Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Trade Kreider/Buch/Namestnikov to open up cap space to sign 34 year old Brian Boyle?

Please get Brian Boyle out of your head. This is more about shedding potential long-term commitments that play a position thats currently a strength within the organization, while also balancing the act of not throwing the young kids to the wolves each night.

Having so much money tied up on the wings is both a short and long-term problem.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
We'll see how the young guys develop but Zibanejad followed by a steep cliff is a cause for concern now and into the short-term future. Just sort of those things that'll remain a problem until its not. But even the depth at center doesn't explode off the page like what the Rangers have been able to do on the wing.

Everything is always a problem, until its not. No team is perfect. Right now we are flush with loads of depth and talent on the wings and defense. When the time comes, you use that to address a position of weakness.

mti79

May 11, 2007
His last two deals have an aav of $2 million (signed at 29 years old and after a cup run with us) and $2.5 aav with the devils (signed at 32).

What fantasy la la land are you living in?

Yep now 34 years old he is going to CASH IN BABYYY. Teams are gona say here is an aav of $3.5+ for 4 years to be a 2C/3C tweener............
Pittsburgh gave that to Tanev + 2 extra years

Reactions: Avery16

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Please get Brian Boyle out of your head. This is more about shedding potential long-term commitments that play a position thats currently a strength within the organization, while also balancing the act of not throwing the young kids to the wolves each night.

Having so much money tied up on the wings is both a short and long-term problem.

But Buchnevich is the only long term committment there. Kreider and NAmes should be dealt.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And then the next year, the smallest, skill team will win. There aren't certain styles needed order to win. It always boils down to talent, effort, and now more than ever, luck.
Like it or not, it may not be the Broadway Bullies but this game has always had room for physical play and imposing your will on the opposition. There have been no small, all skill teams that have won it all. There are reasons for that.

Reactions: RGY

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Why do people always act like trading a bunch of players without bringing back cap or retaining is easy? We need cap space to sign our RFAs. Let's figure that out first before we worry about overpaying a 4th line center for the next 3 years.
Especially when the cap didn't go up nearly as much and teams are paying a premium to gain capspace?

Trading those guys with little to no cap coming back would result in a massive blow to their value.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Why do people always act like trading a bunch of players without bringing back cap or retaining is easy? We need cap space to sign our RFAs. Let's figure that out first before we worry about overpaying a 4th line center for the next 3 years.

Because, particularly in Kreider's case, it would be easy.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
center depth is not an issue...if anything we have too many centers. the only issue is 2C and what happens if the kids can't handle it since you don't want to hurt their development. but between chytil, andersson and howden at least 1 will probably have to play wing

Strome is your placeholder. If the Rangers are targeting the likes of Zegras and Newhook in the draft, and asking for Poehling in a Kreider trade, they’re at least hedging their bets regarding the current in-house options.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Some trades I made for fun on CapFriendly last night. Not to be taken seriously.

To Montreal:
Chris Kreider

To NYR:
2020 1st
Artturi Lehkonen

To Toronto:
Pavel Buchnevich
Nils Lundkvist
2020 1st (from Montreal)

To NYR:
Willy Nylander

Also traded Names/Strome to whoever for picks, and bought out Smith.

Final results:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Fast
Chytil-Nylander-Kakko
Lehkonen-Howden-Kravstov
Lemieux-Lias-Fogarty (I guess)

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-ADA
Hajek-Fox
Shatt

I had about 3M in cap space left after everything. I signed Lemieux/ADA/Lehkonen for about ~6M total, it might cost more.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
And we should exactly be doing that, especially for this season. No reason not to end up with those guys moving around in and out of being the 2C, 3C, and 4C throughout the season. Maybe not so much the 4C, but moving one out to the wing at that point. Andersson, Chytil, and Howden should be in those positions, finding out what they are.

By the end of the season, we should be looking at all these guys having over 100 NHL games under their belt. While, not enough to full evaluate a player and their future, the picture will become much clearer as to what they can be and if the team needs to begin looking outside of the organization for another top end center.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Strome is your placeholder. If the Rangers are targeting the likes of Zegras and Newhook in the draft, and asking for Poehling in a Kreider trade, they’re at least hedging their bets regarding the current in-house options.

Panarin accelerates things, but the fact of the matter is that this is still a build, and it is still a situation where there are jobs and roles to be had and where youngsters have to go get them, while the sophomores have to prove they're maturing.

Reactions: Leetch3

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
And yet it still hasn't happened yet, despite plenty of talks with multiple teams before, during, and probably since, the draft.

I assume it was a value proposition up until 2 days ago. With the Panarin signing, it's become a bigger cap space issue.

A deal for a pick and a prospect looks a little more palatable now.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Some trades I made for fun on CapFriendly last night. Not to be taken seriously.

To Montreal:
Chris Kreider

To NYR:
2020 1st
Artturi Lehkonen

To Toronto:
Pavel Buchnevich
Nils Lundkvist
2020 1st (from Montreal)

To NYR:
Willy Nylander

Also traded Names/Strome to whoever for picks, and bought out Smith.

Final results:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Fast
Chytil-Nylander-Kakko
Lehkonen-Howden-Kravstov
Lemieux-Lias-Fogarty (I guess)

Skjei-Trouba
Staal-ADA
Hajek-Fox
Shatt

I had about 3M in cap space left after everything. I signed Lemieux/ADA/Lehkonen for about ~6M total, it might cost more.

I followed your direction and didn’t take this post seriously.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
Strome is 25. That's younger than Panarin. 18-15-33 in 63 games. Pretty safe to say he would've been a 20-goal scorer with us if he joined sooner. I think he can win the 2C job.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
The draft is past tense!

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
While I have no issue bringing back Boyle, that ship probably sailed when they signed McKegg, a cheaper option for 4C.

As for Kreider l, I think that there are four options for a legitimate trade - Colorado, Boston, Montreal and Florida. Kaut is known to be a target, as is Poehling. The Rangers supposedly asked asked for Frederic in the Nash trade before settling on Lindgren, although I think Studnicka suits their needs more. I believe something be saying d the Rangers had interest in Heponiemi in his draft year. I think an extended Kreider could get you one of those prospects and a 1st.
I saw somewhere that Detroit has inquired about Kreider.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
If you're looking super-optimistically. My estimates on the RFAs are 3.5 for Buch, 2.5 for DeAngelo, 2 for Lemieux, and 8 for Trouba... putting us $150k over the cap with 13F/7D/2G plus Brendan Smith filling in on both.

We are really better off shedding Smith, IMO, both for cap flexibility and roster flexibility, but I see the other side.

I think you are giving to much to DeAngelo for reasons that I expressed in a different post and and 2 is to much for lemieux as well. These guys have only made .860 a year. What makes them worth about 2.5-3xs more than what they made before? Not much which is why you dont sign them for what you think their future is, you sign them biased on their performance the past 3 year. So I see us as under the cap by 1.5m. Or we could just qualify offer them and both would make less than 1m next season and sign them after. Which I wouldn't do.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I think the organization needs to be careful about throwing a bunch of young(ish) inexperienced guys to the wolves next season. Don't let me derail the point with Brian Boyle --- but I do foresee management making some sort of relatively modest investment in vets for the bottom 6.

I wouldn't be worried about that...we have strome, namestnikov, fast...if those guys get moved in cap dumps we'll either keep belesky or bring in a cheaper vet. I think if anything the rangers will have more vets than they need then not enough

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
Neither team does this. No way they make a deal with each other. No way Philly deals Patrick for a 28 year old Kreider, signed or not

Uh, I do that deal all day if I'm the Rangers.

I just wouldn't if I'm Philly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad