Speculation: Roster Building Thread LVI: Artemi, where art thou? In NY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Boyle’s agent to Gorton: “hey, I hear you’re looking for a 2C. I’ve got your man!”
Because thats what he would be looking for even though he has never had those minutes anywhere.

He also has only a received a modified NTC in his 2 year deal with the Devils. He had to submit an 8 team list.

He is now 34 years old. He has not scored more than 25 points in his last 6 years. He would be a great depth option at a reasonable price, even if he wants a modified NTC

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Krieder makes 4.6 and names makes 4. Lol that's 8.6

8m cap space now with another 8.6m makes 16. Minus 7.5 for trouba makes 8.5 left. Sign players to above post and that makes us have a little less than thought which would be about 2m

You have to replace both of them on the roster, which you figure will cost about $2m. It will probably be a little less, but still... you don't just trade a player a leave the roster spot open.

Reactions: egelband

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Neither can hold Names jock right now, and that’s really saying something about Brass and Boyle
Really? Because Namestnikov outscored them by a whopping 7-8 points last season.

Maybe they wont be as fast as him, but they will come at half the price and be just as serviceable in the bottom 6 and Pk.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
You have to replace both of them on the roster, which you figure will cost about $2m. It will probably be a little less, but still... you don't just trade a player a leave the roster spot open.

Smith takes 4th line role and we bring someone up or just let mckegg play. But fair enough but still shows that we will have a little over 1m left then for the season. I'm more than fine with that and there's no need to buy anyone out

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Really? Because Namestnikov outscored them by a whopping 7-8 points last season.

Maybe they wont be as fast as him, but they will come at half the price and be just as serviceable in the bottom 6 and Pk.
It was a down season for Names. It’s been a down several seasons for Brass. Boyle never had anything close to Names ability.

Reactions: egelband

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Smith takes 4th line role and we bring someone up or just let mckegg play. But fair enough but still shows that we will have a little over 1m left then for the season. I'm more than fine with that and there's no need to buy anyone out

If you're looking super-optimistically. My estimates on the RFAs are 3.5 for Buch, 2.5 for DeAngelo, 2 for Lemieux, and 8 for Trouba... putting us $150k over the cap with 13F/7D/2G plus Brendan Smith filling in on both.

We are really better off shedding Smith, IMO, both for cap flexibility and roster flexibility, but I see the other side.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Because thats what he would be looking for even though he has never had those minutes anywhere.

He also has only a received a modified NTC in his 2 year deal with the Devils. He had to submit an 8 team list.

He is now 34 years old. He has not scored more than 25 points in his last 6 years. He would be a great depth option at a reasonable price, even if he wants a modified NTC
He is the only person on earth who believes that he can be a 3C. Why stop there?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Tell me what Kaut does that Buchnevich doesn't do. Buchnevich also has chemistey with Zibanejad, which makes him closer to a first line player than a third line player. I dont think anyone is redundant, and Buchnevich can also play LW if Kreider is moved; which is probably inevitable. I believe management wants to keep Kakko at RW, and I think Kravtsov might get a shot at 2C if he is taken off RW.

As I said, if the Rangers could have used Buchnevich to move up to the Oilers pick and take Zegras, it would have been a different story. Moving Buchnevich is a lateral move at best at this point

So let's remove Buchnevich from the conversation as I was using him as an example, not the specific guy I would talk about.

Let's assume 2 years from now the Rangers are set up as follows:

Panarin-Zibanejad-Buch
Chytil-Andersson-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden- Kravstov
Gettinger-Nieves-Kaut

Let's assume everyone has reached their expectations and this team is a juggernaut but has a plethora of depth and new young players pushing for spots (say for example, it's Barron). The team has a plethora of defensemen, some of which need to be paid and the team needs to make some decisions on who to keep.

At this time, they can determine who they want to keep, perhaps they want to keep Buchnevich, perhaps they don't, and they can move them in deals similar to what we just saw TB do with Miller.

What this shows is that just because it may seem like there is a plethora of wings already in the system, trades can be made at the right time to fill other gaps or for futures to keep the pipe full. So adding a player like Kaut wouldn't be a bad thing because he is a very good young player.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Tell me what Kaut does that Buchnevich doesn't do. Buchnevich also has chemistey with Zibanejad, which makes him closer to a first line player than a third line player. I dont think anyone is redundant, and Buchnevich can also play LW if Kreider is moved; which is probably inevitable. I believe management wants to keep Kakko at RW, and I think Kravtsov might get a shot at 2C if he is taken off RW.

As I said, if the Rangers could have used Buchnevich to move up to the Oilers pick and take Zegras, it would have been a different story. Moving Buchnevich is a lateral move at best at this point

I don't want Kaut, I thought you guys were talking about Frederick. I'd move Buch for someone like that because I think he'd add a different skill set to the roster. With Kreider here and Chityl on wing, Buch is like your 6th best winger. If he's playing on the 3rd line, I'd rather have a different player there. With Kreider gone and Chytil at center I guess you slot Buch in the top 6 but I don't love that, I think he's overrated. But that's me and I may be completely wrong and he flourishes with better linemates and more ice time. Who knows.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He is the only person on earth who believes that he can be a 3C. Why stop there?
Where does he say this specifically? What was his role in NSH? How about when he was here? Please dont reference NJ who needed him to be a 3C.

Namestnikov had a down year? You mean when he wasnt being spoon fed minutes on the top lines of TB his scoring prowess deteriorated? Utter shock.

Namestnikov may be younger and faster but the drop off is not significant for the role that is needed to be filled, while also being twice the price of Boyle or Brassard

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
We dont need to buy anyone out if we trade krieder and names. That itself frees up 8.5m. Not sure where we would need to buy anyone out

Buch will get 3.5aav for 3 years
DeAngelo will get 1.75aav for 2 years
Lemieux will get 1.3aav for 2 years

Leaves us with around 4m in cap space for the year

IF we trade Kreider and Names and IF we don't have to retain or take money back and IF those players don't get more than you think they will. Those are some significant IFs. If trading any of these players was easy, it would be done already.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For me, essentially the trade of:

Namestnikov for ___ 3rd '20 + ___ 3rd '21 + Boyle @ $2.75m is a good one I make all day every day.

Yes, this is assuming Namestnikov returns (2) 3rd rounders and Boyle sign for $2.75m per season. The main point of this post is the principle of it, not the specific numbers/returns

Reactions: RGY

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
Panarin - Zib - Kravtsov
Kreider - Strome - Kakko
Anderson - Chytil - Buch
Lemieux - Boo - Fast

Skjei - Trouba
Hajek - Shatty
Staal - ADA

Move Names, figure out a way to get rid of Smith.

Cycle back to Kreider and Strome around January. Get the best deal available for either. Unless of course the Rangers find themselves in a PO spot.

I am all for making the playoffs, losing cultures suck the life out of you. I live in Buffalo, I know these things.

If I were to make a trade, I prob. would target RNH or Similar play making/setup guy. Unfortunately we prob need to keep our fingers crossed we already have a stud 2nd line center man in our roster. I don't see a move on the horizon. Maybe next off-season.

Can't wait to watch this team!

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Neither can hold Names jock right now, and that’s really saying something about Brass and Boyle

Boyle would be a 4th line C option at a cheap rate. Thats far more valuable than Namestikov in terms of cap implications and team needs.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Where does he say this specifically? What was his role in NSH? How about when he was here? Please dont reference NJ who needed him to be a 3C.

Namestnikov had a down year? You mean when he wasnt being spoon fed minutes on the top lines of TB his scoring prowess deteriorated? Utter shock.

Namestnikov may be younger and faster but the drop off is not significant for the role that is needed to be filled, while also being twice the price of Boyle or Brassard
It’s part of the reason why he left us. He said he felt like he wasn’t getting TOI to play to his ability, as he saw it.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
While I have no issue bringing back Boyle, that ship probably sailed when they signed McKegg, a cheaper option for 4C.

As for Kreider l, I think that there are four options for a legitimate trade - Colorado, Boston, Montreal and Florida. Kaut is known to be a target, as is Poehling. The Rangers supposedly asked asked for Frederic in the Nash trade before settling on Lindgren, although I think Studnicka suits their needs more. I believe something be saying d the Rangers had interest in Heponiemi in his draft year. I think an extended Kreider could get you one of those prospects and a 1st.

Reactions: Leetch3 and Avery16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I don't.

But I'd also trade Namestikov for a bag of peanuts if it meant clearing his cap commitment.
He’s probably our best option out of several bad ones for 2C out of the gate. Plus he’d fetch more at TDL. So there’s a couple reasons why that’s a bad idea.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
We already have two serviceable 4C options that cost us $700k and $750k respectively.

And who might they be?

Its not a bad idea to pay a small premium for a short-term veteran presence or two with this young squad - especially if you can clear overpaid/redundant players like Namestikov in a separate transaction. I hope this is the tact the Rangers are taking.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
And who might they be?

Its not a bad idea to pay a small premium for a short-term veteran presence or two with this young squad - especially if you can clear overpaid/redundant players like Namestikov in a separate transaction. I hope this is the tact the Rangers are taking.

Nieves and McKegg.

Reactions: Avery16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad