Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed. It’s extremely unlikely that Grieg becomes a 40 goal guy.

I’ll be stoked if he becomes an excellent checking centre who brings offence, speed, grit, and of course a high level of defensive acumen.

That’s how I see him in the NHL
I hope he can get 20-25 goals and 20-25 assists for 45-50 points a season. Not as good as Debrincat but very good production for a late first round draft pick.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I have liked what I have seen so far of Ridley Greig; however, I do not think he is going to replace Debrincat's output in the next few years nor possibly over their careers.

Signing Debrincat should be a priority for the team. Hopefully a long term contract of 7 or 8 years at about $8M AAV.
While I agree with you acquiring a RD also seems to be a high priority, not to mention a good young future goalie who can grow with the team. DeBrindecat has value & could or should return a good player back however there are no guarantees in trades & he might not. It's a tough call & it could go either way but they know what they have in DeBrincat & could keep him too. Greig may never be as good but I think we all agree he will be good, whether he ends up better or not remains to be seen but he does fill a need.

Reactions: Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Okay, I'll talk about the elephant in the room - is it slightly disconcerting that he hasn't scored yet? Yes, he's doing a ton of things well - great 200 foot player, very defensively responsible, and he does have three assists and is a plus two. The fact that he hasn't scored in his first six NHL games, though, tells you that scoring in this league is tough, and that we may need to dial it back a bit on our expectations for him. On a good team, I see Greig as a great third line winger who can also take draws when needed, a guy who kills penalties, plays tough and can chip in offensively on occasion. Basically, Nick Foligno 2.0.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Okay, I'll talk about the elephant in the room - is it slightly disconcerting that he hasn't scored yet? Yes, he's doing a ton of things well - great 200 foot player, very defensively responsible, and he does have three assists and is a plus two. The fact that he hasn't scored in his first six NHL games, though, tells you that scoring in this league is tough, and that we may need to dial it back a bit on our expectations for him. On a good team, I see Greig as a great third line winger who can also take draws when needed, a guy who kills penalties, plays tough and can chip in offensively on occasion. Basically, Nick Foligno 2.0.
No, not sure why it would be. He's a 20 year old and has played 6 games.

Would it really be any different if he had 1 goal and 2 assists?

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No, not sure why it would be. He's a 20 year old and has played 6 games.

Would it really be any different if he had 1 goal and 2 assists?
Yep, because goal scoring is more valued and more difficult to find. One of our issues right now is finding guys outside of 19, 7, 28, 12 and 19 to score occasionally. After a nice start, Pinto has gone ice cold. I know it's a lot of ask of a rookie but yes, I was hoping that Greig would have a couple by now.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yep, because goal scoring is more valued and more difficult to find. One of our issues right now is finding guys outside of 19, 7, 28, 12 and 19 to score occasionally. After a nice start, Pinto has gone ice cold. I know it's a lot of ask of a rookie but yes, I was hoping that Greig would have a couple by now.
So, if he had a puck bounce off his shinpad and fall into the net for a goal on his stat sheet, it would be acceptable because he scored in his first 6 games?

He's creating, a ton. He will score, no doubt about that. The fact he has 0 after 6 games is almost entirely irrelevant in projecting his future.

Union2017

Welcome to Ottawa, Michael Andlauer.
Feb 23, 2018
Ottawa
DeBrincat had one goal in his fist 12 NHL games (scored in his 4th game) - so he is not productive player?

Motte scored two goals in his first 6 games - he is a goal scoring machine, right?

Let's give a kid a bit more time to settle down.

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is not an Elephant in the room if you are watching the games. For a player in his first 6 games he has shown way more upside than a third line left winger. Patience people..... SIX GAMES. He is 20.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Fair enough - I definitely need to be more patient with prospects, and just to be clear I still think he's an extremely valuable asset. (I always liked Foligno, so when I make that comparison it's a compliment.) I guess I was looking at this through the lens of our absolute desert of secondary scoring right now, and hoping to see Greig contribute there right away. (Getting Pinto back scoring again would be helpful also.)

Reactions: operasen

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Fair enough - I definitely need to be more patient with prospects, and just to be clear I still think he's an extremely valuable asset. (I always liked Foligno, so when I make that comparison it's a compliment.) I guess I was looking at this through the lens of our absolute desert of secondary scoring right now, and hoping to see Greig contribute there right away. (Getting Pinto back scoring again would be helpful also.)
He might still end up like Foligno, but it won't be based on only his first 6 games. :)

Reactions: Union2017

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Ridly has it he just has to get stronger to play his game in the NHL imo. Its unfortunate Belleville hasn't iced a better team to be part of.
Kasty is a bottom 6/ 4th line player that can help with face offs and can bring more physicality.

Maybe after the TDL we see Greig again back in the top 6 where he can contribute and get better sheltered.

Last edited:

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend

Ridly has it he just has to get stronger to play his game in the NHL imo. Its unfortunate Belleville hasn't iced a better team to be part of.
Kasty is a bottom 6/ 4th line player that can help with face offs and can bring more physicality.

Maybe after the TDL we see Greig again back in the top 6 where he can contribute and get better sheltered.

He has even seeing less ice time lately, and most of it with the bottom 6 players. Makes sense to swap him with Kasty for now.

Showed flashes, but not enough to stick around.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's had a taste so he'll be hungry come next year. Marinate him a little longer. He has value. Plus he'll be a fan favourite.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This will be a good test for development psychos. He got some NHL games a little early in his development let’s see if it completely derails his NHL career.

Reactions: NB613

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s not early in his development, he’s a 20 year old 1st round pick. Expectation is that he should get games.
I agree. I think all your best AHLers should get tastes here and there.
I don’t think it hurts their development at all and if anything, helps it

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd have kept him around and sat Gambrell. He didn't look bad here.
I've resigned myself to the fact that Gambrell is going to keep playing until we get a new GM and coach. Dorion inexplicably re-signed Gambrell in the summer, and Smith loves him the way Boucher loved Pyatt. I'd agree that Greig contributes more than Gambrell (and Kelly and Watson, for that matter) but at the same time it's hard to disagree with the notion that the organization was right the first time - Greig needs a full year in the AHL to get stronger and learn the pro game.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He’s not early in his development, he’s a 20 year old 1st round pick. Expectation is that he should get games.
Late first round pick. not all 1st round picks are equal.

#28 overall the year before him (2019) has zero NHL games. 2018 got games last year. 2017 has seen 1 game, this year. 2016 has seen 2 games this year 1 last year.

Over that 5 year stretch he has had NHL games before any of them and has the second most overall despite being the youngest.

And he is 20th is games played from his draft year.

The fact that he has gotten games already shows he is progressing very nicely.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad