton era. I was in Berlin, at the Brandenburger Tor. We were having a beer, when a bunch of people DM'd me saying "Brassard traded" and I could not believe it

Reactions: TheKingsCourt

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
A name that hasn’t been brought up at all is Jesper Fast. UFA at years end. Makes $1.85m this season. Perhaps Gorton and co think Nieves and McKegg could replace what he brings for half the cost. If so, I would think there would be a market from contending teams for his services. It’s a smaller move, but could open up about a million dollars assuming the player replacing him makes ~$850k
Neither McKegg nor Nieves can do half of what Fast does, despite being half the cost in terms of cap hit.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Rangers have a bit of a cap thing right now. Probably couldn't afford Artem. I'm sure they could work it out but I don't think he's really what the Rangers need now. Strome to Chicago though could happen. 2nd rounder?
Strome almost outscored Anisimov last season getting less TOI. He’s younger, and an RFA after this season. He’s also cheaper. Why in the HOLY HELL would we trade Strome straight up for Anisimov, let alone add a 2nd?? I liked Artem, but you guys have really got to let these players go. Unlike your trading cards, they age and degrade. Anisimov could only be a 3C for us at this point, and we have a number of those. He’s not playing with Panarin.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon

Pray tell how Smith at 4.35 is not an issue? We could literally insert any ELC player for him and be done with it.
He has to be dealt in some fashion and I fear it will cost us an asset like a pick or prospect.

Nam has to go. Nam @ 4 vs. Kreider @ 4.635 , we keep Kreider. Nam has enough value to get picked up, don't care for the return.

I believe that should suffice. It opens up enough cap to resign the RFAs, I hope.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Hopefully we are talking to Columbus and Buffalo. They both have needs and cap space. We can probably attach a b prospect to Shattenkirk and get another prospect back from Columbus. Their right d is nothing great after Jones.

Buffalo wants a wing and we have various levels available. We have familiarity and conversations off and on.

Problem is they will have their choice of cap casualty from around the league. Other teams are more desperate but also reluctant to give up good players since they are trying to win.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Let’s see if that materialize. Maybe the organization overestimated that interest?

Remember, the organization quite clearly valued Vesey more than Namestnikov last season. Vesey only fetched a 3rd two years down the road. If Names was worth more elsewhere, one would have to believe that he would have been traded before Vesey...

One X-factor is of course if we value Names versatility or impact in the room etc higher now? Value at the deadline? Who knows.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Yeah could be, I thought Fast was the biggest under performer on the team last season. But if he was injured all year, maybe a ‘big’ recovery could be expected?

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
So, you've heard this from other sources, too? I want you to also receive credit.

And, any idea what Gorton is looking for? A 2nd? A former failed prospect, such as an Alex Nylander-type?
If Vesey can return a 3rd,i cant see Vlad not bringing back a 2nd.Or so i hope

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I wish we could’ve gotten Kerfoot that cheap, or have signed him outright.

We’d be just about ready to go if we’d been able to sign Kerfoot and Butcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad