Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Compared to getting ejected and running around in the preseason?

He is playing great, I just expected more sandpaper

He’s only played two games against relativity non-physical lineups where we’ve had the lead for much of the game.

I just need to see more situations.

You may well be right - Stutzle stopped trying to hit everyone to his and the team’s benefit.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
going into last season he was def overrated as a 2C

So much so people were saying last year would have been different if he played which does not seem to be the case

these guys take a while to develop
I think I thought Pinto would become a 4th or 3rd line C at best in the NHL. I did not see him developing into a 1st or 2nd line C. It would be great if he did develop into a 2nd line C.

Reactions: HSF

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think I thought Pinto would become a 4th or 3rd line C at best in the NHL. I did not see him developing into a 1st or 2nd line C. It would be great if he did develop into a 2nd line C.
He has the potential IMO, he's big, good at faceoffs, good defensively, has a good hard shot & goes to the front of the net. He's also in the running for rookie of the yr, he has been great for this team & will only get better.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He has the potential IMO, he's big, good at faceoffs, good defensively, has a good hard shot & goes to the front of the net. He's also in the running for rookie of the yr, he has been great for this team & will only get better.
He does not seem to have the offensive skills to be a top 1 or 2 C.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This would be a pretty good top nine for next yr no matter how you shuffle them.

Tkachuk - Norris - DeBrincat
Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Giroux
I would spin those a bit differently but I like the players.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Something about Greig reminds me of Corey Perry. Maybe not the same calibre in terms of goal scoring, but kid’s got the same level of compete and appears to be pesky. Creates more than he scores with passes and good instincts on the forecheck.

Defensively looks solid, could be a shorthanded threat on the PK.

Looks like a gem, his game will be even better as he packs more meat. Nah not the Nick Paul kind. Needs to stay out of the I.R., but looks composed thus far.

Super impressed!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
lets not over rate him like we did Pinto and have him penciled into the top 6 for next year

Let him go into next season developing on the 3rd line and see what happens

I don't think we have room for him in the top 6...unless of course we do the balanced top 9, which I actually prefer.

Having him and Pinto and formenton/Joseph makes for a great 3 lines.

I just hope the team has a good plan in place to get him a good 5+ pounds of muscle on in the summer. His style of game, he needs it (without losing footspeed).

All lower body explosion and core strength.

Follow the Marty st Louis training method.

More realistic though, is getting Alfie to show him some things when it comes to training. He too often missed time due to injuries but was able to become one of the strongest pound for pound first liners.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Something about Greig reminds me of Corey Perry. Maybe not the same calibre in terms of goal scoring, but kid’s got the same level of compete and appears to be pesky. Creates more than he scores with passes and good instincts on the forecheck.

Defensively looks solid, could be a shorthanded threat on the PK.

Looks like a gem, his game will be even better as he packs more meat. Nah not the Nick Paul kind. Needs to stay out of the I.R., but looks composed thus far.

Super impressed!

I like Mike Peca as a comparison. Mike Richards isn't bad either.

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I don't think we have room for him in the top 6...unless of course we do the balanced top 9, which I actually prefer.

Having him and Pinto and formenton/Joseph makes for a great 3 lines.

All lower body explosion and core strength.

Follow the Marty st Louis training method.

More realistic though, is getting Alfie to show him some things when it comes to training. He too often missed time due to injuries but was able to become one of the strongest pound for pound first liners.
Didn’t Alfie train with Tony Greco? Giroux still does IIRC

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He has been spoken to. After he returned from a concussion earlier this season the Senators told him he has to improve his on-ice awareness and stop being so reckless.
How do you know this? Do you have contacts with the team coaching staff?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
He does not seem to have the offensive skills to be a top 1 or 2 C.
Not today, but he has been very good for a rookie & is in the rookie race. Think about his potential in 3 yrs when he puts on more weight & gets a lot more experience, he should only get better. Look at Tkachuk's progression, don't know if Pinto's will be similar, but he will get better.

Reactions: Samsquanch

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Not today, but he has been very good for a rookie & is in the rookie race. Think about his potential in 3 yrs when he puts on more weight & gets a lot more experience, he should only get better. Look at Tkachuk's progression, don't know if Pinto's will be similar, but he will get better.

I feel bad for Pinto because that lost year last season was a major setback for him and his career. He's still got major potential to be a great middle 6 type of guy, maybe even more, but there's holes in his game that weren't noticeable at first imo. He didn't look good on the 2nd line for a long time.

But the tools are all there and he's going to score 20-30 goals at his peak with that shot of his.

Having said that, Greig just seems to have more of "it" than Pinto imo. Small sample size, sure. But Greig has been this kind of consistently great Frontline player everywhere he's played at every stage. He's got an extra offensive gear to use over Pinto, and sees the ice better. And he's a better skater too, which surprised me. But he's slick out there.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel bad for Pinto because that lost year last season was a major setback for him and his career. He's still got major potential to be a great middle 6 type of guy, maybe even more, but there's holes in his game that weren't noticeable at first imo. He didn't look good on the 2nd line for a long time.

But the tools are all there and he's going to score 20-30 goals at his peak with that shot of his.

Having said that, Greig just seems to have more of "it" than Pinto imo. Small sample size, sure. But Greig has been this kind of consistently great Frontline player everywhere he's played at every stage. He's got an extra offensive gear to use over Pinto, and sees the ice better. And he's a better skater too, which surprised me. But he's slick out there.

This happens quite often with young guys. They come into the league and look amazing until they hit a wall. It's been similar for many players we've seen here in the past and throughout the league. Pinto looked very good to start the year as 3rd line C with Motte and Joseph, everyone on the line was contributing and Pinto was racking up PP points. That line was creating a lot with their speed and were getting weak matchups since other teams were focusing on the Norris and Stutzle lines. They created off the rush.

Now take that rookie and put him in a role with a lot more pressure and tough matchups, it's pretty rare to see a young guy run with that type of assignment. Batherson wasn't helping much either and Pinto is a north-south player that was playing with east-west wingers. Pinto isn't a 2nd line center and having him in that position at this point isn't optimal. I'm not ready to say Greig has a better offensive ceiling after 4 games. Both of these players have proved they have that "it" factor in the past, probably Pinto moreso than Greig.

10 games into the year Pinto looked like he'd be in the run for the calder. Sample size is just too small to make judgement calls but very happy Greig is playing well so far.

Reactions: aragorn and NB613

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I thought that Greig was being sent down to Belleville for the break in order to play in the AHL All-Star game. Next thing I know, it's actually Sokolov who is there representing Belleville. Did I hear that wrong, or did plans change?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I thought that Greig was being sent down to Belleville for the break in order to play in the AHL All-Star game. Next thing I know, it's actually Sokolov who is there representing Belleville. Did I hear that wrong, or did plans change?
They sent him down to continue to get reps and practice as he has missed alot of development time. He was never going over Sokolov. Egor is leading the team in scoring by 11 points.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I feel bad for Pinto because that lost year last season was a major setback for him and his career.

Yes it is, injuries impact is often not taken in consideration enough

Look at Wolanin and how it set him back a few years ago, now he seems to be right on track and has a major season in the AHL. If he can keep it up and might eventually be able to salvage half a NHL career

Same thing for Balcers, he was well on his way to become a regular until he got injured at training camp. He eventually made it but seems very injury prone though so that has to stop or he'll be out of the league soon

Cowen was never the same player (looked promising in his rookie season) after he missed a full season

Crookshank was going to make the team last year before his injury. Now after missing a full season, it's far from guaranteed.

Next season could be a better for Pinto, he's still young and recovering from that missed season. Plus him being forced into a bigger role considering that context was far from ideal.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Straight from the horse's mouth (Troy Mann):

There’s been a lot of buzz around Mark Kastelic, Ridly Greig and Mads Søgaard being returned from Ottawa. How will that affect this team, and will we see any of them this weekend?

“We’ll see Søgaard for sure. He’ll be at the morning skate tomorrow and I still have to discuss with Goaltending Coach Justin Peters, but I anticipate him starting. Kastelic is actually nursing a minor upper body injury and isn’t quite ready, so he won’t be available until next week, but will join us for the trip in Cleveland and will play next Friday night. Ridly Greig will come down and get three practices in, then take part in the AHL All-Star Break. After that, the organization will reassess what the plan is for him.”

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I wasn't comparing Pinto to Greig, I like Greig & agree with you. My point was that Pinto also has very good potential & the fact that he was pushed into a 2nd line role as a rookie was asking a lot. I still think he did well but when you are on a 2nd line you are usually matched up with good vet players & at times took advantage but I thought he held his own in a lot of games.

IMO he has all the tools to be a future top six centre but with Norris & Stutzle ahead of him when they are healthy it could be a while. Greig is also going to be a very good player for this team at centre or on the wing. With his emmersion you have to wonder whether that makes signing DeBrincat less of a priority.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wasn't comparing Pinto to Greig, I like Greig & agree with you. My point was that Pinto also has very good potential & the fact that he was pushed into a 2nd line role as a rookie was asking a lot. I still think he did well but when you are on a 2nd line you are usually matched up with good vet players & at times took advantage but I thought he held his own in a lot of games.

IMO he has all the tools to be a future top six centre but with Norris & Stutzle ahead of him when they are healthy it could be a while. Greig is also going to be a very good player for this team at centre or on the wing. With his emmersion you have to wonder whether that makes signing DeBrincat less of a priority.
I have liked what I have seen so far of Ridley Greig; however, I do not think he is going to replace Debrincat's output in the next few years nor possibly over their careers.

Signing Debrincat should be a priority for the team. Hopefully a long term contract of 7 or 8 years at about $8M AAV.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have liked what I have seen so far of Ridley Greig; however, I do not think he is going to replace Debrincat's output in the next few years nor possibly over their careers.

Signing Debrincat should be a priority for the team. Hopefully a long term contract of 7 or 8 years at about $8M AAV.
Agreed. It’s extremely unlikely that Grieg becomes a 40 goal guy.

I’ll be stoked if he becomes an excellent checking centre who brings offence, speed, grit, and of course a high level of defensive acumen.

That’s how I see him in the NHL

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad