Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yes. When they do. Ovi drilled Brady Skjei over the bench. Did anybody do anything?
Ovi almost killed svechnikov of Carolina. Did anyone make him pay for it? I don’t want to see him pound on KK or Kravstov.

You want to bring in Tanner Glass?

I don't want to waste a roster spot on a guy who gets 3 shifts a game and gets in a fight every 15 games. If you're that worried about an Ovi drilling a Skjel, have Smith level Backstrom or Kuznetsov.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
They will see a massive, massive jump just by adding Panarin, Kravstov and Kakko.

They would see a pretty big improvement on the back end by not playing Staal.

They're gonna look to Panarin. He's going to have the puck a lot this first year, out of the rookies' deference to him because of rookieitis.
I'm looking to ADA's sexy stretch passes to Panarin exploding up ice

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Look, in today’s NHL anything can happen and I will be as excited as everyone else.

But hockey is a team game. You can definitely not put an = between a few talented players and having a good team. It just don’t work that way, if anyone we in NY should know that.

How do you win most games in the NHL? Even those with the best teams involved? You don’t give away much if anything, and play a really consistent disciplined game.

Just look back at previous years, loosing someone like Prust or Dom Moore and the likes have hurt us in the past because we didn’t have a 3/4 line. The fact that we don’t have set working lines and D pairings and special teams is not a “what if”, it’s a fact. Can everything come together? Sure, it don’t take a ton in today’s NHL. But that is a what if.

I'm always surprised how many people worry about the 3/4 line when there is no 1/2 line.

We have the best shot at a good 1/2 line in quite some time. Putting together a 3/4 is light years easier to accomplish.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Could they deal Shattenkirk for a 1 yr bad contract and buy it out ? That’s 2 yrs on the cap right ?

Yzerman wanted him in Tampa

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm always surprised how many people worry about the 3/4 line when there is no 1/2 line.

We have the best shot at a good 1/2 line in quite some time. Putting together a 3/4 is light years easier to accomplish.

I agree with @Ola

To win in this league, you need at 3rd and 4th line that can fill their roles. Especially a 4th line.

The rangers were an awful PK team last year. Awful, especially with Henrik in net.

If they improve that, thats at least 8 points in the standings.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
I agree with @Ola

To win in this league, you need at 3rd and 4th line that can fill their roles. Especially a 4th line.

The rangers were an awful PK team last year. Awful, especially with Henrik in net.

Doesn't sound like Ruff's going anywhere this year...don't see the PK improving much

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I agree with @Ola

I never said you don't need a 3/4 line, but last year's far bigger problem was the lack of quality of 1/2, and of course the lack of much of any dmen.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Doesn't sound like Ruff's going anywhere this year...don't see the PK improving much
It should improve even with zero tactical adjustments just because the fact that Pionk won’t be here getting first PK pair usage.

Change nothing else but put Trouba in those minutes and the PK is 100% going to be better.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

That's a stupid move by management. The smart move would be to get a defenseman in that role, and have him take on developing the d.

Ruff's teams in Buffalo and Dallas were the worst defensive teams in the NHL.

Really really dumb move to keep him on.

I loved what Gorts has done so far, but got already know what's going to happen. Get a capable voice in there to coach the D.

Metranger

May 22, 2015
That's a stupid move by management. The smart move would be to get a defenseman in that role, and have him take on developing the d.

Ruff's teams in Buffalo and Dallas were the worst defensive teams in the NHL.

Really really dumb move to keep him on.

I loved what Gorts has done so far, but got already know what's going to happen. Get a capable voice in there to coach the D.
I know it would take nerve and guts but why not message Gorton's twitter feed with that line of thought. Ruff stinks.
"Ruff's teams in Buffalo and Dallas were the worst defensive teams in the NHL." That is amazing. Where did the Rangers wind up. 29th?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Like it or not, it may not be the Broadway Bullies but this game has always had room for physical play and imposing your will on the opposition. There have been no small, all skill teams that have won it all. There are reasons for that.

You can't have all 5'3" 150 pounders, but there is little doubt that skill is far more important than physicality. Those players seem to degrade faster and further. I have no data to back that up, other than anecdotal impressions.

Look, the ideal players can play the game AND play physical, but they are not all that common. The person who worried about what Ovi and Wilson do physically has to realize that Ovechkin is a true generational player and that Wilson is a monster who can also play. There is no great way to counteract them, other than to grow your own, but they are rare.

Adding forwards who can only play physical is a thing of the past. If Zucc can stand up for himself, any sized player can. If a player needs a bodyguard, he is not worth having in today's NHL

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I am the side of the camp that agrees that we should keep Kreider till a least the trade deadline.
Sometimes these Power Forwards don’t hit their stride till their late 20s.
Mike Knuble comes to mind as one.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I saw some talk about your C situation and wondered if Anisimov may now be option?

I brought him up early last month on this board and now that Panarin is signed wouldn't it make some sense since Anisimov was his C in Chicago

An Anisimov + small add for Strome Swap may make some sense

Strome would be good 1 yr option should Dach not be ready for our C situation and his expiring contract is benefit for Hawks potentially with Debrincat and Strome the younger needing extensions next offseason

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
On the other side, if this team has 5 fewer games where their goalie steals a point, they're at 73 points.

It's easy to forget, but a bunch of their blown leads came in games they shouldn't have been leading to begin with.

That's fair but the D was a circus last year and after Thanksgiving Lundqvist was pedestrian.

The D should be better this year with Trouba, Fox, Hajek, the forwards are automatically more talented, and because of those two the goaltending should improve. If Lundqvist can't regain form then there will be more Georgiev.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I saw some talk about your C situation and wondered if Anisimov may now be option?

I brought him up early last month on this board and now that Panarin is signed wouldn't it make some sense since Anisimov was his C in Chicago

Strome would be good 1 yr option should Dach not be ready for our C situation and his expiring contract is benefit for Hawks potentially with Debrincat and Strome the younger needing extensions next offseason

Why not just keep Strome? Anisimov isn't a great passer or goal scorer. He's had a nice career but it's been closer to Michael Handzus than say a true #2 C.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I agree with @Ola

Well Pionk is gone so that's one problem solved. Smith probably isn't there so that's another. Let's say Trouba and Hajek >>>> Pionk and Smith on the PK.

But this is why you bring in a guy like Brian Boyle. Faceoffs, PK, protecting leads. McKeg is going to help with this as well. He was a very effective player for Carolina last year.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well Pionk is gone so that's one problem solved. Smith probably isn't there so that's another. Let's say Trouba and Hajek >>>> Pionk and Smith on the PK.

But this is why you bring in a guy like Brian Boyle. Faceoffs, PK, protecting leads. McKeg is going to help with this as well. He was a very effective player for Carolina last year.

If Staal is killing penalties, the PK will still suffer.

Skjei and Trouba should be getting a ton of PK time. Cycle in Hajek and either of the other RHD when necessary.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
If we only we can buyout Girardi's buyout, we'd be set for the year without having to get rid of a potential bounce back deadline player or buying out one of KS MS BS.

Reactions: LannyMcdonald

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
I am the side of the camp that agrees that we should keep Kreider till a least the trade deadline.

Thing is you limit the market then. Yes, a lot of teams would likely want to get Kreider at the deadline and give up assets, but you might have 3-4 teams with interest.

Right now, the whole league (roughly) could make the move. They'd also get him for 82 games instead of 30ish games. Larger return, plus they can talk an extension this summer.

Those teams that believe they are on the bubble would probably pony up on the asking price now knowing they will have him in their top 6 all season long.

Not to mention, if there is a 1st round pick involved in the deal, there is the off chance that management misreads their team and you get that lottery pick. It wouldn't be like the Duchene trade, but imagine moving Kreider to a team like Edmonton, getting their 1st, and that team missing (which is realistic).

Having two lotto picks (let's be honest, this is still not a playoff team) would elevate our "build" to levels we probably fantasized about.

Reactions: mschmidt64

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

No.

Rangers need to subtract cap, not add it.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Is the subtraction of cap for DeAngelo + Buch?

If so what about

Gustafsson + AA + Perlini for Strome + DeAngelo?

You would replace DeAngelo for Gus who has 1.2M cap hit this coming year while swapping AA/Strome and getting a young winger in Perlini

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad