Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Great start for the Riddler. But a lot of adrenaline still, we'll see how he settles in before declaring him here for the rest of the season. But he has been developing really well. Tme well spent in Belleville it seems. If he could develop into a Mike Richards role, that would be a great high bar for him to strive for.

Reactions: bert

SquidNasty

Dec 8, 2021
God I love this player.

One thing I’m tired of hearing though is all the people saying “why was he even in the minors in the first place!” No such thing as letting a prospect cook for too long and those 30ish games in the AHL were much better for his development than starting the season in Ottawa on the 4th line.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This would be a pretty good top nine for next yr no matter how you shuffle them.

Tkachuk - Norris - DeBrincat
Greig - Stutzle - Batherson
Formenton - Pinto - Giroux
Man, I really hope Formenton is back next year.

Reactions: aragorn

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I’d still take Pinto over him. The biggest concern with Ridly isn’t play it’s inability to stay healthy.

Great start. I love his compete level. Seems like a guy who has that inner drive cranked to a higher level. Hopefully as he gains man strength the injuries become fewer and further apart.

Yeah but Pinto also missed 77 games last season... It's not like we have a lot of guys who rarely get injured and when we have them we trade them anyway

I think it's the skill part people have underrated with Greig. That's usually what poor initial scouting reports do. Just like "3rd line C" label stuck too long for Josh Norris, for example

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yeah but Pinto also missed 77 games last season... It's not like we have a lot of guys who rarely get injured and when we have them we trade them anyway

I think it's the skill part people have underrated with Greig. That's usually what poor initial scouting reports do. Just like "3rd line C" label stuck too long for Josh Norris, for example
Based on the games I have seen of both players (Pinto more than Greig), they seem to have similar skills and might have similar value. Too early to say. I would like to retain both players for our bottom six.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

I wanted the sens to target Greig predraft, I’m not surprised.

That said, Greig’s injury history is hardly comparable to Pinto’s. Pinto had a one off severe injury from an awkward hit into the boards. Greig on the other hand is frequently nicked up and missing time.

The latter is more concerning as a pattern than the former.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
God I love this player.

One thing I’m tired of hearing though is all the people saying “why was he even in the minors in the first place!” No such thing as letting a prospect cook for too long and those 30ish games in the AHL were much better for his development than starting the season in Ottawa on the 4th line.
Wild isn't it?

But that's Sens Twitter for you, I guess. A bunch of pathologically obnoxious mid-wits who have taken the default position that everything the Senators organization does is incorrect, so obviously they didn't know what they had in Ridly Greig. People who aren't even observant enough to recognize correct player development when it is playing out in real time right before their eyes.

These are the same people that were braying endlessly about how the organization was mishandling Logan Brown. And Christian Wolanin. And Max Lajoie. And Filip Chlapik. And Vitaly Abramov. And Jonathan Dahlen. And Christian Jaros. And Rudolfs Balcers.

...and yet, none of those guys can play a lick. But they know better.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I had plenty of arguments with people when we acquired Norris & I suggested he had 1st line potential, maybe you were one of them? :laugh:

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I had plenty of arguments with people when we acquired Norris & I suggested he had 1st line potential, maybe you were one of them? :laugh:
However we got here, we went from “who will even be our first line C” a few years ago to west we are now. The outlook is looking bright at C, even if this year has been a challenge.

Reactions: aragorn

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I just hope the team has a good plan in place to get him a good 5+ pounds of muscle on in the summer. His style of game, he needs it (without losing footspeed).

Reactions: Bileur

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Greig is a hockey players hockey player. Alfie type, I love it.

Also I get that development at lower level is important. But when he started finding his stride there and considering we were playing Brassard in the top six and pinto was struggling and we were still in the playoffs race. Would it not have been worth to call up Greig and try him for a game or two ? Would it have hurt anyone?

A shit load of players from his draft have already been playing games and it truly is a young man's game. Worst case he sucks and still needs more seasoning.

Best case he sticks and is one of our most complete forwards, like he is now, and we see better hockey and win more games and are right in the playoff hunt.

Reactions: bicboi64

SensFan1010

Dec 18, 2019
lets not over rate him like we did Pinto and have him penciled into the top 6 for next year

Let him go into next season developing on the 3rd line and see what happens
I dont think we over rated Pinto I think he just ended up on the 2nd line because of the norris injury.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Greig gets injured more often than Pinto so far.

Anyways i would say keep Both. You need forwards like these guys in your middle 6 if you ever want to have the chance of sniffing a cup. We seen teams get top 4 D for way less. But if you put a gun to my head and we had to move one. It would be Greig.

Reactions: Alex1234 and Bileur

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I wanted the sens to target Greig predraft, I’m not surprised.

That said, Greig’s injury history is hardly comparable to Pinto’s. Pinto had a one off severe injury from an awkward hit into the boards. Greig on the other hand is frequently nicked up and missing time.

The latter is more concerning as a pattern than the former.

Yeah I get your point and his playing style is certainly not helping. I hope he gets the right advices and adjust his game

Based on the games I have seen of both players (Pinto more than Greig), they seem to have similar skills and might have similar value. Too early to say. I would like to retain both players for our bottom six.
Pinto is more of a shooter 2-way player. He's in the same mold as Norris. Greig is a multi-faceted player who is a better playmaker than goal scorer. Both are really nice assets and one thing I appreciate is that Dorion never traded these young studs for immediate help

I was one of the very few who defended Dorion in the Karlsson trade, and Norris was a big reason for that. I also said that I thought the Sharks 1st could be good after they let Pavelski go (and their core was aging). Didn't expect 3rd overall good though!

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn and Bileur

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I dont think we over rated Pinto I think he just ended up on the 2nd line because of the norris injury.
going into last season he was def overrated as a 2C

So much so people were saying last year would have been different if he played which does not seem to be the case

these guys take a while to develop

Reactions: Cosmix

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Having Greig & Pinto is a real luxury for this team, two good young two way players who bring some energy, can play centre or wing, both play with some edge, both can play on special teams, both are good at faceoffs & possession & both can contribute offensively & defensively. Two very good young players that improve the team & they will only get better.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad