Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
FYI - Buchnevich will fetch more in a trade than Kreider. I know it’s risky, but between the two “assets,” Buch is now more redundant to what they have. They’ve drafted talented wingers at No. 9 and No. 2 who predominantly played RW, and each can supplant Buch within two seasons.

A package involving the RFA; Buch, possibly Deangelo, including maybe a draft pick (future first) or two in play, that gets you in the ballpark of a younger, cost-controlled center. Kreider at this point will fetch a Hayes-like return (late 1st + prospect). Not sure it’s worth clearing only $4.6 million in cap space just for the sake of it. Feels like a move that is spinning the tires and makes the playoffs more of an uncertainty.

It’s not a necessity, but the idea of adding a center to Chytil, Lias and Howden is enticing and intriguing. Allows one to shift to wing (Chytil looked great there at times).

My thought process is it’s a hard sell to trade Kreider to get under the cap, get a Hayes-like return, and then start opening night with Staal and Smith around. If you need to retain a bit of salary to move Namestnikov, that’s okay. If you attach an asset or two to clear most/all of Smith’s salary, that’s okay. If you flip Shattenkirk (salary retained) or Deangelo (for presumably a first-round pick or 2nd + prospect), that’s okay. Trading Kreider and expecting a playoff bubble team as currently constructed is a tough sell.

Same as Hayes, moving Kreider is not about his $4.6 for next season, it’s about $7m for 6-8 seasons thereafter. It still would be approximately viewed as part of the rebuild and continuing to build the talent pool.

Moving Buchnevich, ADA and a first is somewhat different. Losing pieces that could contribute in excess of their expected cap hit. Redundant? Talent is NEVER redundant and Buch has a very good chance to be more productive than Kreider. Even if he plays behind K&K, think about J Staal behind Crosby and Malkin or Kessel also on a third line. This depth brought Pens multiple SC.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Not going to lie, I'm not nearly as enamored with Poehling as some.

His three years in college have often left me...wanting a bit more from him.
I view him as a similar level prospect to Howden. I see a very good 3C, potentially good 2C there.

I think a Howden level prospect would be a very, very nice get for one year of Kreider.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Hockey trade idea.

To Rangers:
Tyson Jost ($886K), Colin Wilson ($2.6 million), 1st rounder 2020 lottery protected

To Avalanche:
Chris Kreider ($4.625 million), Jesper Fast ($1.85 million)

Here's my logic. Colorado's window has opened. They're a goalie away (sorry Grubauer) from being Stanley Cup favorites. They add secondary scoring and a bottom six utility player who has proven he can play in the playoffs for a Cup run. They also save nearly $3 million of cap space which will help for Burkosky or Compher, and add about 40 goals between the two.

Rangers gain cap room. Wilson is very redundant for the Avs at this point with Mackininon and Kadri. He helps the Rangers short term be a 2c-4c with Strome and Chytil or Anderson. I love Fast and I'll miss him but Anderson gets his minutes. Jost may or may not become as good as Kreider (probably not) but he'll have time to develop with the Rangers as a middle to bottom six option. And the Avs are stacked, that pick will probably be between 22-31 closer to the end.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not going to lie, I'm not nearly as enamored with Poehling as some.

His three years in college have often left me...wanting a bit more from him.

My overarching point is that, IMO, the Rangers are hedging their bets on the center position. Some of that could just be to create more competition and to push the likes of Chytil and Andersson to step up their games. But, some of it may be to make sure they have as many candidates as possible.

Reactions: Cag29

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
My overarching point is that, IMO, the Rangers are hedging their bets on the center position. Some of that could just be to create more competition and to push the likes of Chytil and Andersson to step up their games. But, some of it may be to make sure they have as many candidates as possible.

What other choice do they have really? If you extend Kreider, you tie up too much money on the wings. The cap space is going to have to be utilized on RFA's and likely the center position at some point in the future.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Hockey trade idea.

To Rangers:
Tyson Jost ($886K), Colin Wilson ($2.6 million), 1st rounder 2020 lottery protected

To Avalanche:
Chris Kreider ($4.625 million), Jesper Fast ($1.85 million)

Here's my logic. Colorado's window has opened. They're a goalie away (sorry Grubauer) from being Stanley Cup favorites. They add secondary scoring and a bottom six utility player who has proven he can play in the playoffs for a Cup run. They also save nearly $3 million of cap space which will help for Burkosky or Compher, and add about 40 goals between the two.

Rangers gain cap room. Wilson is very redundant for the Avs at this point with Mackininon and Kadri. He helps the Rangers short term be a 2c-4c with Strome and Chytil or Anderson. I love Fast and I'll miss him but Anderson gets his minutes. Jost may or may not become as good as Kreider (probably not) but he'll have time to develop with the Rangers as a middle to bottom six option. And the Avs are stacked, that pick will probably be between 22-31 closer to the end.
Didnt they just re-sign Wilson on Monday....

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Poehling is interesting for sure, but I wonder if Montreal would pivot from moving him for a Kreider since the offer sheet for Aho is not an option for them

Now, of course things can change and if MTL is getting a top 6 center to play along with Kotkaniemi and Max Domi, they could shift and send Poehling out for a big winger that they could re-sign. Not sure it's viable anymore, from Montreal's standpoint

It shouldn't matter, but I'd much prefer Kreider out west. Feel like he'd torment the Rangers staying in the east, but it's best offer for him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Strome, Chytil, Names, and even probably Kakko, Kravstov all likely to get a look at 2C. Someone could ostensibly run away with it in the absence of a trade.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Season's over guys- we didn't do well with the WAR projections that have McKegg on the third line and Hajek-Shattenkirk outplaying Skjei-Trouba.
giphy.gif

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
81 points would have them tied for 9th/10th overall based on the 18-19 standings. The Rangers had 78 points in 18-19.

It's possible.

They're a playoff bubble team this year IMO where as last year it was a foregone conclusion that they wouldn't be very good. No mass exodus of bodies at the TDL will help (the guys who are moved are not large parts of the team, unless something unforeseen happens.)

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's good news.

We've talked about making Chytil and Andersson just guys instead of the focal point of the organization. In one summer, we've done that. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Panarin are core talents. While we absolutely want Chytil and Andersson to succeed, we're in a position now where their failure would not set the organization back years.

I am concerned that all of our strength is in the wing, but Gorton doesn't seem to mind and I think he's earned leash.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Here's good news.

We've talked about making Chytil and Andersson just guys instead of the focal point of the organization. In one summer, we've done that. Kakko, Kravtsov, and Panarin are core talents. While we absolutely want Chytil and Andersson to succeed, we're in a position now where their failure would not set the organization back years.

I am concerned that all of our strength is in the wing, but Gorton doesn't seem to mind and I think he's earned leash.

I'd say they are pretty deep on D as well, at least in the AHL/prospect space.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Remember though, if this team has let's say like five less of those blown one goal leads it's 83 points. I expect them to have an easier time with that this season.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chytil, Andersson or Howden are the plan A options for 2C. Kakko is plan B. Strome and / or Namestnikov will be plan C for the upcoming season.

At this time there’s no cap space for anything else external and, tbh, time to let the next stage of growth to take place before making another “course adjustment “.

For me that is more than plenty to find a fill for the 2C. Plenty of capable young players there

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Remember though, if this team has let's say like five less of those blown one goal leads it's 83 points. I expect them to have an easier time with that this season.

On the other side, if this team has 5 fewer games where their goalie steals a point, they're at 73 points.

It's easy to forget, but a bunch of their blown leads came in games they shouldn't have been leading to begin with.

Reactions: jas

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Here's good news.

I’d include Zibanejad with Panarin, Kakko and Kravtsov. I think he still has another level he can reach. The skill is there, and he’s gained the confidence to use it more consistently. I think he reaches 85 points this year.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
For me that is more than plenty to find a fill for the 2C. Plenty of capable young players there

Enough talent to NOT make a knee jerk reaction move (moving close high potential prospects and young pros would be that).

There’s going to be tremendous competition in the camp. At forward only Zibanejad and Panarin are “safe” (but these two have other significant motivations). For the rest - nothing is guaranteed. Very close to that on D as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad