Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Is the subtraction of cap for DeAngelo + Buch?

If so what about

Gustafsson + AA + Perlini for Strome + DeAngelo?

You would replace DeAngelo for Gus who has 1.2M cap hit this coming year while swapping AA/Strome and getting a young winger in Perlini
I'm not much of a cap guy so I don't know what the implications are there. Gustafsson intrigues me. Plus he's left-handed so that's Staal out and Fox in. I probably do it.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Starting to think a Shatty buyout is the move.

Save 5+ mill this year and only give up 1.4 3 and 4 years down the line.

Put some pressure off us and allow us more leverage if we want to trade Kreider.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Is the subtraction of cap for DeAngelo + Buch?

If so what about

Gustafsson + AA + Perlini for Strome + DeAngelo?

You would replace DeAngelo for Gus who has 1.2M cap hit this coming year while swapping AA/Strome and getting a young winger in Perlini

ADA goes nowhere. Not after the season he’s had.

We will need to clear cap space and that’ll come at the expense of Kreider and a trade of Names/Strome. Buying out Staal or Smith might be an option, or trading Shatty @50%.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
ADA is still a young (not to mention greatly improving) RFA and Strome will still be one as well after this season, not an "expiring" contract. Plus the whole cap piece, there's no way in hell I do that deal.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Thing is you limit the market then. Yes, a lot of teams would likely want to get Kreider at the deadline and give up assets, but you might have 3-4 teams with interest.

Right now, the whole league (roughly) could make the move. They'd also get him for 82 games instead of 30ish games. Larger return, plus they can talk an extension this summer.

Those teams that believe they are on the bubble would probably pony up on the asking price now knowing they will have him in their top 6 all season long.

Not to mention, if there is a 1st round pick involved in the deal, there is the off chance that management misreads their team and you get that lottery pick. It wouldn't be like the Duchene trade, but imagine moving Kreider to a team like Edmonton, getting their 1st, and that team missing (which is realistic).

Having two lotto picks (let's be honest, this is still not a playoff team) would elevate our "build" to levels we probably fantasized about.
I'd differ on one point: while the number of buyers is smaller at the deadline, their stakes are higher and their positioning is much more certain. That's why the Rangers have been able to extract as much as they have recently.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
Snapshots: Oilers, Penguins, Williams

Edmonton looking for a top 6 Wing + 3rd Line C. Makes sense given what @Edge was relaying to us. They didn't bring in much less far via Free Agency. Still think we target them.

A combo of Buch/Names or Kreider/Names should net us some nice futures. Think we have to facilitate their Cap situation too, maybe taking back Gagne, 1 year left at 3.15?

Reactions: Edge

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I still like something around Kreider for RNH. Fixes the 2C problem NYR has and it gives McDavid the best winger he's ever had. And I like the idea of adding pool party to boot. Maybe Edmonton's failures of prospect development speak more of the failures of the franchise itself than the actual prospects.
RNH + Poolparty
for
Kreider + Names + Rykov

Would be feasible with buying out Shattenkirk and burying Smith.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Watch him sign with a team that can give him term, more $, and more TOI. Boyle doesn’t want to be remembered as a grinder. He’s too good for that. :rolleyes:

Would it surprise anyone if someone gave Boyle 2 years @ 3 million or 3.5 million per? Look what Tanev just got. I love the guy and if we had a few million I’d consider it, but we don’t.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I still like something around Kreider for RNH. Fixes the 2C problem NYR has and it gives McDavid the best winger he's ever had. And I like the idea of adding pool party to boot. Maybe Edmonton's failures of prospect development speak more of the failures of the franchise itself than the actual prospects.
RNH + Poolparty
for
Kreider + Names + Rykov

Would be feasible with buying out Shattenkirk and burying Smith.

RNH makes way too much money for our current cap situation. Plus the fact, he isn't very good.

I wouldn't buy out anyone. I'd rather suck it up for 2 years & have all 4 cap hits erased in one fell swoop. A better move is to add draft picks or sweetners so teams will take these guys off our hands. Retaining some money is a way better move in the long run.

Realistically, we won't be seriously competing for the Cup in these next 2 seasons anyway, so there is no reason to carry any dead money past 20-21.

Reactions: mschmidt64 and Ola

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What I want to see his Names traded.
How come? I'm kind of thinking he's a good "vet" to re-sign. He's Fast with more of a pulse. The price would have to be right, of course. He's a third liner and overpaid this year.

Reactions: Ola

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I saw some talk about your C situation and wondered if Anisimov may now be option?

I brought him up early last month on this board and now that Panarin is signed wouldn't it make some sense since Anisimov was his C in Chicago

An Anisimov + small add for Strome Swap may make some sense

Strome would be good 1 yr option should Dach not be ready for our C situation and his expiring contract is benefit for Hawks potentially with Debrincat and Strome the younger needing extensions next offseason
Rangers have a bit of a cap thing right now. Probably couldn't afford Artem. I'm sure they could work it out but I don't think he's really what the Rangers need now. Strome to Chicago though could happen. 2nd rounder?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'd differ on one point: while the number of buyers is smaller at the deadline, their stakes are higher and their positioning is much more certain. That's why the Rangers have been able to extract as much as they have recently.
There are two schools of thought. Like you say: sell to motivated buyers at the deadline. Or, alternately, sell to a bigger pool of buyers over the summer who can hedge with your scenario if things aren't working out by the trade deadline. Either way I guess the return is similar.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
On one hand, we took a crap ton of games to OT that we had no business being in and got a loser point out of that; on the other hand, we had an absolutely atrocious record in OT/SO.

So, push?
Pretty much everything is a push :)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
RNH makes way too much money for our current cap situation. Plus the fact, he isn't very good.

I wouldn't buy out anyone. I'd rather suck it up for 2 years & have all 4 cap hits erased in one fell swoop. A better move is to add draft picks or sweetners so teams will take these guys off our hands. Retaining some money is a way better move in the long run.

Realistically, we won't be seriously competing for the Cup in these next 2 seasons anyway, so there is no reason to carry any dead money past 20-21.
If we can move 2 guys for RNH and get cap relief that way then I'd be down; RNH's contract expires in 2 years. Kreider + Shatty for RNH + Pulju/2nd is something I'd do definitely. Then we even have the option of selling RNH next year either in the offseason or at the deadline. It would give us a solid 2C to help with development, and allow us to cash in on another asset or at least align with our other big contracts coming off the books in 2 years right before the expansion draft if we chose to keep him for a playoff run or something.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008

lol

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Snapshots: Oilers, Penguins, Williams

Edmonton looking for a top 6 Wing + 3rd Line C. Makes sense given what @Edge was relaying to us. They didn't bring in much less far via Free Agency. Still think we target them.

A combo of Buch/Names or Kreider/Names should net us some nice futures. Think we have to facilitate their Cap situation too, maybe taking back Gagne, 1 year left at 3.15?

Yea I agree , Edmonton is a target , Holland had Smith in the past and could use Namestnikov ....

Say Smith at half off then could take Manning back and bury him or buyout as another option w 1 yr left on that deal instead of the 2 on Smith

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
There are better suitors with better pieces than what Edmonton has to offer for Kreider. I'd take Studnicka and Boston's 1st for an unsigned Kreider. The only asset Edmonton has that interests me is their 1st next year.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don’t see any team offering enough right now for Kreider and Namestnikov together. Separate deals.

My take on a Kreider deal is that Gorton is getting experienced on the market, he is not ‘auctioning’ off Kreider to the highest bidder but has set the price to a 1st and a solid prospect. Like the Hayes trade. Of course the value of the pick and prospect vary, but they are two corresponding containers so to speak, and the value of both must not be too low (ie an expected late 1st and only a so-so prospect).

Obviously Gorton has been in contact with potential suitors, and nobody has met the price, neither now nor at the draft. There might still be a little dust left to settle from the UFA flurry, but unless final negotiations are going on as we speak or in the coming days, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gorton can accomplish very little from now until the deadline. Unfortunately. There is of course some windows that opens during the season with teams finding needs, but they won’t be many.

It is just how the land lies. A bunch of teams are trying to offload contracts. Almost everyone have contracts they want to dump. We are in that situation too after the Panarin trade and it will take years before Gorton can partake in discussions involving him taking on any term. That is an instant conversation killer vis-a-vis like 75-90% of the GMs.

I dearly hope I am wrong, but I don’t think Namestnikov has much value around the league. He is darn skilled but he plays with his head under his arm, can’t at all value situations in-front of him on the fly. Our pro-scouts who scouted him must be the same guys who worked on Etem and co., they don’t see these things, obviously. GMs aren’t doing each other any favors. It’s like the Girardi buy-out. Instantly after getting bought out there is interest in him, before there are none. You wanna bet that Shatty will get more as a bought out player than at 50% retention?

Brooks has reported that Gorton won’t retain 50% AND take back bad money. But I hope something can be done there however. That we can find someone with term that makes more sense than Shatty who is like the worst imaginable fit for us. Too bad Gorts didn’t realize that while Shatty still had while and it’s just sad that nobody around the team did either and could push him in the right direction. Just SAD.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad