Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
I can see us adding Boyle or Brassard once we have moved out Namestnikov and another body.

Boyle would be a good add
How much does he cost?

Names traded to Buffalo for a 2021 3rd
Smith traded to OTT for Gaborik (LTIR)
Trade Kreider at the deadline for a Hayes like return If there are No good offers now.
The 4 RFAs signed for around $14 M
Fox starts in Hartford. Kravtsov too.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panaman - Strome/Chytil - Buch
Lias - Howden - Chytil/Strome
Lemmy - Boyle - Fast
One of Nieves/McKegg (other one gets waived)

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - ADA
Hajek/Lindgren/Rykov - Shattenkirk
Cheap vet UFA

Hank
Georgy/Shesty

Edit - I see We likely need to make one more move. Trade Kreider in that case

Last edited:

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
When players stand up for themselves it's even better.
Yes. When they do. Ovi drilled Brady Skjei over the bench. Did anybody do anything?
Ovi almost killed svechnikov of Carolina. Did anyone make him pay for it? I don’t want to see him pound on KK or Kravstov.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My ideal, semi realistic, rest of the summer would look like this:

Trade Kreider
Trade Namesnikov
Buy out Staal
Waive Smith

Kravstov-Zib-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Andersson-Howden-Lemieux
McKegg/Nieves-Strome-Fast

McKegg/Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
Hajek/Rykov-ADA
Hajek/Rykov-Fox

Shatty spots in for any of the kids if they're struggling or need AHL time.

I could go with that roster yet I have a difficult time believing they are going to not play Shattenkirk

And they will not have some literal fighter aspect added.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I totally ignored Namestnikov in all this.

Trade Nam, Shat (retained) and Smith. Resign the others, keep Kreids.

Then come deadline we act according to the standings.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Man Avery you must have missed hockey in the 70’s and 80’s. I’m shaking my head at you. Jeez. We have some real young superstar quality talent. We must protect it.
I’m not saying goon it up. But Lemieux can’t do it alone.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I'd love for Gorton to go out and find a player like Prust. Lemieux was a great start. Trent Frederic is a good example. Tough kid who can play the game. I'm looking forward to Gettinger hopefully progressing. Boyle would be a good addition as a 4th line LW for a year or so.

This team isn't soft or small, they just lack that aggressive mentality for the most part. There are guys who obviously play a bit like that (Lemieux, ADA, Andersson (at times), Trouba (at times). But it would behoove Gorton to go find 1-2 more guys who relish in the idea of wearing the other team down AND providing positive on ice results.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
My ideal, semi realistic, rest of the summer would look like this:

Trade Kreider
Trade Namesnikov
Buy out Staal
Waive Smith

Kravstov-Zib-Buchnevich
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Andersson-Howden-Lemieux
McKegg/Nieves-Strome-Fast

McKegg/Nieves

Skjei-Trouba
Hajek/Rykov-ADA
Hajek/Rykov-Fox

Shatty spots in for any of the kids if they're struggling or need AHL time.

I'm good with all of that except for the buyout.. why? I get you want to give kids a chance and let them play but we are not contending this year for anything, why sadle ourselves with more dead cap space when we dont have to? Just let him sit in the press box and help the young kids get acclimated. Smith and Staal can both sit and make their money or play if the young kids aren't ready to take the role. I dont get this buying people out part if there is no immediate need to. I know you guys think that it's only 2m for the next 4 years but is that plus Girardi 1.4. That makes it 3-4 million in dead cap space. The cap didnt go up nearly as much this year, and it's being talked about being set at a specific number for a few years as well. So again why should we waste about 4m in dead cap space in year 2,3,4 when those are the years we will actually be competing and can use that space to resign our own rfas or trade for a player with one year left that we can resign because we then have the cap space to do it. We are trying to build a perennial cup contender. Doing these buyouts will severely limit our ability to do a trade like we did for trouba. Doesn't make sense to me and for me, its very shorted sighted view of the long term goal of this franchise

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I'm good with all of that except for the buyout.. why? I get you want to give kids a chance and let them play but we are not contending this year for anything, why sadle ourselves with more dead cap space when we dont have to? Just let him sit in the press box and help the young kids get acclimated. Smith and Staal can both sit and make their money or play if the young kids aren't ready to take the role. I dont get this buying people out part if there is no immediate need to. I know you guys think that it's only 2m for the next 4 years but is that plus Girardi 1.4. That makes it 3-4 million in dead cap space. The cap didnt go up nearly as much this year, and it's being talked about being set at a specific number for a few years as well. So again why should we waste about 4m in dead cap space in year 2,3,4 when those are the years we will actually be competing and can use that space to resign our own rfas or trade for a player with one year left that we can resign because we then have the cap space to do it. We are trying to build a perennial cup contender. Doing these buyouts will severely limit our ability to do a trade like we did for trouba. Doesn't make sense to me and for me very shorted sighted view of the long term goal of this franchise

We have to clear cap to sign our RFAs. If buying out one or more players is necessary to make it happen, that's what we'll do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't think you are reading my posts correctly.

I am not saying they will move Buchnevich right now. I'm not saying they HAVE to move Buchnevich, it was an example. What I'm saying is having depth allows Gorton to make decisions on players as they are needed. If Kaut and others make Buchnevich expendable, that's a nice trade chip. If Buchnevich becomes a 65 point winger and there is no spot for Kaut, then they use him a trade piece as well.

It's the same reason why if a team offered a very good LD prospector just a good RD prospect I'd still take the very good LD prospect. You cross the bridge of finding spots for everyone as it comes later. That's a good problem to have.
I understand you fine. I'm not dealing Buchnevich for a player that might be as good as Buchnevich and magic beans. I want the better player. If we could have moved up for Zegras, you could have sold me on moving Buchnevich. Now, not so much

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Boyle would be a good add
How much does he cost?

Names traded to Buffalo for a 2021 3rd
Smith traded to OTT for Gaborik (LTIR)
Trade Kreider at the deadline for a Hayes like return If there are No good offers now.
The 4 RFAs signed for around $14 M
Fox starts in Hartford. Kravtsov too.

Kreider - Zib - Kakko
Panaman - Strome/Chytil - Buch
Lias - Howden - Chytil/Strome
Lemmy - Boyle - Fast
One of Nieves/McKegg (other one gets waived)

Skjei - Trouba
Staal - ADA
Hajek/Lindgren/Rykov - Shattenkirk
Cheap vet UFA

Hank
Georgy/Shesty

Edit - I see We likely need to make one more move. Trade Kreider in that case
Probably third line $, some term, trade protections. Hopefully Gorton’s not dumb enough to do that.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I understand you fine. I'm not dealing Buchnevich for a player that might be as good as Buchnevich and magic beans. I want the better player. If we could have moved up for Zegras, you could have sold me on moving Buchnevich. Now, not so much

But on this team, that better player might be redundant. If you could move Buch for a different type of player, that's adds something the team is lacking, why not? I've never seen Buch as a top 6 guy, maybe there's something I'm missing but I'm not sold on him being a fixture there.

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I actually was thinking that we'd keep Names to help the Russians like Panarin, Rykov, Buchnevich, Shesterkin and Kravstov adjust to the language and culture, but Kravtstov and Georgiev's English are so good that they could actually be translators.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
We have to clear cap to sign our RFAs. If buying out one or more players is necessary to make it happen, that's what we'll do.

We dont need to buy anyone out if we trade krieder and names. That itself frees up 8.5m. Not sure where we would need to buy anyone out

Buch will get 3.5aav for 3 years
DeAngelo will get 1.75aav for 2 years
Lemieux will get 1.3aav for 2 years

Leaves us with around 4m in cap space for the year

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Larry is mental.

On Tuesday, he wrote the Rangers must keep Kreider to complete the puzzle.

On Wednesday, he wrote the Rangers are a work in progress and they are 2-3 years away maybe 4-5 years away. Their focus is on player development and not wins and losses. People shouldn't go crazy with their high expectations.

If the Rangers are at least 2-3 years away, why should they invest 7 more years into Kreider?

He wrote about the Rangers needing Kreider's size and strength. Did he watch the World Championships when 18 year old Kaapo Kakko toyed with the Canadians?

Darnell Nurse was asking the guys on the bench "who is that guy?".

the first story was what larry really thinks...question is whether the 2nd one is just him playing both sides or did he get a call from the rangers after the first one lol

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
But on this team, that better player might be redundant. If you could move Buch for a different type of player, that's adds something the team is lacking, why not? I've never seen Buch as a top 6 guy, maybe there's something I'm missing but I'm not sold on him being a fixture there.
Tell me what Kaut does that Buchnevich doesn't do. Buchnevich also has chemistey with Zibanejad, which makes him closer to a first line player than a third line player. I dont think anyone is redundant, and Buchnevich can also play LW if Kreider is moved; which is probably inevitable. I believe management wants to keep Kakko at RW, and I think Kravtsov might get a shot at 2C if he is taken off RW.

As I said, if the Rangers could have used Buchnevich to move up to the Oilers pick and take Zegras, it would have been a different story. Moving Buchnevich is a lateral move at best at this point

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Would Kaut be eligible for the expansion draft? he's a RW right?............Buch, Kakko, Strome, Fast.......I play Andersson, Chytil, Howden at C........Kreider, Panarin, Kratsov, Lemiux LW............move Namestnikov for a pick.....Nieves or McKegg can spare.

I think I am leaning Kreider to stay so he will be traded lol

kaut is exempt from the expansion draft

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Frees up closer to $6.5m.

Krieder makes 4.6 and names makes 4. Lol that's 8.6

8m cap space now with another 8.6m makes 16. Minus 7.5 for trouba makes 8.5 left. Sign players to above post and that makes us have a little less than thought which would be about 2m

LiveLongandProspal

NY Rangers = America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I'm on the trade Kreider but keep Buch bandwagon. I would try to attach Staal or Smith to Kreider and ship him out, even for a lesser return.

Panarin---Zibanejad---Kravtsov
Kakko---Chytil/Lias---Buchnevich

Reactions: SnowblindNYR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad