Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I keep hearing people talk about our center depth and how it is an issue. Is it really though?

It is only an issue if you're trying to win now. We are not. It doesn't matter if Strome and Chytil alternate as 2/3c and Strome/Andersson alternate between 3c/4c. If there are growing pains, oh well. If in 2-3 years we aren't comfortable with Chytil as 2c and/or Andersson as 3c, then yeah it is totally concerning.

For now? I think what we have is absolutely fine and I would be a bit surprised if we make a move for a center.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nieves and McKegg.
Nieves stinks. Never stays healthy and when he is healthy he really doesnt do a heckuva lot.

Mckegg doesnt do much for me either. He barely is an NHLer. Lets not give him the credibility that he simply does not have or exists.

Brian Boyle is a proven NHLer

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't understand why not being ready right away is an issue. The way the NHL works is a marathon where you have to peak near the end of the season. Only teams that have very little personnel turnover are "ready" right away, and there are very few of those, and they have no advantage over the course of the season.

Look, in today’s NHL anything can happen and I will be as excited as everyone else.

But hockey is a team game. You can definitely not put an = between a few talented players and having a good team. It just don’t work that way, if anyone we in NY should know that.

How do you win most games in the NHL? Even those with the best teams involved? You don’t give away much if anything, and play a really consistent disciplined game.

Just look back at previous years, loosing someone like Prust or Dom Moore and the likes have hurt us in the past because we didn’t have a 3/4 line. The fact that we don’t have set working lines and D pairings and special teams is not a “what if”, it’s a fact. Can everything come together? Sure, it don’t take a ton in today’s NHL. But that is a what if.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Watch him sign with a team that can give him term, more $, and more TOI. Boyle doesn’t want to be remembered as a grinder. He’s too good for that. :rolleyes:
His last two deals have an aav of $2 million (signed at 29 years old and after a cup run with us) and $2.5 aav with the devils (signed at 32).

What fantasy la la land are you living in?

Yep now 34 years old he is going to CASH IN BABYYY. Teams are gona say here is an aav of $3.5+ for 4 years to be a 2C/3C tweener............

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Nieves and McKegg.

I think the organization needs to be careful about throwing a bunch of young(ish) inexperienced guys to the wolves next season. Don't let me derail the point with Brian Boyle --- but I do foresee management making some sort of relatively modest investment in vets for the bottom 6.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Nieves stinks. Never stays healthy and when he is healthy he really doesnt do a heckuva lot.

Mckegg doesnt do much for me either. He barely is an NHLer. Lets not give him the credibility that he simply does not have or exists.

Why do we need him? I like BB as much as the next person but the more I think about it, we don't need him.

Reactions: Avery16

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Who cares? We don't have the cap space to sign Boyle. According to reports, there are 5 teams that are interested in him. He made 2.55 mil last year. Some team will probably top that. It won't be us.

Reactions: Avery16

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I keep hearing people talk about our center depth and how it is an issue. Is it really though?

It is only an issue if you're trying to win now. We are not. It doesn't matter if Strome and Chytil alternate as 2/3c and Strome/Andersson alternate between 3c/4c. If there are growing pains, oh well. If in 2-3 years we aren't comfortable with Chytil as 2c and/or Andersson as 3c, then yeah it is totally concerning.

For now? I think what we have is absolutely fine and I would be a bit surprised if we make a move for a center.

center depth is not an issue...if anything we have too many centers. the only issue is 2C and what happens if the kids can't handle it since you don't want to hurt their development. but between chytil, andersson and howden at least 1 will probably have to play wing

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I said serviceable, not good. Why are we looking to improve the 4C spot this year?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
center depth is not an issue...if anything we have too many centers. the only issue is 2C and what happens if the kids can't handle it since you don't want to hurt their development. but between chytil, andersson and howden at least 1 will probably have to play wing

That is why you have Strome. Throw him in there. That is the point of depth. You don't need a 2C. You need a guy you can plug into the 2C role until one of your prospects are ready to take it over. That could be Chytil this year. If not, give Howden or Andersson a shot. If none of the three, just throw Strome in.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

We'll see how the young guys develop but Zibanejad followed by a steep cliff is a cause for concern now and into the short-term future. Just sort of those things that'll remain a problem until its not. But even the depth at center doesn't explode off the page like what the Rangers have been able to do on the wing.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Why do we need him? I like BB as much as the next person but the more I think about it, we don't need him.
There might not be a fit in terms of an available position, sure.

But if they do trade Namestnikov and one of Kreider/Buch, you could find a spot as the 4C with bodies shifting around the 12 forward spots.

Here is our current state:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Strome-Howden-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Lias-Fast
Namestnikov

Strome can play wing and center.

Boyle can also slide to the wing and take faceoffs occasionally. So say you move Buch for a young cheap center that isnt NHL ready just yet. You slide Strome up into Buch’s spot. Namestnikov traded. Lemmy slides up:

Kreider-Zib-Strome
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov
Boyle-Lias-Fast

Maybe you swap Lias with Howden. But youve got cheaper depth, veteran leadership.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
His last two deals have an aav of $2 million (signed at 29 years old and after a cup run with us) and $2.5 aav with the devils (signed at 32).

What fantasy la la land are you living in?

Yep now 34 years old he is going to CASH IN BABYYY. Teams are gona say here is an aav of $3.5+ for 4 years to be a 2C/3C tweener............
We should know pretty soon.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The only way we will improve our center situation from the outside is by trading Buchnevich for a similar level center. All the FA are bad. The best hope is that Chytil/Andersson/Howden improve. Or try Kakko at C. Could do Kreider instead of Buchnevich but we won't get someone as good with term that is cheap for an upcoming FA.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
We don't have the cap space to do anything about it.

Shed some space on the wings (Kreider, Buchnevich, Namestikov). Are these guys long-term pieces with the cap hits they'll command? Buy out Shattenkirk and/or Smith.

Re-invest in short-term plugs at center and D that can hold the fort for a little while.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Shed some space on the wings (Kreider, Buchnevich, Namestikov). Are these guys long-term pieces with the cap hits they'll command? Buy out Shattenkirk and/or Smith.

Re-invest in short-term plugs at center and D that can hold the fort for a little while.

Trade Kreider/Buch/Namestnikov to open up cap space to sign 34 year old Brian Boyle?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

Just gotta get Uncle Gary to rig the next lottery for us again and we have our C

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There might not be a fit in terms of an available position, sure.

But if they do trade Namestnikov and one of Kreider/Buch, you could find a spot as the 4C with bodies shifting around the 12 forward spots.

Here is our current state:

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Strome-Howden-Kravtsov
Lemieux-Lias-Fast
Namestnikov

Strome can play wing and center.

Boyle can also slide to the wing and take faceoffs occasionally. So say you move Buch for a young cheap center that isnt NHL ready just yet. You slide Strome up into Buch’s spot. Namestnikov traded. Lemmy slides up:

Kreider-Zib-Strome
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden-Kravtsov
Boyle-Lias-Fast

Maybe you swap Lias with Howden. But youve got cheaper depth, veteran leadership.

Okay. If you're signing Boyle to be a depth winger, I can get on board with that.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Why do people always act like trading a bunch of players without bringing back cap or retaining is easy? We need cap space to sign our RFAs. Let's figure that out first before we worry about overpaying a 4th line center for the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad